Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Was Elvis Presley a Hack or "True" Musician?

Read 7702 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Was Elvis Presley a Hack or "True" Musician?
      Jan 19, 2010 11:10:22 pm

Firstly, I need to point out that I am biased in this debate.  I dont like Elvis or any of his so called "Songs".  But I figured I would leave it to the forum to categorize him as either an Celebrity or Musician/ Artist.  Basically can someone who never wrote or scored a song for his entire career, be considered a Legend of Rock and Roll.

I bring this up due to an article I read which had glamorized Elvis and his contribution to music of the 20th Century.

FACT:  For those who dont know.  Elvis had NEVER written or created a musical song.  NEVER.   That is a fact.  If you disagree, then just goggle it and research.
      Which means he never composed, wrote the Instrumentals or lyrics to any song credited to his personal Library.  This is not a made up fact or lie.  It is true.  Elvis NEVER wrote,performed or recorded a piece of music which he scored and wrote lyrics.

A few years back an Inventory of his estate was taken including a majority of personal writings and diary type writings.  Box's and box's or personal material destined for Graceland and museums was cataloged and researched, including daily calendars entries for his recording sessions and numerous items from his studio.  In the 100's of thousands of personal items and musical related items, not one piece of paper was produced showing an attempt at "original" lyrics, musical score or the writing of a song. 

Yes, Elvis is credited on multiple albums as "Writer". However, due to a contractual agreement with other musicians,  every song Elvis received a "Writing" credit was actually written and created by "Ghost" Writers and "session artists" working for the record label.  The Original writer(s), were given a percentage of royalties and money so Elvis could claim a dual or partial "Writting Credit" on his albums.  The other songs Elvis performed were original, blues tunes written by Blues musicians in and around the Southern US where Elvis was born and raised, Elvis was given permission to record and perform these songs from the original artists for a portion of the royalties.

Elvis did play his own Instruments, Guitar, Bass and Piano.  So for argument sake he could be considered an "Musician" but just a player of Instruments.  Elvis WAS a showman, he performed on stage as a musician and did break the barriers that transcended traditional Blues,Classical and Jazz to Rock and Roll. He had a great voice and singing style and was a fantastic "live" artist.  But he was not a true Musician.

The debate should be centered around his legacy and whether it is deserved or not. I really want to clarify.  Their is no debate about whether he "wrote" the songs. He didn't. If you disagree, bring facts and sources. Dont defend him and say I'm wrong he wrote all his music just because you like Elvis.

Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Re: Was Elvis Presley a Hack or "True" Musician?
      Reply #1: Jan 19, 2010 11:14:39 pm
      Not a patch on Johnny Cash. Like comparing ronaldo to John Barnes.

Never liked Elvis, and have no idea why anyone would. Did more posing than he did singing.

Interesting fact that though.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Jan 19, 2010 11:16:06 pm
      I didn't know that. Very interesting.

I know absolutely nothing about Elvis to be honest, nor do I particularly want to.

Probably seen as more of an 'icon' than a musician for whatever reason.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3: Jan 19, 2010 11:41:45 pm
      I did not realize anything about his writing, so thats interesting.

Look, i like Elvis. Not a crazy fan, and not a regular listener or anything, but i have some of his more popular stuff on my iPod. I think his legacy is deserved for some of the things he did. He broke the mould of the way things were in the 50's, with what was known back in the day as some damn risque moves. Whatever you think of him, he has been credited with the birth of Rock n' Roll in the main stream, and for that we all have him to thank. He made it known to all people, whether they were his songs or not, he got them out there in a way no one else could have. His personality and his moves and the way he performed as i said, broke the mould and created this movement that is now known as Rock music. I did an American history class last term and we studied the 50's America extensively, and there is no doubt that he was groundbreaking in snapping the traditions in America.

Saying that, i agree with everything said above. Johnny Cash for example is 10x better, and a lot of other musicians too. But what Elvis did as far as breaking into the mainstream this form of music, can not be ignored. And in the sense of a 'true' musician, if he didn't write the music then not really, but he could perform and play damn well, and that again can not be ignored.

Just watch this footage of him on the Ed Sullivan show in the 50's, this is why he was so popular. May seem like nothing now, but then that was F***ing controversial! No one had even ever moved like that on TV, and it created a lot of controversy. A majority of parents (well, ones who conformed to social ideal) at that time would have seen moving like that as bad as smoking pot or the like :D

Elvis Presley "Hound Dog" on The Ed Sullivan Show
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Jan 19, 2010 11:45:59 pm
      Wasn't Elvis also a paedophille, but he got away with it to some old law or something like that ?
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #5: Jan 20, 2010 01:41:25 am
      Wasn't Elvis also a pedophile, but he got away with it to some old law or something like that ?
      Well, Yes.  But not like a random, serial pedophile.  He was in his 20's when he met Priscilla who was 15-16. Technically he broke the law but back then and in the South it was not really a "crime".  It was actually common for older unmarried men to marry or date young women.  In the South back then it was acceptable for teenage girls to quit school at 12-15 yrs old, and were expected to get married and be a housewife.  Now its a crime and it doesn't happen like that anymore.

