Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

Vancouver 2010

Read 31089 times
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Vancouver 2010
      Reply #299: Feb 28, 2010 11:16:17 pm
      Love that the three Ducks on team Canada were the ones carrying the flag around ;D
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #300: Feb 28, 2010 11:21:41 pm
      What a result for Canada, and it had to be the Kid, didn't it?!

Glad Brodeur played no more part in the matches.

Luongo > Miller > Brodeur.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #301: Feb 28, 2010 11:37:34 pm
      I love Hockey and in the US Hockey was suffering a little. Hopefully this tournament made some non-Hockey followers into fans and thats a good thing.

Hopefully these games have made some of our Liverpool supporters into fans.  Hockey is a great sport.  Probably the toughest professional athletes in the world. Hockey is tougher than NFL, Rugby, Aussie Rules,  EPL Football even Boxing.  Brutal sport. Non stop action, fast, fights, good hits and drama. Their have been guys who played an entire 7 game Stanley Cup series with a broken leg. True story. They play with concussions, stitches in their face, broken noses and hands. Those players are tough as nails.  

Now you know why we watch it and why the best Hockey league in the world is the NHL.

I hope the UK watched it and enjoyed it.  It was certainly the best ever.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #302: Feb 28, 2010 11:41:30 pm
      I love Hockey and in the US Hockey was suffering a little. Hopefully this tournament made some non-Hockey followers into fans and thats a good thing.

Hopefully these games have made some of our Liverpool supporters into fans.  Hockey is a great sport.  Probably the toughest professional athletes in the world. Hockey is tougher than NFL, Rugby, Aussie Rules,  EPL Football even Boxing.  Brutal sport. Non stop action, fast, fights, good hits and drama. Their have been guys who played an entire 7 game Stanley Cup series with a broken leg. True story. They play with concussions, stitches in their face, broken noses and hands. Those players are tough as nails. 

Now you know why we watch it and why the best Hockey league in the world is the NHL.

I hope the UK watched it and enjoyed it.  It was certainly the best ever.

Been watching it since December mate, don't regret a second of it.

Second-best sport in the world, IMO.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #303: Feb 28, 2010 11:48:18 pm
      Second-best sport in the world, IMO.

I agree!

But I'm still waiting for the day I'll really understand the game - I mean, as much as I do about football, to be able to judge tactics and performances a lot better. I guess it comes with time, doesnt it!

It's always very entertaining anyway. Can't wait for the NHL playoffs now!
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #304: Feb 28, 2010 11:51:57 pm
      Unlucky bronx and Bigv. And YANK

Well in Diego!
      Thanks redkenny!   I hate losing but, I like the Canadians.  Class players. They played well, hard and deserved it.  It wasn't luck.  Canada took the US out early and controlled the tempo for the whole game.  

I do think Miller deserved the MVP. Even though he lost he was truly the best goalie in the Olympics.  138 saves and only 8 goals.  Thats an unreal stat. He stood on his head. Hopefully we'll get it done in 2014 in Russia.  I'm sure the Russians will put out a better squad too. Not to mention Sweden are tough, Checkoslovakia, Ukraine.

2014 could be a good tournament too. We'll see.

All I got to say Is you English boys better win the Gold in Football in 2012.  Dont lose that, its a shitty feeling. Thats your game. Dont let someone come into your house and piss on your floor.  Win the gold in Football or you'll hate it for ever.
      « Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010 12:06:13 am by YANK_LFC_FAN »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #305: Feb 28, 2010 11:54:50 pm
      I agree!

But I'm still waiting for the day I'll really understand the game - I mean, as much as I do about football, to be able to judge tactics and performances a lot better. I guess it comes with time, doesnt it!

I'm finding myself starting to get to that stage now. I've been watching since '05, but only here and there since the coverage is limited in Australia. Since I've been here I watch a couple games a week, regardless of if it's my team or not - and I'm starting to pick up the tactics, the matchup, etc etc. Fantastic sport, has fast become my second favorite next to Aussie Rules.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #306: Mar 01, 2010 12:00:45 am
      I agree!

Its like any sport. The more you watch you'll understand. When I first started watching Liverpool when I was a kid, It was a whole new world. Everything from Injury time and off sides to all the different cups and tournaments and relegation,promotion.  

Once I started watching and got help from others I understood it a little better.  The more you watch the better it gets.  It takes a while to follow the puck, you almost have to watch the game without following the puck. Watch the players and you can actually see the puck clearer when your not focused on it.  Its almost a trick to the eyes.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #307: Mar 01, 2010 12:02:05 am
      Fantastic sport, has fast become my second favorite next to Aussie Rules.

You what?
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,402 posts | 191 
      Reply #308: Mar 01, 2010 12:02:13 am
      A Liverpudlian does not come from anywhere mate. A Liverpudlian is born. To be a Liverpudlian is to be a Liverpool fan, not to be from Liverpool. :)

OK mate , you know more about the subject than i do. I thought a Liverpudlian was a native from Liverpool.

