Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Sebastian Leto Player Thread

Read 43858 times
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Re: Sebastian Leto (Olympiakos)
      Reply #23: Jul 16, 2008 04:46:13 pm

no he not the best  ::)

If he was we wouldn't even consider selling him.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #24: Jul 16, 2008 08:41:25 pm
      Had a great game today, i think some will be eating their words.

Actually, to force your way into the first team so early in your career at Liverpool does say something doesnt it for a youngster? He isn't all bad you know ;)
      AggerDoo
      Reply #25: Jul 16, 2008 09:56:50 pm
      BENITEZ WELCOMES RETURN OF LETO
      Steve Hunter in Grenchen 16 July 2008

Rafael Benitez welcomed the return of Sebastian Leto after the Argentine winger enjoyed an impressive run-out during the 2-1 win over FC Lucerne in Grenchen. 
      The left winger, who was signed by Benitez from Club Atletico Lanus, gave an exciting performance during the 55 minutes that he was on the pitch.

Andriy Voronin scored a brilliant winner for Rafael Benitez's side after Mario Gavranovic had equalised Lucas' opener.

Due to work permit problems Leto last played a competitive match for the reserves against Middlesbrough on December 10, 2008, and the Reds boss is now hoping to have the winger available for selection in his squad this season.

"Leto is a good player and he showed tonight the quality that he has," said Benitez. "He has had some problems with his work permit but hopefully that will be okay because has a lot of quality.

"We are waiting to hear when that permit will come through and we should find that out in the next 10 days.

"I thought there were a lot of positives to take for us from this game. The idea was to continue improving the fitness level of the players. It was a good game with a lot of opportunities and like many times last season I could see another game when their goalkeeper was man of the match.

Mixed Reports then if Rafa is happy to see him then why would he sell him.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #26: Jul 16, 2008 10:54:53 pm
      I think he's a very good young player personally. Only 21 and he isnt afraid to take on defenders, as i said in the other thread once his final ball improves he will be great. OIympiakos, stop trying to get our players, neither Lucas or Leto will join you.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #27: Jul 16, 2008 11:10:33 pm
      I think he's a very good young player personally. Only 21 and he isnt afraid to take on defenders, as I said in the other thread once his final ball improves he will be great. OIympiakos, stop trying to get our players, neither Lucas or Leto will join you.

Totally agree.

I reckon once he sorts that final ball out (which can be worked on) and his confidence, he'll be a very good winger. He has that valuable natural instinct in him to go and attack. I've seen it loads of times for the reserves.

As for unsourced reports we're in talks to sell him, I find that very hard to believe. We put all the graft in for his work permit only to sell him on?

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #28: Jul 16, 2008 11:54:45 pm
      I only saw a bit of the game tonight but when he had the ball he was getting at defenders and taking them on, just needs to work on the final ball and he could well become a very good player for us in the future
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #29: Jul 17, 2008 12:32:14 am
      I think he's a very good young player personally. Only 21 and he isnt afraid to take on defenders, as i said in the other thread once his final ball improves he will be great. OIympiakos, stop trying to get our players, neither Lucas or Leto will join you.

I always thought he was a good little player who is always going to improve. 

What's the point in bringing these young players in if we sell them on the next season on?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,674 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #30: Jul 17, 2008 07:27:07 am
      I saw the game and I thought he was our best player during the time he was on the pitch. I'd nearly forgotten about him but it was a nice surprise seeing him taking on defenders up the left wing. You're right though, sort out that final ball and we could have a handy back up for whoever we buy ??? for that left wing position.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #31: Jul 17, 2008 08:08:16 am
      Agree with whats being said. He's a great player, he could grow into something big under Rafa who has faith in him. If he puts those kinds of performances in consistently (which he has for the reserves) then he wont be going anywhere anytime soon.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #32: Jul 17, 2008 11:00:29 am
      Totally agree.

I reckon once he sorts that final ball out (which can be worked on) and his confidence, he'll be a very good winger. He has that valuable natural instinct in him to go and attack. I've seen it loads of times for the reserves.

As for unsourced reports we're in talks to sell him, I find that very hard to believe. We put all the graft in for his work permit only to sell him on?

I always thought he was a good little player who is always going to improve. 

What's the point in bringing these young players in if we sell them on the next season on?

Exactly, very good young player i think he just needs to work on the crosses and drive into the box at times when he's left his marker aswell but he does look like he has the ability, i like the way he draws his marker in to where he wants them to be then takes them on. Kind of like El Zhar but their styles differ a little. Leto can definately make it i think, rafa will make a good player of him. Although Pennant isnt the best player i think he could maybe help him with his crossing.
      thekopster
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | -5 
      Reply #33: Jul 17, 2008 02:16:26 pm
      i think he would be better if he got  BLOODY HAIRCUT ;D
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #34: Jul 17, 2008 05:09:20 pm
      Admittedly I've only seen him a 2 times in reserves and more recently yesterday but i honestly believe with a bit more pace he is potentially world class... I like a few others have complained in the past about our lack of flair (beat a man) type players.. he is most definitely one..
      martyspud
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #35: Jul 17, 2008 07:30:40 pm
      is it just me r does pacheco play and look extremely like luis garcia???
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #36: Jul 18, 2008 12:29:21 am
      is it just me r does pacheco play and look extremely like luis garcia???

could explain why he went to chip it over the keeper when he had a very good chance in the 1st half :D
      martyspud
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #37: Jul 18, 2008 02:52:19 am
      could explain why he went to chip it over the keeper when he had a very good chance in the 1st half :D

he rolls around like garcia too!!!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Re: Sebastian Leto
      Reply #38: Jul 24, 2008 03:52:46 pm
      Leto set for Greek move
      Reds winger happy with loan switch

Liverpool winger Sebastian Leto has confirmed he is close to agreeing a loan move to Olympiakos.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez has informed Leto he is willing to loan him out as he is well down the pecking order at Anfield.

