Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 11th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Kyrgiakos
      (16.7%)
      Kuyt
      (31.3%)
      Aquilani
      (26.8%)
      Carragher
      (12.6%)
      Mascherano
      (3.5%)
      Leiva
      (2.5%)
      Riera
      (4.5%)
      Somebody else
      (2%)

Liverpool 2-0 Spurs: Post Match Pleasure

Read 35125 times
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Spurs: Post Match Pleasure
      Reply #253: Jan 21, 2010 06:41:19 am
      A great 3 points earned.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #254: Jan 21, 2010 06:44:37 am
      As I said in the pre match topic, all I wanted was a commited performance. One we could be proud of regardless of the result.
      To win and to put in a performance with players who clearly felt passionate to give their all whilst wearing the mighty Red shirt is more than I could wish for.
      Carra was awesome. What leadership...hope stevie watched that closely.
      Not expecting us to go on an unbeaten run but pray to see the same level of passion from the boys.
      Well done rafa and YOUR team
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #255: Jan 21, 2010 07:13:08 am
      Well dont to Rafa and the boys,they played the Liverpool way-with passion.Every single player played with heart and we came out on top.MOTM for me was Carra,he gave his heart out and personally i think the captains armband should be given to him.He pumped up the players before the game and carried it though.Well done lad,already a legend.

YNWA
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #256: Jan 21, 2010 07:24:01 am
       It did my old heart good to see every one of our players play with pride and commitment to the RED shirt of L.F.C.It is a while since we have seen every player have the attitude we will win,but against Spurs it was there for everyone to see.I thought Aquilani had a great game and he was the link that has been missing,Kuyt did very well but I could imagine Torres scoring a bagfull with Aquilani feeding him.Once again Reina was brilliant for us but as I said every player deserves a pat on the back for a fantastic effort and performance.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #257: Jan 21, 2010 07:29:51 am
      Top top performance.

Frankly,Riera made the difference to this setup.His wing play was very useful.Degen was very lively in the first half and was often the furthest forward.Masch was brilliant,Lucas looked a little tired,but nevertheless good at breaking up play

Aquilani s deft passing and touches were a delight to watch.he was outmuscled sometimes,but with the ball and space,he looked really threatening.Carra was an absolute presence, His leadership led us to three points.Kyrgiakos and skrtel were really good,

Ngog-in the last 15 minutes,created havoc in the spurs defence.amazing cameo from him.Maxi got a couple of good touches,including the one-two leading to the penalty.
      The dirkmeister was brilliant,getting the two crucial goals.having created the number of chances that we did in the last 20 minutes,a 3-0 or 4-0 was definitely on.
      This is a massive result,and now,10 points from the last 4 games really means that we are up for it.wolves and bolton up next.games that we should win.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #258: Jan 21, 2010 07:49:29 am
      Agree about the Riera post. So looking forward to a riera and maxi double act on the wings. Stick aquilani with masch with license to roam and stevie behind nando and we have a very attacking forward line.
      Again, as said numerous times, it was fantastic to see carra performance.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #259: Jan 21, 2010 08:19:16 am
      I just caught the highlights from footytube.

Got to say we look real improved from the other games. We were threatening, Kuyt could have scored 4, Degen, Ngog, Riera and even Kyrgiakos could have gotten onto the scoresheet.

Even though it was 2-0 it was a very well-deserved win. Hope we build on this and carry on the momentum to Stoke.

Am well chuffed with the result, we closed a gap that could have extended to 7 points if we lost.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #260: Jan 21, 2010 08:22:58 am
      I think my prayers are being answered.  Well done all!!
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #261: Jan 21, 2010 08:36:44 am
      Fcuking delighted! I had to follow the match through everyones posts on here. Thank God for the win!
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #262: Jan 21, 2010 08:36:44 am
      Commitment from the players was first class last night.

The crowd was excellent for the whole match - well done to all of you on here that were their. The support for the players and Benitez was outstanding and was really pleasing to see and hear. Even tw*t Keys on Sky couldn't argue about it. Was also good to see a few banners in support of Rafa being shown on the TV as well.

