Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your man of the match?

Lucas Leiva
      (25.4%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (22.8%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (5.3%)
      Daniel Agger
      (13.2%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (28.1%)
      Emiliano Insua
      (5.3%)

Arsenal 1-0 Liverpool - post match disgruntlement

Read 36939 times
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Re: Arsenal 1-0 Liverpool - post match disgruntlement
      Reply #276: Feb 11, 2010 04:43:51 pm
      But he handballed the ball. If he wouldn't have touched the ball, maybe Stevie would have scored.

I think we are getting too carried away with this. Yes it was a handball but sh*t like that happens.

I do remember a certain Stephane Henchoz handling the ball about 3 times on the line in an FA cup final against Arsenal, i bet we didnt have a problem with that.

My point is things like that happen, Ngog had a great chance before this and should have at least hit the target, that to me is more of an issue than the handball.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #277: Feb 11, 2010 04:50:43 pm
      Hard to compete without a decent striker.
      Sad state of affairs that L.F.C. is so lacking upfront in Torres's absence.

No. Not sad.
      F***ing scandalous and yet we are in the miraculous position of a CL place !

Hail Rafa.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #278: Feb 11, 2010 04:53:25 pm
      No. Not sad.
      F***ing scandalous and yet we are in the miraculous position of a CL place !

Hail Rafa.

Agreed
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #279: Feb 11, 2010 04:53:34 pm
      Have to admit the football we've played in general has been awful this season, the neutrals must turn off the TV when they see it is us playing.

Again last night our plan was just to stop the other team playing and if possible to nick a goal. I wouldn't mind as much if we had got the results this season but we haven't. We play a horrible negative type of football the worst I've seen in a long while from a Liverpool team surely if Rafa attacked more we might have gained more points.

But again against City I expect us to set up shop to stop them playing and maybe nick a goal. I just expect more in an attacking sense from a Liverpool side.

Going to have to disagree with you here corbally mate.

Theres certain games every season that Liverpool play in a different way than what we normally would. These games are: away to Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, and good european sides. At times, we play this way at home to those teams too depending on the current form were in.

Rafa puts 11 men behind the ball and then counters. Its a good tactic IMO. First things first, you make yourseleves difficult to beat, once you do that then you push on and see how you might win the game.

Were we negative last night? I don't think so. We had 3 or 4 good opportunities and one or two debateable decisions. We were even stevens with Arsenal all over the park and up until they scored, you couldn't tell which team were going to take the lead could you? Then after they scored, it was all Liverpool and if there was a second goal to come in that game, we would have got it, not them.

Bit bored and fed up of this 'Arsenal were there for the taking last night', can somebody explain to me how they were please? Firstly, there at home. Secondly, there above us in the league. Thirdly, they were involved in the title race up until 2 weeks ago. So somebody explain to me why it was a certainty we should be going to the emirates and picking up 3 points? Because we've had abit of a good run recently? Get real. Arsenal away is always going to be a difficult game no matter what.

Sorry to have a go at young Ngog but if Torres was playing last night, believe me, it would have been a different outcome. I think we would have won it.

So no, i don't think we were negative and i thought arsenal and liverpool were pretty even throughout the game last night. Thought we were extremely unlucky not to come away with a draw.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #280: Feb 11, 2010 05:04:28 pm
      Ya Fazza but we have played them exact tactics away against Stoke, Fulham, Portsmouth, Reading I can go on. 1 up front with 2 defensive midfielders. I understand them tactics against the top 4 but we've played them against every one.

Our whole game is to stifle the opposition and maybe nick a goal. I expect us to play the exact same way next week against City as we did last night. It is negative football and awful to watch and hasn't brought us the results this season.

Ngog up front in this system is also a big problem, he doesn't have the experience to play it and looked horribly out of his depth last night.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #281: Feb 11, 2010 05:25:52 pm
      One big problem last night was no outlet. If you set up to sit back and let them come at you then you need at least three players to catch them on the counter.

We had possible one player, Gerrard.

I'm not saying it was the wrong tactic's, I'm just saying if we had Torres and Babel there we could well have got something from the game.

hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #282: Feb 11, 2010 06:13:21 pm
      It was a travesty really. Babel made himself busy from the moment he stepped on the pitch. I know he can be a pain in the ass, but he can strike the ball from distance and has pace. His control lets him down at times. But how many times this season have we seen N'gog fail to get the ball out from underneath his feet. Starting with N'gog up front, not playing Riera and replacing Carra with Degen were key decisions Rafa got wrong last night.

