Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Geting rid of Rick Parry

Read 2299 times
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 336 posts | -2 
      Geting rid of Rick Parry
      May 26, 2007 06:01:07 pm
      Just wandering what peoples thoughts are on this one really.

There is definitely not a good working relationship with Rafa, seems as if his apparent lack of finishing skills in the transfer market and other such Chief Exec duties have been found seriously wanting, you can also include how long it took to find new investment, the fact that he didn't challenge the current planning permission ruling that the new stadium would not be able to increase the capacity at a later date (now part of the new plans that have been resubmitted by Hicks/Gillett) and the laughable amounts of money we have ended up getting from sponsorship deals all this shows his incompetency, he should be shown the door at a suitable time and someone else with experience brought in to work the footballing business a long side Foster Gillett.

Thoughts ?
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Geting rid of Rick Parry
      Reply #1: May 26, 2007 06:17:26 pm
      Personally I feel the problems with closing transfers in the past has been down to the fact that we've been restricted financially & have had to haggle for every penny, hopefully with the new owners this shouldn't be a problem anymore. With regards to the sale of the club, I don't believe this was Parry's fault, it was the fact that David Moores wouldn't sell the club to anyone he believed wasn't right, an approach that I believe is entirely correct & shows Moores' love for the club. I would agree that sponsorship deals haven't been the greatest so far, and is an area we need to improve, but apart from that Parry has had his hands tied with regards to the other issues. If these problems were to continue now however, there's no doubting that he needs to be shown the door.
      Stu503
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #2: May 26, 2007 07:10:53 pm
      There seem to be big problems between Parry and Benitez after Rafas comments the other day about talking and talking and never finishing deals.  The whole interview seemed to be largely directed at Rick Parry.  I really wouldn't know if Parry does a good job or not, we can only judge on the things that are more public or high profile and even then we probably all have different opinions.  If there are problems though, between the two, then there can only be one winner and i think most, if not all fans would agree on who.  Also, the Americans are very inteligent businessmen and if they feel a change is needed then i think they will be pretty ruthless about it and want to move things on as efficiently and quickly as possible.
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 336 posts | -2 
      Reply #3: May 27, 2007 11:35:12 am
      Found this today in the times. slightly worrying and as i was saying about parry, what ever his strenghs if rafa doesn't trust him he got to go.

Power vacuum
      Angry Rafa Benitez can’t sign players – because there is nobody at Anfield to write a chequeJonathan Northcroft
      Rafael Benitez kept blowing his nose as he spoke to the press on Thursday. His complaints about the transfer inertia of his football club’s hierarchy were caustic; a savaging with sniffles. In the lobby of Athens’ Pentelikon Hotel sat Steven Gerrard, ashen, bent forward, chin resting on folded arms. The strain of losing a Champions League final attacked manager and captain physically.

You are supposed never to walk alone at Liverpool. You celebrate and suffer as one, but infuriating Benitez was a feeling he had been deserted. Tom Hicks, George Gillett and their families were already on their way home to the US. Benitez made it clear he no longer believed Rick Parry could deliver signings: what about Gillett’s son, Foster, installed by the new owners to run Anfield? “Yes,” glowered Benitez, “but he is not here now.” Foster was on the plane with Pops. When did Benitez need him? “Today.”

Liverpool finished 2006-07 not only trophyless but with a power vacuum swirling at its heart. Benitez’s polemic about the need to spend big and change the club’s “structure” after defeat by Milan was more than just an attack on Parry, as it was reported. The manager has succeeded, with his usual painstaking effort, in coaxing at least two “top-class targets” to the verge of joining Liverpool, only to have to keep them waiting while superiors dally. Benitez spent a long time hinting to journalists at the root problem until finally being pinned down. He kept saying he trusted Hicks and Gillett’s promise to fund signings, so why no transfers? Is the money in Liverpool’s bank account, but there is nobody to sign the cheques? “Okay,” Benitez nodded. “You know.”

The manager has grown apart from Parry, Anfield’s chief executive, over several issues, including Liverpool being committed to two friendly tournaments, in Holland and Asia, this preseason. Benitez suggested Parry no longer has authority to push transfers through. Foster Gillett will not be Liverpool’s managing director until August. With Parry a lame duck and power held by absentee barons without their own man on the ground, the club feels paralysed. “We can improve the squad, but we have to do it now. It’s a crucial time. We can’t say, ‘We’ll see what happens in August’. Then you will lose your targets,” Benitez said.

Background
      Fans feared Athens tragedy
      He may seem like the avuncular propietario of a neighbourhood tapas bar but Benitez is as political as Jose Mourinho. On the surface throwing barbs at Gillett and Hicks seems unwise, given the my-way-or-the-high-way culture of American business leaders, but Benitez’s attack was carefully worked out. The Americans’ strategy relies on building a new Anfield, with a 70,000-plus capacity, and they need the fans with them. But the supporters are with Benitez and so are the players, Jamie Carragher and Gerrard especially.

