Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

What is up with our Captain ?

Read 12680 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: What is up with our Captain ?
      Reply #115: Mar 24, 2010 07:09:26 am
      It says a lot that his best performance recently was against Portsmouth, but then he and Nando weren't isolated. It looked like our front two were enjoying the support of Aquilani - and the wide midfielders were getting up.
      No, Stevie is still StevieG

I agree with that mate, I seen a different Stevie against Pompey, the same Stevie that was enjoying himself on the pitch last season, take away the supply line (Man Utd), and he reverted back to the same Stevie we have been seeing all season long.
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 269 posts |
      Reply #116: Mar 24, 2010 11:56:24 am
      I agree with that mate, I seen a different Stevie against Pompey, the same Stevie that was enjoying himself on the pitch last season, take away the supply line (Man Utd), and he reverted back to the same Stevie we have been seeing all season long.

Agreed, the lack of creativity behind him with the exception of aquilani on occasions, has not been there since alonso, its obvious. But you expect a bit of adaptability from a world-class player no?

LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #117: Mar 24, 2010 11:59:53 am
      Fact- Gerrard has been carrying a groin injury all season. Due to the powers that be an op has been put off because of our s.hit squad.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #118: Mar 24, 2010 12:05:46 pm
      sh*t Squad??  Who do you support??!

Agreed he looks happier when Nando is on the pitch- And lately Aquliani too!

He just wants some creatlivity- someone to read the game- read his passes!
      No-one read him quite like Torres!
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #119: Mar 24, 2010 12:15:10 pm
      Sh*t Squad??  Who do you support??!

Agreed he looks happier when Nando is on the pitch- And lately Aquliani too!

He just wants some creatlivity- someone to read the game- read his passes!
      No-one read him quite like Torres!

Oh good God.
      « Last Edit: Mar 24, 2010 12:27:20 pm by LFC-Red »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #120: Mar 24, 2010 12:33:18 pm

I used to Support God, then just like most good books I found out he was a fictional character. :)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #121: Mar 24, 2010 12:36:45 pm
      Agreed, the lack of creativity behind him with the exception of aquilani on occasions, has not been there since alonso, its obvious. But you expect a bit of adaptability from a world-class player no?

Yes you do, but any forward/attacking midfielder is only as good as the service they receive, if the service they receive is poor, how do you adapt to that. ?

The obvious answer to me is Gerrards not at fault and the only way to adapt to that scenario is to play a more creative player, step forward Aquilani as he did against Pompey, Gerrard and both Nando thrive on quick incisive forward passing, something Lucas & Mascherano do not give us.
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 269 posts |
      Reply #122: Mar 24, 2010 01:08:57 pm

The obvious answer to me is Gerrards not at fault and the only way to adapt to that scenario is to play a more creative player, step forward Aquilani as he did against Pompey, Gerrard and both Nando thrive on quick incisive forward passing, something Lucas & Mascherano do not give us.

The only problem I see there is that Aquilani is not defensively sound, in fact he's not defensive at all, he played just behind totti for roma.

The real question is who can juggle the defensive responsibilities and still provide the quick and decisive service to gerrard and torres? Well besides alonso there is:

Pirlo, Barry, erm.... no one we can buy... unless we can turn albert into that player, but i doubt it.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #123: Mar 24, 2010 01:14:53 pm
      The only problem I see there is that Aquilani is not defensively sound, in fact he's not defensive at all, he played just behind totti for roma.

The real question is who can juggle the defensive responsibilities and still provide the quick and decisive service to gerrard and torres? Well besides alonso there is:

Pirlo, Barry, erm.... no one we can buy... unless we can turn albert into that player, but i doubt it.

If Masch is left to do what he done so well alongside Xabi and protect his back 4 leaving Aquilani, Maxi, Bennayoun/Babel, Gerrard and Torres to the damage up top, I honestly do not think that will be a problem as seen against Portsmouth, two defensive minded midfielders offers no balance and stifles our ability to be creative with the ball, which leaves Torres and Gerrard isolated and coming deep for the ball or foraging for scraps.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #124: Mar 24, 2010 01:16:53 pm
      The problem is the formation.

The 4-4-1-1 system does NOT work without a playmaking centre midfielder. It was great when Alonso played, and it looked great against Portsmouth.

It's time for Aquilani to stay fit. If Rafa decides to play Lucas instead, then he needs to alter the way we play, because there is no link between the midfield and Gerrard/Torres, when Masch and Lucas play together.

Our next 4 fixtures are against Sunderland, Birmingham, Fulham and Burnley. I'll be shocked if Aquilani doesn't play in at least 3 of these games, and hopefully this will coincide with improved performance by Gerrard!
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 269 posts |
      Reply #125: Mar 24, 2010 01:20:56 pm
      yeah but masch is only a man, i think he needs a bit of help from time to time - i see the solution being a change in formation personally - lets go to 4-4-2 for a bit - masch/lucas next to gerrard/aquilani - gerrard can still get forward but he's more old school box-to-box gerrard. This scanerio also means we need another striker which is a problem, but if we got someone like villa, this is the only way i could see us play.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #126: Mar 24, 2010 01:24:22 pm
      Let's face it we won't get Villa.

We have got Jovanovic on a free and I can see him being the only striker we get this summer unless some investment is made.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #127: Mar 24, 2010 01:35:11 pm
      Simple Answer:

Havent all of our heads gone down this season??  Lifted slightly when we win, then drop again when we were knocked out the champions league, league cup & fa cup, and when we lose to yet another team??
      Stevie is possibly LFC`s biggest fan- difference between him and us is- he gets to make a difference in the games!

