Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

What to do about H&G: From An American Viewpoint

Read 11814 times
      idwLFC89
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 252 posts | 11 
      What to do about H&G: From An American Viewpoint
      Jan 10, 2010 07:06:55 pm
      I just want to make it here clear here and now, that these are my views and no one else's

I don't know if you have noticed this across the pond, but the situation between Tom Hicks & George Gillette, is a bit like the Iraq & Afghanistan war of the sports world from an American standpoint. That's a big statement, and could mean so many things. I'm not saying that Liverpool are terrorists, I'm not saying that somewhere people are putting their lives on the line out there from both sides and dying. I'm saying that in America, the Iraq/Afghan war is easy to ignore.

Think about it. You all are having your protests over there, and making big noise, and it is now known with anyone who really follows football, getting good information, that Liverpool fans, absolutely despise our owners. And rightly so. However, in the United States no one knows what's befalling a great and mighty beacon of sport, because it doesn't directly affect them. You're not in our papers. Besides highlights, you aren't talked about on shows like SportsCenter on ESPN. Which is way more fun than Sky Sports will ever be. Your players aren't in Sports Illustrated. They aren't on Jay Leno, or Saturday Night Live. You're invisible. I say it's like the Iraq/Afghan war because the war isn't on our shores, it hasn't stopped us from getting food, water, 1080p LCD HDTVs. I mean, it's not in our faces, there's not nearly as much coverage for the amount of action going on. Men have taken Billions of dollars since before the dollar sank, and invested it in this war, and we can't even stop basic attacks like that that almost was on Christmas Day. Where am I going with this? Well, how do you compare the almost-was terrorist attack on christmas to the Tiger Woods scandal? Huge public outcry, envoking immediate change and massive publicity.

Americans tend to get swept up in things, and when we do, it can make waves. Four lads from Liverpool have already proven that. There are almost 350 million people over here. If you could reach 1/32 of them, for only an instant, you'd be reaching almost 11 million. But if 1 million of them cared enough to sign a petition, for the sake of sport, that would start a ripple, that could get them on ESPN, and spark debate. Because why can't the fans have control over the owners, because it's the fans who in some cases make a life out of supporting their team. Liverpool isn't just some high class toy to us. It's not just a trophy on the wall. It's a way of life for so many people. Liverpool supporters need to get people talking, but not with anything too radical. I mean, Americans tend to be into, symbolic gestures, gatherings, peaceful protests... in mass numbers, something like a massive bbq literally as close as we could get to Tom Hicks front lawn. Enough to fill Anfield, 50,000 Englishmen Scousers show up. That's visible.

Last year, I went to my first ever Liverpool game. It happened to be Liverpool vs Real Madrid, in Madrid. I'd never been to Madrid, Spain, Europe, so everything was new. I don't speak Spanish, and I paid 5x what I should have for my ticket, but I wanted to see a match between giants so there I was. I've been to American sporting events, tailgating in endless parking lots, grassy fields, and beaches, but I've never experienced what went on in Spain. Most American stadiums aren't within the city that their team represents, especially football stadiums. The New York Giants stadium is in East Rutherford, New Jersey which is an entirely different state altogether. So the sporting event doesn't envelop the cities here like they do in Europe. You can't hear the singing in the streets, see the red shirts, you can ignore sports here, it's invisible to anyone who isn't following the game, except for the World Series, and the Superbowl. You can't just decide to get swept up in it on a stroll through the city. I mean, while in Madrid we essentially took over Spain's version of Times Square and threw a party. I mean the city was alive that day, and that whole concept was new to me. Don't worry, keep reading, this is all coming together. Liverpool fans have this great ability to gather, most of the time with very little calamity even in the most hostile opposing fan environments. So why can't we do it without the opposing fans? Why can't we do it in America, where we can't be ignored?

Why can't we put so much pressure on Tom Hicks and George Gillette from their peers, that they have to sell, out of embarrassment and shame for what they're doing to something that lifts millions of people every week.

I mean, why don't we organize some sort of big movement... except on this side of the pond. There are fans here, but sometimes we feel a bit left out. I mean, I had to work to become a Liverpool supporter, it's not just in my face with a click of a button. Things like 'Don't Buy the Sun' was something I actually had to learn about, it wasn't something that was just known. I put a lot of effort in trying to be a well informed fan from afar, but it was difficult at first. I mean, most Liverpool fans in the US haven't found their way to sites like this. If we can organize toward one goal, and yes, take some of the little steps along the way to make it truly special. We can do something great.

Public pressure is always the key to getting things done quickly.

If we can embarrass H&G amongst their peers, we can take them down. Because these men already have everything else, why can't we take dignity?

What do you think? Maybe it's crazy, but we wont be going to any Champions League matches for the rest of the season. Maybe it's time for an American holiday. What about next season, no champions league? then it's definitely time for an american holiday. I just can't think of anything else to do, we as the fans are easy for our owners to ignore. we're almost a joke. why? because we don't directly affect their lives. they're not being asked to be interviewed by ESPN, or CBS. They're still invisible sitting on huge piles of our cash. It's not right, and we have to do something. I mean, this is the type of backdoor corruption in capitalism that Americans have been in uproar about during the Obama administration. I feel like if spun the right way, America would take this story and run with it. We don't have the money to buy the club ourselves, or the power to take over the boardroom directly. So what else can we do? People in Europe want to see us fall, that means there's a better chance of them lifting the trophy at the end of the day. But America is a blank slate, for the most part, most Americans haven't chosen a favorite soccer football team. Why can't they all support Liverpool?