Rather than admonishing him, the Americans have already moved to placate Benitez. Late on Friday there was a transatlantic conference call involving Foster and George Gillett, Hicks and his son Tommy, Parry and Benitez. “We had a long call and agreed on actions to be taken with our own players and with possible new players and we are all comfortable with our plan,” said Tom Hicks. He excused Benitez’s ire in Athens: “He was very upset the day after the match.”

Benitez’s challenge to the owners is to back up their words with action. The current stasis is affecting Liverpool’s most important players. Despite reports that Gerrard and Carragher had extended their contracts, nothing has been finalised. There is delay over new deals for Xabi Alonso and Jose Reina. On Wednesday night in Athens, Benitez held a powwow with Gerrard, Carragher, Reina and Alonso. They are his inner circle, the players around whom he sees Liverpool’s future being built. “We were talking about the game, the quality of the opposition players, the tactics we had. Xabi, Reina, Gerrard, Carra want to know that you have good players ready to sign. The problem is if we spend time, if we waste time, we can’t sign the players we want,” said Benitez.

Were Gerrard and company as “frustrated and angry” as he? “Yes. The players must be happy and have confidence in the team.” Should Liverpool worry about losing some of the quartet if the impasse over new contracts continues? “Could be. Because they are good players and they could have some offers.”

Benitez is about to go on holiday for a week but will continue working via his mobile phone and said he would be “disappointed” if at least one new signing is not clinched by the time he gets back. His previous three seasons at Liverpool make him pessimistic. A lack of funds in the pre-American era, coupled with what Benitez sees as Parry’s less-than-dynamic modus operandi, saw the manager put a deal in place for Nemanja Vidic, only to be gazumped by Manchester United. Simao Sabrosa was so keen to join Liverpool last summer he was sending messages to Benitez until transfer deadline day, but ended up staying at Benfica. He is back on Benitez’s shopping list along with Gabriel Milito, Jefferson Farfan, David Silva, David Villa and Samuel Eto’o.

Athens exposed the best and worst of the present Liverpool. Through effort rather than technical flourishes they had Milan pinned down until Filippo Inzaghi’s lucky opener. Yet they are also limited, lacking invention and personnel to alter a defensive gameplan at 1-0 down.

If Benitez gets the big money and quick action he wants, especially after being so bolshie, it will be his make-or-break moment. The idea he has already spent £100m is creative accounting by his critics. Benitez’s net spending is £44m over three seasons. For that he has twice finished above Arsenal and won as many trophies as Manchester United. “You must be clear. I am happy with the new owners. I trust them and they want to finish as high as possible because they are winners – this is one thing I like about them. But they need to understand the business here. We have just signed Lucas Leiva, a top-class midfielder, 20, the Golden Boot in Brazil. There was another big club after him but we did a fantastic job. It’s not always a question of the amount you pay, but how quickly you move.”

REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #4: May 29, 2007 12:15:06 pm
      With the yanks bringing in their sons to over see things,its difficult to see what Mr Parry is going to do.Lets face it he was bought into sort the commerical side of the club out,and to me we don't appear to be any further forward,were light years behind the urinals in terms of selling our gear across the globe.Lets hope the Americans can push us forward.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #5: May 31, 2007 08:52:24 pm
      Can somebody answer me this question.

When did Parry chief executive and have we won the league since he's been there?

I believe we haven't and I'm not saying that its his fault, but I believe success starts from management down.

Please correct me if I'm wrong
      I like this thread. 

Because I think its down to Rick Parry, why we have slipped behind Man Ure.  We should have a TV channel and should be the largest club in the World. 

I think we should be reviewing his position, we need someone who knows how to market the Liverpool Brand.  What do you think?
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #6: May 31, 2007 09:35:26 pm
      Just 4 words :-

Rick Parry's an ar*se   ;)
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #7: Jun 02, 2007 05:44:32 pm
      Just posted a little story about him in the Simao thread.

But, I don't think he will be there long.  Wait until the new American owners have their feet under the table and then they will get rid of him. We'll probably get someone even worse though - like Brian Barwick.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #8: Jun 02, 2007 07:11:36 pm
      I was just thinking about Cisse, and something hit me. How did we end up having to wait an extra year to sign him AND having to pay an extra ÂŁ2m? The original price was ÂŁ12m, another great piece of business there.
      stevelfc1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #9: Jun 03, 2007 07:32:55 am
      Yawn!  ::) Same old thoughts and no substance again.

Nobody knows the facts and everyone is just looking for a scapegoat as usual.

