Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Arsenal v Liverpool - 10th Feb 2010 (Pre-match Thread)

Read 13161 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Arsenal v Liverpool - 10th Feb 2010 (Pre-match Thread)
      Feb 07, 2010 07:32:56 pm
      Date: 10th  Feb 2010      

Time: 19:45

Venue: Emirates

The prospect of serving Arsenal their third straight loss is so real.

There is no game that is more real than this. Arsenal were lucky to win at Anfield in a game we played better but defended poorly.

This is the perfect time to pull their skirt up and begin the process of  returning them to the 4th place where they really belong.

Unflinchingly Liverpool FC
      « Last Edit: Feb 09, 2010 12:27:46 am by solodee »
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,287 posts | 936 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: Arsenal FC vs Liverpool FC -10th Feb 2010 (Pre-match Thread)
      Reply #1: Feb 07, 2010 07:35:49 pm
      Looking forward to this we are looking stronger, Arsenal may be a bit of a woonded animal, should be a good game.
      « Last Edit: Feb 07, 2010 07:49:15 pm by smigger15 »
      Cally
      • Banned

• 83 posts | -7 
      Re: Arsenal FC vs Liverpool FC - 10th Feb 2010 (Pre-match Thread)
      Reply #2: Feb 07, 2010 07:38:15 pm
      I'm hoping Arsenal are shot mentally and we can nick a win, but we do seem to struggle believing we can go there and get a result, other than grinding out a draw. It would be absolutely boss though and I think if we pulled it off we'd get 3rd.

I'd go:

Reina

Carra Skrtel Agger Aurelio

Maxi Aqualini Masch Riera

Gerrard

Kuyt
      « Last Edit: Feb 07, 2010 07:49:43 pm by smigger15 »
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Re: Arsenal FC vs Liverpool FC (Pre-match Thread)
      Reply #3: Feb 07, 2010 08:03:11 pm
      We'll have to be on our guard here, as having lost against the Mancs and the Chavs, the Arse will be looking to kick someones butt, hopefully its not ours !
      Based on recent form we're well capable of nicking this one just as they did against us at Anfield !
      I've been very brave and equally as bold when it's come to my prediction, 3-2 to us.

yoyo-yoyo
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 151 posts | -1 
      Re: Arsenal FC vs Liverpool FC 10th Feb 2010 (Pre-match Thread)
      Reply #4: Feb 07, 2010 08:08:36 pm
      hope we dont sit back on this one, need to be in their faces.  it would be a shame to undo all the work of previous weeks
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #5: Feb 07, 2010 08:10:07 pm
      How to beat Arsenal?

Set Pieces or Counter Attack!!!!!

There is no reason to take our game to Arsenal.. Let them come, and come to attack us... but let our warriors, shield our defence... and hit them on the break..

Got a great feeling for this one.

0-2

Gerrard, Ngog

wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #6: Feb 07, 2010 08:38:30 pm
      we have everything going for us major confidence and our record is looking pretty impressive. i believe we win by the odd goal but we need those  3 points. it wont be easy but if we play with passion and committment its ours. every player has seemed to up there game face
      redcraig
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 172 posts | 14 
      Reply #7: Feb 07, 2010 08:47:45 pm
      Ironically I think that after the way yesterdays game turned out it might be quite similar on wed. They will have posession and try and play through us but if we are organised like we were against the Blushite then it will be much harder for them. I don't see any way that Aqualani will start. Lucas and Masch will be in there to protect. I would still go with Maxi and he showed a few nice touches when he must have been wondering what the hell was goiing on around him.
      3 points would be absolutely huge for us and we couldn't be getting them at a better time this season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8: Feb 07, 2010 08:54:44 pm
      Perfect time to play them, they are on a bad run and we are now getting on a good run. Lets keep it this way.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Re: Arsenal v Liverpool - 10th Feb 2010 (Pre-match Thread)
      Reply #9: Feb 07, 2010 09:04:16 pm
      Few things against us winning.

1. Arsenal have lost their last two games - doubt they will lose 3 on the spin.

2. We have a sh*t record at the Emirates.

3. We've got no boss Greek defender.

Hate to be pessimistic old bugger but I think the best we can go for is a draw. Mind you, we did win the derby with ten men.

Anything could happen, we could be on the end of a hiding, or we could land ourselves a victory.  A point would be nice, three points would be fantastic, but if we get beat it won't be totally unexpected.

Just as we looked far better than Arsenal last year they have looked much better than us this season. Saying all that - considering the media have been all over Arsenal, we are only 5 points behind.
      Cally
      • Banned

• 83 posts | -7 
      Reply #10: Feb 07, 2010 09:05:02 pm
      I don't see any way that Aqualani will start

Yes, it will be a bit too physical for him. Lets just wrap him in cotton wool and charge people to gawp at him to get our money's worth.

Lucas's defensive contribution is vastly overplayed, and from what I've seen of Aqualini he's quite prepared to get about and stick his foot in, aswell as get on the ball and dictate the tempo, which is something we badly need. If we need to go there and win we need to create chances and I say we have a better chance of that with Aqualini in the side. And if we need to shore things up later on then you can then bring Lucas on. If he can't play in a game like this then I just don't see the point of signing him.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #11: Feb 07, 2010 09:07:24 pm
      Arsenal won't exactly be brimming with confidence at the moment. Perfect time to play them.

