Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Stephen Darby player thread

Read 43594 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Stephen Darby player thread
      Reply #46: Jan 31, 2011 06:13:10 am
      Had a very solid game for Notts yesterday.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #47: Jul 06, 2011 11:17:04 am

Quartet eye Darby move
      Doncaster, Rochdale, MK Dons & Oldham eye Reds starlet

By Pete O'Rourke
      Last Updated: July 6, 2011 11:03am

Skysports.com understands a number of clubs are chasing Liverpool defender Stephen Darby.

Doncaster and League One trio Rochdale, MK Dons and Oldham are all thought to have enquired about the full-back's availability.

The quartet are waiting to see if Liverpool would be prepared to loan him out again or even consider selling the former youth team captain.

Darby spent the majority of last season on loan at Notts County and he impressed during his spell at Meadow Lane.

The 22-year-old is highly-rated at Anfield, but he is likely to find first-team chances hard to come by next season with Glen Johnson and Martin Kelly ahead of him in the pecking order.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7022620,00.html
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #48: Jul 06, 2011 01:13:27 pm
      Sell him dont loan him. How many loan spells can he do? Hes behind Kelly Johnson and now I think its fair to say Flanagan
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #49: Jul 07, 2011 02:32:28 pm
      He's gone on loan to Rochdale. Good luck Stephen (again!)

Liverpool have confirmed Stephen Darby has joined Rochdale on a season-long loan.

The defender will remain with the League One club until June 2012.

Darby spent much of last season on loan at Notts County after moving to Meadow Lane in November 2010.

The 22-year-old has made six first-team appearances for Liverpool, with the last coming in the Europa League qualifier against FK Rabotnicki in Macedonia.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/defender-seals-loan-switch-2
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #50: Jul 07, 2011 02:33:35 pm
      I really think it's time he moves on.

He's 23 this year and he's behind Johnson, Kelly and Flanagan.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #51: Jul 07, 2011 05:16:15 pm
      What is the point of this? What does it achieve? What mesage are we giving the lad?

Hes 22. Loaned out for what the 5th time? At least 3 lads ahead of him in his position plus if we wanted to buy another one we could.

As much as I'd love to see the lad make it at this point its clear he wont so let him go.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #52: Jul 07, 2011 05:22:00 pm
      I think Flannagan should go on loan, and Darby should be 3rd choice at RB
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #53: Jul 07, 2011 06:06:03 pm
      What is the point of this? What does it achieve? What mesage are we giving the lad?

Hes 22. Loaned out for what the 5th time? At least 3 lads ahead of him in his position plus if we wanted to buy another one we could.

As much as I'd love to see the lad make it at this point its clear he wont so let him go.
      Fact! I'd say something if he was 18 but he has an 18 year old ahead of him in the pecking order now.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #54: Jul 07, 2011 07:23:35 pm

You're being released at the end of the season but first another club will pay your wages so we don't have to.  That's the message we're giving him. 

Best of luck wherever you end up Stephen!!
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #55: Jul 04, 2012 09:09:35 pm
      Darby day for Bradford

Sky Sports understands that Bradford have bolstered their defensive ranks with the signing of Stephen Darby from Liverpool.

Darby, who was unable to make the breakthrough into the first-team picture at Anfield, is believed to have joined the League Two club on a two-year contract.

The 23-year-old spent last season out on loan with Rochdale, making 35 appearances in League One for the Spotland club.

Darby has enjoyed previous temporary spells with Notts County and Swindon and now has the chance to make his mark with the Bantams.

Bradford boss Phil Parkinson has been busy in the transfer market this summer as he builds a squad capable of challenging for promotion.

Time to lock this up I think. Good luck to him.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #56: Jul 04, 2012 10:26:17 pm
      It was always going to happen. He's 24 this year and he's only got one substitute appearance.

He's behind Johnson, Kelly and Flanagan for the right back spot which probably suggests he isn't good enough.