You want to talk about history? How about a club saved by its fans in the modern era, symbolizing that Liverpool FC is bigger than just one person or a group of people.

It's a big idea, I know, and yes, I was near sleep when I thought of it, I might have been dreaming. But it's something, and is it so terrible to dream?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: What to do about H&G: From An American Viewpoint
      Reply #1: Jan 10, 2010 07:15:11 pm
      Top post, and yes a big idea. But the wheel was a big idea, as with flight - everything is a big idea at some point, doesn't mean it can't be done.

Me being on this side of the pond (Im Aussie, but live here) as well would gladly join in any movement. Ive been trying to think of ways to do it, my main worry has been that not many Americans seem to care about football aka 'soccer'. But like you said, the population is huge and maybe we would have some luck with some who have not spoken much coming out.

And the way we angle the story as well would be key. These guys are bleeding us dry, sucking the heart and soul out of one of the biggest clubs on the planet. Imagine if it happened to the Yankees of baseball, the Red Wings in hockey, the Lakers in basketball or the Cowboys in football? I know there would be millions in America up in arms ( and some cheering too :D ) but you see my point. If we can make them understand the prestige of our club, and then what is happening to it at the moment, we may be able to evoke sympathy and get something going.

Any of our other yankee friends have thoughts?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2: Jan 10, 2010 07:36:02 pm
      Sounds like a plan to me even though I'm not in America.

I posted in the Tom Hicks Jnr Abuses Fan thread that maybe our American fans could start something.  I suggested forwarding the news reports about it to the local press as a start it might even be possible to get Obama involved if he's so against this kind of corruption.

As you say it'll be a ripple effect at first but we have to try to do something.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3: Jan 10, 2010 07:41:30 pm
      Sounds like a plan to me even though I'm not in America.

I posted in the Tom Hicks Jnr Abuses Fan thread that maybe our American fans could start something.  I suggested forwarding the news reports about it to the local press as a start it might even be possible to get Obama involved if he's so against this kind of corruption.

As you say it'll be a ripple effect at first but we have to try to do something.

Yeah, well im actually going to try doing a bit of writing for my local college paper. Not a big pulication of course! But im gonna see if i can generate some interest in football in an area dominated by college football. And seeing how it goes, i will do a piece on that corruption.

And then more.
      idwLFC89
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #4: Jan 10, 2010 07:51:29 pm
      It's something that I would like to be painstakingly organized, something that could take 4 - 6 months to do. But the faster it gains momentum, the quicker it can be done. I mean, we'd have to organize it so we weren't breaking any laws, so we have security, enough food, transportation for people coming and going, housing. I mean, it's like if every Liverpool supporter donated 10 pounds/dollars/whatever they had, toward this whole thing happening whether they were going or not, for what it would cost to run the whole thing. it'd be very difficult, but incredible if we could pull it all off
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5: Jan 10, 2010 07:56:36 pm
      Exactly. And me being tight on money being an international student, id still be happy to put anything i could possibaly do into this. We just need to gain the knowledge of the American fans. Which is exactly why im gonna go to the college paper and ask them if i can start writing stories about football, to try and open up some to sports other than here, and maybe that will help.

Really need to get something going soon, things are getting bad for our club.
      idwLFC89
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #6: Jan 10, 2010 08:02:23 pm
      I mean, I just thought of it, before it becomes more than just an idea, it would have to gain momentum, that's why i've put this out here, just to see what people think
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #7: Jan 10, 2010 08:05:08 pm
      Fantastic idea. Fantastic post.

I largely agree that if the protests are recognised overseas the effort to drive the pair out of the club should gain invaluable momentum.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #8: Jan 10, 2010 08:08:10 pm
      I mean, I just thought of it, before it becomes more than just an idea, it would have to gain momentum, that's why I've put this out here, just to see what people think

Yep, fair enough too. Hopefully we will get some of our other overseas supporters having a look at this. I will certainly start to look at it more now more than ever, after reading that crap about the owners son. Im just sick of the cu*ts, make me nauseus.
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Reply #9: Jan 10, 2010 08:57:15 pm
      Let's buy a big billboard at Times Square, New York or a page of petition printed on a whole page of the New York Times.

Let David Letterman and other midnight show pick that up as a joke, then let  ESPN and other sports channels pick them up.

We need a huge PR campaign in the US to oust these two Yanks.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #10: Jan 10, 2010 09:10:40 pm
      I'm really sorry bud but after reading the opening post and the statement concerning the world conflict and the American publics perception I stopped reading.
      If such an event can be seen as unimportant or apparently so to the average American what hope is there that anybody in the US would be remotely interested in the demise of LFC.
      justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #11: Jan 10, 2010 09:35:48 pm
      I'm open to any idea that is going to help drive H&G out of our club and out of our lives. The lad is from America so he probably knows America better than us. If he truly thinks that this idea could help get rid of the pair of freaks then I think that it is an idea at least worth considering. I agree that we haven't made quite enough of a statement as of yet and the bottom line is that they are still our owners. Any ideas put forward to change that should be taken on board IMO because it means that we are then thinking of new ways of getting these cow boys out of town once and for all. Without ideas like this one and without action to directly affect H&G they are not going to be too bothered about our hostility and will continue to hang around like a bad smell. I say its time for some FABREZE!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #12: Jan 10, 2010 10:32:25 pm
      I'm open to any idea that is going to help drive H&G out of our club and out of our lives. The lad is from America so he probably knows America better than us. If he truly thinks that this idea could help get rid of the pair of freaks then I think that it is an idea at least worth considering. I agree that we haven't made quite enough of a statement as of yet and the bottom line is that they are still our owners. Any ideas put forward to change that should be taken on board IMO because it means that we are then thinking of new ways of getting these cow boys out of town once and for all. Without ideas like this one and without action to directly affect H&G they are not going to be too bothered about our hostility and will continue to hang around like a bad smell. I say its time for some FABREZE!
      Of course our American friend will have a better understanding of the culture over there but having been over there myself a couple of times and seen the TV and press coverage of world events it can give the feeling of a time warp with news representation.

