Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

They weren’t very good, but we loved them anyway

Read 2540 times
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      They weren’t very good, but we loved them anyway
      May 19, 2007 09:19:36 am
      We all have one or is it just me?, mines fairly obvious!

Barry Venison

Debut : 16th August 1986 v Everton (N) Charity Shield: drew 1-1
      1st team games: 157
      1st team goals: 2

He wasn't quick, skillful or a goal getter just a hard grafting solid full back. Which is probably the reason I have an affinity with him and other full backs as this seemed to be the only position I could play throughout my school years.

This is where I like to think or similarity ends as our Barry had one of the best Mullets I can remember and a dress sense that put John Barns to shame.

I goggled our Barry prior to writing this and surprise surprise I came across a Blog on the same topic aptly named 10 Players Who Shook the Kop (with laughter). I personally don't agree with most of 10 as they were just sh*te and made me cry rather than laugh. But Barry wasn't he just wasn't a footballing legend

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/blog/?cat=11

Who's yours and why
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Re: They weren’t very good, but we loved them anyway
      Reply #1: May 19, 2007 11:31:26 am
      Good topic. We've had about a zillion 'Worst Players...' but this is more the 'Plenty of application but not much talent thread...' ;)

I think my choice fits in to this category.... Vladimir Smicer.

Technically very gifted but never got the best out of himself at Anfield - injuries and an inability to truly adjust to the English game.

Houllier bought him in 1999 from RC Lens, and the Czech player made 119 appearances scoring 10 goals up to 2005.

His tenth, and final goal, scored in his final game probably sealed his place in our hearts.

And that's why I love him.   Cheers Vladi...

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #2: May 19, 2007 01:04:17 pm
      Biscan.

He did try and he did have some good games now and then. But he did give me a laugh now and then. He certainly had one of Houllier's key words, "charachter".
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #3: May 19, 2007 01:09:13 pm
      I don't know about anyone else but I always liked Vegard Heggem!!

Don't ask me why I liked him, but I think he was always pretty reliable and wasn't bad going forward!! I remember him scoring a cracker against Bradford City and from that day on, I was a fan ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #4: May 19, 2007 01:36:02 pm

Don't ask me why I liked him, but I think he was always pretty reliable and wasn't bad going forward!! I remember him scoring a cracker against Bradford City and from that day on, I was a fan ;D

Vedgy was great! Wasn't he one of the first players to have a website and stuff..
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #5: May 19, 2007 01:37:06 pm
      I would like to nominate Joey Jones, he wasn't the classiest of players but i loved his enthusiasm and determination and this rubbed off on his team mates and encouraged the Kop to raise the roof on more than one occasion.
      But he only stayed for three years and went back to his beloved Wrexham.

Birthdate:  04.03.1955
      Birthplace:  Llandudno, Wales
      Other clubs:  Wrexham, Wrexham (2), Chelsea, Huddersfield, Wrexham (3)
      Bought from:  Wrexham
      Signed for LFC:  £110000 July 1975
      International debut:  1976 vs. Austria
      International caps:  72/1
      Liverpool debut:  16.08.1975
      Debut goal:  09.11.1976
      Contract expiry:  September 1978
      LFC league games/goals:  72 / 3
      Total LFC games/goals:  100 / 3

A piece from LFChistory.net

A steely left back whose exploits on the road to victory in the European cup in 1977 were immortalised in a banner that read: "JOEY ATE THE FROGS LEGS, MADE THE SWISS ROLL, NOW HES MUNCHING GLADBACH". However the European victory seemed to be the beginning of the end for Jones who lost his place in the team in January the following season.
      The charismatic Welshman became a 'cult figure' on the Kop after his transfer from Wrexham, even though he only actually played for Liverpool during three different seasons. Joey was an enthusiastic and tough-tackling left-back whose uncompromising style quickly endeared him to the Liverpool crowd. He was 20 years old when Bob Paisley signed him in the summer of 1975 and still a bit 'raw', which perhaps explained why - even though he started the season in the first-team - he only appeared in 13 First Division matches, one short agonisingly of the number required to qualify for a championship medal. The left-back role was also covered by Phil Neal & Alec Lindsay (briefly) in 1975-76 but a year later Joey had established himself in the first-team and only missed 3 of the 42 league fixtures.

Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #6: May 19, 2007 05:57:36 pm

Patrik Berger  :)

Good on deadballs and very cute hehe ;)
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #7: May 19, 2007 06:07:05 pm
      Take your pick for me,
      Stig inge Bjornbye
      David Hodgson
      Michael Robinson
      Ronnie Rosenthal
      Gregory Vignal

all good but not outstanding players, who always did enough for Liverpool.

But my choice is........ Rigobert Song.
      This lad came with a reputation of a strong and versatile defender who could play centre back or full back.
      He certainly lived up to this, and was unlucky not to score for the Reds.
      He never got the credit he deserved
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #8: May 19, 2007 06:09:30 pm

Great to read :)  I liked Heggem alot too. Mostly when he played for Rosenborg ofcourse ;D  His goal against AC Milan in 96 when Rosenborg kicked them out of Champions League will always stay in every trønders (people from Trondheim) heart and memory as maybe the biggest "event" in the club AND citys history. Awesome.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,223 posts | 1646 
      Reply #9: May 19, 2007 09:10:46 pm
      Can't belive nones mentioned Djimi Traore! he always tried his best, and he saved us in istanbul!!! I alslo remember him scoring a cracker of a goal, but i can't remember who it was against.
      « Last Edit: May 19, 2007 09:12:41 pm by Liverbird »
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #10: May 19, 2007 09:17:22 pm
      Can't belive nones mentioned Djimi Traore! he always tried his best, and he saved us in istanbul!!! I alslo remember him scoring a cracker of a goal, but I can't remember who it was against.

He scored for Burnley against us whilst playing for us ;)

His only goal for the reds came in the 2003/04 season when he produced a stunning curling right foot shot from 20 yards in Bucharest in a UEFA Cup tie.
      « Last Edit: May 19, 2007 09:25:09 pm by mrtommo »
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #11: May 19, 2007 09:26:46 pm
      Can't belive nones mentioned Djimi Traore! he always tried his best, and he saved us in istanbul!!! I alslo remember him scoring a cracker of a goal, but I can't remember who it was against.

bloody hell i may of opened a can of worms with this thread ;)

if for nothing else other than his goal line clearance in Istanbul we should show a little respect

Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #12: May 20, 2007 07:17:14 pm
      He's big, he's red,
      he's off his fcuking head,
      Eric Majier!
      (if thats how you spell it!)

Its big Eric for me, he played with a passion and love for Liverpool, he was just poo!
      When I lived in Anfield, they used to play a few reserve games there and I'd often pop over the road and watch the second string. Eric often played in these games and once I actually saw him be played clean through on goal, slot the ball under the keeper and come sliding on his knee's towards the Kop celebrating kissing the badge on his shirt! The only problem for Eric was there was only about 50 people watching the game! He did look a bit silly but he didn't seem to be bothered by this! One of my mates also has a picture taken with Eric in a bar in Dortmund before the Uefa cup final in 2001. Eric is wearing a LFC shift and hat! What a Star!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #13: May 20, 2007 09:38:20 pm
      Bolo.

Instrumental in scoring a penalty that helped us get to Athens. ;)
      ozzyred
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts |
      Reply #14: May 30, 2007 12:54:08 pm
      i liked baros, smicer and biscan which wernt that good

Quick Reply