Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

"City to bid £140 million for Torres and Gerrard" Daily Mail

Read 12598 times
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Re: "City to bid £140 million for Torres and Gerrard" Daily Mail
      Reply #46: Feb 22, 2010 02:37:29 pm
       we end up in 7th can see this happening what with our debt load. it might be a blessing in disguise gerrad has definately playing not like his old self the stats dont lie. next season might be worse stat wise players have a certain time frame we could be selling him at his peak. players want to transfer if there club is not winning big trophies. torres might feel different about the reds if they drop to 7th. believe his injuries will start to take a toll on his stats. so we might be selling at his peak. just an opinion could be right might be wrong
      fraggle786
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | 15 
      Reply #47: Feb 22, 2010 03:05:26 pm
      Decent red said to me in the pub today why not sell them buy say Villa and 2 or 3 others he mentioned, Sounded good

EXCEPT THE YANKS WANT THE MONEY FOR THEM NOT TO BUILD OUR SQUAD!!!!!!!!!

Even if they allowed Rafa to spend the money on the team (I think we all know thats not gonna happen BUT if they did) all the top players would instantly be priced out by their clubs because they will know lfc have money to spend. Its the way it always is.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #48: Feb 22, 2010 03:34:48 pm
      I dont understand why the yanks dont sell!!!

I mean they dont care about the club- No passion,
      They have no intrest in investing,
      Everybody hates them,
      We are not doing as well as we could be, Lots of debt-   Why not sell and move on to some bullshit yank team?

As with Torres and Gerrard- i understand the owners have the final say (which makes me feel sick!) but i dont think they would dare sell them- I mean there are protests already to get them out- Imagine if they sold our star players!!?  It would be manic to say the least!

I personally believe alot of newspapers make this crap up because there is nothing else to say about our club- they have these pages to fill every single day- i will believe either of them want to leave when i see them in a different shirt!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8514 
      Reply #49: Feb 22, 2010 04:30:05 pm
      Doesn't a player also have to agree to the transfer too? Owners can accept any bid for players they want, but at the end of the day its up to the player if he wants to leave or not!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #50: Feb 22, 2010 04:34:23 pm
      Doesn't a player also have to agree to the transfer too? Owners can accept any bid for players they want, but at the end of the day its up to the player if he wants to leave or not!

The threat of playing in the reserves might force them out.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #51: Feb 22, 2010 04:35:38 pm
      Yeah. Not much point of the player staying if he is regarded as 'not needed by the club'.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,280 posts | 1513 
      Reply #52: Feb 22, 2010 06:25:53 pm
      The two in question may not be needed by the yanks as they will desperatley want the cash. But there is no way they would leave whilst under contract as they both know how much they are wanted by the 'club'. i.e. Manager and Fans. I think if the yanks forced a sale of these two, they wouldn't dare enter the country again, let alone Anfield.
      OptimusRobbo
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 161 posts |
      Reply #53: Feb 22, 2010 06:34:47 pm
      Everywhere i look Man City are linked with big players not just Gerrard & Torres so this dont bother me much.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #54: Feb 22, 2010 06:57:43 pm
      How about they build our new stadium......

and then F**K OFF
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #55: Feb 22, 2010 06:58:12 pm
      How about they build our new stadium......

and then F**K OFF

:lmao:
      shaunchef
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 746 posts | 11 
      • JFT96 YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #56: Feb 22, 2010 07:54:14 pm
      Yawn, more tabloid speculation before a big game,

blah blah blah read all about it = BULLSHIT
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #57: Feb 23, 2010 08:16:19 am
      Nobody can question Gerrard's devotion to the club and he has come out time and time again to say he is committed to LFC but even he has said that he would leave if it was for the good of the club, ie if the offer made was too big to resist.
      Torres is regarded by many as the best striker in Europe but could potentially miss out on the CL next season having barely featured in it this season. Again, I'm not questioning his commitment to LFC but if a silly offer came in from a CL team, it might be seen as 'mutually beneficial' to move on.
      Sad sad times but we're no longer above these sort of things.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #58: Feb 23, 2010 02:30:44 pm

Sometimes the simplest answer is the best.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #59: Feb 23, 2010 03:00:46 pm
      Ok first off I do want the 2 players in question to stay with LFC.

However, would we really say no to big money, coz they could possibly both be replaced by 2 world class players each. I know it's not what any of us wants, but if it ended up happening at lease we can have a slight positive to the situation.
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #60: Feb 23, 2010 03:28:03 pm
      Nobody can question Gerrard's devotion to the club and he has come out time and time again to say he is committed to LFC but even he has said that he would leave if it was for the good of the club, ie if the offer made was too big to resist.
      Torres is regarded by many as the best striker in Europe but could potentially miss out on the CL next season having barely featured in it this season. Again, I'm not questioning his commitment to LFC but if a silly offer came in from a CL team, it might be seen as 'mutually beneficial' to move on.
      Sad sad times but we're no longer above these sort of things.

