What would you say to Gerrard?

Read 6501 times
      idwLFC89
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 252 posts | 11 
      What would you say to Gerrard?
      Jan 17, 2010 09:34:02 am
      Well son... how do you want to go out...

Your career is nearing its twilight. Nearly all of your life, has been devoted to Liverpool. Every scouser knows you changed blue for red for good as soon as the flash went of that infamous photo that was taken of you as boy. You've grown up, you've become a man in these colors, you've become a legend. You are admired, you are a hero. You've done it all, with one glaring omission. But don't think that just because legendary status is given, that it cannot dissolve away. You know what it means to support this club, and you certainly know what this club means to the better half of the city. Do you remember much of the days before that matchday itch? Before remembering to bring a water bottle, and going home with scraped knees? Liverpool has been a part of so much of your life, it would be a pity to throw it all away now. Because it doesn't matter how many trophies you win somewhere else, it will never be as special because you're not one of them.

You'll be 30 this year Stevie, and not getting any younger. I can tell that it's getting harder for you to recover after matches, and there is more on your mind now than just scoring goals. You have a family, naturally there are responsibilities. But you have to know, that at the highest level, and with the injuries you've been having, at most you've only got 3 years left to be an everyday player. Maybe only one year left as a starter on any team in Europe, then two years on any team in the Premier League. Then your body will really start needing to recover, and these Wednesday - Saturday matches wont come as easy, and I know that you're already starting to feel that.

Think about it, after so many good times, so many good memories. After seeing all the faces of the people that have every sang your name at Anfield. It would be a dagger through the heart, felt across the world, but most of all at home in Liverpool if you were to leave now. Many bonds you've developed with teammates, and former players would be severed. Some things you just can't forgive. If you go, there will be the moving, adjusting to the city, and settling with the team. Because, Stevie let's be honest here. For the most part, new fans will expect the Steven Gerrard who scored all those cracking goals on youtube. They don't care if you're 29, they've paid good money, they want to see some results. If you aren't playing well, then don't expect them to stick by you as long as people here have.

I know that you yearn for the Premier League trophy, we all know that you want it as much as we all do. It will shut up the doubters for good. But if you got it somewhere else, would you really be that much of a legend? Yeah, City haven't won it since before most can remember. But you're not one of them, you can't hide it. You're scouse lad, that's clear every time you open your mouth. Do you really think you'll be accepted in Manchester? Winning it somewhere else would be an amazing high for a few years, but soon you'd be forgotten. Your name wouldn't have the longevity of others, because even at best, you've got 6 years left, and most of that would be starting from the bench on another squad. At least the squads you want to be in.

You've spent all of your professional career at Liverpool Football Club. All those highlights, awards, and trophies were earned wearing a red shirt. Think of all the good times you've had, think of Istanbul and what you've accomplished. You've played in matches that every footballer has only dreamed of, and won. Don't taint all those memories with one knee jerk decision. Yes, sometimes things get rough and they don't go the way you want for awhile. But that's a part of life, and this only gets more obvious as you get older. Steven, did you ever consider this could reasonably be your last world cup? Are you even thinking of that? Who would be wearing your shirt if you were no longer a Liverpool player?

We can turn this around, things have the potential to get better. If it's really your desire to go, then at least give us one more year to turn things around. Because Captain, you're the most important member of the squad. In times like these, the team looks to you for stability. If your head is somewhere in Madrid, then so is theirs. The thing with the owners is going to get better. If I go, then you can still thrive. Just think about your life, and think about these fans, and think about the privilege  it's been being a professional footballer that is adored by all that matter. Because there are plenty of men out there that aren't, and would give anything to have your stature for 90 minutes.

We can do this. You can go out on a high note. You can be one of the greatest players the English game has ever seen, and that's guaranteed because you'd be the best that ever played for Liverpool and that alone puts you at the top of the list. So I want you to take this all in, and think about things in perspective. Think about all you've accomplished in the past, what's done now, and all that's to be done in the future. Then decide. But I think you'll find, the best choice is to stay with LFC.  

