Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Need Help w/ Anti Virus.

Read 1240 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Need Help w/ Anti Virus.
      Jan 17, 2010 12:37:19 am
      I have a question for anyone who has an MCSE or is a Security Tech or very good at Networking.

I am currently running the AVG 9.0 free edition, I have Zone Alarm Firewall and use Ad-aware and Malwarebytes. I turned off my Windows Firewall and decided to go with Zone Alarm because it blocks inbound and outbound. The Windows Firewall only blocks incoming attacks.

I run updates and scans a few times a week and keep my Windows updated. (Vista SP2).  First, I think I have a virus. I have noticed some intermittent issues. Sometimes my Firefox acts weird, my Firewall shuts itself off at times. I know that sometimes when running a Windows Update, it can turn off your firewall for the update to Install correctly. I've run deep scans with my utilities and have found nothing. No virus,malware anything. It could be nothing but I just get VERY concerned when my Firewall shuts down by itself.  I've checked the system "processes" and dont see any action or uploading, downloading when the Firewall is off. But if it is a virus it may mask the process database so it wont alert my Anti-Virus software like a Bot or Spider.

I have considered removing AVG, AD-Aware and Zone Alarm and run the new "Windows Security Essentials Suite" which is supposed to be awesome and comes with Windows 7.  It is backwards compatible with XP and Vista. I want to remove the individual apps to free up some resources, speed up the boot and cut down on RAM usage and have one self centered, all in one, security suite and its free. Once I reduce the resources, I was going to do a simple defrag, just to get the system running a little more smoother.  I know a Defrag wont root out the Virus, I just want to do it to maybe speed it up a bit and run cleaner. reduce empty files and inop resources.

Is anyone using the new Windows Security Essentials?  If so, do you like it, is it working?   Any recommendations?    Plus are their any online, free security scanners, which can root out a Deep Virus or something hidden in the registry or System files?  I dont want to fool around with my registry or System files with something that will do more harm than good. I dont want to do a "regedit" or go into OS files etc.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Need Help w/ Anti Virus.
      Reply #1: Jan 17, 2010 03:17:18 pm
      I use Microsoft Security Essentials, and it digs deep when scanning - very deep.

I run a scan every Thursday at 6am, and my computer is right as rain. Also use Malwarebytes' Anti-malware too.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #2: Jan 18, 2010 02:33:25 am
      I use Microsoft Security Essentials, and it digs deep when scanning - very deep.

I run a scan every Thursday at 6am, and my computer is right as rain. Also use Malwarebytes' Anti-malware too.

Are you running Windows 7 or Vista and Does it come with Firewall...Inbound/Outbound?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Jan 19, 2010 05:36:22 pm
      I have AVG 9.0 Full, and my Fire wall shuts down now and again. I presume, and I think I am right here it happens when the AVG programme updates some part of its software/programme. This has only happened with Vista, not when I was running XP.

Full version was £54 for 2 years cover.
      Inc:
      Anti Virus
      Anti Spywear
      Anti Spam
      Firewall
      Link Scanner
      Anti Rootkit
      System Scanner
      E mail Scanner
      ID Protection
      Licence
      Web Sheild
      Resident Sheild
      Updater,

They also send you a CD as well.

Good Luck. and Back up.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #4: Jan 22, 2010 12:49:36 am
      Yeah, I think certain updates can shut your firewall down. Which is kind of a weakness in the firewall design. Whats to stop someone from attaching a simple, windows update to the front of a Trojan horse or Virus, shut down your firewall then install a virus?  I would think that any firewall should still run in the background during Updates.

Regardless.

Well, I downloaded and Installed the Windows Security Essentials.

I removed and uninstalled AVG, AD-Aware and Malwarebytes.

The install went perfect and the uninstalls. But, as soon as I rebooted, updated and turned on the Windows Security Suite. My Laptop would freeze up after 2 minutes. It happened 5 times in a row. Everytime I had to Hardboot the Laptop.  It wouldnt let me go online, connect to any programs, open files or anything.  :mad:

I finally just went back, went to safe mode, Uninstalled the Windows Security Essentials,removed the update, reinstalled AVG and it works fine now. No problems.

I cant figure it out.  I did not remove my Zone Alarm Firewall or turn it off.  I'm wondering if those 2 programs were knocking eachother out and freeezing my system up.  I was going to try and contact M/Soft but I dont know if I could even manage to get a tech on the phone.

Quick Reply