Players that deserve special praise:

Kuyt - a tireless performance, deserved his 2 goals and was MOM for me.

Ngog - I'm not a big fan but his 15 minutes last night were excellent, he looked very lively and created some havoc. More of the same please but not as a starter.

Krygiakos - again was very commanding at the back, looks a bit flappy at times but overall couldn't be faulted.

Carragher - that's more like it, passion, grit and a bit of nastiness which we need more of.

Aquilani - the more he plays the more i like him, very aware and likes the ball. I still think playing a little further back would be better providing he has 2 men up front to play into it.

A great result.

sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 61 
      Reply #263: Jan 21, 2010 08:49:36 am
      Great win,the lads showed a lot of commitment,Kuyt took his goals really well,so could be a turning point for him to get some form back,chuffed for Carra he played like a man on a mission,we just have to keep it going now.
      apapaside
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #264: Jan 21, 2010 09:12:11 am
      Well done lads - thought Kyrgiakos really started to come into his own. Carra magnificent as usual - Let's keep it going.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,672 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #265: Jan 21, 2010 09:30:26 am
      Great result. Lets have some more of that. Thought Kyrgiakos and Skrtel scared the bejebus out of Crouch and Defoe.
      So much for the critics saying we use purely zonal marking. Im sure i saw Kyrgiakos walking around with Crouch in his pocket
      at set pieces. Boss. Oh and get in there Dirk Kuyt. Had him and Aquilani up front in my line up
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #266: Jan 21, 2010 09:44:11 am
      Incredibly proud of the lads and the fans, that's exactly the kind of performance we needed. 

I now pray this is the turning point for us. Upwards and onwards, Still buzzing. ;D

Let's F***ing tw*t Wolves!
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #267: Jan 21, 2010 10:15:59 am
      Well in lads and the boss, was really worried about this game and we stepped up and fecked them up!!!
      Feel a big relief, im sure Rafa does too!!!!
      predSJUUUUK
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts |
      Reply #268: Jan 21, 2010 10:57:44 am
      Great performance we are a big game team and I just wish we performed like that against the lesser teams and in fact all games!
      redcraig
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 172 posts | 14 
      Reply #269: Jan 21, 2010 10:58:39 am
      Some really positive signs last night. Sure, we can play better football but the commitment was fantastic.
      The big greek now gives us another option at the back against big strong strikers. I don't think we will see him against the likes of Rooney or Van Perise etc but in the last 2 games against Crouch and Sidibe he has been excellent.

Also good to see a glimpse of what Maxi can do. Terrific first time cushioned pass through to N'Gog for the pen.

I think N'Gog and Kuyt had been reading this forum before the match last night!!
      LFCexiled
      Reply #270: Jan 21, 2010 11:20:01 am
      Well done to all involved, truly the happiest i've been for a while. Heart, hunger and a need for victory at any cost. The Anfield crowd were back and it was amazin to hear so many voices again.

As for Sky's coverage i don't think i'll be alone in voicing how overwhelmingly negative it was to our situation. Every time we done anything good Mr Gray would find a negative. After Masch's tackle he made a point for the 5 Spurs tackles that followed of pointing out that Masch's was worse. I thought in the first half it was the Liverpool of old, hunting in packs, the second balls mine, just pure grit. Did Mr Gray notice this? Did he F**k, just rambled on about what bad things we'd done. The only positive after the first half was Gary McAllister did recognise our effort.

I've been off this site for a while partly because of no internet but mostly because i have absolutely no F***ing desire to watch Liverpool fans bitin chunks out of each other like rabid dogs. Negativity DOES breed negativity and given that the press have been totally negative to us since we lost our first match do we really need to add to it on here? An attack on Liverpool, be it the fans, the players, Rafa or the tea lady is an attack on every single one of us as an individual. The sooner the 'attackers' be it the press (Mctaggart) other fans, Managers, Pundits or what seems to be happening a lot more our own 'fans' get told to F**k off and leave US alone the better.