So, what would you guys say to Stevie? We can't have his head even the slightest bit turned, even if he is stuck on the sidelines. I mean, he is a legend and it would be a catastrophe if he left the club at this stage of his career, not to mention on the pitch. Depending on how bad things get: there is a chance he could leave in the summer. Along with Torres. This thing with our form and the owners need to be sorted, so we can keep the players that hold together our squad. Gerrard's the type of player who at this point, knows how to train. Now it's up to him if he wants to train, if he wants to play, and if he wants to win.

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2010 10:18:02 am by idwLFC89 »
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Re: What would you say to Gerrard?
      Reply #1: Jan 17, 2010 09:52:47 am
      Every scouser knows you changed blue for red as soon as the flash went of that infamous photo that was taken of you as boy.

Stevie was never a Blue, that pic was taken on a day out with his uncle, he said atthe time he also wore United shirts purely to pretend to be the player who wore them.

I think people should lay off Stevie, he is the last great world class player the red side of Merseyside has produced and although he's having a shitty season its no excuse to loose faith in him
      idwLFC89
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #2: Jan 17, 2010 09:55:36 am
      Stevie was never a Blue, that pic was taken on a day out with his uncle, he said atthe time he also wore United shirts purely to pretend to be the player who wore them.

I think people should lay off Stevie, he is the last great world class player the red side of Merseyside has produced and although he's having a shitty season its no excuse to loose faith in him

Oh, I have no problem with Stevie, on his worst days he's better than most. I'm just saying, that even the curiosity of leaving should be wiped from Gerrard's head, and that needs to be done now. I mean, we can't have these rumors creeping back up again in April.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #3: Jan 17, 2010 09:58:30 am
      He wont leave, Simple as that.

He's commited, and as its been said in the past on these boards, if he went to the Chavs for 2 seasons and won everything possible it wouldnt mean that much to him
      idwLFC89
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #4: Jan 17, 2010 10:13:19 am
      He wont leave, Simple as that.

He's commited, and as its been said in the past on these boards, if he went to the Chavs for 2 seasons and won everything possible it wouldnt mean that much to him

Nothing's for certain in football

but that's not what this thread is about, this thread is about essentially 'what would you say to get the best out of our captain' because stevie's at a level where training can no longer help. yes, you can gain fitness, but Gerrard has learned the game by now, we've all seen that
      « Last Edit: Jan 17, 2010 10:21:12 am by idwLFC89 »
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #5: Jan 17, 2010 10:52:01 am
      Do what your heart tells you lad.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,289 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6: Jan 17, 2010 10:53:10 am
      Thanks Stevie for a great ten years service
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #7: Jan 17, 2010 11:00:24 am
      There's no doubt that you're a brilliant player, and you possess the ability to turn any match on it's head. 

But our lads don't only need great players around them. They need a great captain at times like this. So start acting like one or give the armband to someone who will.
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #8: Jan 17, 2010 11:22:39 am
      Rumours are rife that there was a  major bust up at half time on wednesday between the skipper And pellegrino and purslow was called down to sort things out  , the way the substitution was done was strange as babel had took his place back on the bench only to be told he was going on , so is stevie g injured or suspended who knows .
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #9: Jan 17, 2010 03:41:32 pm
      Rumours are rife that there was a  major bust up at half time on wednesday between the skipper And pellegrino and purslow was called down to sort things out  , the way the substitution was done was strange as babel had took his place back on the bench only to be told he was going on , so is stevie g injured or suspended who knows .
      I have heard the same rumours and thought the way the substitution was made. Looking at the players body language something is wrong, and for all him current problems we would be stuffed without Gerrard
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #10: Jan 17, 2010 03:49:43 pm
      You are captain of England's most successful football team.

Act like it.

