Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Sebastian Leto Player Thread

Read 43883 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Re: Sebastian Leto - Player Thread
      Reply #92: Jan 30, 2009 01:54:06 am
      I think with Hammill impressing during various loan spells and being given the new contract till 2011, Leto's future at Anfield doesn't look all that bright. Good to see he's doing well in Greece though, can only help him.
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #93: Jan 30, 2009 11:36:54 am
      He looked very good in pre-season for us, but his final ball was lacking.

Greek football isn't like the Premiership, but it's another year to learn English (while he's there) and get used to European football.

He reminds me of a younger Riera - a player who was a flop in England at a similar age but who has now shown his class.
      Zykiel
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts |
      Reply #94: Jan 31, 2009 07:25:47 am
      Pacheco and Nemeth FTW
      ManCityOlympiakos
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #95: Feb 22, 2009 08:55:51 am
      Another update... Not so great this time, I'm afraid.  :(

His form had dipped in the last games since I posted and was also injured for a game or two. The worst thing about him is that he is at loggerheads with the manager (Ernesto Valverde). In one very recent game he was clearly upset that he was taken off well into the second half (60-70th minute, as usual) and even kicked a bottle of water at the bench (camera caught everything, so it was given some publicity even if this kind of sh*t happens).

He was left out of the squad for the last game Olympiakos played due to injury (37 year old, over-the-hill captain Djordjevic played instead). However, it turns out he wanted to play anyway, even with a bad ankle. In yesterday's training the manager noticed him being indifferent and not trying hard. When he confronted him, Leto answered (sarcastically?) that he was "in pain" (I.e. mocking the fact that he missed the previous game). He was kicked out of the training and taken off the squad for the next league game.

Personally I think this sucks big time, but I understand that you cannot act like a kid when you're a pro footballer. This is NOT the way a Liverpool player would act and he has NO future at Anfield if he doesn't grow up. If he plays crap for a couple of games, how can he expect to be selected all the time (even in a team that badly needs him)? Liverpool have many (perhaps better) options at left wing and he will regularly warm the bench, even when injury-free. Is he going to demand he plays every game for LFC?

Edit: I was just reading an article on Valverde's issues with Leto- It turns out he did the same thing to Riera when he was managing Espanyol! Riera was pissed off after being taken off at halftime, so Valverde benched him quite a bit after that. Apparently he left him out of the starting eleven in a game against Barcelona, when a Liverpool scout was in the stands! Well, Riera turned out ok for Liverpool :P
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #96: Feb 22, 2009 09:19:10 am
      Another update... Not so great this time, I'm afraid.  :(

His form had dipped in the last games since I posted and was also injured for a game or two. The worst thing about him is that he is at loggerheads with the manager (Ernesto Valverde). In one very recent game he was clearly upset that he was taken off well into the second half (60-70th minute, as usual) and even kicked a bottle of water at the bench (camera caught everything, so it was given some publicity even if this kind of sh*t happens).

He was left out of the squad for the last game Olympiakos played due to injury (37 year old, over-the-hill captain Djordjevic played instead). However, it turns out he wanted to play anyway, even with a bad ankle. In yesterday's training the manager noticed him being indifferent and not trying hard. When he confronted him, Leto answered (sarcastically?) that he was "in pain" (I.e. mocking the fact that he missed the previous game). He was kicked out of the training and taken off the squad for the next league game.

Personally I think this sucks big time, but I understand that you cannot act like a kid when you're a pro footballer. This is NOT the way a Liverpool player would act and he has NO future at Anfield if he doesn't grow up. If he plays crap for a couple of games, how can he expect to be selected all the time (even in a team that badly needs him)? Liverpool have many (perhaps better) options at left wing and he will regularly warm the bench, even when injury-free. Is he going to demand he plays every game for LFC?