Unless you tune in to a dedicated news channel there is no mention of world events the schedule is talk shows and soaps all day. The press seem to avoid any mention of international news stories and the majority of Americans do not hear the accounts of the carnage and mayhem that is going on right now in Iraq and Afghanistan, they are far enough away to feel detached.

If that can be the case with a war that is being waged in their name what is the chance of them taking any notice of the H$G saga?
      idwLFC89
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #13: Jan 10, 2010 11:50:05 pm
      Of course our American friend will have a better understanding of the culture over there but having been over there myself a couple of times and seen the TV and press coverage of world events it can give the feeling of a time warp with news representation.

Unless you tune in to a dedicated news channel there is no mention of world events the schedule is talk shows and soaps all day. The press seem to avoid any mention of international news stories and the majority of Americans do not hear the accounts of the carnage and mayhem that is going on right now in Iraq and Afghanistan, they are far enough away to feel detached.

If that can be the case with a war that is being waged in their name what is the chance of them taking any notice of the H$G saga?

because Americans care more about sports than about the war in iraq/afghanistan, considering how many of us don't agree there should have been any war at all. And, ESPN gobbles this stuff up. ESPN isn't Sky Sports, they're not afraid to ask the questions, reveal the information, and help take someone down who is damaging the game.

This would work if it was considered a sport issue, not a soccer issue. I think, that as a sports issue it would reach more people, than limiting it just too football. Should owners be allowed to run teams into the ground? Should owners still be allowed to own teams if they disregard the fans who have kept the franchise/club alive in the first place? I'm talking about Oakland Raiders fans, LA Clippers fans, Cleveland Browns fans. I mean, owners that are content with having their franchise/club in mediocrity. If someone else wants to buy the club, and there is sufficient evidence that the current owners are not doing what's best for the well being of the club/franchise, than should they be forced to sell if improvements aren't made? Especially in a situation like Liverpool's, where promises were made. I mean, they promised us a stadium and that was the only reason we let them buy the club. As soon as they acquired it, they pushed away that proposition. They essentially lied to the fans, and to the members of the board.

I mean, the Hicks family has openly clashed with supporters. This email business is a joke, if Hicks Jr thinks this highly of Liverpool fans, than imagine what his father thinks. The only reason they're involved with the club is because of money, but they're not willing to take a loss and sell the damn thing, they'd rather see us suffer
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #14: Jan 11, 2010 12:26:35 am
      ^^ Exactly, this has become more than just a couple of bad management decisions. This is a management destroying a successful and prestigious business. Its kinda like the whole banks and car companies issue in the recession. I couldn't give a F**k about the banks in America being Aussie, but i still listened a little as it was something that was big news. Now one of the most successful teams in the world, no matter what sport, will garner the interest of any real sports fan around the world if there is something big happening. It's just about getting the word out, getting it noticed. Because at the moment, people seem content to sweep it under the rug.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #15: Jan 11, 2010 12:30:22 am
      because Americans care more about sports than about the war in iraq/afghanistan, considering how many of us don't agree there should have been any war at all. And, ESPN gobbles this stuff up. ESPN isn't Sky Sports, they're not afraid to ask the questions, reveal the information, and help take someone down who is damaging the game.

This would work if it was considered a sport issue, not a soccer issue. I think, that as a sports issue it would reach more people, than limiting it just too football. Should owners be allowed to run teams into the ground? Should owners still be allowed to own teams if they disregard the fans who have kept the franchise/club alive in the first place? I'm talking about Oakland Raiders fans, LA Clippers fans, Cleveland Browns fans. I mean, owners that are content with having their franchise/club in mediocrity. If someone else wants to buy the club, and there is sufficient evidence that the current owners are not doing what's best for the well being of the club/franchise, than should they be forced to sell if improvements aren't made? Especially in a situation like Liverpool's, where promises were made. I mean, they promised us a stadium and that was the only reason we let them buy the club. As soon as they acquired it, they pushed away that proposition. They essentially lied to the fans, and to the members of the board.

I mean, the Hicks family has openly clashed with supporters. This email business is a joke, if Hicks Jr thinks this highly of Liverpool fans, than imagine what his father thinks. The only reason they're involved with the club is because of money, but they're not willing to take a loss and sell the damn thing, they'd rather see us suffer
      Mate if bigv and BR are onboard,count me in.I'm good on protests,so would fly over to support(a Shankly boy of 44 years).Well in Redmen,keep up the good work.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #16: Jan 11, 2010 12:34:39 am
      Just another slant on reaching the American public. What if we could all sign up to various sporting web sites, similar to 'LFCREDS.COM'    Ice Hockey teams, American Football, Baseball, Basket Ball, Soccer Teams, ooooeeerrrrr!  All the teams, whatever the sport must have fans web sites. If we signed up, identified where we were from, showed some interest in their respective clubs history etc.  Adopted a second sport/team as it were. Get them to adopt LFC as their second team/club.  Exchange memerabillia, shirts, programmes, etc. then we would have the American Sporting Public on our side. The electronic  banter would be enormouse. Don't cost any more to e mail to U.S.A.  Lets get it going........ Search the  WWW we can find the sites sure enough. This could also be the start of some long term/distant freindships and some terrific banter....
      idwLFC89
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #17: Jan 11, 2010 12:52:59 am
      Just another slant on reaching the American public. What if we could all sign up to various sporting web sites, similar to 'LFCREDS.COM'    Ice Hockey teams, American Football, Baseball, Basket Ball, Soccer Teams, ooooeeerrrrr!  All the teams, whatever the sport must have fans web sites. If we signed up, identified where we were from, showed some interest in their respective clubs history etc.  Adopted a second sport/team as it were. Get them to adopt LFC as their second team/club.  Exchange memerabillia, shirts, programmes, etc. then we would have the American Sporting Public on our side. The electronic  banter would be enormouse. Don't cost any more to e mail to U.S.A.  Lets get it going........ Search the  WWW we can find the sites sure enough. This could also be the start of some long term/distant freindships and some terrific banter....

