Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Next season...

Read 6459 times
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 926 posts |
      Next season...
      Jan 27, 2010 05:44:41 pm
      Would you want drastic changes at the club if we finish say 7/8th and fail to qualify for Europe.

I’ll give an example:

We sack Rafa, sell a couple of β€˜top’ players: Torres, Gerrard, Mascherano, Carragher and use the funds we make to build a solid all round squad.

This is what we would be left with:
      Reina
      Johnson – Skrtel – Agger – Insua
      Benayoun – Aquilani – Lucas – Reira
      Kuyt – N’Gog

Not a bad team to build on, with the funds made from Gerrard, Torres and Mascherano we could add a few quality players and I reckon be a better all round team.

What do you think of that?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Next season...
      Reply #1: Jan 27, 2010 05:45:35 pm
      To be honest I'd rather we focused on this season and concentrate on getting Champions League football next season than start looking at next season already.

Also, Torres, Gerrard, Masch and co wont be leaving regardless of where we finish.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 926 posts |
      Reply #2: Jan 27, 2010 05:47:39 pm
      its just a scenario... I'd prefer us to get in the champions league, but when a team that should be challenging for the league gets held by the team 4th bottom, you do worry.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #3: Jan 27, 2010 06:05:11 pm
      Why on earth would we want to sell three world-class players?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #4: Jan 27, 2010 06:10:47 pm
      You have talked 3 of 4 world class players are you insane. Why don't we sell the sh*te there is a lot of that in the squad, I'd sell 4 maybe 5 of your starting team due to them not been good enough. If we have that team next season mid table is the best we can hope for.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #5: Jan 27, 2010 06:16:12 pm
      If we need to raise funds, then we need to sell players who will fetch a good price and aren't going to impact on us to much. So for me I'd lose, Babel, Kuyt, Lucas and possibly Aurelio.

That should hopefully fetch us 20mill+, then spend all that on one player of good quality, who would really improve our starting XI. However, doing that is to the detriment of our squad, so it's a catch 22 situation. Horrible place we're in right now.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #6: Jan 27, 2010 06:17:42 pm
      The only thing certain about next season is, it comes after this one.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 926 posts |
      Reply #7: Jan 27, 2010 06:18:10 pm
      Didn't say that would be the starting team, and the 3/4 world class players, 2 are injured too often, Carragher is getting past it, and would Mascherano stay if we finished out of Europe, like I said its just a scenario.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #8: Jan 27, 2010 06:24:36 pm
      Well didn't Tevez sign for City and they weren't in the Champions League if the money is good enough Masch will stay.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,289 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #9: Jan 27, 2010 06:27:48 pm
      Would you want drastic changes at the club if we finish say 7/8th and fail to qualify for Europe.

I’ll give an example:

We sack Rafa, sell a couple of β€˜top’ players: Torres, Gerrard, Mascherano, Carragher and use the funds we make to build a solid all round squad.

Reina
      Kuyt – N’Gog

Not a bad team to build on, with the funds made from Gerrard, Torres and Mascherano we could add a few quality players and I reckon be a better all round team.

I think id go fooking mad if we sold Masch Torres and Stevie in the 1 summer!!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #10: Jan 27, 2010 06:31:22 pm
      Ya we would all go over the edge why don't we sell Reina as well
      YanksOutForGood
      • Forum David Johnson

• 215 posts | -1 
      Reply #11: Jan 27, 2010 06:43:37 pm
      Oh yeah and then sell Dani Pacheco too and then have sh*t upfront
      also have 30 million on another defender too?

yes think we are set there
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 926 posts |
      Reply #12: Jan 27, 2010 06:51:55 pm
      Wow this forum isn't open to any posibilities is it, you all seem to think that we have a right to finish in the top 4. Well we don't, tbh on yesterdays performance we should be alot closer to Wolves in the table, and the worse thing is that isn't the worst we've performed all season.

If you read my opening post I said use the funds from the sales to build an overall stronger squad. I know selling Gerrard and Torres seems mad, but they're both injured too often, I'd rather seem them gone and have 11 decent players rather then have 2 world class players a few decent ones and the rest deadwood.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #13: Jan 27, 2010 07:09:48 pm
      Why would you sell our best defensive midfielder probably the best one in the World.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #14: Jan 27, 2010 07:20:59 pm
      Wow this forum isn't open to any posibilities is it, you all seem to think that we have a right to finish in the top 4. Well we don't, tbh on yesterdays performance we should be alot closer to Wolves in the table, and the worse thing is that isn't the worst we've performed all season.

