Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Twelve fans die at Zambia match

Read 2441 times
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Twelve fans die at Zambia match
      Jun 03, 2007 01:49:15 pm
      Reports say twelve Zambian fans died at the Chililabombwe stadium

Twelve fans have been killed and 46 injured in a crush at Zambia's Chililabombwe stadium on Saturday.
      The stampede occurred as fans headed to the exits following Zambia's 3-0 win over Congo in their Group 11 qualifying match for the African Cup of Nations.

"Too many fans tried to squeeze through the few exits available," said regional Chief of Police Antoneil Mutenthwa.

"Twelve people have been killed, nine men and three women. Some fans suffered serious injuries and are in hospital."

Those with minor injuries were treated and later discharged last night, he added.

Mutentwa said the cause of the stampede was unclear, though one witness said it had been caused by people rushing to get aboard free transport.

It is thought none of the travelling contingent from Congo were injured.

Provincial minister Mwansa Mbulakulima is expected to travel to the region to assess the situation.

Witnesses said that the crush came as supporters tried to force their way through the limited number of turnstiles in a bid to get home before dark.

Kick-off at the game had earlier been delayed as officials waited for the stadium to fill up.

Article taken from BBCSport

Brings back awful memories, and shows what could have happend at Athens also.
      When are people going to learn in crowd control - huge numbers do not funnel through into small areas quickly.

My thought's go out to all the families of there lost ones, to those still in hospital and to all who had to witness this tragedy.
      RIP & YNWA

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Re: Twelve fans die at Zambia match
      Reply #1: Jun 03, 2007 02:45:52 pm
      Link to that story
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/6715717.stm

Very very sad. As a club that has unfortunately suffered disasters twice round our thoughts are with the families and friends of these supporters.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2: Jun 06, 2007 10:02:39 pm
      Oh my God that's awful!
      I hate when stuff like this happens :(
      RIP
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #3: Jun 06, 2007 10:20:58 pm
      thats really bad news it is the bad side of the beatiful game my heart goes out to the families and hope that the injured are okay
      R.I.P
      Y.N.W.A
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #4: Jun 06, 2007 11:45:47 pm
      God bless the families of the deceased and those they lost, terrible news indeed YNWA

Quick Reply