I live in Connecticut, which is home to ESPN headquarters, it's literally a 45 minute drive from my house. I was thinking about getting together some sort of informative pamphlet, and going there with just a poster and a shitload of copies, and just handing stuff out and spreading the word. If even one person from ESPN came out and asked me why I'm doing what I'm doing, it would be a victory.

ESPN has every reason in the world to support something like this. They want more publicity for soccer in America because they have the rights to televise the World Cup. Any soccer publicity, ends up being good for them. And like I said, if we can spin this as not just a football issue, but a sports issue, then I think we can gain momentum
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #18: Jan 11, 2010 06:34:14 am

If we can embarrass H&G amongst their peers, we can take them down. Because these men already have everything else, why can't we take dignity?

Now youre cookin!

There was an old saying in the City Of London that "Your Word Was Your Bond"

In Hong Kong "You Must Never Lose Face".

These things are far more important than money. It is how H and G are viewed amongst their peers.

Reputation is hard won and so easily lost.

The USA never expected 9/11 to take place in their own backyard.

For Hicks and Gillett we are just a laugh 3,000 miles away.

Take it to them brothers!

(PS God Bless America. ;D)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #19: Jan 11, 2010 07:33:56 am

That is a good and well thought out post and I am sure all good REDS support you.As regards Hicksand Gillette and their families having dignity I am afraid that is a no no.Any dignity those bas**rds had went out of the window the day they conned their way into owning this great club of ours.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #20: Jan 11, 2010 11:16:24 am

Excellent idea mate.  Maybe we should start with the other sporting organisations these muppets own.

Also I was on Hicks Holdings American website last night and it seems they do a lot of Charity work in and around Dallas so maybe some adverse publicity in their hometown might put some pressure on them.  See below.

Thomas O. Hicks is founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Hicks Holdings LLC, a Dallas-based family office that owns and manages the Thomas and Cinda Hicks Family’s sports, real estate, corporate assets, and investments. Previously, Mr. Hicks co-founded, and was Chairman from 1989 through 2004 of Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst, Inc., a nationally prominent private equity firm specializing in leveraged acquisitions. During Mr. Hicks’s tenure as Chairman, HMTF successfully raised over $12 billion of private equity funds, consummated over $50 billion of leveraged acquisitions, and was one of the world’s most active private investment firms. From 1984 to 1989, Mr. Hicks was Co-Founder and Co-CEO of Hicks & Haas, a Dallas-based private equity firm. The successful acquisitions of HMTF and Hicks & Haas included AMFM Inc., A&W Brands, Inc., Berg Electronics, Inc., Dr Pepper/Seven Up Companies, International Home Foods, Life Partners Group, Pinnacle Foods, Sybron International, and Yell Group plc, among others.

Hicks Holdings’ sports ownership assets include Major League Baseball’s Texas Rangers Baseball Club, the Dallas Stars Hockey Club, of the National Hockey League, a 50% interest in the American Airlines Center, and a 50% interest in Liverpool Football Club, an English Premiership League team known as “Britain’s Most Successful Football Club.”

Hicks Holdings is a partner with Hillwood Development Company in the Victory Park project in downtown Dallas; a co-developer of Glorypark, a 75-acre urban town center /multi-use development adjacent to Rangers Ballpark in Arlington; and Champions Park, a 40 acre office/retail development in Frisco, Texas, adjacent to the Dr Pepper Ballpark and Dr Pepper StarsCenter. Hicks Holdings is a venture partner in several hotel/residential projects currently under development, including the “W” Hotel and Residences at Hollywood and Vine in Los Angeles. Through Hicks Trans American Partners, Hicks Holdings also selectively makes corporate and real estate investments in South America. Through Hicks Cedar Park, the Austin, Texas suburb, Cedar Park will be home to the Texas Stars, Dallas’ American Hockey League development affiliate, starting in 2009-10. The development includes a 6,700-seat Cedar Park Event Center and has a retail site of 17 acres adjacent to the facility grounds for mixed-use development, all being developed by Hicks Cedar Park.

Hicks Holdings’ majority-owned corporate holdings include DirecPath, a company formed to provide bundled DIRECTV programming, broadband voice and data services, security and other locally based services to multiple dwelling unit residences (MDUs) across the United States; Latrobe Specialty Steel, a leading manufacturer and distributor of specialty steel to the aerospace industry; Ocular LCD, Inc., a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of high-performance liquid crystal displays, modules and systems; and Grupo Pilar, a leading animal and pet food company in Argentina. In addition, Hicks Holdings, along with Investcorp, is an investor in Greatwide Logistics Services, a leading third-party logistics services company based in Dallas. In 2007, Hicks Holdings also acquired a 40 percent stake in SafeMed Inc., an emerging leader in clinical decision support systems.

