Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Liverpool v Unirea Urziceni 18/02/2010 - Man Of The Match

David N'Gog
      (3.8%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (11.4%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (1%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (17.1%)
      Albert Riera
      (1.9%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (1%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (17.1%)
      Dani Pacheco
      (13.3%)
      Ryan Babel
      (28.6%)
      Alberto Aquilani
      (1%)
      Fabio Aurelio
      (1.9%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (0%)
      Pepe Reina
      (1.9%)

Liverpool 1-0 Unirea Urziceni - Post Match Cuddles

Read 23545 times
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Unirea Urziceni - Post Match Cuddles
      Reply #184: Feb 20, 2010 05:22:07 am
      I think people are too quick to write off Alberto in the middle of the park. I think he can be a dynamic player in the centre, but just needs time.

Yeah, i think once he gets used to they way we play, and the league itself, he will be a lot better.

Not every playyer is going to storm in and play great like Tirres did right away.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #185: Feb 20, 2010 06:25:18 am
      Ok it wasnt vintage by any means but however "poor" this team were, they were well organised.

There's no point moaning about Rafa's refusal to play two centre forwards in this thread,  we all know he sets his teams up with one off main striker.

We got a clean sheet and Id put money on the fact out there they will attack more and leave themselves open and we will go and win by 2 or 3 goals no problem.

Well done to Babel for coming on and trying to make such a positive impact on the game for once, have to say on a negative note, its early days BUT I dont hold much hope for Aquilani being the player we all hoped he would be.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,153 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #186: Feb 20, 2010 08:53:01 am
      Well, it was a poor display by the Reds, let's make no mistake about that, but at least it was a clean sheet and a win. Almost 70% possession and one goal to show for it, a sign that something was wrong. Our defence won't get an easier game this season. Let us also remember that this side hadn't played for over 2 months and had played a game against Northwich Victoria in preparation. There really isn't much to say, as this was a very dire and boring game to watch.

Well done Pacheco, well done Babel. Will either of them get a consistent run in the side? Will either of them get a chance to gel into a side devoid of any attacking intent? Will either of them get a chance to build on their starts? I have been one of Babel's harshest critics, but when he's hardly playing then it's hard for him, and i respect that. Rafa obviously still feels that Babel has something to offer, or he'd have gone in the January transfer window, so give him a run of games. What worries me now is that Babel and Pacheco will not be allowed to build on this.

Aquilani was awful, nothing went for him and i feel for the lad. He's trying too hard and trying to make up for lost time. He'll come good, but will he get a consistent run in the side? Will he get the benefit of the doubt as several other players have this season? We'll just have to wait and see.

Well done lads, we got the win and that's the most important part. Let's hope we can seriously up our game against City, a tough game it will be.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #187: Feb 20, 2010 08:54:08 am
      People are being to hard on Liverpool. Urziceni played the whole game with 11 men behind the ball, even Barca would have struggled to break that team down.

Benayoun would have made a big difference if he was fit to play on the edge of the box. We just lacked that final pass to get in on goal, and he would have been the man to do it.

Urziceni will have to come out looking for a goal in the return match, so their will be more space in behind. We should get at least one more goal in the next match. No worries.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #188: Feb 20, 2010 09:44:16 am
      Ok it wasnt vintage by any means but however "poor" this team were, they were well organised.

Definitely well-organised at the back and lets face it, thats what European football is about, being patient and taking the chance when it comes.
      DC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #189: Feb 20, 2010 12:48:17 pm
      Definitely well-organised at the back and lets face it, thats what European football is about, being patient and taking the chance when it comes.

Hmm. Thats what champions league football is about. But playing a side the standard of Unirea you'd hope for a bit more penetration.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #190: Feb 20, 2010 01:07:56 pm
      Not the best performance, not the most entertaining football, but job almost done in my eyes.

They were never going to be easy to break down, they came for a draw or hopefully a sneaky away goal and they got neither.  Now they have to attack us in the away leg which should give us more space to take advantage of.

I have witnessed some amazing European nights over the last 40 years but I have also seen some very dull, boring and frustrating ones.  I also know that we are renowned for doing exactly what is needed to progress in European competitions so I'm expecting a very different game next week.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #191: Feb 20, 2010 01:26:36 pm
      If we are to progress in this competition we will have to improve a 100% from the other night.

Expect us to progress in this round but if we play anyone quality like we did the other night we will be out.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #192: Feb 20, 2010 01:45:39 pm
      Hmm. Thats what champions league football is about. But playing a side the standard of Unirea you'd hope for a bit more penetration.

Did you say the same back in 2001 when we drew with Rapid Bucharest?

Plus we will look a lot stronger when the likes of Benayoun and Torres are back.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #193: Feb 20, 2010 01:47:03 pm

To be fair, although we lacked pace at times, I remember a good few shots, a lot of them on target.

As it's been mentioned, European football is a lot different. We took our chances every time we got them and it paid off eventually. Besides the fact that we lacked urgency, I think people aren't giving enough credit to Unirea for the organisation at the back.

On to the next leg though, we've made them change their game plan now. We go over there and they have to attack. None of this park the bus sh*te, they have to leave gaps now. Grab another goal and job done.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,226 posts | 918 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #194: Feb 21, 2010 01:53:11 pm
      Our players were confused after rafa sent them out to play rugby rules. The team rule was you must pass the ball backwards.

In the dying embers, one of our much maligned and least played twitterers (babel) stuffed up and crossed the ball slightly in a forward manner.
      two other maligned youngsters, (ngog and pacheco) broke the team rule and ran into the 6 yard box and exchanged headers to poke it in the onion bag. All the first team regulars looked on in amazement as they wondered how these youngsters would dare to break the rules and attack the opponent.
      The first team regulars took heart in the fact that these 3 rebels will receive punishment for their sin and wont be featuring too often in the near future.
      Unfortunatly looked like how we were playing
      Carra's forward play was shocking a run stop look around and pass back all through the game
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #195: Feb 22, 2010 11:32:58 pm
      Are we on TV for the second leg of this on Thursday, it says we are online but can't see it on the TV schedule from 5.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #196: Feb 22, 2010 11:40:27 pm
      Are we on TV for the second leg of this on Thursday, it says we are online but can't see it on the TV schedule from 5.

ESPN mate

Quick Reply