Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Kyrgiakos
      (16.7%)
      Kuyt
      (31.3%)
      Aquilani
      (26.8%)
      Carragher
      (12.6%)
      Mascherano
      (3.5%)
      Leiva
      (2.5%)
      Riera
      (4.5%)
      Somebody else
      (2%)

Liverpool 2-0 Spurs: Post Match Pleasure

Read 34678 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Spurs: Post Match Pleasure
      Reply #299: Jan 21, 2010 04:29:34 pm
      Ask Yossi how he feels about being called a Yid it's regarded as a derogatory term for a Jew whereas Taffy is an affectionate term for a Welshman.
      They may sing songs with the word in it but songs are also heard about Munich,Hillsbrough and Heysel which are as offensive.

Stuey, this is a football forum, is it not? And the Spurs fans have been known as YIDS for years, long before i was born. The Spurs fans do not see it as racist, they adopted the name themselves. And seeing as i adopted the term in a footballing context then i fail to see how it can be deemed offensive. I suppose it depends on how a reader of the post would want to see it, or twist it.

Have a read of this - http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419872 - which then links to a further discussion in the footballing context of the term. As this was how i used the term, if anyone wishes to perceive that i used it purposely in a derogatory manner, then that is their problem, and not mine.

And as for saying the term Taffy is an affectionate term for a Welshman, what i meant to say was that i regularly get called a skinhead sheep shagging taffy c**t!  ;)

Anyway, back on topic, Carra's double hack on Palacios and Kranjcar will be the turning point of our season. Quality stuff from the psychopath!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #300: Jan 21, 2010 04:36:21 pm

what i meant to say was that i regularly get called a skinhead sheep shagging taffy c**t!  ;)

And they weren't wrong either mate. ;D
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #301: Jan 21, 2010 05:43:42 pm
      Loved the game yesterday, I work again today. Will post some pictures tomorrow, when the film comes back from the Chemist.

Loved it, just Loved it.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #302: Jan 21, 2010 06:03:25 pm
      Finding it hard to select the man of the match
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #303: Jan 21, 2010 06:11:50 pm
      Finding it hard to select the man of the match

I went for Carra myself I thought his two tackles on Palacios and Krancjar set the tone of the match and an example for everyone to follow, he was all over the pitch like a man possessed barking orders left right & centre a proper man of the match captains performance in my opinion.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #304: Jan 21, 2010 06:16:44 pm
      Agree about setting the tone for Carra but Sotis was boss Masch worked hard Kuyt with brace and the usual 2 Lucas and Pepe.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #305: Jan 21, 2010 07:12:34 pm
      Went for Lucas, from where i sat last night i could follow his every move, and he put a lot in last night a few dodgy passes yes but on the whole a vast improvement on the last time i watched him, and considering the sh*t the lad has had he is still battling on ,.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #306: Jan 21, 2010 08:06:12 pm
      Still buzzing after that win, more so because every c**t expected us to lose.

Now time to build on it and claim the title ;D
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #307: Jan 21, 2010 08:12:15 pm
      I think our midfield owned and is why we had control of the game and won.
      And of course add to that the fact that the greek fella owned in the air and we won the game :)
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #308: Jan 21, 2010 08:47:30 pm
      Awesome match. What impressed me most was our intensity and desire to win.
      Its the same as the Reading match, where they were the side under pressure, but showed us that they had the hunger to win.
      I always maintain that we can argue over the player signings, money, tactics...but one thing will remain; the team who plays with the most determination and desire will  win 99% of the time. We have proved it before against top sides when playing without our "star" performers...and again this time round!

Long may it continue...doesnt matter which LFC XI plays on the day, as long as they play with heart and determination.

YNWA
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #309: Jan 21, 2010 08:49:05 pm
      Still buzzing after that win, more so because every c**t expected us to lose.

Now time to build on it and claim the title ;D
      To right Billy. to bloody right. ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #310: Jan 21, 2010 08:50:21 pm
      Have to say I'm absolutely buzzing after that result what a performance from the lads.  That's what I expect everytime I watch them and it's been heartbreaking this season to see how scared everyone has been.

I wasn't looking forward to the last 15mins though but instead of caving in as we have been doing we turned it on and could and should have had another 3 goals.  Anyway onwards and upwards till May.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #311: Jan 21, 2010 08:54:14 pm
      after last nights performance i cant help but think that Kuyt would be better off upfront than young Ngog especially during these tough times. cant be easy for Ngog to play under this pressure especially when he is on his own.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #312: Jan 21, 2010 10:42:17 pm
      after last nights performance I cant help but think that Kuyt would be better off upfront than young Ngog especially during these tough times. cant be easy for Ngog to play under this pressure especially when he is on his own.