Mr. Hicks serves as Chairman of Hicks Acquisition Company 1, a $552 million Special Purpose Acquisition Company (SPAC) listed on the American Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol TOH. Hicks Acquisition Company 1 has recently entered into an agreement and partnership to acquire Graham Packaging Holdings Co., a global technology and innovation leader in value-added blow-molded rigid plastic containers for the branded food and beverage household, personal care/specialty and automotive lubricant industries.

Mr. Hicks purchased the Dallas Stars in February 1996 and is the team’s Chairman of the Board and serves as Vice Chairman on the NHL Board of Governors. He also serves on the NHL Executive Committee and the NHL Audit and Finance Committee. The Stars were the 1999 Stanley Cup Champions, were Stanley Cup finalists in 2000, won the NHL’s Presidents’ Trophy for the best regular season record in both 1997-98 and 1998-99, and have captured seven division titles under Mr. Hicks’ ownership.

Thomas O. Hicks has recently finished his ninth season as Chairman of the Board and owner of the Texas Rangers and serves as the team’s representative on the MLB Board of Governors. During his ownership, the club has captured two American League West Division titles, winning a franchise record 95 games in 1999. Mr. Hicks is on the board of directors of Major League Baseball Advanced Media, the Internet-based subsidiary of Major League Baseball.

Mr. Hicks serves on the boards of directors of the Cotton Bowl Athletic Association, Crow Family Holdings, as well as The Center for Strategic and International Studies Board of Trustees, the University of Southern California Marshall School of Business Dean’s Board of Advisors, the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Foundation Board of Trustees, and the University of Texas Chancellor’s Council. A former member of the University of Texas System Board of Regents, Mr. Hicks served as Chairman of the University of Texas Investment Management Company (UTIMCO), which manages the $20 billion University of Texas Permanent University Fund and Long Term Funds.

Mr. Hicks graduated with an MBA from the University of Southern California in 1970 and a BBA from the University of Texas in 1968. He is also a recent recipient of the University of Texas Distinguished Alumnus Award, and annually serves as a Distinguished Guest Lecturer at Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business.

With strong ties to the community, Mr. Hicks has provided continuing support to numerous local organizations, and has also held various charity board memberships. Mr. Hicks was the 1996 co-chair of the Dallas Jewish Coalition for the Homeless "Vogel Alcove" project, and was honored as the recipient of the 2000 Henry Cohn Humanitarian Award for the Anti-Defamation League. He is also a past recipient of the Father of the Year Award. The father of six children, Mr. Hicks resides with his wife Cinda in Dallas.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #21: Jan 11, 2010 11:29:58 am
      I mentioned it a while back that I thought that our only hope was through the US supporters groups. The groups who sorted out Cohen.

Attempting to stop Hicks and Gillett getting in to Anfield may be the level the SOS is at, but in the grand scheme of things it is utterly pointless.  Chanting inside grounds only creates divisions amongst fans who want to protest strongly against the owners and those who want to support the team for those 90 minutes.

Spirit of Shankly is the only supporters group with any financial clout. They have a subscription based model and have a relatively large userbase. Should they be using their finances in better ways? I think so.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #22: Jan 11, 2010 12:09:30 pm
      Keep the momentum up.

Hicks Jnr's resignation is in USA Today.

Got to milk that one Stateside.

P.S.  Did i mention?

..... God Bless America. ;D
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #23: Jan 11, 2010 02:12:44 pm
      I agree that ousting these clowns should involve as many reds as possible however our struggle against these two hasn't made a significant impact on british media and were a country that loves football so i find it hard to imagine 50,000 people from another country making a protest when they don't think of football in the same way as we do.

I think the way to get these clowns out is via a paper based in the UK we should try to build a rapport with one newspaper for example getting SOS a story in there would be a brilliant first step. The incentive for the newspaper would be that there are millions of Liverpool fans in the country that would choose their paper infront of others and over the years they would be recognised as much as carlsberg is with us now.

Just my two pennies
      idwLFC89
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #24: Jan 11, 2010 04:08:43 pm
      I mentioned it a while back that I thought that our only hope was through the US supporters groups. The groups who sorted out Cohen.

Attempting to stop Hicks and Gillett getting in to Anfield may be the level the SOS is at, but in the grand scheme of things it is utterly pointless.  Chanting inside grounds only creates divisions amongst fans who want to protest strongly against the owners and those who want to support the team for those 90 minutes.

Spirit of Shankly is the only supporters group with any financial clout. They have a subscription based model and have a relatively large userbase. Should they be using their finances in better ways? I think so.

I sent an email to SoS last night, essentially to all departments of the supporters union. I don't know if they'll get back to me soon, or at all, but I know they're going to be busy especially now that Hjr has resigned. I mean, SoS was front page news on the ESPNsoccernet, which is one of the USA's main soccer news pages.

I'm going to try and rally the troops that I know. Guys that I watch matches with down at the pub are members of other forums such as redandwhitekop who have a lot of members that are directly affiliated with SoS or other important fan groups.

I think you're right though, SoS are the only ones with the financial clout to do anything about the owners. That's why I've contacted them. I'm positive that this story would get picked up by the american sports media, if only there was real commitment from the fans of the club

The more people that support the idea, the harder I'll work to make it happen.
      « Last Edit: Jan 11, 2010 04:25:11 pm by idwLFC89 »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #25: Jan 11, 2010 05:38:51 pm

The more people that support the idea, the harder I'll work to make it happen.