It is an honour.
      Hans
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts | -1 
      Reply #11: Jan 17, 2010 03:57:00 pm
      Follow your heart................... ....
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #12: Jan 17, 2010 04:01:59 pm
      this episode could make his mind up to leave , so a bit of support on Wednesday night for our skipper as it looks like things come to a head the other night and he has stood up against Rafa and his coaching squad and probably told them we are playing sh*te and it's all gone off if this is the case good on him it's only how we all feel about things so a show of loyalty for him might go along way in making him stay here.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #13: Jan 17, 2010 04:08:07 pm
      I'd stutter, stammer and ask for his autograph ;D
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #14: Jan 17, 2010 04:13:38 pm
      In view of our current position in the league and the importance of qualifying for the CL, this is probably one of the most important seasons ever in the history of our beloved club. I can't imagine what could happen to us if we don't qualify, so I would, once he is fit, say . . .

. . . come on Stevie lad, give us one final push. If this is to be your final season, then we need your inspiration once more. You are and will always be an Anfield legend and this club needs you more than ever. Go out on a high and don't give anyone any reason to slate you when and if you go.

I certainly for one will applaud your efforts if you decide to leave. No one could really blame you.

Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #15: Jan 17, 2010 04:13:54 pm
      But our lads don't only need great players around them. They need a great captain at times like this. So start acting like one or give the armband to someone who will.

Perfect.
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #16: Jan 17, 2010 04:30:08 pm
      Foolw your heart Stevie. For reasons I wont go into here I would be gutted if you leave. The club would get a top price for you and sometimes the needs of the many (or the club) outweigh the needs of the one.

I hope you stay but if you leave...go abroad to follow your dream son.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #17: Jan 17, 2010 04:30:49 pm
      I love Gerrard. He is everything that says BEST.

But, I can't condone insubordination in any form. It could lead to anarchy. As a captain, leading by example is his first responsibility - You can not undermine the Manager or the Coaching staff. Not acceptable.

Gerrard should know better.

I bet you Gerrard, you don't want to find out if the team can do without you. Get a grip. We all love you.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #18: Jan 17, 2010 04:52:05 pm
      Gerrard leaving would be a terrible blow to us but I just hope that if he does go, it is abroad. I could never hold it against him because we couldn't have asked more from him over the last 10 years. He genuinely deserves to be winning big trophies on a regular basis and if we were his friends, rather than understandably biased supporters, we would back him in that quest. After coming so close last season, Stevie must have thought that he was finally close to getting his dream of winning the title with Liverpool but now another season is lost.The clock is ticking and he can't be at the top of his game for much longer.
      Stevie, I love you, I thank you. I hope you stay to fight but if you really have lost faith in the club that we all know you love, I wish you all the best.
      idwLFC89
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #19: Jan 17, 2010 05:23:07 pm
      I could never hold it against him because we couldn't have asked more from him over the last 10 years.

I could absolutely hold it against him. It's never all right when your hero betrays you. I mean, he's done everything over the past 10 years beside win a Premier League title, I think he should want to accomplish that here.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #20: Jan 17, 2010 05:42:07 pm
      I could absolutely hold it against him. It's never all right when your hero betrays you. I mean, he's done everything over the past 10 years beside win a Premier League title, I think he should want to accomplish that here.

I don't think it would be a betrayal. He'd go while getting the club a good price, not like Owen going for peanuts because he wouldn't sign a new contract.

I hate to say it but if Stevie really has lost faith in the club and management I'd wish him all the best and totally understand the reasons. He's given everything to this club over the last 10 years, he could have left earlier but chose to stay and fight for the Premier League.

The fairytale hasn't ended the way it should have so if these rumours are correct I'd say thank you Stevie, you're a true Liverpool legend.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #21: Jan 17, 2010 05:44:42 pm
      F***ing cheer up, and step up for the club you adored since you were a child.

Get back to your best form, because then you are simply the best in the world! ;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,246 posts | 8577 
      Reply #22: Jan 17, 2010 05:45:40 pm
      Can your brother sort us any green?

Quick Reply