I think they'll be tough, though. Wenger won't want to lose 3 on the spin.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #12: Feb 07, 2010 09:16:03 pm
      I reckon we can take them, we deserved to win the last one against them.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #13: Feb 07, 2010 09:38:07 pm
      Will be interesting to see if Aquilani gets the nod in this.

I think Gerrard could find things difficult with Song anchoring their midfield.

Maybe the attackers will be instructed to rotate positions.

I think it's important that we have wingers though - Sagna and Clichy can get very exposed and the Arsenal defence as a whole has been found out over the past couple of games.

Not sure about N'Gog starting this one though - maybe Kuyt up front with Riera and Maxi on the wings?
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #14: Feb 07, 2010 09:40:02 pm
      It'll be tough this one. I agree with everything JD said. Would love to see my 2-1 prediction come true!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #15: Feb 07, 2010 09:41:42 pm
      Worst time to play this one IMO.

Think we'll either get the draw or just nick the points.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #16: Feb 07, 2010 09:44:29 pm
      Arshavin - hope we keep the little f**ker quiet. Would be good to have Sotis in some ways 'cause he could clobber him early doors. Then again he may have found it extremely difficult against Arsenal anyway. Might work in our favour that we'll have centre backs who are more mobile.

Won't be surprised to see us playing counter-attack football. Can work wonders against these when done right.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #17: Feb 07, 2010 10:49:46 pm
      Play one holding midfielder - Mascherano

Riera on the left and Maxi on the Right. Introduce Ngog and Babel as impact subs.

Best Line-up:

Reina
      Carragher Skrtel Agger Insua
                Mascherano
          Maxi Aquilani Riera
                Gerrard
                 Kuyt
      « Last Edit: Feb 07, 2010 11:12:23 pm by solodee »
      DC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #18: Feb 07, 2010 10:58:28 pm
      How to beat Arsenal?

Set Pieces or Counter Attack!!!!!

This is exactly why I'm pretty down beat about this game.

Our attacking set pieces are not the greatest (Kuyts recent exception proves the rule!) and without torres our counter-attack lacks potency.

Playing Arsenal is never going to be easy. And an Arsenal side with a point to prove at the emirates is a dangerous proposition.

Then again: Gerrard coming back to form, and if Lucas and Mash can stop ball to Fabregas then why not...........
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #19: Feb 07, 2010 11:37:05 pm
      Key winning strrategy to use against arsenal based on last 2 games

1. Let them play in front of us and draw them out. Normally our style is to pressure the opponents and not give them time but arsenal will thrive off that.

2. Intercept at any opportunity and counter. I'd put ngog in strike and use his pace.

3. Play Aquilani instead of Lucas. Lucas is too clumsy and against arsenals quick turning players he will give away too many stupid free kicks. I've got nothing against him, been good this season but I'd play aqua who should have enough space to create something.

4. One guy who has been a real pain in the ass against us is Arshavin. He'll run rings around carragher at RB, I'd rather have masch there.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #20: Feb 08, 2010 05:49:30 am
      I think we can win, and do it in style.

Watching both games against Chelsea and the Mancs, Arsenal were torn apart on the counter.

My view to approaching the game would be this:

They have some quality technical players but no real strength. No one to hold it up for them. If we can keep things compact and tight at the back i don't know how they will hurt us.

The are heavily exposed by the opposition on the counter. This is why i think we need Lucas and Masch. Boss the midfield, win the ball and let MAxi on the right, Stevie in the middle and Riera on the left to hit them with some pace on the counter. I have Kuyt up top because he knows where the net is on form.

Finally, while JD has stated they could not lose 3 on the trot, i think we can use this to our advantage. They have to win this. The immense amount of pressure on them could really work into our favour. We just need some cool heads and alot of pressure for the man on the ball.

Or quite simply blank what i've just said and man mark Arshavin!
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #21: Feb 08, 2010 06:01:20 am
      We need flair to counter Arsenal's flair in this game as well as we would require additional defensive cover in the midfield to keep Arshavin(i hope he has an off day this time) and Fabregas in check so both Aquilani and Lucas have to be played.Also playing Carra at right could prove to be costly as he might not be able to handle the pace of Arsenal.

Reina
      Kelly  Agger  Carra  Insua
      Maxi  Lucas  Masch  Stevie
                  Aquilani
                   Kuyt
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3894 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #22: Feb 08, 2010 09:53:28 am
                                     Reina
      Mascherano   Carragher      Agger         Aurelio

Lucas            Gerrard
      Kuyt                                                    Maxi
                                Aquilani

Ngog

After the battle that was the derby how about we keep Mascherano at RB, keep Gerrard at CM and give Aquilani a run behind Ngog.
      Not looking forward to three games without Kyrgiakos but after the second half display at the weekend why not keep the shape for the Emirates.
      No doubt Rafa will change it though

Quick Reply