Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Stephen Darby player thread

Read 43597 times
      prettyrabbit
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | -1 
      Re: Stephen Darby player thread
      Reply #23: May 18, 2010 08:21:21 am
      Well done Darby.
      Hope to see you at Anfield.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #24: May 18, 2010 11:35:55 am
      Played well last night, and cracking composure with the penalty.

Simply has to be competing with Johnson for right back next season. Sell Degen.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #25: May 18, 2010 12:22:23 pm
      Well done, Darby.

Nerves of steel ;)
      The Famous Kopite
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | -22 
      • Edinburgh to Liverpool 260miles 4 90mins worth it
      Reply #26: May 18, 2010 01:07:36 pm
      Cant see Darby in the 1st team at anfield WHY. as Johnson is our number 1 Right Back and Kelly our 2nd also Carra can play over the right its the same with Spearing Mach,Lucas,Aqua,Gerrard, no chance i think can see them both going on loan again next term.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #27: May 18, 2010 02:06:29 pm
      Fair play to Darby, don't think he will make the grade at Liverpool though but maybe he will be able to do a decent job for someone in the Premiership.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #28: May 18, 2010 02:45:58 pm
      Cracking performance too. Keeps improving all the time. Well in Darby lad
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #29: May 18, 2010 03:13:45 pm
      Just looked on the local paper and stephen only took 5th pen as no one else wanted to, which says even more about his temperament, spot on lad.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #30: May 18, 2010 04:19:21 pm
      Well done Stephen lad.  I'd already logged off last night when he scored but what composure to step up at such a massive moment.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #31: May 20, 2010 06:31:20 pm
      Well done to Stephen Darby, takes courage and skill to take the last pen, good Scouser he is, can't wait to see him back at Anfield when he's got a bit more experience under his belt.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #32: May 20, 2010 08:36:06 pm
      Yes, hopefully with Rafa's push for more English players he will have a better chance over say a Degen where as in the past think however much potiential he showed through academy/reserves he'd get sold on.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #33: May 20, 2010 10:33:40 pm
      I don't get why it seems that I'm the only one that sees that this lad is quality, he is a really good right back and if it wasn't for Johnson and Kelly ahead of him I think he would have a great future at this club. When he played for the first team he was more than competent and handled things clearly down his side, he's one of our only defenders that isn't easily sucked into the middle.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #34: May 21, 2010 05:10:01 am
      Only switched on for the shoot-out, cracker of a pen, the commentator said he may have been at fault for one of the goals for Charlton and that he had redeemed himself. Can anyone confirm (or deny) that?
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #35: Sep 27, 2010 04:04:16 pm
      Word is Southampton are weighing up making a loan move for him.

Liverpool: Darby To Be Loaned Again

Stephen Darby was named in the Liverpool squad for the Premier League season however the right back isn't that likely to feature much in the first team this season. Due to this it's believed that Roy Hodgson is prepared to let the 21 year old leave Merseyside for another loan spell in the Football League.

Having enjoyed a successful loan with Swindon last season, scoring the penalty that helped Swindon into the League One play off final, a return to League One is rumoured to be on the cards with Southampton making a move for the defenders services. It's believed that Stephen would like to return to Swindon again however they've not made a move for the Reds youth academy graduate.

http://www.liverpool.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=214827
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #36: Sep 27, 2010 04:05:55 pm
      Good player, hopefully he goes and gets some more games under his belt and comes back to challenge for the first team.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #37: Sep 30, 2010 03:52:40 am
      Agree...he needs games of a proper standard. No point him hanging around in the reserves.
      Also, if he progresses it boded well for the fullback competition if kelly keeps up his fantastic progression
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #38: Sep 30, 2010 11:24:38 am
      why only teams from league-two are expressing interest for this player, maybe he isn't for the standard of Championship??
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #39: Nov 01, 2010 06:38:27 pm
      Stephen Darby has joined Notts County on loan.

Hope the lad gets some first team football there, like to be fair to the lad, he wasen't going to get as much as he hoped here.  sad sight to see him go from playing in the Champions League a few years ago to playing in the lower leagues now.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #40: Nov 29, 2010 02:20:36 pm
      Liverpool defender could now stay with Magpies for season

NOTTS County manager Paul Ince has revealed Liverpool defender Stephen Darby could now stay at Meadow Lane for the rest of the season – which could spell the end of club captain John Thompson's career at Meadow Lane.

Darby, 22, has been favoured at right-back ahead of Thompson since joining the Magpies at the start of this month.

He has started the last four games, and produced his best performance as Notts kept a first clean-sheet in five league games in a 1-0 win against Swindon Town on Tuesday night.

Ince has been hugely impressed with the youngster, and said Liverpool might be prepared to let him stay at Meadow Lane until May, though they are unlikely to let Notts extend the loan of Ince's son, Thomas, beyond January.

"Darbs has not had a bad game. He has been exceptional from the very first day he came here," said Ince. "He's only 22 but plays with a lot of maturity.

"He has good awareness and always puts himself in good positions. He's brave too. He will put his foot in and put his body on the line for the team.

"Thomas might have to go back, but hopefully we can keep Darbs.

"He's been schooled well at Liverpool and he's playing well at the moment. He is the type of player we want to bring into the side. We want to raise the bar."

Thompson has not played since being sent off in the first game of Ince's reign at Meadow Lane, a home league defeat to Southampton at the end of October and was not even in Notts' squad in two of their last three league games.

It is a remarkable change of fortune for the 29-year-old, who started 12 of the opening 13 league games of the season under Ince's predecessor Craig Short, who was urging the club's board to give Thompson a new deal.

After joining Notts in October 2008, Thompson is out of contract at the end of the season, and might not get an opportunity to prove his worth to Ince if Darby stays at the club.

Ince has already told one of the club's defenders, Graeme Lee, he has no future at Meadow Lane, and would not say if Thompson is part of his plans.

"I'm not making an assessment on anyone," he said. "Stephen Darby has come into the club and played absolutely fantastic."

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/nottscounty/nottsnews/Liverpool-defender-stay-Magpies-season/article-2943899-detail/article.html

Sounds to me like Ince is hinting that he wants him there permanently.  I think it would be a good move for all involved.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #41: Nov 29, 2010 03:44:26 pm
      Two things. I think this would be a good move for Stephen. Secondly. . . Ince being sounded out for a return in January worries me about Dani's future with us. Both can play on the left with Ince being a more traditional winger
      Fowler kop hero
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      Reply #42: Jan 30, 2011 02:28:56 pm
      Anyone watching the lad today?
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #43: Jan 30, 2011 03:27:28 pm

yep I've got one eye on it (and one on the Nando sale thread!)
      seems to be having a reasonable game so far
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #44: Jan 30, 2011 04:54:24 pm
      Darby had a good game today, So did the whole Notts side but had my eye on young Darby. Looks like he will be a great players with experience.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #45: Jan 30, 2011 10:55:59 pm
      Played well today, got some good tackles in.

Quick Reply