Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

You know how it feels now Rafa! Everton boss "The Chosen One" dig at Benitez

Read 4259 times
      RedLFCBlood
      You know how it feels now Rafa! Everton boss "The Chosen One" dig at Benitez
      Feb 06, 2010 09:31:19 am
      You know how it feels now Rafa! Everton boss "The Chosen One" dig at Benitez over cash ahead of Liverpool derby

The Daily Mail

"The Chosen One" took exception to hearing Everton derided as 'a small club' three years ago and was in no mood to pass up the chance of a retaliatory strike against Rafa Benitez ahead of Saturday's Merseyside derby at Anfield.

Benitez may have felt he was speaking from a position of strength, financially at least, when his frustration led him to belittle Everton's status after they defied Liverpool in a goalless draw in February 2007.

The put-down still rankles Evertonians and could come back to haunt the Liverpool manager after a decline in fiscal fortunes that has not gone unnoticed at Goodison Park.

Reflecting on the way Liverpool have had to tighten their belts since the arrival of co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, Moyes could not resist a wry smile.

Relishing the prospect of further denting Liverpool's Champions League hopes, he accused them of living beyond their means throughout Benitez's reign and claimed his side were now close to parity.

'I still think we go into the game as underdogs but things do seem to be changing,' said the Everton manager, who has handed striker Louis Saha a new two-year contract on £55,000 a week.

'We have found it difficult to match them because they have had a decade of overspending.

'There are signs, though, that they are going to find themselves faced with the sort of situation we have had to cope with. For eight or nine years we have had to deal at a different level yet still be judged on equal terms on the pitch.

'When you look at the recent changes they have had to contend with, maybe things are closer now. Apart from finances, we have a lot of players beginning to hit top form and we are going there with confidence.

'We have played really well against Manchester City, Arsenal and Chelsea, so while we have respect for Liverpool, I really do feel we can give them a good game.'

Everton are unbeaten in the Barclays Premier League since an unlucky 2-0 loss to Liverpool at the end of November, and the thought of the run continuing is keeping Jamie Carragher awake at night.

Nothing sets the Liverpool centre back's nerves on edge as much as facing the side he supported as a boy.

'This is the one game where you would take any kind of performance as long as you won,' he said.

'I struggle to sleep before most big games, but the derby is the one that affects me the worst. It's going to have to be a sleeping pill, I think.

'There is always that little bit of anxiety that comes from the fear of losing, and it doesn't get any easier as you get older.

'Whenever Everton beat us in the Nineties, the accusation was always that they wanted it more, so I'm glad we have turned that round a bit with our record over the past decade.

'For me, the derby is always the biggest game of the season. You have to guard against letting the occasion get to you too much.'

Carragher's pre-match jitters may not have been helped by a blunt admission from Benitez that Liverpool cannot afford to lose if they are to stay in the race for fourth place.

Benitez played down suggestions of an uneasy relationship with Moyes. 'I always go to see him after a game, if I can, and he was in my room after the game three years ago,' he said.

'Our relationship is normal. I don't have any problem with him. 'Everton have been close to the top four in recent years and are improving this season. Every game is really important for us now, and this derby is going to be extra special, because we are in that position where we have to win.'

YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Re: You know how it feels now Rafa! Everton boss "The Chosen One" dig at Benitez
      Reply #1: Feb 06, 2010 10:05:34 am
      Let's be honest here, does anyone really care what Moyes has to say? Me neither ;)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: You know how it feels now Rafa! Everton boss "The Chosen One" dig at Benitez
      Reply #2: Feb 06, 2010 12:01:51 pm
      Whenever i see Moyes i always think "Now there's a man who really should take his face for a sh*te"  :-\
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3: Feb 06, 2010 12:06:10 pm
      Read this a little while back.

Rafa will be sure to shove it up ya in the post match press conference, champ.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Feb 06, 2010 12:25:23 pm
      What do you expect to hear from a small club only jibes at any possible chance
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5: Feb 06, 2010 05:25:29 pm
      Shut up you dumbass.

Double ;)
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #6: Feb 06, 2010 05:35:54 pm
      Moyes you're whack, get over your ugly appearance.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #7: Feb 06, 2010 06:45:49 pm
      Como?
      Cally
      • Banned

• 83 posts | -7 
      Reply #8: Feb 06, 2010 07:43:44 pm
      The more he harps on about our spending the more he deflects from his own reign and their embarrasing mis-management at board level for as long as I can remember. Their gullible fans lap it up and continue to blame us for all their woes. The Kirkby saga (second failed stadium in 5 years) summed them up...smalltime.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #9: Feb 06, 2010 08:05:22 pm

Everton = Also rans

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #10: Feb 06, 2010 08:49:31 pm
      Whenever I see Moyes I always think "Now there's a man who really should take his face for a sh*te"  :-\

:lmao:
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #11: Feb 06, 2010 08:57:37 pm
      Everton? Oh yea I remember now, mints. ;D
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #12: Feb 06, 2010 09:00:59 pm
      Think Rafa may have had a sneeky dig today in the pre-match interview.

"What's your favourite thing about derby day Rafa?"

"Winning"

Made me chuckle that.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #13: Feb 06, 2010 09:18:32 pm

"Winning"

Made me chuckle that.

Seriously LMFAO, gotta love the guy!
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #14: Feb 09, 2010 05:40:08 pm

"Winning"

Made me chuckle that.

Classic, someone should do a thread about Rafa quotes. He has come out with some belters over the years.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #15: Feb 09, 2010 05:42:52 pm

"Winning"

Made me chuckle that.

I need to find this interview!

Seriously LMFAO, gotta love the guy!

He's was just born to manage this club! F***ing brilliant.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #16: Feb 09, 2010 05:46:30 pm
      I need to find this interview!

He's was just born to manage this club! F***ing brilliant.

It was literally a 20/30 second snippet - same with Moyes right before kick-off.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,326 posts | 773 
      Reply #17: Feb 09, 2010 09:22:54 pm
      Has Moyes ever won anything as a manager?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #18: Feb 09, 2010 09:32:18 pm

FA Cup Runners Up medal 8)
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,326 posts | 773 
      Reply #19: Feb 09, 2010 09:59:56 pm
      In other words sweet FA!
      sqirg
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 160 posts |
      Reply #20: Feb 09, 2010 10:42:43 pm
      Jealous Jealous Moyes!
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 191 
      Reply #21: Feb 09, 2010 11:30:54 pm
      Waaaaaaaa Waaaaaaaaaa Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #22: Feb 09, 2010 11:33:23 pm

A talent show as one of the Proclaimers?

Quick Reply