If Parry left tomorrow it would make F**k all difference to where we are right now.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #10: Jun 03, 2007 11:07:09 am
      Yawn!  ::) Same old thoughts and no substance again.

Nobody knows the facts and everyone is just looking for a scapegoat as usual.

If Parry left tomorrow it would make fu*k all difference to where we are right now.

You're right, no-one knows all the facts, but everyone does know that it's Rafa's job to identify the players & Parry's to get the business done, so if Rafa's identifying players but they're not signing the buck has to stop with Parry.
      stevelfc1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #11: Jun 03, 2007 11:02:39 pm
      You're right, no-one knows all the facts, but everyone does know that it's Rafa's job to identify the players & Parry's to get the business done, so if Rafa's identifying players but they're not signing the buck has to stop with Parry.

Ok so fair enough but when you concider the David Moores had to dip into his own pocket plast summer for 9m to land Dirk Kuyt then you see the extent to which our fnanaces were stretched before the Yanks came on board.

Yeah Parry is the man commanded with getting out there to get Rafa's men but he obviously has to work within a budget and is loath to send the club down the Leeds United rout of skinting themselves beyond their means.

Far too many fans are blind to this and think Liverpool should have been out there splashing millions on players totally disregarding the fact that we were skint.

Now Parry may have his shortcomings, I don't know and neither do any of you. but in time if he's not up to the job he'll soon be moved out. But its all If's and buts right now and until we know the facts im not gonna jump on any sack parry bandwagon.

On the budget we've had compared with the rest of the top teams Liverpool have done as well as if not better than they should have.

Some Liverpool fans scream for the League title as if its our devine right, it aint! You earn it and quite frankly right now we aint up to scratch, we havnt been able to compete for the best players therefore don't have the best team therefore we finished 3rd which on true reflection is our rightful place at the moment.

Its hard to accept having been brought up on success but its a reality we have to accept. With the new money about to be invested in the team the only way is up hopefully so lets just stop looking for a scapegoat, move on and look to the future with hope and not sceptasism.

Good article on .TV by Paul Tomkins explaining much the same http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/NG156087070603-0752.htm

Loses the point a bit towards the end with all the stats but the overall point should listened to.
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 336 posts | -2 
      Reply #12: Jun 04, 2007 12:26:38 am
      stevelfc1 im sorry pal but your arguments are floored, the reason parry came to liverpool was to be charged with marketing liverpool as a brand on a world stage to best sell our undoubted popularity 2nd only to Man U, he has never done anything close to that made dreadful decisions with sponsors and the amounts of money that came from those deals. so while your right with regards to not taking us down the leeds utd road if he had done a better job marketing liverpool to potential sponsors in the US, Asia etc we would have been able to afford the top dollar transfers years ago thus not having to go for at times 2nd raters !
      stevelfc1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #13: Jun 04, 2007 09:20:50 am
      stevelfc1 im sorry pal but your arguments are floored, the reason parry came to liverpool was to be charged with marketing liverpool as a brand on a world stage to best sell our undoubted popularity 2nd only to Man U, he has never done anything close to that made dreadful decisions with sponsors and the amounts of money that came from those deals. so while your right with regards to not taking us down the leeds utd road if he had done a better job marketing liverpool to potential sponsors in the US, Asia etc we would have been able to afford the top dollar transfers years ago thus not having to go for at times 2nd raters !

Parry was never brought in with the specific task of marketing Liverpool as a brand! He was never that kind of person! He has never been or will ever a kenyon type person!

He was brought in to be the public face of LFC ahead of the media reluctant David Moores, he was brough in for his Chief executive skills having been well respected working for the FA before his arival at anfield,

However i do agree that he is responsible along with everyone at Anfield for Liverpool's fall behind the likes of Man Ure in this department but to single him out is just unfair!

He was brought in as a chief exec not a marketing genius, thats never been his field.

Liverpool have just been a club stuck in the past for too long and its only recently that we've started to shake some of that feeling. United streaked ahead of us marketing wise in the 90's and we sat back rested on our laurels for too long. That is indeed Moores, Parry's and every other Director and shareholders fault.

But I believe these people worked with the best intentions, mistakes where made and we're still paying for them.

This goes back to Dalglish leavin mate, the appointment of Souness as boss, the dependancy on the old bootroom ere puttig Evans in there and then the Houllier transfer fund disaster.

My point being that there is nothing to be gained by looking to the past and trying to find a scapegoat, better to look forward and build on up.