If you read my opening post I said use the funds from the sales to build an overall stronger squad. I know selling Gerrard and Torres seems mad, but they're both injured too often, I'd rather seem them gone and have 11 decent players rather then have 2 world class players a few decent ones and the rest deadwood.
      Im sorry, with Gerrard being sold there could be some sense in it, due to his age, and the mounting injurys (doesn't mean I would agree with it!) But Torres?! Just because he gets injured a few times doesn't mean selling him would make sense, all pacy players like him pick up injuries, all teams need to have a player who can just pull something out the bag, lose Torres and we wouldn't have that.

Plus the fact that he is F***ing quality.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #15: Jan 27, 2010 07:24:02 pm

So you'd sell Torres who is arguably the worlds best striker purely because of his injuries?

Also you say only having 2 world class players. Reina, Carragher, Mascherano, Gerrard, Benayoun and Torres are all world class IMO, even though this season, and Carra mostly they have been well off par.

This topic is seeming more and more of a knee jerk reaction from yesterdays result as it goes on.
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #16: Jan 27, 2010 07:24:32 pm
      what a stupid f***in topic...

some people on this forum need to give their heads a shake.. it is january! the season ends in may.. & F**k off  we aint selling our top 3 players!!!! who do you think we are? west ham...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,245 posts | 8576 
      Reply #17: Jan 27, 2010 07:29:34 pm

And you honestly think the money generated from selling Gerrard and Torres would be used for transfer funds?

If you do I reckon you need your head testing, we are becoming a selling club, but we know the reason for it - Yanks + Debt = we're fu**ed!!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #18: Jan 27, 2010 07:32:00 pm
      Not forgetting that if we finished way down and sold the players like you said, how would we replace them with quality because no quality players would want to leave Champions League for no Champions League, especially if we cant offer them a sh*t load in wages like City.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #19: Jan 27, 2010 07:45:38 pm

I’ll give an example:

Reina
      Kuyt – N’Gog

I think LFC would be fu**ed.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #20: Jan 27, 2010 08:29:08 pm
      We should never ever think about selling Torres,Gerrard,Masch , and Carra,for one thing a lot of the injuries suffered have been due to lack of quality replacements and because of this I would imagine players do get p****d off and their form suffers ,We as Liverpool always have tried to get the very best players here and these 4 are ,for me the best ,granted Carra and Stevie are no spring chickens now but are still very good players,if we had bought quality ,and not the likes of Babel ,Voronin (yes he's gone ) Dossena (also gone) etc,i believe we would not be languishing out of the top four ...so no I would not sell class to start again
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #21: Jan 27, 2010 08:37:31 pm
      I have a better Idea why don't we just sell Babel in the summer add that to the funds from Dossena and Voronin and hope our owners stump up the rest and go buy 1 quality player who'll make a difference ala David Villa and play 4-4-2 ? let teams worry about us and not the other way round ?

Surely that makes more sense than selling our better players
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #22: Jan 27, 2010 09:32:14 pm
      And you honestly think the money generated from selling Gerrard and Torres would be used for transfer funds?

If you do I reckon you need your head testing, we are becoming a selling club, but we know the reason for it - Yanks + Debt = we're fu**ed!!
      Spot on as usual mate.
      I have a better Idea why don't we just sell Babel in the summer add that to the funds from Dossena and Voronin and hope our owners stump up the rest and go buy 1 quality player who'll make a difference ala David Villa and play 4-4-2 ? let teams worry about us and not the other way round ?

I'd go with that Red,the correct player in the correct formation for us.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #23: Jan 27, 2010 10:20:08 pm
      Sell our best players. Hmm, now why didn't I think of that...
      idwLFC89
      • Banned

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #24: Jan 27, 2010 11:12:03 pm
      let's just focus on this season, i'm not even going to start on the proposition that we sell our best players, because if you want to know what that would be like, just look at what's happening now!
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #25: Jan 27, 2010 11:28:44 pm
      Plain weird
      « Last Edit: Jan 28, 2010 09:22:33 pm by MsGerrard, Reason: spelling ! »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #26: Jan 28, 2010 01:00:15 am
      junior_red, maybe you should have used the word Hypothetically in your opening post.

I for one would hate top see drastic change. To see the likes Of Torres, Stevie, Masch or even Pepe running around in another clubs shirt would make me feel more physically sick than I do at the moment watching the lads play like they have this season.

Surely with everything that has gone wrong this season, we can't expect next season to be the same. Surely our luck is going to have to change.