Im on board. How much i can do over here in Oregon i don't know, but im damn sure ill do anything i can. This club means that much to me ill do whatever i can. If i had the money id be in Texas right now blasting the cu*ts with protest on their front lawn.

The American sports media is the key though, they need to know whats going on. And with the connections of Hicks to a high profile Hockey team, and the Rangers in Baseball as well, this could be key. Because if those fans realized what is happening to us, maybe they would question their association with their own clubs and create animosity from home grown fans too, which would add another dimension to the cause.
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Reply #26: Jan 11, 2010 05:48:18 pm
      One email per person(not spamming) telling them(ESPN) about our predicament.

If they get enough emails, that might attract their attention. Once we get their attention, then things will be much easier to follow through. Me might arrange an interview trip for an SOS member to share with them our stories.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #27: Jan 11, 2010 05:48:43 pm
      With the availability of handguns being what it is in the US the solution is pretty clear.
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #28: Jan 11, 2010 07:12:28 pm
      Could we raise awareness in the States by effectively questioning American Business practices? Ask the question of the american people...are Hicks and Gillett the best you have to promote the way the USA does business?  Name and shame...
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,480 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #29: Jan 11, 2010 07:14:20 pm
      One email per person(not spamming) telling them(ESPN) about our predicament.

If they get enough emails, that might attract their attention. Once we get their attention, then things will be much easier to follow through. Me might arrange an interview trip for an SOS member to share with them our stories.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #30: Jan 11, 2010 07:23:49 pm
      Brilliant post that mate. We really need to do something different, because protests over here aren't working, the Yanks won't care about them, or might not even know when they happen, because there on the other side of the world. There does need to be something different done to get to them, because at the moment what is being done isn't working.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #31: Jan 12, 2010 10:25:10 am
      Why don't we hire a terrorist? I bet he's the best solution we got  :lmao:

Billionairs don't give a sh*t about media because the sound of their money is much louder.

I believe 100% in what you said. Add to that, "Outside America is outside America", Americans don't even care about football. What is the percentage of Americans who would like to watch a program or an interview concerning Liverpool FC? They will switch the channel immediately and that's why, IMO, no American big t.v channel will think of it.

The success of the club is the key to draw the investors' attention. We are alone this year and we should face it, win the Europa League and achieve a good position then things will change..
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #32: Jan 12, 2010 10:35:02 am
      Could we raise awareness in the States by effectively questioning American Business practices? Ask the question of the American people...are Hicks and Gillett the best you have to promote the way the USA does business?  Name and shame...
      As I posted earlier mate it is with some irony that the procedure they implemented to acquire the club is in fact banned in the US whilst in the UK they screwed us legitimately with the same transaction.
      idwLFC89
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #33: Jan 12, 2010 11:51:58 am
      As I posted earlier mate it is with some irony that the procedure they implemented to acquire the club is in fact banned in the US whilst in the UK they screwed us legitimately with the same transaction.

I don't want H&G representing my country, and I think that the american people wouldn't want that either. I think it's incredible that H&G and the Glazers will have more of an impact on football than an American player ever will. That's sad.

Why don't we hire a terrorist? I bet he's the best solution we got  :lmao:

Billionairs don't give a sh*t about media because the sound of their money is much louder.

I believe 100% in what you said. Add to that, "Outside America is outside America", Americans don't even care about football. What is the percentage of Americans who would like to watch a program or an interview concerning Liverpool FC? They will switch the channel immediately and that's why, IMO, no American big t.v channel will think of it.

The success of the club is the key to draw the investors' attention. We are alone this year and we should face it, win the Europa League and achieve a good position then things will change..

First of all, don't even joke about terrorism because we don't even need that anywhere near our club

If no americans cared about football, then I wouldn't be here would I. And it's cowardly to give up without making an effort

Lastly, when you're a Liverpool supporter 'You'll Never Walk Alone'
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #34: Jan 12, 2010 12:02:37 pm
      Lastly, when you're a Liverpool supporter 'You'll Never Walk Alone'

Well said Imani.  Also as someone living in America you have a better idea as to what your audience will listen to and how to approach getting your points across.

I can't believe the apathy shown on here by some of our UK members, after all look at the success we had in America with that leach Steve Cohen.

Come on Redmen get behind the girl she's trying to do something to save our Club.
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Reply #35: Jan 12, 2010 12:18:38 pm
      "Outside America is outside America", Americans don't even care about football. What is the percentage of Americans who would like to watch a program or an interview concerning Liverpool FC? They will switch the channel immediately and that's why, IMO, no American big t.v channel will think of it.

The american tv channels won't pick up the piece if we sell it as Liverpool/soccer issues, but they will pick it up and take notice if we sell the news as 2 american Con-artist making profit in UK and Brazil(as Hicks did to Corinthians) using a business method which is illegal in the US.

Their track records(more like financial records) will be our greatest weapon. Let ESPN put their scheme under scrutiny and let us provide the evidence for the tv channel to expose their their operations.

Come on lads, lets make them feel what we've felt for the past 3 years... embarrass them to maximum degree in their own soil.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #36: Jan 12, 2010 02:01:16 pm
      I don't want H&G representing my country, and I think that the american people wouldn't want that either. I think it's incredible that H&G and the Glazers will have more of an impact on football than an American player ever will. That's sad.

The only thing that H&G represent is an image of selfish, dishonest greed it is unfortunate that they are associated with the USA.
      Do not think for a moment that because they are described as American bas**rds for instance that this is any reference to the USA. Pricks like that are everywhere and we are indeed grateful for the fine efforts our American friends. 
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #37: Jan 12, 2010 02:37:11 pm
      In my ponion the only way to hurt H$G enough to make them call Quits for good and leave our beloved club is to hurt Liverpool in the process in the short term... But I think it is worth it.

