Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Would Capello take Gerrard? or even lose his X1 role in SA

Read 3101 times
      YanksOutForGood
      • Forum David Johnson
      • Started Topic

• 215 posts | -1 
      Would Capello take Gerrard? or even lose his X1 role in SA
      Jan 26, 2010 11:59:19 pm
      He has had an injury prone season, hasn't had any great games apart from Hull personally.

Yes he has struggled with form but there are several guys who capello could take.

I don't think he would take him out but would he could of lost his place this season in the X1

thoughts?

Discussion me and my pa had
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Would Capello take Gerrard? or even lose his X1 role in SA
      Reply #1: Jan 27, 2010 12:00:44 am
      He will take him because he will play him on the left of midfield, that is where we should be playing him but on the opposite side.
      idwLFC89
      • Banned

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #2: Jan 27, 2010 12:07:39 am
      I think if Capello threatened not to take Gerrard to South Africa, we might see a drastic improvement in his play. No player wants to be left out of the world cup squad
      YanksOutForGood
      • Forum David Johnson
      • Started Topic

• 215 posts | -1 
      Reply #3: Jan 27, 2010 12:11:07 am
      Interesting what people say

My dads view was same as above.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #4: Jan 27, 2010 12:21:38 am
      I think if Capello threatened not to take Gerrard to South Africa, we might see a drastic improvement in his play. No player wants to be left out of the world cup squad

Interesting point, although it wouldn't say much for our captain if he was more motivated in playing for England than the team that pays his wages and that he has supported since childhood!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #5: Jan 27, 2010 12:55:04 am
      Interesting point, although it wouldn't say much for our captain if he was more motivated in playing for England than the team that pays his wages and that he has supported since childhood!

They get free laptops and all that when they go on international duty though.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #6: Jan 27, 2010 12:56:51 am
      knowing capello he has no favourites at this point stevie doesnt make it on club form
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #7: Jan 27, 2010 12:57:22 am
      They get free laptops and all that when they go on international duty though.

So that's what's wrong with Stevie Gow. He is saving himself so he can get his Macbook as a World Cup bonus eh!! ;)
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #8: Jan 27, 2010 12:59:18 am
      So that's what's wrong with Stevie Gow. He is saving himself so he can get his Macbook as a World Cup bonus eh!! ;)

I'm telling you. They're boss them Macbooks. He has to save for his pension. He can't be blowing all his money in the Apple shop. And every time he plays for England, he gets a free cap. Saves him a fortune in caps that.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #9: Jan 27, 2010 02:40:41 am
      Joe Cole will start on the left. Stevie will have to sit it out on this form. is form should pick up soon though. Give him 2 more.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #10: Jan 27, 2010 06:05:05 am
      I think the problem is Stevie G has started taking things for granted. He knows Rafa can't afford to leave him out of the line-up.
      And frankly speaking, he is one of the best midfielder England have, so I think it's pretty obvious that he believes his name will be on the clean-sheet for majority of the matches.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #11: Jan 27, 2010 06:17:39 am
      Who cares?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6948 
      Reply #12: Jan 27, 2010 11:08:15 am
      Personally I couldn't care less if Gerrard spent his summer with his Chelsea bum-chums or not, but IF he wasn't an England regular there is no way he would be getting in the starting XI based on the way he has been playing.

I'm sure he will go there on name alone - but I think he may find himself as substitute.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #13: Jan 27, 2010 04:50:42 pm

I for one care because as an Englishman i want us to win the World Cup.

If the plane was leaving tomorrow i don't think Gerrard would be on it solely on form alone.

Fortunately for him his reputation is such that when opposing teams see his name on the team sheet they sh*t their pants.

Which is why i agree with JD, i think he'll be there but on name alone and not form.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #14: Jan 28, 2010 01:58:49 am
      Agree. On form he doesn't deserve to be in fabio's 11. He will definately go to SA and also the Macs are awesome...got two of them! But I digress...stevie on form behind a restricted rooney is great but then u lose what that little b***ard is good at. If only we had a great english striker then you'd play stevie and rooney behind with freedom to roam with cole and johnson working the flanks....just means the defensive midfielder has a huge job to play...barry or hargraves if he is ever fit. Lampard to play in the centre with terry, ferdinand and hart behind....but then I don't give a sh*t as liverpool are everything
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #15: Jan 29, 2010 06:32:50 pm
      I might sound a bit stupid here but what is "his X1 role"?

I think he'll definitely be in SA so long as he's fit. Regardless of his form Gerrard is a player that has performed on the big stage, not particularly for England but many times for us. Capello would have to be mad not to bring him.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #16: Jan 29, 2010 06:40:31 pm
      It's a pretty complicated situation.

If Capello threatens to drop Stevie for the squad due to his performances and Stevie steps it up. It's as though he's only motivated to play for his country in the World Cup than helping Liverpool's poor season get better. Dare I say some Liverpool fans (not me, though ;D ) can actually turn their backs against our captain as that sudden switch in performance can tell alot about Stevie. That isn't good for his status.

I personally believe Stevie would be on the plane if they were leaving tomorrow. His reputation overcomes his recent poor performances. Like JD stated, it will be on name alone. Even though below par most of this season, there would be moments he'd conjure up some magic when needed. It's once stated 'Steven Gerrard's worst is better than most players' best'. That is soon becoming flawed.

But whatever the case, as a captain, he needs to step up his game.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #17: Jan 29, 2010 09:47:46 pm
      Left mid for england? on his current form he wouldn't get in ahead of Gareth Barry even.

Quick Reply