Edit: I was just reading an article on Valverde's issues with Leto- It turns out he did the same thing to Riera when he was managing Espanyol! Riera was pissed off after being taken off at halftime, so Valverde benched him quite a bit after that. Apparently he left him out of the starting eleven in a game against Barcelona, when a Liverpool scout was in the stands! Well, Riera turned out ok for Liverpool :P

Thanks for the update - it's good to get information from someone closely following a team. ;)

Not sure what to say about his behaviour... interesting comparison with Riera, although one would hope that Riera has matured a bit by now and has put that kind of attitude behind him. Leto's 22 I think, so whilst he's younger, he should be getting out of the "dummy-spitting" phase.

What's clear is that Rafa wouldn't put up with that either. He didn't hesitate to bench Keane, a player the club paid a large fee for, and he would have reacted in a similar manner to the Olympiakos manager I think.

If he were demanding to play every game for Liverpool I don't think he'd last long - Rafa is quick to switch an off-form player, regardless of what this player says about it. Agger, Babel and Benayoun have all spoken out this season about the amount of game time they get, but it hasn't changed anything.
      ManCityOlympiakos
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #97: Feb 22, 2009 01:10:20 pm
      Thanks for the update - it's good to get information from someone closely following a team. ;)

Not sure what to say about his behaviour... interesting comparison with Riera, although one would hope that Riera has matured a bit by now and has put that kind of attitude behind him. Leto's 22 I think, so whilst he's younger, he should be getting out of the "dummy-spitting" phase.

What's clear is that Rafa wouldn't put up with that either. He didn't hesitate to bench Keane, a player the club paid a large fee for, and he would have reacted in a similar manner to the Olympiakos manager I think.

If he were demanding to play every game for Liverpool I don't think he'd last long - Rafa is quick to switch an off-form player, regardless of what this player says about it. Agger, Babel and Benayoun have all spoken out this season about the amount of game time they get, but it hasn't changed anything.

It may be that Leto realizes he is an asset to Olympiakos and that he expects to always play at this level. Also, the game he missed was a UEFA cup game, so perhaps that angered him even more (he is eager to prove himself at the continental level). I doubt he could have a diva attitude at Liverpool - at least not at this stage of his career. We just have to wait and see :)
      ManCityOlympiakos
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Re: Sebastian Leto Player Thread
      Reply #98: Mar 01, 2009 10:41:44 am
      Today is the big game against Panathinaikos, and though we are 11 points ahead of them, anything else other than a win will cause an uproar (I mean it, the game may not finish :P). Olympiakos have been AWFUL, losing 3 games in a row (I don't remember when this last happened).

Ernesto Valverde did NOT include Leto in the 18-man squad, even though he has only ONE left winger in it (Djordjevic, who usually doesn't last 90 mins at his age)!!! Leto is NOT injured, and there is no logical reason for leaving him out, other than Valverde hating the guy. I was under the impression that Liverpool would send a scout to this game to check him out- Valverde clearly sending a message here...

The nail in the coffin of Leto's spell at Olympiakos? I think so... Unless Valverde gets fired (or decides not to stay) this summer, I think Leto is headed back to Liverpool and he will probably be sold elsewhere.

Personally, I love the guy's potential. So much talent that is not being wasted.   :f_steam:

Finally, I came across an article on sportfm.gr (which is reputable and rarely publishes BS) that Liverpool are after Olympiakos striker Diogo, with a reported bid of 13.5M EUROS. Olympiakos paid about 10-11M, so I am not so sure they would accept this... On the other hand, the article mentions that Liverpool would offer additional incentives, and these would include Sebastian Leto! Has anyone heard of this rumor in the UK?

Edit: The article mentions the source of this is The People? Can't find anything on their site (never heard of them, either).
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #99: Mar 01, 2009 10:58:15 am
      Today is the big game against Panathinaikos, and though we are 11 points ahead of them, anything else other than a win will cause an uproar (I mean it, the game may not finish :P). Olympiakos have been AWFUL, losing 3 games in a row (I don't remember when this last happened).

Ernesto Valverde did NOT include Leto in the 18-man squad, even though he has only ONE left winger in it (Djordjevic, who usually doesn't last 90 mins at his age)!!! Leto is NOT injured, and there is no logical reason for leaving him out, other than Valverde hating the guy. I was under the impression that Liverpool would send a scout to this game to check him out- Valverde clearly sending a message here...