Just as in Madrid, the fans show their disatisfaction by deserting the stadiums and their TV screens... Those 2 rascards are pure business people. The only thing that makes them act is $$$ or the lack of. They will be forced to sell if stadiums start emptying. It will hurt our club in the short term but short of that nothing will make those 2 leave.

I am personally not against business people buying a club as long as they have a geniune passion for the sport of football and a love for the club they are buying, LFC. I am however against owners who use debt to finance the purchase of a club that they know nothing about. Owners that do not know anything about the sport of football. Owners that have a short term view for our club...

As a matter of fact, we should not even refer to them as owners as the banks really own the club of Liverpool...

The Yanks have to go!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #38: Jan 12, 2010 02:39:59 pm
      In my ponion the only way to hurt H$G enough to make them call Quits for good and leave our beloved club is to hurt Liverpool in the process in the short term... But I think it is worth it.

Just as in Madrid, the fans show their disatisfaction by deserting the stadiums and their TV screens... Those 2 rascards are pure business people. The only thing that makes them act is $$$ or the lack of. They will be forced to sell if stadiums start emptying. It will hurt our club in the short term but short of that nothing will make those 2 leave.

I am personally not against business people buying a club as long as they have a geniune passion for the sport of football and a love for the club they are buying, LFC. I am however against owners who use debt to finance the purchase of a club that they know nothing about. Owners that do not know anything about the sport of football. Owners that have a short term view for our club...

As a matter of fact, we should not even refer to them as owners as the banks really own the club of Liverpool...

The Yanks have to go!

Won't happen, we won't be deserting the team any time soon!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #39: Jan 12, 2010 03:19:44 pm
      It's a big idea, I know, and yes, I was near sleep when I thought of it, I might have been dreaming. But it's something, and is it so terrible to dream?

Any idea that could lead to rid our club of the parasites that currently suck the life out of it, is well worth a mention. And I personally want to say thank you for taking the time to explain clearly what you mean and try to give a clear impression of the viewpoint from America.

I honestly believe the tried methods of protests outside the ground are stale and only cause attention for little more than a day at best. There has to be other avenues to go down now. And more people need to be on board. I think you'll find it's human nature for people wanting to support a good cause against a regime that stinks of dishonesty and greed, at the expense of a massive, loyal, honest, fan base. Especially if it's in your backyard.

It's not a bad idea and if there's an excuse to have a few drinks and a sing song, there'll be a good few scousers up for it. It will take a lot of organising though. The union should be onto this. I'll be surprised if they're not.
      idwLFC89
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #40: Jan 12, 2010 06:31:27 pm
      Any idea that could lead to rid our club of the parasites that currently suck the life out of it, is well worth a mention. And I personally want to say thank you for taking the time to explain clearly what you mean and try to give a clear impression of the viewpoint from America.

I honestly believe the tried methods of protests outside the ground are stale and only cause attention for little more than a day at best. There has to be other avenues to go down now. And more people need to be on board. I think you'll find it's human nature for people wanting to support a good cause against a regime that stinks of dishonesty and greed, at the expense of a massive, loyal, honest, fan base. Especially if it's in your backyard.

It's not a bad idea and if there's an excuse to have a few drinks and a sing song, there'll be a good few scousers up for it. It will take a lot of organising though. The union should be onto this. I'll be surprised if they're not.

A bit of drink, and a sing about is exactly what I'm talking about. Americans don't sing when it comes to sports, so hearing real fans belt out their most impassioned songs would be refreshing. I do a lot of explaining around here about why I'm a football fan, and why more americans should become football fans, one of the points I always bring up is how the songs are sung in the stadiums and in the streets, and how these songs bring every fan together from all walks of life.

I'm a member of LFCNY, which is the official New York supporters club. I'm also a member of LFCNY - New Haven, which is based in New Haven, Connecticut. There are the insatiables like me, almost never miss a match, and are really well informed, I'm sure they would love to get in on this. I'll be seeing all of them tomorrow for reading.

SoS has sent me an email in response to the email that I sent them. The email i sent was essentially a direct copy & paste from the topic post on this forum, with a little blurb explaining who I was, etc. The email was short, simple. It read: "Many thanks for your ideas. I will share these with the rest of the committee for consideration. Regards, SoS."

So at least it's a start, I mean, at least someone from SoS has seen my idea, and contacted me about it. So I feel as if that's a good sign.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #41: Jan 12, 2010 10:44:53 pm
      The american tv channels won't pick up the piece if we sell it as Liverpool/soccer issues, but they will pick it up and take notice if we sell the news as 2 american Con-artist making profit in UK and Brazil(as Hicks did to Corinthians) using a business method which is illegal in the US.

Their track records(more like financial records) will be our greatest weapon. Let ESPN put their scheme under scrutiny and let us provide the evidence for the tv channel to expose their their operations.

Come on lads, lets make them feel what we've felt for the past 3 years... embarrass them to maximum degree in their own soil.
      Well that makes sense to me, hope this works out, thanks for clarifying mate.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #42: Jan 13, 2010 12:00:28 am
      I think LFC have a large US base.  Dont forget that it was a US LFC Supporters group that got Steven Cohen and World Soccer Daily cancelled from all the Satellite radio companies and his company went bankrupt because of it. They made comments about Hillsborough and the US Supporters got all his sponsors to drop him and cancel the show.

