Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Paddy Berger Retires

Read 8838 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Paddy Berger Retires
      Jan 06, 2010 02:12:53 pm
      Berger bows out with fond memories
      by Josef Ladislav Wednesday 6 January 2010

A recurring knee injury has forced former Liverpool FC midfielder Patrik Berger to retire at the age of 36, making him the last of the Czech Republic's EURO '96â„¢ finalists to end their playing days.

Final goal
      A left-footed player of prodigious accuracy from range, Berger struck from the spot at Wembley more than 13 years ago to give his country the lead against Germany before Oliver Bierhoff scored twice to condemn them to defeat. Berger first caught the eye in 1990 as part of the Czechoslovakia side that won the UEFA European Under-16 Championship, before becoming a pivotal member of the senior Czech Republic squad three years later. He went on to score 18 times in 44 appearances for his country.

Liverpool success
      Berger began his career in the youth ranks at AC Sparta Praha, but made his breakthrough at rivals SK Slavia Praha where he spent four seasons before joining BV Borussia Dortmund. Berger helped Dortmund to the Bundesliga title in 1995/96 then joined Liverpool following EURO '96â„¢. After seven seasons at Anfield he played for Portsmouth FC and Aston Villa FC before returning to his homeland to join Sparta. Having undergone surgery for the eighth time last summer, Berger knew his time had come. "My knee said no once and for all," he said.

'Best memories'
      Berger's full international career lasted only until 2001 when he opted to concentrate on Liverpool, for whom he made 148 league appearances and scored 28 goals, winning the 2001 UEFA Cup in the process. "I have the best memories of Liverpool," said Berger, whose former club and international team-mate Vladimír Šmicer was also forced to hang up his boots late last year. "We won six trophies and it was the pinnacle of my career." It was a career that never reached such heights post Anfield, with a series of short-lived spells in England bearing little fruit. Six goals in his first season with Sparta last year seemed to signal the perfect homecoming, but persistent injury restricted Berger to just two appearances this term, the last of which – against 1. FK Příbram on 8 August 2009 – proved to be the last of an impressive career.

http://www.uefa.com/footballeurope/news/kind=2/newsid=940380.html
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Paddy Berger Retires
      Reply #1: Jan 06, 2010 02:45:38 pm
      Berger bows out with fond memories
      Berger's full international career lasted only until 2001 when he opted to concentrate on Liverpool, for whom he made 148 league appearances and scored 28 goals, winning the 2001 UEFA Cup in the process. "I have the best memories of Liverpool," said Berger, whose former club and international team-mate Vladimír Šmicer was also forced to hang up his boots late last year. "We won six trophies and it was the pinnacle of my career."
      http://www.uefa.com/footballeurope/news/kind=2/newsid=940380.html

I loved watching Patrik Berger play. The sort of exciting player that always made you feel "something could happen here". Good to see him talk so fondly of his time with the Reds. Good lad.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #2: Jan 06, 2010 02:49:30 pm
      Liverpool legend
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #3: Jan 06, 2010 03:41:24 pm
      Sorry to see Patrik Berger have to retire due to persistant injuries , signed just after euro 96 turned out to be one of Roy Evens best buys and scored some brilliant goals for us  , good luck for the future whatever path you take Paddy lad.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #4: Jan 06, 2010 03:47:23 pm
      Sorry to see Patrik Berger have to retire due to persistant injuries , signed just after euro 96 turned out to be one of Roy Evens best buys and scored some brilliant goals for us  , good luck for the future whatever path you take Paddy lad.
      Yeah, saw this earlier. One of the most one-footed players I've seen, aside from maybe Riise and Adriano. Put in some stunning performances though and that left foot was sweet from 20 yards.
      All the best, Patrik.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #5: Jan 06, 2010 04:38:23 pm
      Loved watching him play, done wondering for us in the 01 FA Cup final
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #6: Jan 06, 2010 04:45:09 pm
      More one footed than even Riera or Fabio.

Had boss hair though.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #7: Jan 06, 2010 05:01:43 pm

Wouldn't go that far.

Scored some nice goals though.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #8: Jan 06, 2010 05:04:37 pm
      Loved watching him play, done wondering for us in the 01 FA Cup final

Would say that his ball for Owens 2nd was one of the best through balls I have ever seen!
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #9: Jan 06, 2010 05:12:57 pm
      The man who earned your vote as the best left-sided player in Liverpool's team of the Noughties has announced his retirement from football.

Related Links
       Patrik Berger, who played for Liverpool between 1996 and 2003, has quit the game at the age of 36 because of a knee injury. He ended his career back in the Czech Republic with Sparta Prague.

He earned a reputation for scoring spectacular goals at Anfield  with his trusty left foot, and his astute pass for Michael Owen's winner in the 2001 FA Cup final against Arsenal, ensured he will always be remembered fondly by the Kop.

Signed by Roy Evans from Borussia Dortmund in 1996, Berger went on to make 196 appearances in a red shirt and scored 35 goals.

