Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Fernando Torres urges Liverpool to sign David Villa

Read 8509 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Jan 19, 2010 11:25:57 am

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres has urged manager Rafa Benítez to sign his Spanish international team-mate David Villa to help turn the club's fortunes around.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/7024608/Fernando-Torres-urges-Liverpool-to-sign-David-Villa.html

Benítez is searching for a striker this month with Torres sit to miss the next six weeks following knee surgery.

A loan move for Sunderland's Kenwyne Jones has been knocked back by Sunderland, although a permanent deal for the Trinidad and Tobago international remains an option.

Torres, though, would rather Benítez looked to Spain - and his former club Valencia - for reinforcements.

"If I could, I would take David Villa or David Silva to Liverpool as a partner in attack," Torres said. "I wish they could come. It would be a great asset for our team.

"We need match-winners like Rooney or Tévez. We need footballers who break the deadlock in matches. Liverpool is losing the Premier League in home games against average teams."

Jones, a £6 million buy from Southampton in Aug 2007, has scored just six goals for Sunderland this season, but manager Steve Bruce is under no pressure to sell to raise transfer funds.

Bruce is understood to be willing to part with Jones, but only on a permanent basis, forcing Benítez to hope that funds can be raised by the possible sale of Dutch winger Ryan Babel.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Fernando Torres urges Liverpool to sign David Villa
      Reply #1: Jan 19, 2010 11:30:00 am
      Thanks Fernando. We know it, you know it, Rafa knows it, but the Yanks wont have any part of it!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2: Jan 19, 2010 11:31:55 am
      Thanks Fernando. We know it, you know it, Rafa knows it, but the Yanks wont have any part of it!

About sums up it perfectly mate, what worries me about this though is this is the second third time Nando has made such calls that have fallen on deaf ears, how long will it take for him to become frustrated not seeing players of his calibre arrive at the club ?
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #3: Jan 19, 2010 11:34:56 am
      Well in Fernando, somehow i think the Amercicans wont even read it, tw*ts
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #4: Jan 19, 2010 11:35:42 am
      Just F***ing imagine it.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #5: Jan 19, 2010 11:37:10 am
      About sums up it perfectly mate, what worries me about this though is this is the second third time Nando has made such calls that have fallen on deaf ears, how long will it take for him to become frustrated not seeing players of his calibre arrive at the club ?

There are 3 blokes i know who would die for the cause and that is Torres, Reina and Carra. I don't think it will lead to them leaving, but it could make them disheartened.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: Jan 19, 2010 11:39:07 am

No thanks, I like my underwear without mayonnaise in them ;D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #7: Jan 19, 2010 11:51:59 am
      Nando is echoing the managers' thoughts and anyone else who has got their ear to the ground - so that excludes the owners who have their heads up some bankers arse prostituting our club for a few dollars more.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #8: Jan 19, 2010 11:57:06 am
      If Fernando says this you know well he has discussed it with Silva and Villa and I've no doubts in my mind both players have said they would come here if Liverpool were in a position to pay there transfer fee.

The problem we have 2 owners that would laugh if asked to put there hands in there own pocket. They would prefer to see someone like Jones on loan at Liverpool then stumping up the fee for one of these players and genuinely exciting the fans and they wonder why they are hated.
      fraggle786
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | 15 
      Reply #9: Jan 19, 2010 11:59:39 am

I think this is the cause of our on the field problems. Prephaps the players felt that after last season, there wud be finances made available in the summer to make sure we cud challenge for it this season but no finances/ broken promises by the owners has caused the players to lose motivation.

Just a thought......
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #10: Jan 19, 2010 12:00:12 pm
      Oh Nando ! Your so cute when your sarcastic ( Your cute even when your not ....but that's not the point) ! But really with our budget we wont be able to afford on of his fingers !
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #11: Jan 19, 2010 12:15:20 pm
      I've heard a lot of people say that Torres is best played as a sole striker, and that is what he prefers, but with what he says here he seems to be saying the opposite himself.

