Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Wolves 0-0 Liverpool: Post Match

Read 27784 times
      therapy2004
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 145 posts |
      Re: Wolves 0-0 Liverpool: Post Match
      Reply #230: Jan 27, 2010 09:09:24 am
      Come on now . . . these aren't knee jerk reactions are they? Last weeks praising of Rafa though were exactly that. Everyone was saying that was the win that kick starts the season and that Rafa was this and that, but that game means nothing now does it. Does he not know that we are in a mess and we need to keep a winning side. Ok Gerrard was back but Aquilani was our best player by a mile and needed the game tonight to build up some steam.
      We are back where we started before the spurs game pretty much.

I make you right.  I think we can safely say we are beyond the knee-jerk phase...there is something inherently negative in our tactics and mentality, and this is not an opinion formed over one game, but over many many games.   I make these things the responsibility of a manager.  I've been to lots of games this season and watched the rest on TV, so I'm not just spouting random nonsense.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #231: Jan 27, 2010 09:49:00 am
      What Ive gathered from posts here and talking to people who seen the game..

Fook all attempts on goal
      Reina our best player
      Hoofing aerial balls from the back
      Players looked like they werent arsed

Are they fair comments?

I also notice that Pacheco and Aquilani, 2 men who might create things, were left sitting on the bench!

In a nutshell that is correct sir.

Woke up the household screaming at the tv for either of them two to come on, it was hardly a high risk Champions League tie at the Nou Camp where a 0-0 was good enough.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #232: Jan 27, 2010 10:50:38 am
      if I'm aquilani, I'd pull a Babel and look for a loan move back to rome.

Rafa is pathetic in treating the players.

He may very well become another player that is not showing enough in training. Your telling Gerrard was out and he just walks right back in? Absolutely amazing after Aquilani's confidence was growing it has taken another hit.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #233: Jan 27, 2010 10:55:17 am
      Last night was one of the worst matches i  have seen in years. Two teams who hoofed the ball up and down the park. Wolve on occasion at least tried to play some football but we were embaressing.

I think now we all know what Rafa really thinks of Aquilani now, i thought what he did was bang out of order. But for me that wasnt the worst aspect. We were playing sh*t and he made only one sub, Ngog for arguabley our best player last night in Riera.

We were creating nothing and he persisted with Gerrard who was out of puff come 50 mins and Masch and Lucas who couldnt pass the ball five yards last night. To have two creative players in Aquilani and Pacheco on the bench and completley ignore them is unbelievable.

I dont care what anyone thinks but Rafa was happy to go away with a point rather than make changes and attempt to get a victory.

Im behind the gaffer all the way but im not defending him last night. Complete sh*te.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #234: Jan 27, 2010 11:19:54 am
      We probably don't need two holding midfielders mate, I'm not denying that but it is the system we play with.

I've been often saying that is our system - and pointing to last year and how it worked so well.

But the basic fact is now, and it's saying something when I reach this point, is that the system just isn't working.  Even with 4-4-2 our midfield should be of enough quality to out-boss most teams.

Failing that and if we were to stick to our current formation I'm not sure we can continue playing two holding midfielders. We are being starved of chances.  If Rafa refuses to play Gerrard on the right then he has to put him back in to midfield - partnering either Leiva or Mascherano. To be honest I don't care which because I think they have both been decent this season. Aquilani behind a striker who is capable of remembering he is playing up front - which for me at the moment is N'gog.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #235: Jan 27, 2010 11:24:44 am
      Last night was the perfect chance to try our 4-1-4-1 and shift the dynamic of the team.
      Ideally

Lucas/Mascherano
      Maxi/Kuyt                                         Reira/Benni
                       Gerrard               Aquilani

Torres/Ngog

4-2-3-1 should only be used now against the other BIG 4 and not teams who even at home just want to hang on for a draw
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #236: Jan 27, 2010 11:32:39 am

You know I didn’t get to watch the match, saw highlights and new the score. Half way through I thought, forget this. It was bad, very bad.Listening to Rafa's post match comments and Aquialni didn’t start because it was either him or Gerrard? God forbid you drop eith Lucas or Mascherano. It was a good game in terms of we kept a clean sheet then didn’t comment when he was questioned about the Juventus job. Utterly bitterly sh*te, we got a 0 - 0 away at wovles because we played negative yet again!

Urgh just urgh
      KopQueen
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 526 posts |
      Reply #237: Jan 27, 2010 11:42:41 am
      Well I haven't been on the forum too much this season, and I didn't see the Wolves match, but from what i've been reading...I ain't missing anything...

We need a new team...can't rely on Gerrad Carra Reina Torres Kuyt and Benny - without them on top form we are well and truly f***ed.
      Oh by the way LFC till i'm laid to rest.....
      redtiptoe
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts |
      Reply #238: Jan 27, 2010 11:42:54 am
      Awful, devoid of any ideas. Trying to play long ball against them absolute w*nk idea. Couldn't string 4 forward on the ground passes, Gerrard should of either come off or been dropped into the slot next to Mascher,  
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #239: Jan 27, 2010 12:30:11 pm
      I haven't seen the game and to be honest I don't think I'll be going out of my way to watch it, sounded pretty dire on the radio and from reading all your reports on here it sounded abysmal to you guys too.

One thing.....I'm not happy with the way Gerrard has been taking ALL the stick from everyone, one man doesn't make a team FFS, I know he hasn't played  well but just remember all the times he has pulled us out the sh*t on so many occasions. He is allowed to have a bad game you know  :f_steam:

Rant Over.

