Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Americans and English - whats the difference?

Read 1429 times
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Americans and English - whats the difference?
      Feb 19, 2010 11:40:10 pm
      We have footy you have soccer.

im really very surprised that we have so many American posters on this site
      tbh i though there was no interest for "soccer" in the USA

are americans finally coming out of thier shell, and embracing the sports world that lives outside of their domain
      are they gelling with the rest of the world at last,
      far too many people disrespect americans and throw them to the lions because of their own culture.

question is, what is the difference between us and them, or is the worlds community becoming one, are we becoming similar

oh and have they gone off their own sports.  he he!

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Americans and English - whats the difference?
      Reply #1: Feb 19, 2010 11:49:14 pm
      Think there is already a thread going for this fella. Unless i am thinking of something else.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #2: Feb 25, 2010 08:13:24 pm
      Can't see footy overtaking baseball or US football Rob, believe it or not they think footy is less macho than either of the mentioned sports.
      My brother in law runs an academy in Mass. and they have a very successful ladies set up, there is of course proper football but it won't take the place of their national sports.
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #3: Feb 26, 2010 02:04:31 pm
      Well, for starters, you lot drive on the wrong side of the road.  ;) :D

I think proper football has a large following here to be honest. It's just that relative to baseball & gridiron (I think that's what you call it) there are a lot less. I'd say that just about every school has a soccer team it's just that only a small group actually play/follow it.

A lot could be said about demographics and geography in relation to its popularity, but you're right when you say that it's enjoying a boom here. Until pretty recently it was very much a niche sport. They are addressing that, though, with stronger media coverage and, of course, the MLS.

It was always here. It just never got the attention it deserved.

Baseball & our football will remain more popular for the foreseeable future. I don't think baseball is seen as a macho sport, though. I'd think of it as a more blue-collar cricket if I were you. And, obviously, our football can be equated with rugby (another niche sport here).
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #4: Feb 26, 2010 02:27:31 pm
      I stand corrected Eric I didn't realise that baseball is seen in the same light as cricket over here.
      As i said previously about my bro in law in Mass. he's been running the academy over there for a few years and he was telling me in the last 2 years there has been a surge in interest but still he says that the ladies footy in Mass. is getting more attention from the kids and suchlike.
      Maybe it's an age thing with that and the young lads are all into what Pop used to play all that tradition stuff, but whatever it's got a lot of catching up to do.
      « Last Edit: Feb 26, 2010 02:37:17 pm by stuey »
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #5: Feb 26, 2010 02:34:37 pm
      I stand corrected Eric I didn't realise that baseball is seen in the same light as cricket over here.
      I could be talking out of my ass for all I know, Stu. I just get the impression that cricket is something of a gentleman's game. I have a Jamaican co-worker and he was schooling me on cricket last week. It seemed there were a lot of similarities - terms, strategies, etc. - between baseball & cricket. Baseball has a more common quality, though. By that I just mean eveybody - black or white, rich or poor - follows it. It's everybody's sport here and there's no wonder that it's considered our national pastime.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #6: Feb 26, 2010 03:23:55 pm
      Your right mate there is something of a status issue with cricket over here it's more popular in the southern parts of England and the further north you go the less you see it played. In the far north over the border in Scotland it's almost unheard of, we all played at school but footy overtakes it and cricket is forgotten about. Rugby is a weird situation cos it's really popular in some places but it's like only certain counties or states as you call them, in Liverpool there are some rugby teams but it's nearly all footy but outside the city in St. Helens and Widnes rugby flourishes it's weird.
      Wouldn't have it any other way tho Eric.
      « Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010 12:28:26 pm by stuey »

Quick Reply