Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Kyrgiakos
      (16.7%)
      Kuyt
      (31.3%)
      Aquilani
      (26.8%)
      Carragher
      (12.6%)
      Mascherano
      (3.5%)
      Leiva
      (2.5%)
      Riera
      (4.5%)
      Somebody else
      (2%)

Liverpool 2-0 Spurs: Post Match Pleasure

Read 34680 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Spurs: Post Match Pleasure
      Reply #322: Jan 22, 2010 01:46:57 pm
      Thing is about Kuyt though, he should have at least scored a hat trick from open play. He had two glorious chances in front of goal and fu**ed them up didn't he. In the clinical sense, I think he'll always be inconsistent and I think in this game, it was highlighted again. He definitely played a lot better though I feel, so I agree with Bad Boy's point.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #323: Jan 22, 2010 01:56:45 pm
      Thing is about Kuyt though, he should have at least scored a hat trick from open play. He had two glorious chances in front of goal and fu**ed them up didn't he. In the clinical sense, I think he'll always be inconsistent and I think in this game, it was highlighted again. He definitely played a lot better though I feel, so I agree with Bad Boy's point.

Some people just want everything, all of the time  ;D The main thing was that his confidence levels were given a major boost, and that can only help Dirk, and more importantly, the team.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #324: Jan 22, 2010 02:01:17 pm
      Some people just want everything, all of the time  ;D The main thing was that his confidence levels were given a major boost, and that can only help Dirk, and more importantly, the team.

I'm a selfish c**t sometimes me mate.  ;D Yeah, I don't disagree he looked more confident and I think that helped him bang the re-taken pen in too. He came up with the goods at the end of the day. But, I he really should have done better in front of goal if we're being honest.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #325: Jan 22, 2010 03:05:48 pm

;D Aye, you're probably right biggy - lucky it is.  ;D

I was lucky enough to have reasoned that; a) most of Dirk's goals and assists last season came when he was standing in for an injured Torres, b) Dirk really is a striker by trade and c) he's a sh*te winger down in confidence because he knows he's a sh*te winger.

I BBB W T.    :angel:

flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #326: Jan 22, 2010 03:08:06 pm
      IMO a player needs to be able to play in as many positions as possible, if he can play in another position other than his natural one it only shows his skill and ability to adept.
      I think it's the same thing with players being able to use both legs.

Gerrard can play in multiple positions, so can Aquilani and Benayoun and Kuyt.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #327: Jan 22, 2010 03:12:15 pm
      IMO a player needs to be able to play in as many positions as possible, if he can play in another position other than his natural one it only shows his skill and ability to adept.
      I think it's the same thing with players being able to use both legs.

Gerrard can play in multiple positions, so can Aquilani and Benayoun and Kuyt.

Suppose then we'll only really know if Reina is quality if he plays well as a centre back when our injuries really get bad
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #328: Jan 22, 2010 04:17:53 pm
      What? Rafa persisting with something? Being stubborn? Surely not?  :D All I'm saying is this, it didn't work back then, but that's the past now. Wednesday, Kuyt came alive again, he felt as if he had a purpose again, he looked alive again. I could just see it in his eyes, his body language, he was absolutely buzzing! If the rumours about the crystal meth habit are false then I think it is quite safe to say that he was buzzing from playing in his natural position. I think he expected NGog to start and was given a nice surprise from the boss.

This is how I see it. Kuyt is a striker, so let's use him as a striker, because he certainly isn't, and never will be, a right winger. Ever. Same goes for Babel.

If we have no intention of utilising Kuyt or Babel in their natural positions, then what are they doing here?

I think Kuyt was a flop for us when Rafa did persist with him for so long uptop and TBH I wouldn't really know what his natural position is. Doesn't he now play on the right side of midfield for Holland? Personally I wouldn't go back to playing Kuyt upfront because he is too unselfish to play as a striker. Most of his contributions when playing as a striker came outside the 18 yard box, the fella was never in the box to get on the end of something. He was usually running around like a headless chicken elsewhere on the field.

