Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Mascherano
      (22.2%)
      Kyrgiakos
      (47.2%)
      Kuyt
      (6.9%)
      Insua
      (15.3%)
      Ngog
      (2.8%)
      Someone else
      (5.6%)

Liverpool 2-0 Bolton: Post Match Hugs

Read 20887 times
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Bolton: Post Match Hugs
      Reply #138: Jan 31, 2010 01:39:44 pm
      Want to give credit to the Team - good all round performance in 2nd half (took time to warm up) Stevie showing glimpses of his old self.  We need more quality players to seriously compete for the title though (but we'll see who eventually picks the trophy up).  It's still a long way to go and we need to win the Derby but if the players put pashion and effort in to win the '2nd balls' we're in with a fighting chance. Sotis was immense yesterday and despite a few misplaced passes Acquilani showed his quality and class     ;D
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #139: Jan 31, 2010 02:49:38 pm
      It was a very workmen like performance from the club, we could of really finished the game up a lot early but in the end a win and a clean sheet is a good result.

I though Mascherano was our best player on the pitch last night, the passes he was making all game were the best I have seen him do in a long time. I would really love to see him be able to make those long and accurate passes to players all the time, it would really give us more of a edge in the middle of the park. I also though Insua who has been of off form of late really had a good game and was a threat down the left hand side all game
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #140: Jan 31, 2010 03:04:35 pm
      There were definitely some Alonso defence splitting balls by Masch yesterday the one to Gerrard which the player seemed totally surprised to receive and control, was played to him with incredible accuracy.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #141: Jan 31, 2010 03:35:18 pm
      Missed most of the game but was following the tweets. Seen the goals though.

Made up we got that all important second goal. Something we've struggled to do this season and it's made us come unstuck. Was made up to see Aquilani getting that header over to Kuyt for our first. Another assist.

Three points and a clean sheet. Job done.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #142: Jan 31, 2010 04:58:41 pm
      There were definitely some Alonso defence splitting balls by Masch yesterday the one to Gerrard which the player seemed totally surprised to receive and control, was played to him with incredible accuracy.
      On his wrong foot too I believe.
      YanksOutForGood
      • Forum David Johnson

• 215 posts | -1 
      Reply #143: Jan 31, 2010 05:04:15 pm
      Is sotis the new sami

Anyone got the video of:

The heading game with Aqualiani and Mascherano i think it was...
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #144: Jan 31, 2010 05:04:54 pm
      Watched the game this morning was happy with the result, thought Masch was excellant, thought our defence looked solid barring a couple of lapses from Insua but he made up for it with his attacking play.

Have to agree with some people on here cant understand how Ngog is in the options for man of the match he was awful and I'm even more stunned that people picked him as there man of the match he couldn't control the ball. He is a better option at the moment coming off the bench.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,152 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #145: Jan 31, 2010 05:31:36 pm
      Well done Redmen, an excellent team performance and another three points to add to the tally. Thought the defence looked sound for most of the game, bar that run from Gok Wan, but it resulted in a great goal line clearance from Kyrgiakos. That's Crouch, Sidebe and now Kevin Davies in his pocket, was attacking everything all game, and it is such a joy to see a centre half attacking the ball, it breeds confidence through to the rest of the lads. Insua had a good attacking game, thought he got into some great positions, but he was caught by Gok Wan twice, and that's 2 times too many. Skrtel played alright, wouldn't say he had a stormer, but he seems a bit more settled alongside Kyrgiakos, again, due to the confidence issue. Carragher had a good game in my opinion, I know he got roasted a few times and was drawn infield quite often, but remember, that's his centre halves instinct. Thought going forward he was calm and collected and played the ball on the deck a lot more than usual. Considering he's playing out of position, I think he's doing alright. Reina was Reina, bar that Gok Wan chance, where he's improving now, is in his commanding presence. Distribution was excellent again, always looking to launch an attack, before he's even collected the ball.

I voted Kyrgiakos as my MOTM but it was such a close call for me, between Kyrgiakos and Mascherano. Thought Masch was f**king immense, he was absolutely everywhere again, whenever we're in a spot of bother in defence, Masch is always there to clean up, whether that be the right flank, the left flank or in the middle. What impressed me most about Masch was his distribution, he played some lovely 30 yarders and that break down the left flank coupled with the 30 yard cross that landed on Gerrard's toe was worth the entrance fee alone. Aquilani had a very awkward game, the lad was trying too hard and I felt sorry for him at the end. You can see in his eyes that he is eager to please the fans, but he was trying the hard stuff, instead of playing the basics. I really hope he gets a run of games because that is what he needs if he is to progress into the player we all know he is. Was nice to see Kuyt making a point of congratulating Aquilani for the assist, he could see Aquilani was looking frustrated, so he pulled him to one side and made him feel appreciated. A lovely touch from the Dutchman, it brought a tear to my eye, now that's what you F***ing call team ethic!. Thought Kuyt had a solid game, nothing spectacular, but that's Kuyt. Took his goal well, and one thing that can't be argued, Kuyt always scores important goals.

