Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Sebastian Leto Player Thread

Read 43873 times
      lfcgaz
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Re: Sebastian Leto Thread
      Reply #69: Dec 30, 2008 08:41:33 pm
      http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bIG09mtc9CE : pretty good goal but not as good as rieras v psv !
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #70: Dec 30, 2008 08:45:31 pm
      I would say better than average ,good to see him doing well.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #71: Dec 30, 2008 10:16:03 pm
      I like him, good back up option. As for his goal, a great goal indeed but no way would he be allowed to do that in the Prem. Poor defending and the keeper well beaten at his near post.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #72: Dec 30, 2008 10:38:14 pm
      Going out on loan may work out for the greater good as when he returns (providing he gets his work permit) we may have a trophy or two under the belt and with a stronger squad in place which in turn will help him settle much quicker but most are right in one thing he will not get so much room here to work his magic....
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #73: Dec 30, 2008 10:40:03 pm
      By the time he returns Adam Hammill may of already sewn up the position behind Riera (depending both are still at the club come the start of 2010/11 season).

It's still good to see Leto doing well in Greece, no matter how strong/weak the Greek league is you can only beat what's in front of you.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #74: Dec 30, 2008 10:50:11 pm
      Wasn't it a one year loan as mentioned previously in ths thread?

That means he's back for the 2009-10 season (if he comes back).
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #75: Dec 30, 2008 11:08:40 pm
      Wasn't it a one year loan as mentioned previously in ths thread?

That means he's back for the 2009-10 season (if he comes back).

2 years wasn't it?

As DLS says, by the time he comes back, Hammil could be higher in the pecking order. A lot of 'ideas' can change in two years. I find two year loans don't stand for much if a player is intended to push on into the first team.

If he's improving in Greece though, that's still good to hear. I liked him when he played for the reserves. He just couldn't hack it in the big time. If he comes back with a much stronger mentality and better ball control, then it's only us who are going to benefit.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #76: Dec 30, 2008 11:14:43 pm
      redkenny this was my quote.

Its been confirmed as one year. I thought he wouldnt be coming back if it was 2 years aswell but...

LETO SIGNS ONE YEAR OLYMPIACOS DEAL

Liverpool have confirmed Sebastian Leto has signed a loan deal with Greek outfit Olympiacos for the coming campaign.
      The 21-year old midfielder had his work permit application refused last week, meaning the Reds have been left with no option but to loan him out.

Contrary to reports yesterday suggesting a two year contract had been agreed, Leto's contract with Olympiacos runs until June 30, 2009 - meaning it is effectively a one season deal.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #77: Dec 30, 2008 11:20:15 pm

You're right mate. I was asking and not telling though.  ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #78: Dec 30, 2008 11:23:23 pm
      So he's back at the start of next season?

One thing that may help Leto is Insua being the permanant left back. Maybe a fellow Argentine behind him will give him extra confidence, also help him with the language and all the rest of it. Small things like that sometimes have an effect on players.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #79: Dec 30, 2008 11:30:16 pm
      Either he's gained a yard or all greeks are slow....
      MsGerrard
      Reply #80: Dec 30, 2008 11:46:55 pm
      To be honest I don't rate him, the bit I saw of him, which wasn't that much...............would like him to prove me wrong though.

More than willing to see what he can do when he gets back though.

A bit lightweight for my liking.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #81: Dec 30, 2008 11:49:51 pm
      i'm still unsure of him myself, although admittedly i haven't seen much of him since he went to greece.

still like to see him do well though, if anything else, his popularity and value will rise if we do decide to off-load him.  harsh but true!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #82: Dec 31, 2008 02:28:25 am
      I was reading a few comments on the greeksoccer forum to see what some of the supporters who see him week in and week out and what I got from them wasn't very well. A lot of comments about how lazy and how selfish he is playing but he has had his moments of glory and hey he could be part of a side who will be winning a title at the end of the season.

As far as his future for Liverpool, I don't see how Leto is going to get a permit because he played a season in Greece, a league which is a lower 2nd tier in Europe and he isn't ripping it apart. Also the fact we have Riera, Babel, El Zhar and Hammill who can all play there it really looks like he is simply trying to earn him-self a new place in a new team.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #83: Jan 01, 2009 07:52:36 pm
      Leto set for Liverpool return after loan period ends
      02.01.09 | Ian Ferris from a sh*t-website http://aloadofw**k.com/leto-set-liverpool-return-after-loan-period-ends-219674

Sebastien Leto could return to Liverpool in the near future after he refused to commit his long-term future to Greek outfit Olympiacos.