All the best to the lad.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #57: Jul 04, 2012 11:12:28 pm
      Didn't we already release him?
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #58: Jul 05, 2012 06:51:40 am
      Good luck Stephen.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #59: Jul 05, 2012 09:26:59 am
      Was evident from 12 months ago maybe more he was never going to make it here. Best he moved. Best of luck to him
      BirkenshawBantam
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts |
      Reply #60: Jul 09, 2012 05:24:19 pm
      Quite pleased with us signing Darby, reading through the posts on here looked like he has a lot of unfulfilled potential, hopefully he has a cracking season with us on our march up the football league.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #61: Sep 18, 2018 03:02:51 pm
      Stephen Darby Forced To Retire

Bolton defender Stephen Darby has announced his retirement from football, aged 29, after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease (MND).

The full-back last played in December.

"I would like to ask for privacy at this time so I can adjust to the battle I have ahead and that I can spend time with those closest to me," he said.

Darby, married to Manchester City Women and England captain Steph Houghton, began his career at Liverpool after coming through the club's academy.

"I'd like to take the opportunity to thank my team-mates, manager and all the staff at Bolton for their amazing support at what has been an extremely difficult period," he said.

MND is a degenerative condition that affects how nerves in the brain and spinal cord function. There is currently no cure.

After leaving Liverpool, right-back Darby made more than 200 appearances for Bradford City before joining Bolton in July 2017, reuniting with manager Phil Parkinson.

"This is heartbreaking news for Stephen and his family and the thoughts of everybody at Bolton are very much with him and Steph," Parkinson said.

A former England Under-19 international, Darby made his senior Liverpool debut against Atletico Madrid in the Champions League in 2008, before loan spells with Swindon Town, Notts County and Rochdale.

He joined Bradford in July 2012 and would eventually captain the Bantams during a five-year spell that included a giant-killing run to the League Cup final and promotion to League One in 2013.

"The news is absolutely heartbreaking," Bradford chairman Edin Rahic said. "Stephen was a massive part of the club's recent history and his contributions will stay with us forever."

Darby was also Professional Footballers' Association club delegate while at Bradford and an active member of their management committee.

"Stephen has been the epitome of a true professional," PFA director of player management Matthew Buck said.

"I'm sure he will face the future with the same determination and resolve he has shown throughout his football career. Myself and the PFA will continue to support Stephen in his battle ahead."
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #62: Sep 18, 2018 03:15:18 pm
      Heartbreaking indeed and I feel for him and his family. Hopefully there will be solution to this problem, at least to delay the implications for as long as possible. :(
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #63: Sep 18, 2018 03:30:23 pm
      Tragic.

Ran in the Edinburgh Marathon a few years ago for a colleague who’d contracted it.

Last I heard he was virtually helpless in 5 years.

Truly devastating.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #64: Sep 18, 2018 06:28:27 pm
      Tragic news and for one so young. Speechless
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #65: Sep 18, 2018 06:54:53 pm
      ALS is a strong disease :( YWNA Darby.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #66: Sep 18, 2018 07:19:12 pm
      Terribly sad news for a young man just recently married. Hope he finds a way to cope with what is ahead of him .YNWA
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #67: Sep 19, 2018 09:29:50 pm
      Posted a message in the Academy thread because I couldn't find this. Really sad to hear about Stephen being diagnosed with what he has, must be very difficult for soneone so athletic to know that this will lead to the deteroriation of his body. Hope the club can help him in any way they can.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #68: Sep 19, 2018 09:48:56 pm
      Heartbreaking news. It is everyone's worst fear and worst nightmare and it's even more devastating knowing how young he is. Importantly it also raises the awareness amongst us all that so much needs to be done, so much money and support from all sources should be given to fund research to help find effective treatment and even a cure for this horrible and sickening disease.

With the support and love of those around him and all of us thousands/millions supporting him he can find comfort. I hope the club and our supporter groups can find a way to look after Stephen and his family.

YNWA

Quick Reply