I don't know if he's feeling the pressure of carrying our attack single-handed, but if the best player in the world in his position is calling for a strike partner, then get him one. We can see that Voronin didn't, and Kuyt doesn't, have the quality to partner him, and N'Gog is either not ready or better as a replacement for Fernando.

We clearly need to play two up front - two top class strikers, one of which our squad is clearly missing.

I have no doubt that one of the two players mentioned could be persuaded to come to Anfield with ease, leaving the problem simply down to lack of funds.

It is a terrible shame that the players, fans and manager can see what is missing from the squad, and yet we are unable to complete what would be a fearsome starting XI because of our profit-seeking owners. I understand that they cannot throw hundreds of millions of pounds into the squad, but the promise was made when they took over that they would provide investment of at least one world class player a year, and that hasn't happened.

The situation is a disgrace, and with the right investment the club could be earning top prize money to cover these signings, and were we not crippled by interest payments that these idiots have burdened us with, I don't believe we'd be in the position we're currently in.

Throw blame wherever you want, there's plenty of it to go around, but I firmly place the largest part at the feet of our Yank owners.

And I now refer you to my signature for the conclusion to this post.
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #12: Jan 19, 2010 12:35:36 pm
      well in torres m8 yr spot on with that would love to it happen ,dont think it will ever m8
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #13: Jan 19, 2010 12:45:09 pm
      It sometimes wonder if the players know the actually situatuion regarding as like Nando I would more then welcome Villa to Liverpool but at the moment I don't even know if we could even afford David Healy!!!
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #14: Jan 19, 2010 12:47:10 pm
      Absolutely. Torres isn't loud and brash and has conducted himself excellently, but for him to come out and say these things show that our big players are frustrated. When Alonso had enough, he decided one more season was enough.
      Hate to think what could be round the corner if we can't buy and can't compete.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #15: Jan 19, 2010 12:52:45 pm
      With these owners in charge we're more likely to get David Essex. 

He's free until June.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #16: Jan 19, 2010 12:55:40 pm
      Last time we were linked to Villa, wasn't the price quoted 40mill or something? Never happening.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #17: Jan 19, 2010 01:06:45 pm
      With these owners in charge we're more likely to get David Essex. 

He's free until June.
      :lmao:

you are afunny guy JD
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #18: Jan 19, 2010 01:07:18 pm
      I luv Nando, just wish the Board would get some balls and give Rafa 50 million, without having to sell first!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #19: Jan 19, 2010 01:08:02 pm
      There are 3 blokes I know who would die for the cause and that is Torres, Reina and Carra. I don't think it will lead to them leaving, but it could make them disheartened.

no gerrard? i know there are issues at mo but can you really question his commitment to the cause? 10 years of unsurpassed leadership and glory?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #20: Jan 19, 2010 01:09:57 pm
      no gerrard? i know there are issues at mo but can you really question his commitment to the cause? 10 years of unsurpassed leadership and glory?

In this point, i dont think Gerrard is someone who would stay if the club aren't moving forward.

I don't think he'll leave this window, but it is a possibility in the next window. His passion is almost too much for him to be content with 1 major honour.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,489 posts | 8675 
      Reply #21: Jan 19, 2010 01:20:05 pm
      In this point, i dont think Gerrard is someone who would stay if the club aren't moving forward.

I don't think he'll leave this window, but it is a possibility in the next window. His passion is almost too much for him to be content with 1 major honour.

He's won virtually every trophy there is to be won with Liverpool barring the league, that's more than one major honour!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #22: Jan 19, 2010 01:22:36 pm
      He's won virtually every trophy there is to be won with Liverpool barring the league, that's more than one major honour!

Er, i meant team honours and i meant major honours as in the Premier League and Champions League. Don't get me wrong, i love the FA Cup and would enjoy it if we won it every season just as much each time, but if your talking big players, your talking the domestic league and the continental title.

Quick Reply