Riera played well too, bearing in mind he is still recovering from injury. His cross field ball to Insua to set up the Kuyt goal was sublime. He worked really hard and his crossing and corner taking offer us another dimension to our game. I'm really hoping he'll deliver the final product when he's back firing on all cylinders. And talking of corner taking, that brings me nicely onto the subject of Gerrard. Why on earth are we wasting him on corner duty?, with all due respect, they're not even that good! Would be much more effective lurking on the edge of the penalty area. Thought he came into his own in the second half, and was near to the driving force we have been so privileged to witness over the years. Was unlucky not to score in the second half with that thunder strike, the power he generated in that shot with such little backswing was phenomenal. He could be coming back into form at just the right time for us.

Now for David NGog. I thought he was absolutely terrible yesterday, his first touch was terrible, his hold up play was non existent and his finishing woeful. I know he's still young, but his inclusion will start to tell a different story against the bigger teams this season. Luckily for us it was Bolton, and we dominated enough of the game not to rely on those chances. Rodriguez and Lucas did well when they came on, though the game was already won by then, we bossed Bolton yesterday, physically and mentally, and not many teams will do that this season.

What's looking most promising to me at the moment, is the fact that we still have Torres and Johnson to come back. The confidence is improving and they'll find it easier to slot back in to a winning team. I just hope Rafa can give Aquilani a run of games to get his confidence up because I think we have a real gem here, I just hope he's allowed to flourish. All in all, an excellent three points and another clean sheet, it can only breed more confidence ahead of the Derby! Well in lads! :kop5cf8koxp6:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #146: Jan 31, 2010 05:48:52 pm
      Just bought the black away kit. Name on the back? Kyrgiakos, love him.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,152 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #147: Jan 31, 2010 06:00:14 pm
      Just bought the black away kit. Name on the back? Kyrgiakos, love him.

He is a F***ing Beast of a man! Kyrgiakos and Skrtel, what a monstrous pairing they are!
      YanksOutForGood
      • Forum David Johnson

• 215 posts | -1 
      Reply #148: Jan 31, 2010 06:34:58 pm
      I want pacheco on the back of mine but will wait till he stays

<3
      Dani
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #149: Jan 31, 2010 06:57:56 pm
      Good solid performance and a well deserved 3 points .Looking really strong at the back and was good to see Aquilani getting into the box and thought Mascherano was brilliant.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #150: Feb 01, 2010 01:45:17 am
      Still F***ing buzzing, simply because of how good we were. Haven't seen us play that well for some time - probably the best performance since the destruction of United at Anfield.

What's pleasing me most, especially at the back, is we seem much more certain in our decisions. We're not dallying or going into challenges/clearances/tackles tentatively. We're going into them knowing we're gonna win it. Reina has been superb at this of late. The only slight criticisms I had of Pepe was he doesn't command his box in a way he could and that he didn't come and claim the ball, well he's been doing both of late. The clean sheets are mounting up because of it as well as the fantastic pairing of Skrtel and Sotis. The Stoke game was the best I've seen Reina coming and getting rid of every ball but whenever he had to do it against Bolton - he did.

Midfield controlled the game without really penetrating. Again one of the few criticisms I had of Masch was his reluctance to doing anything with attacking intent, that certainly wasn't apparent against Bolton. Some of the passes he played were fantastic, performances like that is what he should be doing week in week out - he's certainly capable of doing so.

Up top Ngog's touch and link up was poor, which he really needs to work on if he's to become a better centre forward. But his willingness to chase and fight for the ball as well as being in goalscoring positions (even if against Bolton he didn't finish the chances) is pleasing to see. It's when forwards start hiding and aren't even missing chances that I start to worry. If he's in the position to miss, then I won't be too critical of the lad.

My man of the match award went to Insua for the fact that's he copped so much stick of late and how Aurelio should be ahead of him yet he's stuck at it and returned to the form that actually made him our first choice left back. The last few games he's really looking much more solid. Along with the entire back four, he's getting much more comfortable playing regularly with the same players.

Every side is built from the back and we've finally returned to being a hard to break down team. That's what we've missing since the season began, a solid back line. We've finally got it and now we're getting the results because of it. It hasn't made us any less fluent going forward as against Stoke we had chances to win while against both Spurs and Bolton we had chances to win by a much bigger margin. We've finally got a balance and that's why we're on this run of good results.

The Bolton game has given us exactly what we needed going into the derby next week. Form counts for nothing in derby games but it's still great to go into the match brimming with confidence. If we play anything like we did against Bolton, then those bitter blue cu*ts will be yet again seeing their second rate side beaten by the biggest side in this city, country and world.