There is definitely not a good working relationship with Rafa,

Where is the proof of this? Rafa may have spoken out saying he needs backing in the months ahead but never once has he sugested he cant work with Parry.
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 336 posts | -2 
      Reply #14: Jun 04, 2007 11:27:21 am
      stevelfc1
      your head is well and truly in the sand if you cant see there is not a great relationship with rafa and i think you'll find parry was brought in to turn liverpool into a more marketable force a long with the advent of sky etc (part of that involves marketing the club on a world scale). . .

to say that he came into the club because of the media reluctant David Moores is rubbish, parry took over as chief exec from peter robinson so no liverpool chairman has ever had to be the media spoke person for this club !

no one is putting all the blame on to parry but as the chief exec he has to take the lion share of the blame as these roles form the basis for his job !
      mingles
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • GOD, THE NATION AND LIVERPOOL
      Reply #15: Jun 04, 2007 02:40:12 pm
      I really don't believe Rick will be heading Liverpool that long.I envisage some changes in the liv'pool setup soon.But i trust the American owners.They've been succesful in any venture they've undertaken.I believe they will do whats best for the club
      stevelfc1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #16: Jun 05, 2007 08:32:45 am
      I really don't believe Rick will be heading Liverpool that long.I envisage some changes in the liv'pool setup soon.But I trust the American owners.They've been succesful in any venture they've undertaken.I believe they will do whats best for the club

I agree and cant see Parry lasting long especially with Hicks and Gillette's son's sniffing around. maybe thats whay im not arsed about the parry situation.

Im not burrying my head in the sand, I just dont see the point of looking for a scapegoat, whats gonna be achieved by sacking Parry? who's replaces him?

At the same time I'd have worries about the yanks doin this role cos of their lack of ingrained knowledge of the game so in my eyes until I hear FACTS about a bad relationship between rafa and parry im not gonna jump on the sack him bandwagon
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #17: Jun 05, 2007 09:29:55 am
      Is it slick Rick's fault, the new owners or a combination of both? I don't know but I do know that a lot of confusion now seems to be hanging over the club so much so that some people are convinced Rafa is unhappy and are placing bets that he wont be in charge come August! Now whilst I don't think it's got quite as bad as that something is definitely amiss at Anfield as ever since Athens their seems to be a doom and gloom atmosphere among some of the fans and the media yes a lot of this started as fallout from a defeat we shouldn't have suffered but a couple of weeks down the line and questions are still to be answered, questions that arose mainly because of Rafa’s post match interview the day after the final where he looked tired and totally fed up as he spoke about how the team is treading water and not making any progress due to the lack of support and funding in the transfer market.
      The new owners have only been in official control since the end of March so are hardly to blame for past mistakes but Rick Parry has been at the club for about ten years now and is responsible for most of our financial dealings and he is not just a figure head who took the place of the shy and retiring David Moores in the public face of the media, this is the man who has just negotiated a ÂŁ20m three year shirt sponsorship extension with Carlsberg and its a deal that falls some way short of what our competitors are picking up Mr Parry has failed to deliver in his role as C.E. as he is always slow to react to situations that need his immediate attention, didn't he help cause the misunderstanding that nearly cost us Steven Gerrard? Also whether you wanted him back or not Michael Owen on the last day of the transfer window was desperately trying to contact Parry regarding a possible move to Liverpool instead of his second choice Newcastle but he failed to reach him as he was at the Cinema with his phone turned off! My problem with Rick Parry is whilst he has been our C.E. LFC have failed to progress on and off the pitch and whilst he may not be involved in everything at the club surely as our chief exec he must know all that goes on and so is to blame indirectly? And finally whilst his track record proves him to be indecisive this time he had better buck his ideas up or it could cost us a bloody good manager.
      « Last Edit: Jun 05, 2007 09:44:31 am by Glenbuck »
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #18: Jun 11, 2007 08:49:37 pm
      anyone that wants rick out, is not a true liverpool fan and a scummy utd fan!!
      The man that brought rafa in and will win the league in two years time.

Why are we 'scummy utd fans' ????
      Why are we 'not true Liverpool fans' ????

What a stupid statement.

Rick Parry was brought into Liverpool Football Club, to drive us forward in the marketing stakes.
      He was Mr Big from Sky, and could deliver Liverpool a fortune by promoting our club around the world.
      What has he done ?, What did he do when we won in Istanbul ?
      I'll tell you what he's done - Jack sh*t.

Another thing about him also, he couldn't arrange a piss up in a brewery - look at the ticket fiasco for Athens.
      What has he done for sticking up for US supporters who were blamed for the trouble in Athens ? - lick Platini's arse !!
      At least Hicks had the balls to stick up for us.
      Parry is an embarrassment to Liverpool supporters.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #19: Jun 11, 2007 10:15:49 pm
      Maybe the americans have allocated a substancial fund.  Imagine they put forward an 80m fund for new transfers as part of their deal.  Parry doesn't want all of it available to benitez this year and would like to divide it with annual profits over a few years.  Benitez wants to spend most of it instantly now obviously there is going to be a difference of opinion between a manager and CEO. 

Quick Reply