Oh well, Well done Canadia ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #309: Mar 01, 2010 12:56:14 am

Second favorite NEXT to Aussie Rules. As in football in clear first ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #310: Mar 01, 2010 04:55:37 am
      Anyone watching the closing ceremony? Start was quite humerous, anyone who saw the opening will know there was a bit of a malfunction when it came to raising the four legs of the cauldren inside the stadium, and there was one of the four torch bearers who just had to stand and not light a leg like the others did.

Well the start tonight saw the 3 legs up again, and then the hole where the fourth is meant to be. Out climbed a mime doing all sorts of 'what do I do?' poses and then mimed pulling the cauldren leg up. And up it came, as the mime struggled :D Quite a light-hearted and good joke about what happened, showing they can laugh at themselves. And, the girl that got left standing the first time was there to light it this time. Nice touch I thought :)

Great seeing the athletes relaxing there too, must be a great moment I think :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #311: Mar 01, 2010 09:21:49 am
      Was a good ceremony, i thought. Some humor, some history, and celebrating what was achieved.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #312: Mar 02, 2010 02:25:20 am
      I agree!

If you follow Football and understand the tactics. Its pretty much the same game. Picture a smaller playing field, less men and much faster. Other than that its really technically, the same game.  Offsides is the same. attacking the goal, smooth passing, set plays and capitalizing on scoring chances.  The same offensive and defensive schemes are the same.  You pick up your man, in their zone you are offensive minded and trying to score, back in your zone your defensive minded and trying to take it away from them.

I see a lot of tactics employed in Hockey played out in football. The "Trap" which is moving the play to the sides, taking out the center of the field and collapsing back on defense, which is being used brilliantly by Chelsea and Aston Villa is a Hockey tactic used for years and years. I have watched Hockey since I was a little kid. Watching the greats like Messier,Gretzky,Chelios, Kariya, Bure, now Crosby,Heatly, Parissie,Thornton and Ovechkin can be mirrored to players like Torres, Gerrard, Rooney, Pele, Maradonna etc...I watch EPL and at times see a fantastic relevance between the sports.   All in all.  They are both great sports and anyone who doesn't watch them are truly missing out on something great. 

Not too mention when the 2 toughest "goons" in the league happen to be playing eachother.  You just know their is going to be a good 5 minute fight on the ice between the 2 toughest fighters in the league. Which in Hockey and the NHL is a highly prized skill.  If you have a young, small scorer who is leading the league in scoring and another player hits him hard into the boards, the next time that player comes out, the enforcer is going to come out and beat the sh*t out the guy who hit your goal scorer.  Thats his job.  Then the next shift the other team sends out their enforcer and then the 2 go at it. The second the face off whistle goes off, they drop the gloves square up and go to town.  Nothing better than the 2 best enforcers in the league fighting for 5-10 minutes in an all out war.  Best thing in Hockey.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #313: Mar 03, 2010 03:39:59 am
      If you follow Football and understand the tactics. Its pretty much the same game. Picture a smaller playing field, less men and much faster. Other than that its really technically, the same game.  Offsides is the same. attacking the goal, smooth passing, set plays and capitalizing on scoring chances.  The same offensive and defensive schemes are the same.  You pick up your man, in their zone you are offensive minded and trying to score, back in your zone your defensive minded and trying to take it away from them.

I see a lot of tactics employed in Hockey played out in football. The "Trap" which is moving the play to the sides, taking out the center of the field and collapsing back on defense, which is being used brilliantly by Chelsea and Aston Villa is a Hockey tactic used for years and years. I have watched Hockey since I was a little kid. Watching the greats like Messier,Gretzky,Chelios, Kariya, Bure, now Crosby,Heatly, Parissie,Thornton and Ovechkin can be mirrored to players like Torres, Gerrard, Rooney, Pele, Maradonna etc...I watch EPL and at times see a fantastic relevance between the sports.   All in all.  They are both great sports and anyone who doesn't watch them are truly missing out on something great. 

Not too mention when the 2 toughest "goons" in the league happen to be playing eachother.  You just know their is going to be a good 5 minute fight on the ice between the 2 toughest fighters in the league. Which in Hockey and the NHL is a highly prized skill.  If you have a young, small scorer who is leading the league in scoring and another player hits him hard into the boards, the next time that player comes out, the enforcer is going to come out and beat the sh*t out the guy who hit your goal scorer.  Thats his job.  Then the next shift the other team sends out their enforcer and then the 2 go at it. The second the face off whistle goes off, they drop the gloves square up and go to town.  Nothing better than the 2 best enforcers in the league fighting for 5-10 minutes in an all out war.  Best thing in Hockey.

Very interesting post, thanks for that.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,402 posts | 191 
      Reply #314: Mar 03, 2010 09:25:35 pm

I use the exact same argument in reverse, as most of my friends are Hockey fans.
      But you're right technically they are very similar. Thats why I love them both.
      Actually converted a few of my mates into LFC fans.

Good post Yank

Quick Reply