Maybe if he was paired up with someone, but the pressure I think gets to him and he goes into 'industry mode' chasing and harrying down balls all over the pitch. I think when Rafa moved him to the right hand side of our attack, I think it took a lot of pressure off of Dirk to score goals for us and for a good long while the Dutchman did a good job out there I thought.

Granted he took both his goals very well against Spurs and the lad honestly surprised me with that finnish, but during the course of the game when Spurs pinned us back. He was unable to make the ball stick up top because he isn't the best at controlling the thing and there was no point in trying to slide a ball in behind their defence because the bloke doesn't have the pace to exploit the high line Spurs played.

For me though his lack of movement inside the box and the fact he isn't a clinical, selfish striker leads me to think he's better suited to the wing, where the pressure on finding the onion bag isn't the burden it appeared to be before for him in the strikers role.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #329: Jan 23, 2010 04:14:14 pm
      I think Kuyt was a flop for us when Rafa did persist with him for so long uptop and TBH I wouldn't really know what his natural position is. Doesn't he now play on the right side of midfield for Holland? Personally I wouldn't go back to playing Kuyt upfront because he is too unselfish to play as a striker. Most of his contributions when playing as a striker came outside the 18 yard box, the fella was never in the box to get on the end of something. He was usually running around like a headless chicken elsewhere on the field.

Maybe if he was paired up with someone, but the pressure I think gets to him and he goes into 'industry mode' chasing and harrying down balls all over the pitch. I think when Rafa moved him to the right hand side of our attack, I think it took a lot of pressure off of Dirk to score goals for us and for a good long while the Dutchman did a good job out there I thought.

Granted he took both his goals very well against Spurs and the lad honestly surprised me with that finnish, but during the course of the game when Spurs pinned us back. He o could play in multiple positionwas unable to make the ball stick up top because he isn't the best at controlling the thing and there was no point in trying to slide a ball in behind their defence because the bloke doesn't have the pace to exploit the high line Spurs played.

For me though his lack of movement inside the box and the fact he isn't a clinical, selfish striker leads me to think he's better suited to the wing, where the pressure on finding the onion bag isn't the burden it appeared to be before for him in the strikers role.

Good points you make, but i think we could write a book on the possible causes of Kuyt's problems. The arrival of Torres knocked his confidence, being forced out onto the wing by Benitez, trying to alter your natural instincts, being switched about and various other possibilities. I think it's a combination of multiple variables, a very confusing situation.

What's in the past is in the past and should stay there. I'm just trying to take the positives out of Kuyt's performance, and let's be honest here, there haven't been many to take this season. Hopefully Kuyt can kick on from this performance against Spurs and score a couple more against Wolves on Tuesday night. Redkenny made a point that Kuyt should have scored a couple more against Spurs, and he was right, but given Kuyt's mental state, i can forgive him for that. The fact that we took the three points made the misses easier to stomach.

Also i'd like to reply to a post made by flafson, yes mate, it would be great to have numerous players who could play in various positions, but there's an old saying mate, 'Jack of all trades, master of none'. I'm a plumber by trade, so it's like someone hiring me and asking me to rewire their house. I could count on one hand the number of players in Europe who could play in multiple positions, and more importantly, play very well in all positions. Players like Gerrard, Messi, Kaka and Ronaldo. Players like these cost an absolute fortune, and money is something we don't have.

I never expected Kuyt to cut it as a winger, despite his exceptional season of last, because he is a striker. To expect him to be of equal ability on the wing is just wishful thinking.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #330: Jan 23, 2010 04:55:29 pm
      I'm a selfish c**t sometimes me mate.  ;D Yeah, I don't disagree he looked more confident and I think that helped him bang the re-taken pen in too. He came up with the goods at the end of the day. But, I he really should have done better in front of goal if we're being honest.

Awe (groan) I totally agree with yer Kenny lad.

Quick Reply