The nail in the coffin of Leto's spell at Olympiakos? I think so... Unless Valverde gets fired (or decides not to stay) this summer, I think Leto is headed back to Liverpool and he will probably be sold elsewhere.

Personally, I love the guy's potential. So much talent that is not being wasted.   :f_steam:

Finally, I came across an article on sportfm.gr (which is reputable and rarely publishes BS) that Liverpool are after Olympiakos striker Diogo, with a reported bid of 13.5M EUROS. Olympiakos paid about 10-11M, so I am not so sure they would accept this... On the other hand, the article mentions that Liverpool would offer additional incentives, and these would include Sebastian Leto! Has anyone heard of this rumor in the UK?

Edit: The article mentions the source of this is The People? Can't find anything on their site (never heard of them, either).

Wow haha. Interesting reading that mate, cheers for that. Looks like his time might be coming to a halt there, shame really, I wanted him to get as many games as possible.

I've not heard them rumours either. Whats Diogo like?
      ManCityOlympiakos
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #100: Mar 01, 2009 01:19:54 pm
      Wow haha. Interesting reading that mate, cheers for that. Looks like his time might be coming to a halt there, shame really, I wanted him to get as many games as possible.

I've not heard them rumours either. Whats Diogo like?

Diogo was phenomenal at first, and, like the rest of the starting 11 who never seem to get a break due to the lack of bench depth, his form has dipped lately.

I do rate him highly, however. He is not a prolific goal scorer, but rather a guy who opens up space for others, very strong, has good pace and dribbling ability and can score a few goals too. Some compare him to Drogba (style of play, not current ability  :P). Right now he plays as a lone striker with the wingers supporting him, and a forward just behind him (Belluschi). Not sure if he'd benefit in a more traditional 4-4-2 formation, but that's how it is right now...

He's only 21 and the fact the he has managed the pressure of playing at a club like Olympiakos (where losing in Greece is NOT an option) says a lot. Let me put it this way: We CANNOT keep a player of his class at Olympiakos. He might stay for next season, but if he lives up to the expectations, I don't see him staying beyond that.

To get an idea of what he's like at the top of his game, have a look at the following videos:

Olympiakos 5 Benfica 1 (Diogo 3-0): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j2HhXfcgeo#hq (Makes Sidnei look sooo bad - beautiful :))

Olympiakos 5 Benfica 1 (Diogo 5-1): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9J9u7fltQ8#hq (great finish from a difficult angle)

Olympiakos 5 Benfica 1 (Belluschi 4-1): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhlWOKv51f0#hq (Diogo finds Galletti beautifully, who then passes the ball across the goal to Belluschi for the easy tap-in.

(check out more youtube videos, also from his previous life at Portuguesa)

In short:

+ Strength, pace, opening up space for others, good finishing, good dribbling and holding the ball, winning fouls (sometimes it's the only way to stop him)
      - DIVES WAY TOO MUCH  :f_steam:, if he has a bad day his finishing evaporates, not much else...

He's one to watch in the future.
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #101: Mar 01, 2009 02:18:53 pm
      Today, I'm happy to say it's a totally different story. The guy has TRANSFORMED his game. He is absolutely amazing at times. He plays his heart out, and his footwork and skill are ...ridiculous (in a gooooood way!). He still gives into the temptation of trying to dribble past every opposing player, but it is rare now, and he sometimes makes 2 or 3 defenders look like CLOWNS.