So, I think the LFC community here in the States is fairly active and widespread. I go to a bar that has a HUGE LFC base.  I think the EPL is more popular than MLS. Due to the time difference and distance between us, it is not regularly shown on US TV. But Champions League is shown Live here on ESPN and so are a lot of EPL matches.

We have a few "Investigative" Sports shows on ESPN which should really report on the US Influence on the English Game.  I think its two fold, good and bad.  We have begun to export some talented players, but we have also exported the "Business Model" which destroyed our sports.
      idwLFC89
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #43: Jan 13, 2010 06:30:49 am
      I feel that there's a great sense of unity among Liverpool supporters, why can't that spread across the pond? At the end of the day, anyone who showed up to this thing would know that they had two things in common with every other person there: we all hate H&G, and we all hate manchester united. I think that's enough to all get along, I think it would be fun if we made it this huge event. All it would have to be is a large number of people gathered under one crest, having a good time, and spreading the message that we wont tolerate this being done to our beloved club, and that we'll go anywhere and do anything to stop it.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #44: Jan 13, 2010 07:05:31 am
      Its all about getting the story out there in the right context. Yeah, if we say "English Football club in financial strife" then a lot will not care, nor even know who Liverpool FC is. But, if we put it out there in the context of "Corrupt American businessmen ruining one of the worlds greatest sporting instituitions" or something of the like, then you might get some of the general sports enthusiasts reading. It's all about getting the genuine sports lover interested, because as sports fans it doesnt really matter what sport it is, if you see a story about some great club in trouble like we are, you would listen, or read. For example, you may not give two shits about the New York Yankees, but if you read a story headline in the UK, or Australia, with the theme about it being "One of the great American sporting teams in risk of financial ruin" then the general johnny sports fan will probably give it a quick read at least while hes having his/her coffee and toast.

Thats what i am going to try and get going. Im going to my college newspaper meeting next week, and gonna try and see of theyll let me start writing a few sports stories, and ill be putting a bit of the EPL, and more importantly Liverpool in there. But, one of my first will be a feature on this issue. How many will care here, i do not know. But its about getting it out wherever it can, because every place it gets out will get a few readers every time, a few interested. Those numbers will multiply as interest in the issue gets noticed, and im sure more larger sports media places will have an interest as although football may not be big here, theres enough people with interest in the sport for them not to ignore it.

Im prepared to do whatever i can with any of you here, and any Liverpool fans anywhere, but most importantly here. Lets get on this, its gotta be done.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #45: Jan 13, 2010 02:32:43 pm
      It's the perfect time to bring them down. People are up in arms about banks/debt/Americans so if we can get the support of some Americans, it will spread.

Well in, bigv.
      idwLFC89
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #46: Jan 21, 2010 07:00:50 pm
      What if we had an american style protest against the yanks? What I mean by that is, in the United States when the fans gets pissed off at the ownership or the coaching staff, they make themselves heard. You see it all the time at Football games, at baseball games, just fans with posters voicing their opinions. I know you all have banners, but I think using posters with just short clever phrases that get the point across, could be useful.

I mean, the camera wouldn't even have to zero in to see the full extent of the protest

maybe sometime toward the end of the season?

I'm just trying to be a proactive supporter. I may not be from Liverpool, but I've invested so much time, money, and heart in becoming a Liverpool supporter, there's no going back now. I want to be able to support this club when I'm old and grey, and I refuse to sit by while H&G reek havoc on our club. I dunno, I believe that we're the most proactive supporters in Britain, but we're dealing with a whole new animal with these two. They aren't scouse, they aren't english, they aren't even european, I mean, they're trying to compare the Kop End to an endzone. So I think we have to be creative to get their attention
      liver-lad1984
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #47: Jan 24, 2010 08:18:51 pm
      Hi guys im new on here and would just like to say what an excellent idea this is, I have been reading a lot lately on these two idiots mainly on RAWK and SOS. I am going to put all of my efforts into finding a way to get the ball rolling asap.

I think the comment about going to the ESPN studio for a peaceful protest is a great way to go about it, imagine if even 50 passionate Lfc fans arrived at the doors and began singing YNWA holding banners they would surely want to know what it was all in aid of.

If nothing happens just go back again the next day, and then the next until they have to find out why it's happening.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #48: Jan 24, 2010 08:25:36 pm
      Hi guys im new on here and would just like to say what an excellent idea this is, I have been reading a lot lately on these two idiots mainly on RAWK and SOS. I am going to put all of my efforts into finding a way to get the ball rolling asap.

I think the comment about going to the ESPN studio for a peaceful protest is a great way to go about it, imagine if even 50 passionate Lfc fans arrived at the doors and began singing YNWA holding banners they would surely want to know what it was all in aid of.

Good to see right from ya first post you are right on board with this :) Welcome mate!

This is it, the protests need to start here in the US now as well. Unfortunately as well organized and as good as the Anfield protests were, its like shooting an arrow at a tank as far as the distance from Anfield to these cu*ts places in the US. They know that they are not going to be hounded here, well that needs to be changed. If sh*t started happening here, sports networks would inevitably show some of it, and that would bring the pressure on them. And thats what is needed, pressure to perform there duties as owners or get out. Get out, preferably, obviously.
      liver-lad1984
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #49: Jan 24, 2010 08:32:56 pm
      Hi bigvYNWA thanks for the welcome mate and as for the ESPN protest i was talking about in my post, presumably they have offices in various states. The BBC has them in London and Manchester and the UK is very small the ESPN protesting could be carried out at each regional office thus maximising visibility only a small number of fans would be needed for them to take this story to the tv. Just an idea.

Anyways see you later gotta get to the hospital to see my baby.

Quick Reply