Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Was Elvis Presley a Hack or "True" Musician?

Read 7701 times
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Re: Was Elvis Presley a Hack or "True" Musician?
      Reply #23: Feb 12, 2010 10:22:14 pm
      Firstly, I need to point out that I am biased in this debate.  I dont like Elvis or any of his so called "Songs".  But I figured I would leave it to the forum to categorize him as either an Celebrity or Musician/ Artist.  Basically can someone who never wrote or scored a song for his entire career, be considered a Legend of Rock and Roll.

I bring this up due to an article I read which had glamorized Elvis and his contribution to music of the 20th Century.

FACT:  For those who dont know.  Elvis had NEVER written or created a musical song.  NEVER.   That is a fact.  If you disagree, then just goggle it and research.
      Which means he never composed, wrote the Instrumentals or lyrics to any song credited to his personal Library.  This is not a made up fact or lie.  It is true.  Elvis NEVER wrote,performed or recorded a piece of music which he scored and wrote lyrics.

I am also biased about this but in the opposite direction. I LOVE Elvis and will repeat it to anyone !
      Now on the whole I agree with you that he received writing credits and royalties (or more to the point COL Tom Parker did !) Elvis was against this from the beginning and asked for it to be stopped as early as the end of the 50's.
      Col Tom Parker was a control freak and received 50 % of everything Elvis earned (which is why Parker demanded 50% of the writing credits to fatten his wallet even more !) He wouldn't allow him to tour Europe for 2 reasons.
      1. he was wanted in his native Holland for various crimes including murder and..
      2. he would have no control over releases and profits outside of the U.S.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

The above song WAS co-written by Elvis and Red West and Charlie Hodge.

Quick Reply