The 22-year-old winger signed a two-year arrangement with the Greek club, but recently said, "we’ll wait until June to see what happens," when asked about his future.

I never seen him therefore I will not comment. My only comment is he is willing to play for us.
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #84: Jan 02, 2009 06:07:24 am
      Leto set for Liverpool return after loan period ends
      02.01.09 | Ian Ferris from a sh*t-website http://aloadofw**k.com/leto-set-liverpool-return-after-loan-period-ends-219674

Sebastien Leto could return to Liverpool in the near future after he refused to commit his long-term future to Greek outfit Olympiacos.

The 22-year-old winger signed a two-year arrangement with the Greek club, but recently said, "we’ll wait until June to see what happens," when asked about his future.

I never seen him therefore I will not comment. My only comment is he is willing to play for us.

A lot of people are willing to play for us - but that doesn't mean we'll just hand them the Red jersey. ;D
      Haven't seen much of this lad as well but we do have backup on the left wing - so he should do himself a favour and stay in Greece or move to another club where he is really needed.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #85: Jan 02, 2009 06:23:23 am
      Who know what he can achieve and who knows why Rafa wanted him here but he did and with Rafa's guidance we may see then but until then it's all speculation. He scored a great goal the other week in Greece and although he's not known as a goal scorer one or two here and there don't go amiss and Rafa I think would have wanted him here this season if only to get him playing the Liverpool way. Lets hope he gets his work permit this time around.....
      ManCityOlympiakos
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Re: Sebastian Leto - Player Thread
      Reply #86: Jan 29, 2009 04:49:16 pm
      Hi guys,

I think an update on how Leto is playing is due.

It's true, the guy was lazy initially and extremely selfish (the saying in greece is, "he wouldn't even pass from one foot to the other". I think this was because he expected to play CL football, but the team unexpectedly crashed out in the qualifier. Rumors were that he was disappointed with this (not sure it was true). His form led to Ernesto Valverde using veteran captain Predrag Djordjevic (he is now 37!) in the left wing, with Leto coming on in the 60th minute or so (since Djordjevic doesn't have the fitness levels anymore)

Today, I'm happy to say it's a totally different story. The guy has TRANSFORMED his game. He is absolutely amazing at times. He plays his heart out, and his footwork and skill are ...ridiculous (in a gooooood way!). He still gives into the temptation of trying to dribble past every opposing player, but it is rare now, and he sometimes makes 2 or 3 defenders look like CLOWNS. He opens up so much space for Diogo, Belluschi and Galletti, and the four of them have formed a formidable forward line. His assists have helped immensely and Olympiakos are playing very attractive football now.

Leto's only serious weakness is that he tires out after 70 minutes, and is normally replaced by Djordjevic at that point.

Seriously, I hope he stays AT LEAST another year. He will definitely play in the CL next year, and could attract many big teams. I think his value will be too high for a club like Olympiakos  >:( He is a joy to watch and a fan favorite. Keep on eye on him guys, you may be surprised by what he can do.

(Uunfortunately, the videos I've seen on youtube don't do justice to his game right now... After all, he has only scored a few goals.)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #87: Jan 29, 2009 04:53:47 pm
      Good to hear that, it will be interesting to see if he's kept at Liverpool as a back up to Riera or whether he will be sold or loaned out once he finishes his time there.
      kaywarz
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts | -2 
      Reply #88: Jan 29, 2009 05:00:04 pm
      with gerrard,xabi,mascherano on the lineup,all young midfielder for liverpool will never get chance

i pity at lucas and leto
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #89: Jan 29, 2009 05:39:42 pm
      with gerrard,xabi,mascherano on the lineup,all young midfielder for liverpool will never get chance

i pity at lucas and leto

You know Leto is in Greece, right? :-\

Anywho, that sounds good about Leto - but I still think he'll be second to Riera, who is our star of the show most of the time.

I've really taken a liking to old Alby, but competition will do him no harm!
      ManCityOlympiakos
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #90: Jan 29, 2009 06:24:12 pm
      Let me add one thing- Of course it goes without saying that a player who makes it at Olympiakos doesn't mean he will make it in the premiership (but I guess most of you already knew that  :P).

You are probably right about Riera being first choice. Leto hasn't proved himself at the premiership level yet. It's a totally different game there.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #91: Jan 30, 2009 01:50:21 am
      Very good to hear, although I believe he is there for another year.

Many thanks for the update.  The last time I saw him for Liverpool I thought he looked very lightweight, so hopefully he has beefed up on all those kebabs.

Cheers.

Quick Reply