Leto's stay at Liverpool has been placed in doubt because of a passport fiasco.

The Argentine currently holds an Italian passport to enable him to win a work permit, but Italian authorities are thought to be carrying out an investigation on the validity of a number of citizenship decisions.

The 21-year-old has revealed he has spoken to Olympiakos manager Ernesto Valverde and he admits he would be interested in a move to Greece.

"I spoke with the people of the club [liverpool] and our decision is to leave the club and to play somewhere else on loan for one season," Leto told Greek daily SportDay. "I have to play football next season.

"My agents are in Athens. They speak with Olympiakos for my loan.

"Their manager, Ernesto Valverde called me. He told me that he is really interested in having me at his team. He told me about his thoughts and everything. For me its really important to have a manager who speaks my language.

"I spoke with some friends who know everything about Olympiakos and they told me that this is the biggest club in Greece, that they always win the championship and they always play Champions League football.

"I heard a lot also about the fans of Olympiakos. I know also that Galletti, Ledesma and Belluschi are players of Olympiakos and they are really good, they are players of national team level.

"I have some offers from Italy and Spain but Olympiakos is the best club for me at the moment."

Leto has been assured he has a long-term future at Liverpool by Benitez and he is just hoping to have his passport problems resolved so that he can move to Greece.

He added: "I am still waiting for the community passport. Liverpool will wait for it until 31st of July.

"Of course, my dream is to play football here in Liverpool.

"I spoke with Rafa Benitez and he told me that he wants me but I can't stay without the passport.

"He advised me to go somewhere else to play for one season and to return next summer. He is right."

------------------------------------------------------

Should work out well for us, he can gain first team experience and when he returns will be a better player and there will be no more passport issues. Shall be watching him closely to see how he does there, hope he does well looks like a good player just needs to add a few things to his game.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #39: Jul 24, 2008 09:45:40 pm
      It will do him good playing a season of regular football and hopefully he will come back and be able to fight for a place and have no passprt issues
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #40: Jul 25, 2008 12:47:37 am
      Hopefully it will do his confidence the world of good. He looks decent when running with the ball but his passing and involvement in the game goes missing when he's not playing for the reserves.

If he hasn't improved by the time he comes back, I think he'll be on his way to be honest.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #41: Jul 25, 2008 01:04:01 am
      i think we should send paint the roads in the himalayers.... thats how good he is,
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,675 posts | 3696 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #42: Aug 04, 2008 09:42:44 am
      RAFA FRUSTRATION AS LETO PERMIT DENIED
      Jimmy Rice 04 August 2008 from lfc.tv

Rafa Benitez has spoken of his disappointment after Sebastian Leto was refused a work permit to play in England next season.
      The Argentine winger is now set for a loan move after the Department of Work and Pensions refused Liverpool's application.

Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I am disappointed and it was a surprise because this is a player who has played in the Champions League and been in the Argentina squad for the Olympic Games. You have managers talking about how good he is, so I think the system needs to change.

"Now we have to look for a solution, maybe find a team for him on loan, but we have maybe eight or 10 teams in Spain, Italy and Greece asking about him. When you have eight or 10 teams asking about a player and he's not playing, it means that he is good.

"But maybe there is another vision of football."

Despite the decision, Benitez is confident fans will see the 21-year-old in a Liverpool shirt again.

"He has a long contract, and I think he can impress and next year will be a different situation," said the Anfield boss.

"Hopefully in the future, if he's playing in the Champions League, maybe someone will say, 'Oh, we made a mistake'.

"At the end of the day, we are talking about the future of a player and I don't think that is fair."

This is a bad news for us 'cos if we don't buy a left winger and babel get injured we will not have a proper replacement in that side. F**k the officials that consider the papers.
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #43: Aug 04, 2008 10:41:41 am
      http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/08/04/manual_094552.html&TEAMHD=soccer

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has been left frustrated after Argentinian winger Sebastian Leto was refused a work permit for the new season.

The British Government has turned down Leto's application and the 21-year-old is now set to leave Anfield on loan, with Olympiakos a likely destination.

Leto made four appearances for the Reds last term while on an Italian passport but that was later revoked by the Italian Government, which is now subject to an appeal.

Liverpool, therefore, applied for a work permit with Benitez insisting he will select Leto, who has failed to impress since arriving from Atletico Lanus in July 2007, on a more regular basis in the new campaign.

But having been refused, Benitez believes the process for awarding work permits needs to be addressed, telling the Daily Express: "The system needs to change, clearly.

"I cannot understand how an Argentine player who has been in pre-selection for the Olympic squad and has played in the Champions League and at a club like Liverpool is not good enough.

"Now we need to find a solution for him and find a good team. Maybe in the future when he is playing Champions League someone will say, 'we made a mistake'."

________________________ ________________________ ___________________

Irritating for us and Leto, but on the other hand, could this mean we step up our efforts to sign a winger? If Rafa was planning to use him more this season, then he might have been reluctant to buy a new winger before he knew whether Leto got the work permit or not.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #44: Aug 04, 2008 10:14:27 pm
      I dont get why he is'nt allowed a permit, zarate came from some club I have never even heard of but he was still allowed to play
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,675 posts | 3696 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #45: Aug 04, 2008 10:27:49 pm
      I dont get why he is'nt allowed a permit
      'cos he is playing for liverpool, if he was playing for manure he will have his permit.

Quick Reply