Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Ryan Babel (Liverpool)

Read 16326 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Ryan Babel (Liverpool)
      Jan 02, 2010 11:56:55 pm
      Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez rules out sale of Babel

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8438149.stm

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has ruled out selling Dutch forward Ryan Babel in the January transfer window.

The 23-year-old Babel joined from Ajax in 2007 for an £11.5m fee, but has failed to start regularly and has been linked with a move away from Anfield.

"He (Babel) will have a chance to play," said Benitez after his side's 1-1 FA Cup draw with Reading.

"He has to work hard. He's our player and he will have his chances. At this moment we are not trying to sell him."

The Netherlands striker, who is currently sidelined with an ankle injury, has often found himself playing out of position on the left flank and has scored just nine league goals since arriving at Anfield.

In December 2008 Babel tried and failed to engineer a loan move to former club Ajax.

Benitez refused to be drawn on the possibility of Dutch pair Ruud van Nistelrooy and Rafael van der Vaart arriving from Real Madrid, only saying it would be "very, very difficult" to sign players this month.

Newspaper reports have linked the Dutch pair with loan moves to Liverpool, while speculation has also focused on the possible departures from Anfield of Andriy Voronin, Andrea Dossena and Philipp Degen.

Voronin has been on holiday in Miami over the Christmas period, having been frozen out by Benitez since a disappointing appearance in the Champions League draw in Lyon.

Atletico Madrid's winger Maxi Rodriguez and Greece international full-back Vasil Torosidis have also been linked with moves to Liverpool.

Liverpool are short of cover at right-back with Glen Johnson out for up to two months with a knee injury, while 19-year-old Martin Kelly is also currently sidelined.

Asked if he was considering signing a full-back, Benitez said: "Yes, we are working hard (on transfers) and trying to do our jobs, and we'll see if we can do something.

He added: "We are looking in the market but it's not easy to find good players available because the majority of them are playing in top sides. But we are trying to find solutions if we can.

"We have some good players who people are interested in because they're not playing too many games for us, but we have to manage carefully."
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Ryan Babel (Liverpool)
      Reply #1: Jan 03, 2010 12:40:46 am
      Off in the summer instead then :laugh:
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Jan 03, 2010 12:42:18 am
      Hmm.

Just because he said that doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

He could just be being safe. If he came out with 'yes, we're getting rid' and then no deals came about it would look pretty bad.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3: Jan 03, 2010 12:43:33 am
      From that i take it Voronin and Dossena are top of the list to go.
      dave09
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts | -1 
      Reply #4: Jan 03, 2010 03:27:51 am
      he is hardly goin to come out and say yes we want rid of him,unless he did an arry redknapp sellng darren bent of course
      he wiil swop him for turan hopefully
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5: Jan 03, 2010 03:59:50 am
      Id say Rafa has priorities in what he wants to let go, and Babel wouldn't be top of that. But i doubt he has ruled it out completely, just isn't top of the list.
      ForzaNino
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 88 posts | -2 
      Reply #6: Jan 03, 2010 06:05:39 am
      i remember when Rafa was being interviewed in the post match last season, and he was asked if he will sell Robbie Keane, he said "No..."
      but then, the next day..Robbie Keane was sold back to Spurs.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #7: Jan 03, 2010 08:50:33 am
      Means lesser money for us to spend this time round. :D
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #8: Jan 03, 2010 10:46:49 am
      Liverpool are short of cover at right-back with Glen Johnson out for up to two months with a knee injury, while 19-year-old Martin Kelly is also currently sidelined.

Are they serious?
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #9: Jan 03, 2010 11:03:42 am
      I hope Babel doesnt turn into one those players who just wont F**k off when theyre not wanted.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #10: Jan 03, 2010 11:25:24 am
      I hope Babel doesnt turn into one those players who just wont F**k off when theyre not wanted.

Same
      I hope he turns into one of those players who decides to book his ideas up and just starts working for his place in the squad.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #11: Jan 03, 2010 11:47:45 am
      I only hope Rafa's comments are code for

'Please somebody buy Ryan Babel.'
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #12: Jan 03, 2010 11:55:38 am
      I only hope Rafa's comments are code for

'Please somebody buy Ryan Babel.'

He's playing a blinder trying to get back as much of his 11 million as possible :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #13: Jan 04, 2010 03:42:33 am

I think Darby is the only fit right back, so at this stage they are serious and correct.
      dave09
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts | -1 
      Reply #14: Jan 04, 2010 04:33:04 am
      yeah he wont admit he will sell him,but a decent enough offer and he will
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #15: Jan 04, 2010 01:01:49 pm
      Same
      I hope he turns into one of those players who decides to book his ideas up and just starts working for his place in the squad.

If he does buck his ideas up it can only be at training because he will not get played despite the appalling form of Kuyt.

LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #16: Jan 04, 2010 02:03:12 pm
      If he does buck his ideas up it can only be at training because he will not get played despite the appalling form of Kuyt.

Totally disagree Kuyts work rate has been second ton none , Think you have been watching differant games to me!
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #17: Jan 04, 2010 02:18:27 pm
      I think Darby is the only fit right back, so at this stage they are serious and correct.

Degen is not injured, is he? And Kelly should be back in 2 weeks. I don't think buying a right back is of any priority at the moment
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #18: Jan 04, 2010 02:27:05 pm
      Totally disagree Kuyts work rate has been second ton none , Think you have been watching differant games to me!

Big difference between form and effort though, mate. I could never fault Kuyt's workrate but I'm losing count of the number of attacking moves that break down due to his poor first touch or hurried pass.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #19: Jan 04, 2010 02:43:56 pm
      Babel & kuyt have the worst first touch I have ever seen in any dutch players. ;D.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #20: Jan 04, 2010 03:51:52 pm

I thought the poster was referring to Babel upping his work ethic not Kuyt - I dont disagree with Kuyts work rate its his performances that have been shocking.
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #21: Jan 04, 2010 05:28:13 pm
      We have Kelly, Degen and Darby for right-back. Rafa said that Kelly should be back in 1 week. I think Darby and Kelly are great, just a matter of playing games.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #22: Jan 04, 2010 06:23:18 pm
      From the title, I thought we'd somehow resigned him!

Quick Reply