I've stuck up for the guy all season. My mate wants him to go. I was ranting at the TV when Fab handballed, but he said what have we done to deserve a point? We lacked any sort on invention till it was too late. To be honest, i couldn't disagree with him for once.

StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #283: Feb 11, 2010 07:53:45 pm
      it wasnt a free kick in the first place

Yes it was, Kuyt was pushed in the back.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #284: Feb 11, 2010 08:09:41 pm
      It's time these guys started to play for the jersey. Playing for Liverpool FC is a privilege.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 922 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #285: Feb 11, 2010 08:27:07 pm
      As previously posted we are set up to stop other teams from playing, if we had of been a little more positive Arsenal were there for the taking. Again we only went attacking once we were behind. Ngog was out of his depth it was very obvious but again nothing was done till the last 15-20 minutes left and when Babel come on he changed the game, we were more effective upfront but to late. I think the standard of refereeing is shocking.
      100%lfc4ever
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 89 posts |
      Reply #286: Feb 11, 2010 08:55:17 pm
      We won't get fourth place with such negatives tactics,what game does Rafa watch,why does he persist in N'gog as a lone striker when he is clearly not ready?why does he play Kuyt on the right when he has right sided players to play there?why does he keep picking Insua when he's playing so badly?what does he see in Degan??why keep Babel if he doesn't play him?Did Rafa not watch any of the games arsenal played against manure,chelski and everton recently?if he had then why not play positively and play a striker with skill and pace(Babel)everyone can blame injuries and lack of funds but that doesn't give Rafa the right to play negative dire football(the worst I ever seen lfc play) we only started playing after they scored WHY?confidence and belief come with a winning mentality so why is Rafa scared stiff of Arsenal and Wenger?I like Babel,yes he is outspoken but he has a lot to offer and should be given a run of games up front and I'm sure he would score more than Ngog and Kuyt.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 922 
      Reply #287: Feb 11, 2010 08:59:52 pm
      He dose have point about Rafa's tactics he has become very negative this season.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #288: Feb 11, 2010 09:10:10 pm
      Contradictory crap?

Why is that? Fellani going off was a gift for us. He was a handfull at Goodison. We got lucky and defended exceptionally well. You could argue given the result last night, with Fellani going off they didnt have a plan b.

Feel free to pull up my other points about the decision making.

Im not taking away from some of the decision making, i scratched my head at some stuff too. Last night the team did not play well, and we got a lot of things wrong. But Arsenal didn't play the best either, it just came down to them taking a chance. Simple as that. We have our best striker out, and not anyone to fill his place well (although i would have had Kuyt up there given his form) so our chances of being able to take a chance diminish.

But its contradictory crap. And what the F**k is that crap you are spilling about Fellani and Everton not having a plan B?!?! They brought Arteta on, we LOST A MAN TO A RED F***ing CARD!! How the F**k can you say that Everton were in the bad position?!

Jaysus F***ing christ!
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #289: Feb 11, 2010 09:14:52 pm
      we played well, but we were struggling to hold fellaini. we did exceptional on saha and pienaar. so fellaini going off was a gift, although the send off was a downer, but we fought well
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #290: Feb 11, 2010 09:15:03 pm
      F ******!!!!!!***********ING       FAB******!!!!!!!*******GAS         C *****!!!!!NT       F *******!!!!!!! !!!!! ******* K

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #291: Feb 11, 2010 09:27:20 pm

Defensively we looked sound as usual but what the F**k we were doing when they scored I don't know. No midfielder tracked Diaby back, none of the centre halves picked him up and Degen ran in the opposite way to Diaby - why I don't know. Bad defending all round that one.

Ah well, first defeat in eight so not time to hit the panic button (again). We just need to brush ourselves down and get ready for next week.

A bit of some knee jerk reactions, but all in all I agree. We got 17 points in the last 8 games. I would of preferred 24 but I'll take it.  

