Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Reds & Barca agree Mascherano fee

Read 1057 times
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reds & Barca agree Mascherano fee
      Aug 27, 2010 07:51:02 am
      Inevitable

iverpool have agreed a transfer fee with Barcelona for Javier Mascherano, who asked to leave Anfield last month.

"The Spanish club have now been given permission to speak to the Argentina midfielder," said the club website.

The Reds were keen to recoup the £18m they paid three-and-a-half years ago, after Mascherano joined from West Ham.

Mascherano, 26, missed Thursday's trip to Trabzonspor, where Liverpool secured a place in the group stages of the Europa League with a 3-1 aggregate win.

The Argentina captain joined Liverpool from West Ham in 2007, initially on a loan deal that was turned into a four-year contract the following year.

Barcelona failed in an attempt to lure him to Spain last summer but on his return from the World Cup in July, Mascherano made it clear he wanted to leave Liverpool, saying his wife could not settle in England.

Since taking charge of Liverpool in July, manager Roy Hodgson has been eager to end the uncertainty surrounding Mascherano's future.

"I am seriously hoping that in the next couple of days it will be sorted out one way or another," said Hodgson on Thursday. "Although I have no idea which way that will be."

Liverpool have also received a bid for Mascherano from Inter Milan, now coached by Hodgson's predecessor Rafael Benitez.

But the former Fulham boss dismissed the offer from the Italian side saying: "We received a fax about Mascherano [from Inter], but it was a joke fax."

Mascherano did not travel to Trabzon for the Reds' Europa League play-off but prior to accepting Barca's bid, Hodgson had said he would not rule out selecting the combative midfielder for Sunday's Premier League game against West Brom.

Meanwhile, Inter have also been linked with a move for Liverpool forward Dirk Kuyt.

However, following the victory over Trabzonspor the Dutch World Cup finalist committed his future to Anfield.

"I have had a great time here so far and hope my future here will be great as well and that I can win trophies with Liverpool," said Kuyt.

More to follow.

Thank you for 3 years, what a shame the manner in which you left has left a stain on your time at anfield.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Reds & Barca agree Mascherano fee
      Reply #1: Aug 27, 2010 08:05:02 am
      Theres a thread in the transfer board mate, doubt this warrants its own discussion in all honesty.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #2: Aug 27, 2010 08:14:08 am
      noticed once id posted and cant delete =/
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3: Aug 27, 2010 08:16:32 am