Like RLB said, get rid of the dead wood, see what kind of cash we can get to add to the cash from Dross and Voronin and buy a player that's going to bring flair and quality to our team.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #27: Jan 28, 2010 01:06:36 am
      The only thing Aussie, would those Yanks, give back the money for Rafa to spend? I don't think so.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #28: Jan 28, 2010 01:10:16 am
      The only thing Aussie, would those Yanks, give back the money for Rafa to spend?

Yeh they would, they'd just pretend the transfer budget had been used renewing existing players contracts instead.  :f_bluelight:
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #29: Jan 28, 2010 01:16:42 am
      Yeh they would, they'd just pretend the transfer budget had been used renewing existing players contracts instead.  :f_bluelight:
      Fair cop.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #30: Jan 28, 2010 01:29:45 am
      Can we stop putting posters down for starting a topic worthy of a debate. When u start a topic u have to play devils advocate a bit in order to get others to have contravy or supportive opinions. It doesn't mean that the person who started the topic doesn't love the club and players less than you, just that he is giving us all a chance to think outside the box.
      I get ur point junior red...desperate times can on occasion lead to necessary desperate measures.
      But to sell nando, stevie or masch would be like raising the white flag. I personally would like to see rafa still at the helm and trusting the youngsters a lot more. I'd be happy to see him lay the foundations of a young, attacking and confident team that can dominate within the next 3 years rather than go backwards and remain stagnant as we have all season.
      Bring back nemeth, trust pacheco, ecclestone, amoo, kelly, darby and spearing and free the more experienced player from the defensive system currently in place.
      I want a return to the style and formation of the 80's and early 90's. We have players who can do that and who would thrive if given the opportunity
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #31: Jan 28, 2010 08:27:47 am
      Sell our best players. Hmm, now why didn't I think of that...
      :lmao:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,619 posts | 3850 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #32: Jan 28, 2010 09:45:13 am

I’ll give an example:

Reina
      Kuyt – N’Gog

I hope g & h don't read this. Don't be giving them ideas.
      I've a better idea.. how about someone locks this topic.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #33: Jan 28, 2010 11:51:28 am
      shouldn't this be in the knee jerk thread?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,619 posts | 3850 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #34: Jan 28, 2010 12:10:20 pm
      Can we stop putting posters down for starting a topic worthy of a debate. When u start a topic u have to play devils advocate a bit in order to get others to have contravy or supportive opinions. It doesn't mean that the person who started the topic doesn't love the club and players less than you, just that he is giving us all a chance to think outside the box.

Point taken but this seems alot like scaremongering. Or maybe in the back of my mind I don't want to consider it because I know its not as ridiculous a prospect as I might like to think. Really though with the team performing more consistantly and getting better as they play more games as a unit then when Torres Benni and Johnson come back we can push on an build on this seasons finish rather than dwelling too much on what has gone before.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • Β© Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #35: Jan 28, 2010 12:13:54 pm
      The whole thread is a speculation based on what might or might not happen THIS season.

Let's just pull our F***ing socks up, tuck our cocks in, and concentrate on finishing as highly as possible. No-one knows what money the Yanks might or might not let Rafa have from player sales, but I wouldn't gamble selling our best players - and therefore the future of the club - based on that.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,003 posts | 223 
      Reply #36: Jan 28, 2010 12:19:35 pm

For that to work Rafa would have to go, otherwize David Villa would be on the bench all the time
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #37: Jan 28, 2010 02:04:04 pm
      Although i am slightly apprehensive about are future, i would rather talk about this season than next. I can't believe we are already talking about next season  :-[
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #38: Jan 28, 2010 02:09:09 pm
      For that to work Rafa would have to go, otherwize David Villa would be on the bench all the time

You really think that ?, Rafa getting one of his long standing targets ?,  give your head a wobble daft lad. ;D
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 926 posts |
      Reply #39: Jan 28, 2010 02:14:27 pm
      Well atleast one person replies without an insult (Y)
      Oh wells maybe selling all 3 is a bit drastic, but Gerrard and Torres are both out too often, and while we play the formation we do, we aren't going to attract top quality cover for either of them as when Nando and Gerrard are fit they aren't going to get a look in.

I think we either need a change in management or Benitez needs to start realising we need to play with 2 strikers after this summer.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,556 posts | 1789 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #40: Jan 28, 2010 02:45:17 pm
      Next season is gonna be amazin. We will wipe the floor with everybody!