'nobody can question gerrards devotion to the club' - really; not sure I agree - he was all but gone on not one but 2 occassions
      « Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010 03:36:23 pm by Henrik577 »
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #61: Feb 23, 2010 04:28:01 pm
      'nobody can question gerrards devotion to the club' - really; not sure I agree - he was all but gone on not one but 2 occassions
      :mad:
      He didn't go and that just shows DEVOTION. He didn't stay because he thought Liv. could offer him more money.
      I think Gerrard is the last person whose devotion and loyalty you could doubt.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #62: Feb 24, 2010 06:34:59 am
      I'll keep it brief because this has been explained several times.
      He nearly went once, not twice.
      That only happened because Parry and co left it so fu**in long to offer Gerrard a contract that he naturally started to think that Liverpool were ready to cash in on him and the club did nothing to tell him otherwise.
      The media were creaming themselves and blew it up, saying he wanted to leave.
      Chelski's money was never an issue. Once LFC made Gerrard and offer, he signed without hesitation.
      He could command much more money elsewhere but does not want to leave.
      End of.
      Now stop reading The S*n.
      AdamT1985
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #63: Feb 24, 2010 11:31:10 am
      IF City place the order, will it get accepted? Probably, yes.

IF City place the order, and it's accepted, will the players want to go? No, i don't think so.

Both have Liverpool Football Club in their heart. Stevie G had the chance to join Chelsea a few seasons ago but didn't. Why would he join Manchester City and not Chelsea? If he did it would only be for financial reasons, and he doesn't come across as that type of guy. The impression i get is he plays football because he enjoys it. He loves Liverpool Football Club.

I think Torres is of the same mentality. I don't think either player would play for another club in England.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,632 posts | 128 
      Reply #64: Feb 24, 2010 11:54:21 am
      Why would he join Manchester City and not Chelsea?

The hunger for title could Steven drive away IMO. That's the only point i worry about. Stevie haven't won the premiership yet. So winning the league would mean everything for him, but okay winning the league with Liverpool would mean much much more  for Stevie than winning the League with City. But if you look at the facts, you see that he is now 29 years of age (he become 30 in May) and  he doesn't get younger. Last season he was close to lead Liverpool to the title. This season we could only go for the 4Th with fight  and spirit. The question is how long could he playing on his level ?
      AdamT1985
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #65: Feb 24, 2010 11:59:17 am

The question is how long could he playing on his level ?

I think he could go on for a few years yet. Maybe not as an attacking midfielder running with the ball and looking for goals, but i think he could change his game to suit a defensive midfielder. He can read a game very well and is very good at distributing the ball. The play would flow through him from back to front. He would also be able to use his strength and experience to break up attacks from the opposition.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #66: Feb 24, 2010 12:31:48 pm
      IF City place the order, and it's accepted, will the players want to go? No, i don't think so.

Both have Liverpool Football Club in their heart. Stevie G had the chance to join Chelsea a few seasons ago but didn't. Why would he join Manchester City and not Chelsea? If he did it would only be for financial reasons, and he doesn't come across as that type of guy. The impression i get is he plays football because he enjoys it. He loves Liverpool Football Club.

I think Torres is of the same mentality. I don't think either player would play for another club in England.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #67: Feb 24, 2010 03:31:04 pm
      I dont understand why the yanks dont sell!!!

I mean they dont care about the club- No passion,
      They have no intrest in investing,
      Everybody hates them,
      We are not doing as well as we could be, Lots of debt-   Why not sell and move on to some bullshit yank team?

As with Torres and Gerrard- i understand the owners have the final say (which makes me feel sick!) but i dont think they would dare sell them- I mean there are protests already to get them out- Imagine if they sold our star players!!?  It would be manic to say the least!

I personally believe alot of newspapers make this crap up because there is nothing else to say about our club- they have these pages to fill every single day- i will believe either of them want to leave when i see them in a different shirt!!
      The only reason they could be staying is a financial one, they appear to be hanging by their teeth until the world markets improve and they would be in a stronger position to trade, if they jumped ship now the prospects are not optimistic.
      When they took control the markets were in a comparatively healthier state than they are now, not forgetting that their own holdings have also been affected by the downturn.
      Another aspect worth considering is that if it were not for the the other assets held by the two they would never have been able to sustain the ownership of the club pointing to the fact that they are nobodies fools, it has involved borrowing to a great degree but they cannot afford to default on any of the monies mentioned and it is not clear how much they appreciate that the clubs success or lack of will directly affect how much they can cream off to service the debts.
      Their decisions now are of the make or break variety and there is very little room for error.
       The sale of our star players would be the straw that broke the camels back and the nail in the coffin for the owners.
      « Last Edit: Feb 24, 2010 07:56:05 pm by stuey »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,896 posts | 4967 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #68: Feb 24, 2010 05:55:54 pm
      In the words of MLK, I iHAVE A DREAM, I dream that those two F**k-wits just F**k off, And soon, notw can F**k off too they are just stirring things up as usual making up headlines to sell there sh*t rag, There's just no way Stevie G or Nando would go never mind to another pl club so as usual it's all f***in bollocks, CL or not both players are contracted to LFC and the so called 140m is nowhere near enough of a true valuation, If that f***in tw*t Ladyboy is worth 80m that just leaves 60m for two world class players. EH!! I dont think so, And if the two fat greedy kunts did sell them to pay off debt they could never set foot in England again, And thats a promise!!

Quick Reply