Three more points on our quest to hunt down the fourth spot. And despite us having such a terrible season while Spurs, Villa and City have all had incredible seasons (apparently) we're still only a point off fourth. This time next month we'll be fourth (at least) and instead of looking at the likes of Spurs, Villa or City, we'll be looking up at the prospect of catching Chelsea, United and firstly Arsenal.

I'm a very happy lad tonight, just like I was last night and just like I will be tomorrow night.

Ta Redmen, you've did us proud against Bolton. Now build on it and do the same against Everton.
      baa-aah
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #151: Feb 01, 2010 03:11:21 am
      Insua lads, despite the goal....worries me....he got burned few times there today and as we know for some time now...prefer aurelio there just seems more solid....mascherano was unbelievable defensively and some those passes were alonso-esque!
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #152: Feb 01, 2010 04:53:28 am
      played with passion and worked hard thats what we want to see every week. the big greek is working out to be a gem
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #153: Feb 01, 2010 09:22:21 am
      Think Ive watched that match three times now.. Quality. Could have been 4-0. Thats more like the line up we should have had against Wolves.
      Who would have thought Kyrgiakos a bargain buy forced due to lack of budgets would be so instrumental in turning the season around. Now his real test will be keeping Cahill out of the game next weekend.
      Think most of the players performed well. Hopefully Ngog can shake off the match and stick a few in against Everton but that depends on whether or not Lucas is brought in.. In which case Ngog might be the one to drop out. Disappointed to see Babel get the nod ahead of Pacheco. Once again the man cant hold on to the ball under pressure.
      Riera had a good game although I think Maxis movement was great when he came on and wouldnt mind him starting on the left so he can talk to Insua and Mascherano on that side. Glad to see the skipper getting back to form although it is disturbing to see two teams in a row man mark him.
      Stick him out right or in the middle and that tactic becomes useless. MOTM Kyrgiakos again for me.. oh and who said Mascherano couldnt put some long passes through. Great game from the monstor and what a pass to Gerrard.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #154: Feb 01, 2010 09:26:12 am
      Was lucky enough to get to the game at the weekend. First half was average enough, but the second half was brilliant, we played some sublime stuff at times.

MOM was a toss up between Kyrgiakos and Masch, both were outstanding. Stevie showed glimpses of class that showed he could be getting back to his best  Big Martin and Carra were solid, and i would agree with most peoples take on Aquilani.  He really seems to be trying too hard, maybe to justify his transfer fee, but he was frustrating to watch at times.  I hope he does get a run though, cos i think he could be an assett to us.

The left is an area of concern for me.  I thought Insua had a poor game, and was surprised he got some votes for MOM. He done well going forward, but he is suspect at defending, and got caught a few times by very ordinary players. IMO he isn't progressing as well as i'd hoped.  I also thought Lucas done a great job when he came on, he really controlled the midfield and looked confident and assured.

Finally, the referee Steve Bennett, was atrocious, no wonder Masch was gonna tw*t him at old toilet!

All in all, a lot to be positive about, 3 points and a clean sheet...cant ask for more than that!

Cuttsy888
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 295 posts |
      Reply #155: Feb 01, 2010 09:27:23 am
      Were looking gd now insua played a blinder, the greek is amazing
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #156: Feb 01, 2010 11:07:40 am

The left is an area of concern for me. 

Think Maxi could solve that problem along with a fit Benni
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #157: Feb 01, 2010 11:13:35 am
      I didnt see the game but whats this about Mash & Aqui keeping possession with their heads - has anyone got a link?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #158: Feb 01, 2010 11:18:24 am
      I didnt see the game but whats this about Mash & Aqui keeping possession with their heads - has anyone got a link?

Its in the picture thread and it was Aquilani and Kyrgiakos
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #159: Feb 01, 2010 11:20:56 am
      Thanks mate.

Just had a look but where is it, I cant find anything about it?

OK - found it, was on the wrong board...!

3rd time I have edited this message now.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #160: Feb 01, 2010 11:34:32 am
      good performance, good result, everything that is expected.

Back 4 were solid and Mascherano was brilliant like many have already mentioned. Insua has lost a yard of pace though. Last season i didn't really pick up on Insuas lack of pace but this season its there too see. Its worrying at times. Put a nippy winger up against Insua and we could find ourseleves in abit of sh*t.

Thought Aquilani was poor, some of his passing was bloody awful at times. Ngog struggled at times too, he hasn't got the physical presence about him to play the likes of Bolton and i think he would be more comfortable playing with a second striker. Still looks like a hot prospect to me though.

Good warm up game for the derby that though and i think we'll absolutely murder everton on saturday. Come on you reds.

Quick Reply