Kopites first saw the player with movie star looks grace Anfield playing for the Czech Republic in Euro 96. He was a pivotal part of the team that finished runners-up to Germany. Berger had put the Czech team in front at Wembley from the penalty spot but Germany came back to win.

Evans brought him to Anfield and he certainly made a great start in a red shirt. In his second game he came on as a half-time substitute for Stan Collymore and made an immediate impression at Liverpool's bogey ground of the past.

Filbert Street hadn't been the happiest of hunting grounds for the Reds but he hit two explosive strikes past Kasey Keller that had the travelling Kop drooling at the arrival of a new hero.

After that game, beaten keeper Keller stated: "I've never seen a ball move so fast in my life. It's a good job I didn't get in the way of either shot or I'd have been back in the net with them."

One  of the opponents Berger liked playing against was Chelsea. In September 1996 he hit a double against the Blues and the following season, October 1997 he scored a memorable hat-trick against Chelsea at Anfield in a 4-2 win.

Other breathtaking strikes that spring to mind include one against our greatest rivals. The green away strip might not be remembered with great memories but Kopites will recall a stunning e free-kick at Old Trafford during a 1-1 draw with Manchester United in the 1999-2000 season.

Our former No.15 had his injury problems during the treble season but he still played a vital part in the glory.

The 2001 FA Cup final is commonly known as the Owen final, but it was Berger's fantastic vision and quick anticipation that released the striker to break Arsenal's hearts in Cardiff.

After seven years at Anfield he left for a new challenge with Portsmouth in 2003 and sure enough he netted the winner against Gerard Houllier's Liverpool at Fratton Park.

A spell with Aston Villa then came before he moved back home to join Sparta Prague in May 2008.

After announcing his retirement from the game at the age of 36, Sparta coach Jozef Chovanec said: "Patrik told me yesterday, 'It's over. My knee doesn't support the burden anymore'.

"We have to deal with it.

"Thank you Patrik for everything you have done for Sparta and the entire Czech football."

He also won 44 caps for the Czech Republic and was voted in at number 79 in our highly acclaimed 100 Players Who Shook the Kop feature
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/kop-hero-retires
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #10: Jan 06, 2010 05:17:39 pm
      Wouldn't go that far.

Scored some nice goals though.

Barn-storming free-kick at Old Trafford from about 40 yards
      Derby away when we took the piss passing it round for ages then he lashed it in
      His penalty down in front of The Kop to make it 3-1 against Everton, smashed into the bottom corner
      Five goals in two seasons at home against Chelsea, although that was when they were still sh*t.
      The first Liverpool player to wear an alice band and that song Patrik Bergerrrrrr, lala lala lala la laaaaaa....
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #11: Jan 06, 2010 05:34:50 pm
      Barn-storming free-kick at Old Trafford from about 40 yards
      His penalty down in front of The Kop to make it 3-1 against Everton, smashed into the bottom corner
      Five goals in two seasons at home against Chelsea, although that was when they were still sh*t.
      The first Liverpool player to wear an alice band and that song Patrik Bergerrrrrr, lala lala lala la laaaaaa....

Patrik Berger LFC
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #12: Jan 06, 2010 06:11:54 pm
      Had huge respect for Paddy. Thanks for all your efforts at LFC and happy retirement

Y.N.W.A
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #13: Jan 06, 2010 06:13:56 pm
      Wonder if he will take a coaching role?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #14: Jan 06, 2010 06:20:27 pm

Berger (build up) Vs Derby

That one there ;D

All the best Berger, good luck in what ever you choose to pursue in your life after playing football.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #15: Jan 06, 2010 06:22:24 pm
      Love that goal.

Pleasure to watch.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #16: Jan 06, 2010 07:07:06 pm
      Not one to score from a couple yards out.

Good luck and best wishes Pad, lad.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #17: Jan 06, 2010 07:11:36 pm
      Quality that one against Derby. Took the piss there. :D

YNWA Paddy Berger. He was indeed a pleasure to watch and I hope to see him in some sort of role in football again very soon.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #18: Jan 06, 2010 07:53:17 pm
      Berger (build up) Vs Derby

That one there ;D

All the best Berger, good luck in what ever you choose to pursue in your life after playing football.

18 passes before the strike. Id give me right testicle to see us to that now!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #19: Jan 06, 2010 07:53:59 pm

Why? Did you give your left one for it last time? ;)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #20: Jan 06, 2010 07:55:03 pm

I know what you mean mate we normally have 25 passes to our midielders, back to our defenders, to our wingers back to midielders back to our defenders then to Kuyt who's touch of a rapist gifts it to the opposition.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #21: Jan 06, 2010 07:56:24 pm
      Why? Did you give your left one for it last time? ;)

Its a better option then the snip!!!
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #22: Jan 06, 2010 07:58:49 pm
      Good luck to him in the future, whatever he chooses to do from now on, he did his job and did it well for us. YNWA

Quick Reply