I still think they turned around a little. We have some issues to deal with but all in all were still in it for a  CL spot and are still their for the league.  It might be a long shot, but I have faith. Torres should be back soon. So all in all I cant complain.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #292: Feb 11, 2010 09:30:29 pm
      We played against a full Arsenal team and i thought we'd at least get a point,however if we had our full team out including Nando,Yossi,Johnson it would have been 3 points for us i reckon ,we did have the chances to score but our ratio of converting chances to goals is too great at the moment ,a fit Nando would change all this ,why wasn't Aquilani in the squad though ? he injured ?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 922 
      Reply #293: Feb 11, 2010 09:47:38 pm
      Aqualani is ill the poor little cherub
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #294: Feb 11, 2010 10:05:04 pm
      Im not taking away from some of the decision making, i scratched my head at some stuff too. Last night the team did not play well, and we got a lot of things wrong. But Arsenal didn't play the best either, it just came down to them taking a chance. Simple as that. We have our best striker out, and not anyone to fill his place well (although i would have had Kuyt up there given his form) so our chances of being able to take a chance diminish.

But its contradictory crap. And what the F**k is that crap you are spilling about Fellani and Everton not having a plan B?!?! They brought Arteta on, we LOST A MAN TO A RED F***ing CARD!! How the F**k can you say that Everton were in the bad position?!

Jaysus F***ing christ!

Why?

When we played them at Goodison we were the worst side and won. Fellani was a handfull and our players a had time dealing with him, cahill and pienar.

I suggested they didn't have a plan b the way they appeared to fizzle out in the second half.

I might add, Moyes did us a favour by taking Saha off when he did. They didn't look too clever after he went.

I'm not taking anything away from the performance. They defended as if their lives depended on it. We nicked a goal and rode our luck, not for the first time this season. 

gironda
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | -1 
      Reply #295: Feb 11, 2010 10:41:25 pm
      It wasn't a 'full' Arsenal team, for those that are saying so.

They are arguably in the same position as us, missing their 'top' striker, Robin van Persie, with no-one to replace him. Yes, Bendtner is finally back, but he is no van Persie. It's like saying Dirk Kuyt can fill Torres's boots.

Had we played more adventurously form the outset, perhaps we would've won. But perhaps we would've conceded much earlier.

Perhaps they were there for the taking, but with N'Gog leading the line we are not going to be doing any 'taking'.

This is where Rafa seems to routinely get it wrong. Team selection. Why not play Babel up front? Yes, he may be a colossal tw*t and he may not have any respect for the Boss, but is Rafa going to continue to put personal issues before the well being of the team? In big games you need someone that can pull something special out of his hat. That someone is certainly not N'Gog. He's a talented youngster, but no game breaker.

Anyway, Babel is still here for the time being, and the team really needs him, so give him a run of games FFS.

How would you feel seeing N'Gog constantly getting starts over you? No team can seriously fear N'Gog.

That is all.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #296: Feb 11, 2010 10:54:23 pm
      Why is everybody crying for Babel to have started, the fella during numerous starts has disappointed time and time again. Since the day he arrived at Anfield he has been much better coming off the bench. Or is it simply because Babel had one decent shot during the game (after he'd come off the bench) which has caused such uproar.

Ngog had our best chance, that one on one which Gallas got back to block and if Dave had taken that, everybody on here stating how Babel should of started would of been shouting how it was the right decision to start Ngog. Now the decision to start Ngog wasn't one I wanted against Arsenal as against them, especially at their place, you have to keep the ball and unfortunately Dave's control and link up isn't good enough right now. But in a choice between him and Babel, Ngog gets the nod every single time as Babel's control goes further than most of Reina's goalkicks.

My ideal selection would of been Maxi wide right, Riera on the left and Kuyt up top.
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #297: Feb 11, 2010 11:09:47 pm
      I think the reason they are doing so. Against common sense. Against the reasoning that he has been nothing, but a pain in the ass all season. Is the game changed when he come on. Everybody could see that. I don't like his attitude, but if he can do that in more games, I'd quite happily bite my tongue.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #298: Feb 11, 2010 11:26:08 pm
      I think the reason they are doing so. Against common sense. Against the reasoning that he has been nothing, but a pain in the ass all season. Is the game changed when he come on. Everybody could see that. I don't like his attitude, but if he can do that in more games, I'd quite happily bite my tongue.

Yes mate, it changed when he came on. When he starts, he doesn't perform to that level. He's far better coming off the bench than starting, in the same way I personally feel Yossi is as well. He looks boss coming off the bench, when he starts he tends to go missing or be ineffective.

Quick Reply