I think everyone is analysing this way to much- He wasnt like this last season- And this season has been shocking to say the least!
      And of course when his mates (and our best players) are injured- he will be feeling that weight on his shoulders.

Give him a chance- He will be back to himself come August.

Good post.. This for me is what it boils down to.. He's a fan AND a player, however much we pain, he pains.. People are scratching their heads going around in cirles.. The teams having a torrid time with form and so is he.
      Its like we almost have to hit the re-set button for next season. I do think its very unlikely next season will be as poop as this though.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #128: Mar 24, 2010 02:14:45 pm
      Fact- Gerrard has been carrying a groin injury all season. Due to the powers that be an op has been put off because of our s.hit squad.

Bollocks, he'd of well had it sorted by now, sh*t squad or not, there is no way he'd be missing the World Cup, doesn't look like he's had an injury lately, just hasn't look arsed!
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      Reply #129: Mar 24, 2010 02:33:22 pm
      Thats because he cant wait for this sh*te season to be over- Just like the rest of us!
      Of course he can be arsed- this is our captain we are talking about!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #130: Mar 24, 2010 02:36:27 pm
      Thats because he cant wait for this sh*te season to be over- Just like the rest of us!

Sorry, but the Steven Gerrard I've seen this season is not the one I've seen in the past.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      Reply #131: Mar 24, 2010 03:46:02 pm
      I know that- We all know that!!
      I think we will see him back to his old self next season!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #132: Mar 24, 2010 04:43:30 pm
      Sorry, but the Steven Gerrard I've seen this season is not the one I've seen in the past.

I seen the Gerrard of previous seasons enjoying himself on the pitch against Pompey, funnily enough at that time, he had players on the pitch who could actually pick out a pass. :)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #133: Mar 24, 2010 04:52:54 pm
      I seen the Gerrard of previous seasons enjoying himself on the pitch against Pompey, funnily enough at that time, he had players on the pitch who could actually pick out a pass. :)

But if he's only going to enjoy himself when he's got players to attack with (which is great to see by the way) that doesn't make him much of a captain does it mate. In the past, he would give it a go regardless of who was around him. Which is more than likely the main reason which led to him being captain.

Let's hope England get knocked out the World Cup asap so he can recuperate then come back "BIG AND F***ing HARD" next season.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #134: Mar 24, 2010 05:06:58 pm
      But if he's only going to enjoy himself when he's got players to attack with (which is great to see by the way) that doesn't make him much of a captain does it mate. In the past, he would give it a go regardless of who was around him. Which is more than likely the main reason which led to him being captain.

Let's hope England get knocked out the World Cup asap so he can recuperate then come back "BIG AND F***ing HARD" next season.

I think he enjoys himself more when there are other players who can drop deep pick up the ball and string some positive passes while he plays in the hole or vice versa if he drops deep there will be someone making a run for him to thread a pass too. Knowing there are people in the team who will not only working but work intelligently at creating space and making intelligent runs can't be underestimated in how it affects his mentality. It must be great having Aquilani, Maxi and Benni in the team beside him.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #135: Mar 24, 2010 06:35:46 pm

I just think it's hard for him to have any kind of positive impact in the role he is playing when he's not getting the right kind of service mate, I'd even go as far as saying stick Stevie back in the middle and within 3 or 4 games we'd see him back to his best as the Dynamic box to box mifielder, however playing in the hole behind Torres (oh er), restricts his ability to influence the game as it's mainly reliant on the service he receives.

If Gerrard constantly has to come deep to receive the ball with his back to goal, he's further distancing himself from Nando and Torres becomes isolated. Lucas, Mascherano, Maxi, Benni, Babel, Kuyt who ever our midfield quartet are, should be looking to feed Stevie and Nando with the ball at the earliest opportunity as we seen against Pompey with Aquilani's involvement.

I honestly think his form is largely dictated by the service he receives and to be honest some of us accept there has been a distinct lack of creativity in our side this season, well if your not creating chances for your front men, they are going to struggle to get into games mate, thats the downside of the advanced role he plays.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #136: Mar 24, 2010 06:42:53 pm

Have you even watched the games this season.???
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #137: Mar 24, 2010 07:00:06 pm
      I honestly think his form is largely dictated by the service he receives and to be honest some of us accept there has been a distinct lack of creativity in our side this season, well if your not creating chances for your front men, they are going to struggle to get into games mate, thats the downside of the advanced role he plays.

I've been saying it for a long time. And you've recently said the same thing I've said in the thread you started about creativity, in one of the player threads. So I already know what you're saying mate. It's blatantly obvious that lack of service is going isolate forward players and it can easily affect form.

But a captain should certainly lead by example and no position on the pitch should hinder the leadership. There's been times this season when I've looked at Gerrard at the match and been really startled by his body language and lack endeavor or guile. I don't think you can say the lack of creativity directly affects his attitude this season. It may well be a big factor, but it's not as cut and dried as that.

I think he enjoys himself more when there are other players who can drop deep pick up the ball and string some positive passes while he plays in the hole or vice versa if he drops deep there will be someone making a run for him to thread a pass too. Knowing there are people in the team who will not only working but work intelligently at creating space and making intelligent runs can't be underestimated in how it affects his mentality. It must be great having Aquilani, Maxi and Benni in the team beside him.

And again I agree mate. But I don't think it can be simply brushed under the carpet with the notion that it's what players he plays with. He played with some questionable players and under questionable positions when Houllier was in charge - granted not as frequent - but his attitude didn't change one bit.

I'm sorry, but as Liverpool captain. I think he could have done better at times. And I think he will do next season. I only go by what I see at the match lads and it's been different.

Quick Reply