Good to know, but that league is nothing much compared to the premier league. Think if is playing aswell as he is saying then maybe we should bring him back see how he does.
      reddurhamfc
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts | -4 
      Reply #102: Mar 01, 2009 03:39:14 pm
      Leto is another average player we have in the squad, aint good enough, carling cup player end of...
      K7
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #103: Mar 03, 2009 10:43:56 am
      Hi
      Another update on Leto: S.Leto was upset for not being included in the squad against Panathinaikos and was again very indifferent during yesterdays training session. When was asked to stop walking and do the exercise properly he started swearing in Spanish and Greek (!) at the coach and the assistant coach, he then started kicking balls towards the coach and other players who were watching the whole incident stunned by his behavior. Reports say that by kicking the footballs he hit coach Valverde in the back and also the second goalkeeper in the face (nose bleeding). He then left the training and switched off his mobile and as of this morning no one at Olympiacos knows his whereabouts or is able to reach him.
      too bad. I am always sad to see gifted people who are unable to show a minimum acceptable level of professionalism...
      :(
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #104: Mar 03, 2009 12:56:48 pm
      Hi
      Another update on Leto: S.Leto was upset for not being included in the squad against Panathinaikos and was again very indifferent during yesterdays training session. When was asked to stop walking and do the exercise properly he started swearing in Spanish and Greek (!) at the coach and the assistant coach, he then started kicking balls towards the coach and other players who were watching the whole incident stunned by his behavior. Reports say that by kicking the footballs he hit coach Valverde in the back and also the second goalkeeper in the face (nose bleeding). He then left the training and switched off his mobile and as of this morning no one at Olympiacos knows his whereabouts or is able to reach him.
      too bad. I am always sad to see gifted people who are unable to show a minimum acceptable level of professionalism...

Looks like he has lost it.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #105: Mar 03, 2009 04:30:23 pm
      Hi

Wow again.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #106: May 27, 2009 06:45:47 am
      So what off this lad now?

Read a few reports that Rafa is keen to sort out his visa and keep the lad. If this happens what will it do to our options on the left, I have never seen him play enough to make judgement on his abilities. I think I saw him play once last year in a CL qualifier and he was very average.

If we can not sort out his paperwork apparently he will be on the market at 3mill.
      « Last Edit: May 27, 2009 07:05:47 am by Dadorious »
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #107: May 27, 2009 07:04:53 am
      This must not have been right. I remember seeing play against Reading in the Carling Cup last year? Or did my eyes deceive me?

So far I've read that Rafa is trying to sort out his permit problems, if it doesn't work, he's going to sell him I guess.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #108: May 27, 2009 11:26:33 am
      It don't look like he's settled in Greece, maybe it's time we got his visa sorted or he'll be off to Spain. Who knows, maybe the EPL will suit him, maybe it won't, but theirs only one way to find out. It would be crazy now to let him go, then in a few years he joins some EPL team and looks every bit the player Rafa needs and wants.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #109: May 27, 2009 04:26:45 pm
      Hi
      sounds like his shooting accuracy has improved
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #110: May 27, 2009 04:33:21 pm
      sounds like his shooting accuracy has improved
      :lmao:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #111: Jul 01, 2009 07:44:22 am
      Signed for Panathinaikos according to SSN yellow bar. No menton of Price, no links yet.

Leto completes Panathinaikos deal
      Liverpool winger Sebastian Leto has joined Greek giants Panathinaikos.

The 22-year-old spent last season on loan with Pana's rivals Olympiakos after work permit problems prevented him from playing for Liverpool.

Leto signed for the Reds from Lanus in a £2m deal in August 2007 and made his debut in a Champions League qualifier against Toulouse later that month.

Argentine Leto went on to make three further senior appearances but struggled to make an impact at Anfield.
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8127935.stm
      « Last Edit: Jul 01, 2009 08:41:59 am by RedPuppy »
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #112: Jul 01, 2009 09:43:34 am
      Good luck Leto, just a pity your work permit didn't go through and we weren't able to see you in action for most of the time. Some guy on top said that Leto threw his temper in training, if that was the case then I don't want him at the club either.

No one is bigger than the club. But just glad you ended your uncertainty of your future by moving on to a new club - Good luck.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #113: Jul 01, 2009 09:46:11 am
      Good luck Leto, fizz those crosses in for Dj :D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,653 posts | 6948 
      Reply #114: Jul 01, 2009 10:49:31 am
      Player topic closed.

Leto's transfer discussion thread has been moved to the General Football board if you want to continue discussing his career.

Which is unlikely.

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=16229.0

Quick Reply