To be honest I was quite pleased with how Ngog played for the brief moments he was on last night. The thing about Ngog is he's just not really ready to be our second choice striker. We need somebody else to come in when Nando's injured to take the preassure and then only play Ngog when its not a preassure game. What a lot of people (especially mancs) tend to forget is that Ngog is young and that he is only showing promise of what he can become when he matures as a player. They expect that just because in our situation Ngog is our second choice striker that he should be instantly brilliant. However if you look at it on the scale of things this would be like mancs expecting Danny Wellbeck (who's only a year younger than Ngog) to come into the team and be a top scorer. The mancs will dismiss Ngog as sh*t, even though he's scored a number of goals this season including one against them!, and yet they will still continue to praise Wellbeck as one of their up and coming talents and say that we have none. What is the deal with that!?
      Sorry went off on one there!!
      Anyways for me last night I thought Riera was amazing possibly motm, Carra seemed to be regaining form, Kuyt missed a couple of sitters but I suppose you cant give out too much because of his work ratio and goals, Degen wasn't amazing in my book but i suppose he did provide help for Carra and Reina as always was a pillar of consistency!!
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #313: Jan 21, 2010 11:14:40 pm
      Great performance the hunger and passion that we expect and demand from the Redmen returned.Wasn't pretty at times, but if we carry on like that we won't just finish fourth , a top 3 position will await us.
      MOTM Carragher great to see him back to his best
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #314: Jan 21, 2010 11:24:47 pm
      I could only listen to the game on the radio. It was pulsating alright. You have to second guess exactly whats going on as yopu can't see it. Heart in the mouth stuff. It seemed all the lads put in a full shift and we bossed most of the match. Even when Spurs had a few good moments in possesion, they were always under pressure and had to move the ball quicker than they realy wanted. That broke up their rythme a bit and a lot more balls went sideways and backwards than usual for them. All down to our attitude. It seems the attitude was the only difference between last night, and the games against Reading  and Stoke. Some sorry looking Spurs players trudged off last night, knowing they were well beaten by the end. Even old Harry admitted they were made to look very poor on the night. Before I voted m.o.t. m. I got an eye witness account on my visions from the radio coverage, from my lad who was at the game. I  went for Sotis. Under the circumstances, to come into this side is a big load of pressure. He's not been in long and after a couple of nervy performances he was terrific last night. Two minor misshaps but generally solid, but when he pushed up for set peices, Spurs just couldn,t handle him, especially in the air. A comanding performance for a relative new comer. Can't realy think of any realt poor performances, Ngog, as a Ngog knocker. I eep saying he just hasn't gotr enough quality for Liverpool. Well when he came on last night, he brought a new dimention to the game. Credit where credit's due. We could have had three more goals after he came on and done the business. Well done lad. Keep mit up for 4 or 5 games and I could start to like you.  I did sat pre match, if Kuyyt got a game, he should be up front and hassle the Spurs defrnders like Rushie used to. And guess what ? F***ing brilliant performance. Needs to stay up there now. The overall shape and balance was good. what do they say? Don't mend it if it isn't broken! Treendous performance all round. Well made up. Need to keep going now for the next two matches. Confidence should be well up. Even though we didn't play scintilating football, we always seemed to be in control. Well 90 % of the time. and with an injury ravaged squad. Is it 8 1st team players injured?  And Spurs have aspirations of taking our place in the top  4. Give me a break....
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #315: Jan 21, 2010 11:30:34 pm
      To be honest I was quite pleased with how Ngog played for the brief moments he was on last night. The thing about Ngog is he's just not really ready to be our second choice striker. We need somebody else to come in when Nando's injured to take the preassure and then only play Ngog when its not a preassure game. What a lot of people (especially mancs) tend to forget is that Ngog is young and that he is only showing promise of what he can become when he matures as a player. They expect that just because in our situation Ngog is our second choice striker that he should be instantly brilliant. However if you look at it on the scale of things this would be like mancs expecting Danny Wellbeck (who's only a year younger than Ngog) to come into the team and be a top scorer. The mancs will dismiss Ngog as sh*t, even though he's scored a number of goals this season including one against them!, and yet they will still continue to praise Wellbeck as one of their up and coming talents and say that we have none. What is the deal with that!?
      Sorry went off on one there!!
      Anyways for me last night I thought Riera was amazing possibly motm, Carra seemed to be regaining form, Kuyt missed a couple of sitters but I suppose you cant give out too much because of his work ratio and goals, Degen wasn't amazing in my book but I suppose he did provide help for Carra and Reina as always was a pillar of consistency!!

was kind of my point as far as Ngog is concerned. he is a good sub and will be useful for matches here and there. he is young and probably will not prosper if too much pressure is on him. to be honest i doubt rafa had wanted to use him so much this season
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      Reply #316: Jan 22, 2010 08:29:08 am
      And they weren't wrong either mate. ;D

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #317: Jan 22, 2010 08:30:49 am
      With Nando out i'm expecting Dirk to play up front.

This 'move' could be the thing that rekindles that spark of confidence he's being lacking. I feel, strangely enough, that there may be less pressure on him to preform. As a striker all he has to think about is striking (i hope) and that may bring out the best in him.

I guess, you either know football or you don't.  :f_whistle:  ;D
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      Reply #318: Jan 22, 2010 08:41:16 am

Spot on. Kuyt revelled in his natural position and he looked so happy. If you're happy, you're confident. Let's just keep him off that right wing.
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #319: Jan 22, 2010 08:46:33 am
      Spot on. Kuyt revelled in his natural position and he looked so happy. If you're happy, you're confident. Let's just keep him off that right wing.

Not looking to stir up something here, but think back to when Rafa persisted with Kuyt upfront for the best part of 18-months, it was clear from then that scoring goals isn't his forte, running around alot is though.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #320: Jan 22, 2010 08:50:10 am

Or you just get lucky ;)
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      Reply #321: Jan 22, 2010 01:41:27 pm
      Not looking to stir up something here, but think back to when Rafa persisted with Kuyt upfront for the best part of 18-months, it was clear from then that scoring goals isn't his forte, running around alot is though.

What? Rafa persisting with something? Being stubborn? Surely not?  :D All I'm saying is this, it didn't work back then, but that's the past now. Wednesday, Kuyt came alive again, he felt as if he had a purpose again, he looked alive again. I could just see it in his eyes, his body language, he was absolutely buzzing! If the rumours about the crystal meth habit are false then I think it is quite safe to say that he was buzzing from playing in his natural position. I think he expected NGog to start and was given a nice surprise from the boss.

This is how I see it. Kuyt is a striker, so let's use him as a striker, because he certainly isn't, and never will be, a right winger. Ever. Same goes for Babel.

If we have no intention of utilising Kuyt or Babel in their natural positions, then what are they doing here?

Quick Reply