With Rafa the Gafa at the helm!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #41: Jan 28, 2010 06:45:52 pm
      Next season.....

is a long way off yet, let's just concentrate on doing as well as we can this season first.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #42: Jan 28, 2010 07:00:53 pm

Is right! Look what happened to the 80m that manure got for ladyboy - they have hardly seen a quarter of that. We simply can't go selling to much until we can be guaranteed the cash, and then if thats the case, sell sh*te not quality!!
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Reply #43: Jan 28, 2010 07:24:22 pm
      With the Yank$ at helm, anything can happen to us barring spending money on new players(world class ones). Having said that, we could end up losing all the money we make from their sales. To make it worse since we sack Rafa(or he walk off) the Yank$ appoint some silly Joe as his replacement. And the beginning of the ending of this club starts.

The current situation is murky enough with so many things going on behind the curtain(and on the pitch as well), to push it to the lowest level is unthinkable but may also be inescapable for us.

What I can only say is I'm sticking to the Club, regardless who the owners are, who the manager is and which division we're playing in. 
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #44: Jan 28, 2010 07:53:59 pm
      Next season.....

is a long way off yet, let's just concentrate on doing as well as we can this season first.
      yep agree with that Mrs G ,Lets finish our season first and grab 4th
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #45: Jan 28, 2010 08:02:09 pm
      everybody wants to play in the CL. Nobod would want to venture in a team which has just sacked his manager is in the UEFA cup and has sold its best players! I wouldn't.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #46: Jan 28, 2010 08:15:21 pm
      If we sold Torres, Gerrard,  and Mascherano and put out a team of

Reina
                Kuyt – N’Gog

I would want to know where the F**k the Β£200m had gone.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #47: Jan 28, 2010 08:30:17 pm
      Let's get this season out of the way first, then, and only then, can we start debating what we should do about our dire situation.

Right topic, wrong time.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #48: Jan 28, 2010 08:46:03 pm

I would want to know where the F**k the Β£200m had gone.

RBS & Wachovia of course ;D ;D
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #49: Jan 28, 2010 09:11:56 pm
      If we dont finish in the top 4 this year, then hopefully the yanks will realise there is no money to be made at this club, therefore they sell the club to someone worthy of funding the team and we take a fresh start. ;D
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 926 posts |
      Reply #50: Jan 29, 2010 12:32:42 am
      If we sold Torres, Gerrard,  and Mascherano and put out a team of

Reina
                Kuyt – N’Gog

I would want to know where the f**k the Β£200m had gone.

If you read my post properly you would of read that I put it isn't a bad team to "build upon" but then that would ruin your 'funny' comment.
      sqirg
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 160 posts |
      Reply #51: Jan 29, 2010 12:38:09 am
      I just hope we actually start playing 'football' next season instead of 'hoofball'.
      YanksOutForGood
      • Forum David Johnson

• 215 posts | -1 
      Reply #52: Jan 29, 2010 03:53:06 pm
      sell lucas
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,556 posts | 1789 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #53: Jan 30, 2010 10:38:51 am
      I just hope we actually start playing 'football' next season instead of 'hoofball'.

We will play football again this season. The Injuries are slowly easing, the defence is keeping clean sheets that will give confidence to the lads up front.
      sivapc
      • Banned

• 238 posts | -25 
      Reply #54: Jan 30, 2010 10:47:10 am
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #55: Jan 30, 2010 05:08:04 pm

Why don't you two go start your own forum specially for those that hate Lucas because it's getting tiresome seeing you two having some sort of pop at him in virtually every thread.
      Cuttsy888
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 295 posts |
      Reply #56: Feb 01, 2010 09:44:28 am

I’ll give an example:

Reina
      Kuyt – N’Gog

Id rather build a team around gerrard torres reina carragher aquliani mascherano then sell them off. Id sell everyone else in the team to keep them !!!!!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,619 posts | 3850 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #57: Feb 01, 2010 11:14:26 am

Its disturbing that your hatred of Lucas is so strong that you can fall in love with another poster without even a candlelit dinner before hand.
      Well at least you'll have something to tallk about over dinner and thats always good at the start of a romance
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #58: Feb 01, 2010 11:28:43 am
      I would be keeping 

Torres-Gerrard-Mascherano-Johnson-Reina-Aquilani

The team must be built around those 6

I would be keen to sell Lucas- babel  and to a lesser extent and if it meant getting quality replacements Benayoun and Kuyt.

I would not sack rafa because we cant afford the 20 million compo, but if Juve is happy to pay it out it would be a bonus.

qodyzone
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #59: Feb 03, 2010 01:41:26 pm
      i think just try focus on this season, get the 4th spot and hopefully benitez will try to buy an attacking player....
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #60: Feb 03, 2010 09:23:30 pm
      The way some of these storys that are comeing out will we have a next season
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #61: Feb 03, 2010 09:52:40 pm
      The way some of these storys that are comeing out will we have a next season

Another knee-jerk negative reaction.....

Quick Reply