My own thoughts later,however having just got to page three here.I NEVER thought I'd see the day Stevie Gerrard would be THE main scapegoat for an all round poor performance by the team.
      Well said Ms G first "sensible post".
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #240: Jan 27, 2010 12:43:58 pm
      Has to be Aquilani and Masch, it is going into January and we haven't seen this midfield pairing yet that is shocking, Aquilani was bought to replace Alonso, Masch was our regular last season so why is he not playing week in week out with Aquilani.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #241: Jan 27, 2010 12:45:04 pm
      Would love to have seen Rafa just roll the dice a little last night and put on Aquilani and Pacheco with 30 and 20 mins to go respectfully.
      Reira and Gerrard aren't fully fit and I think a more adventurous approach would have won this game. Still another clean sheet though so well done Kyrgiakos for coming in and stopping the goals leaking in by installing a bit of confidence back into the defencive line

he should have f*cking started with aquilani. why did we start with 2 defensive midfielders against a team who have scored a total of 16 goals in 22 games in the league so far?

mascha was dominating the midfield defensively, we should have taken a chance. awful, awful, awful game to watch.

at least riera looked sharp and provided some attacking width. shame noone was in the box to cross to, ever!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #242: Jan 27, 2010 12:45:16 pm
      In a nutshell that is correct sir.

Woke up the household screaming at the tv for either of them two to come on, it was hardly a high risk Champions League tie at the Nou Camp where a 0-0 was good enough.

Cant figure out why he wont give Aquialni a run of games. I thought he done well against Spurs. Surely worthy of 20 minutes last night? Pacheco like wise why not give the kid a chance??
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #243: Jan 27, 2010 12:48:20 pm
      It smells of Keane-gate all over again.
      sivapc
      • Banned

• 238 posts | -25 
      Reply #244: Jan 27, 2010 12:50:46 pm
      Has to be Aquilani and Masch, it is going into January and we haven't seen this midfield pairing yet that is shocking, Aquilani was bought to replace Alonso, Masch was our regular last season so why is he not playing week in week out with Aquilani.

hey you forgot our player of the season Lucas..

it would be criminal to drop our player of the season Lucas. Our player of the season Lucas is the only one who has shown heart, fight and desire to win matches.

our player of the season Lucas deserves to start in all matches as our player of the season Lucas is waaay better than permacrock Aquilani and Skipper Gerrard.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #245: Jan 27, 2010 12:51:13 pm
      It smells of Keane-gate all over again.
      I said that in the player thread.. I really hope he doesn't destroy the lad... but if he persists with 4-2-3-1 over 4-1-4-1 thats what will happen
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #246: Jan 27, 2010 12:58:47 pm
      I said that in the player thread.. I really hope he doesn't destroy the lad... but if he persists with 4-2-3-1 over 4-1-4-1 thats what will happen

Hopefully it won't get as bad as that but the Italian must be thinking 'wtf have I walked into'. The lad played his best performance for us thus far this season against Spurs and is rotated or dropped whatever phrase suits you back to the bench.

We all harp on about momentum and cohesion but its typical of Rafa to rotate a player out of form. Okay, Aquilani hasn't found the kind of form we're hoping from him, but he did look as though he was building up a head of steam. I remember him doing that to Crouch after the big fella netted a hatrick in the previous week. Rafa stuck by Crouch for 18 games when the lanky striker couldn't break his duck, a few games later when Crouch finally hits a purple patch the lad is rotated. Sometimes it beggers belief, no wonder Crouchy wanted out!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #247: Jan 27, 2010 01:02:31 pm
      Proper hat-trick against Arsenal and then dropped. Aquilani had a face like thunder in the tunnel last night. Come on Rafa. Most of us have faith in you now its your turn to have some faith in your players. Take the shackles off
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #248: Jan 27, 2010 01:07:20 pm

It certainly does. And when you read things like we only had one shot on target in the whole game, it becomes very hard to understand the logic of such a decision. Seeing as Aquilani was the one who set up Kuyt for the first goal against Spurs.

On Gerrard's latest form and injury record/match fitness, did he warrant 'Aquilani's' place in the side? I don't think so.
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #249: Jan 27, 2010 01:13:52 pm
      hey you forgot our player of the season Lucas..

it would be criminal to drop our player of the season Lucas. Our player of the season Lucas is the only one who has shown heart, fight and desire to win matches.

our player of the season Lucas deserves to start in all matches as our player of the season Lucas is waaay better than permacrock Aquilani and Skipper Gerrard.

I hope your not serious
      sivapc
      • Banned

• 238 posts | -25 
      Reply #250: Jan 27, 2010 01:17:32 pm

i am..

99% here said lucas has been our best player so far.. so how to drop him?

it's Lucas and Aquilani/masch/gerrard. for Rafa.

we can do f*** about this.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #251: Jan 27, 2010 01:17:44 pm
      Scary comment from the indo on last nights game

" The poverty of Liverpools play was shocking.There was no pretensions of being a top side here,this was slumming it with the rest of the premier league"

Frightening to think we could play so badly
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #252: Jan 27, 2010 01:20:07 pm
      Depressing when our best player last night was our 4th choice centre-back. Depressing that we couldn't seem to string 3-4 passes together.  Depressing that in a game that needing some creativity & guile we left Aquilani & Pacheco on the bench.  Depressing that Carragher & Mascherano still persist in hoofing (passing the ball to the opposition) balls 30yds +, when neither have that kind of range.  Depressing that Gerrard started last night considering he looked off the pace & out of form.  Depressing that all this came after the Spurs result.

Quick Reply