The easiest thing i've found to do is when you turn Sky Sports News on and a story about Liverpool comes on turn over, its your finger use it. If you get a paper and get to the back and you read a headline that says 'RAFAS OFF' or anything similair don't read it. In short if you can't be objective enough to censure the negativity in what they say or write the don't listen or read.

At the end of the day though what a f***in win!! Come on the lads!!

YNWA IRWT
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #271: Jan 21, 2010 11:26:02 am
      What I'd like to say most probably would have been mentioned many times before here already but I can't help saluting all the players for their commitment and passion, we were at no time intimidated by spurs throughout the game and I've got to admit that I was truly  worried how are we gonna deal with the fluid movement of Spurs, but hell we cope with that very well. We never allowed them to play football for most part of the game which threw them off their rhythm. The players need to play with the same commitment and consistency and I'm confident of exciting things ahead.

What was evident from the game was the side and back passes and dilly dallying tactics were not evident and we bulldozed from the back to the front, that's what we hope to see from now on. Yes for a change we have something like minimum 2. 3 and at times 4 players inside their box and we need to continue to do that if we want to score goals. With due respect to King Torr he can only do that much alone inside the box but he's not invisible and perhaps Rafa has finally realised that others will have to shoulder the responsibility  to score goals and that can only be achieved by deploying more men forward. It's also encouraging to see that even our defenders managed to get into good scoring positions and if they can only keep their composure and with a bit more accuracy  with their shooting I'm sure they'll win us games like what Sammi used to do with that odd goal.

As for Kuyt he's no natural winger and we all know that and finally Rafa deployed him where he's supposed to be.  He knows where to position himself inside the box and can be a real menace to the opposition defence if he wants to. Never mind of the few misses, he was not deployed inside the box for a long long time and he needs time to rediscover his scoring instinct. If he could score 2 in every game and miss a couple I'll be the happiest supported on earth. Well done Dirk.

I believe the opposition will find it difficult to play against us from now on as we've 5 regulars off and they just can't read our tactics unlike our stereotype tactics before.

I'm extremely happy with the performance and if we could play with the same passion and commitment from now on I'm sure eventually we'll be very near to the top. I just hope and pray that Rafa doesn't go on a reverse gear on the tactics from now on. As for the younger players they played their hearts out and if they continue to learn from their mistakes they can only improve. Lastly, well done lads and you've made all of us proud.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #272: Jan 21, 2010 11:26:47 am
      I see SSN are portraying the game as Tottenham being unlucky to get beat, dissecting the match and going through every controversial incident that went against them.  Funny, I don't remember them going through so much detail with the Lucas penalty shout last week.

Granted Kyrgiakos tugged Crouch's shirt and Defoe was probably unlucky to be given offside - I thought he fouled Reina anyway before he put the ball in the net. ;) But that still doesn't hide the fact that Spurs were sh*t and we were F***ing brilliant - could have been about 5-0.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #273: Jan 21, 2010 11:32:36 am
      Well SSN can say whatever they want, it's only after the fact of the matter. Let's win a few more games and see what else they have to say.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #274: Jan 21, 2010 11:39:05 am
      I see SSN are portraying the game as Tottenham being unlucky to get beat, dissecting the match and going through every controversial incident that went against them.  Funny, I don't remember them going through so much detail with the Lucas penalty shout last week.

Granted Kyrgiakos tugged Crouch's shirt and Defoe was probably unlucky to be given offside - I thought he fouled Reina anyway before he put the ball in the net. ;) But that still doesn't hide the fact that Spurs were sh*t and we were f**king brilliant - could have been about 5-0.

I noticed that myself but even though they qoute the offside rule verbatim they fail to highlight that 'if the player benefits from being offside' then its a break of that rule. If a goals not a benefit what is? If he hadn't been offside then the play would have been different. If he hasn't got the nouse as a forward to cling to the line with the pace he's got the i don't see why he should benefit. Sayin that the big greek lump should have took it to the line and knocked it up  ;D
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #275: Jan 21, 2010 12:16:33 pm
      We could have won 5-0 with a bit more luck. All the players were great, but our passing wasn't very good.

Quick Reply