Jerry Lee Lewis also had issues with marrying an underage girl.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: Jan 20, 2010 09:50:18 am
      To be honest mate I didn't know the inside details about it, I just remembered reading something about many moons ago.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #7: Jan 20, 2010 09:56:24 am
      Personally i've often found Elvis' music and talent way over-rated. Maybe that's down to personal tastes but i've often thought the aura surrounding the man, the myth, was a bit like 'The Emperor's New Clothes' - not for me, i'm afraid.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: Jan 20, 2010 12:04:39 pm
      I reckon he's the face of other people's work. He had the moves and looks, and took credit for the work others put into his movies and songs.

And, he sounds like a rough dog.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Reply #9: Jan 20, 2010 12:12:10 pm
      Elvis nicked his dance moves and music from africam americans.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #10: Jan 21, 2010 05:34:21 am
      His music was nothing special. It was just retread old blues music turned into pop/rock songs. He just stole and lied his way to the top because he was new, good looking, and shook his hips. Which was "Shocking" at the time.  He had great stage presence, a great voice and drove the women crazy. Thats why he was popular, no other reason.

Fitting he died having an aneurysm while taking a dump on the toilet. :lmao:  Way to go "King".
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Jan 21, 2010 05:40:48 am
      Fitting he died having an aneurysm while taking a dump on the toilet. :lmao:  Way to go "King".

Best. Death. Ever.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #12: Jan 22, 2010 08:00:22 pm
      It was certainly tops on the list. But, David Carradines was a bizarre death.  They say he strangled himself accidentally while "rubbing one out" and wearing a womens dress.

So, that has to be a sh*t way to go too.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,250 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #13: Jan 22, 2010 11:03:58 pm
      I don't like him personaly but he had a talent
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #14: Jan 22, 2010 11:12:53 pm
      It was certainly tops on the list. But, David Carradines was a bizarre death.  They say he strangled himself accidentally while "rubbing one out" and wearing a womens dress.

Least he was happy. Though the strangling was F***ing weird.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #15: Jan 22, 2010 11:20:03 pm
      Hmmm never knew that.

But I will say that regardless of whether or not he actually created the music, he definitely made it his. The swagger, the voice, the moves, that has arguably made Elvis more of a legend than the music did.

I'm not actually a fan of Elvis but I can appreciate what he did for music. Personally I look at the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain as icons but in general I think Elvis has to be up there.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #16: Jan 22, 2010 11:25:11 pm
      I still say Johnny Cash is a million times better.

Here's Johnny Cash doing Elvis. Who needs Elvis? ;)

Johnny Cash does Elvis
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #17: Jan 22, 2010 11:39:25 pm
      While not a huge fan there are plenty of song writers who cant sing a note so what does that make them , and there are plenty of song writers who gladly appreciate performers such as elvis giving their material credance, one couldn,t do without the other,.
      One thing he did do was a lot for charity ,name another artist who gave away an entire concerts takings to charity.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #18: Jan 22, 2010 11:41:40 pm
      Alan Shearer.

EDIT: His testimonial raised 1.6 million which he gave to charity. Wasn't just the game though. He did all kinds to raise more! Should've stayed on the telly.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #19: Jan 23, 2010 03:17:34 am
      I still say Johnny Cash is a million times better.

Here's Johnny Cash doing Elvis. Who needs Elvis? ;)

Johnny Cash does Elvis
      Without a doubt..Johnny Cash was the original "Cool".  He had a swagger about him, bad as hell, drank like a fish, went to prison and came back and kicked some ass.  Wore black w/ black sunglasses. Before it was even a style.  He was what Elvis wanted to be. Plus he wrote music. So that already makes him better than Elvis.

I just think that to be considered a Icon of Music you had to create the music, not just the appearance. He was soulful, kind, a humanitarian and from what I have read and heard a good all around person. But, I cant put him in the same class as other great musicians like Johnny Cash, Beatles, John Lennon, Hendrix, Jim Morrison.

When you know the truth about his Elvis's "career", you almost feel cheated.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #20: Jan 23, 2010 05:32:16 am
      Elvis hacked my PC.
      YanksOutForGood
      • Forum David Johnson

• 215 posts | -1 
      Reply #21: Jan 26, 2010 11:33:56 pm
      Was in the local lfc pub the otherday and everyone was talking about him

( way before my time )

Saying he was the greatest musician and they were talking about where they were the day he died.

He was a good musician!

RIP
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #22: Jan 28, 2010 04:53:54 pm

You could add Michael Hutchence to that list too, he went in some asphyxiated sex game gone wrong kinda way. Least he'd have went with a smile on his face tho. :)

Quick Reply