Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

4th Place - Achievable, but will we?

Read 46030 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      4th Place - Achievable, but will we?
      Feb 21, 2010 05:11:20 pm
      We have a really good chance, even though we've fallen to 6th and could be 7th if Spurs won.

We just really need to get our act together and beat thems below us. We drew at Man City. It's the past, let's move on and go for that 4th vital spot.

Games left for Man City, Spurs, Villa and ourselves :

Villa - Chelsea, Man City and Everton
      Spurs - Man City, Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal
      Man city - Villa, Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham
      Us - Chelsea and Man United

All of us are bound to drop points but others have more points to drop than we do. Not only that, the teams below us are also capable of taking points off anyone. That's why it's important for us to get together (again) and finish off the teams below us and get 4th.

Let's keep the Red flag flying!  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      « Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010 08:36:52 pm by Adryan »
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: 4th Place - Achievable, but will we?
      Reply #1: Feb 21, 2010 05:13:29 pm
      We have to start trying to win games rather than just stopping the other team this was a carbon copy of the Arsenal match without us conceding.
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #2: Feb 21, 2010 05:14:10 pm
      Villa have a cup final also and that will be a major factor in my opinion for how their season pans out......
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #3: Feb 21, 2010 05:16:42 pm
      It seems that nobody wants 4th - just like nobody seems to want to win the league.

It's been a really strange season.  Who would have thought a title chasing side would have lost nearly a quarter of their games for instance? Unheard of.

As for City, Liverpool, Spurs and Villa.  All blowing hot and cold each week.  And if it's this close now then it's likely to be close all the way to the wire.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #4: Feb 21, 2010 05:18:28 pm
      Well, thats cheered me up a bit :D

I still think by the end of the season we'll be closer to 3rd place then we will be close to 5th. Keep the faith lads! Our main attacking threats are returning and we've only lost one of the last eight (I think?) The golden road at the end of this storm isn't far away now.

YNWA.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5: Feb 21, 2010 05:20:22 pm
      I've said it many times and will again, Spurs and Villa are going to drop a shed load of points yet because they always do, also City are going to drop a lot more because they rely too heavily on Tevez and when he doesn't score, most the time they don't win.

I am confident we will get it, we have easier games and we have just gotten Yossi and Nando back and Johnson will return soon.

Spurs have Defoe, Villa have Agbonlahor and City have Tevez. If they are having a quiet game then they don't pop up with a goal where as Nando does, as he has proven against Villa a month or so ago.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: Feb 21, 2010 05:24:39 pm
      Thing is, the other 3 have been with a full squad for the whole season pretty much. Given the current injuries to do not reoccur, give it to the middle of March and watch us sprint away from the pack.

I've not doubted us making the top 4 simply because what we're seeing now is all our competition have to offer, and it's only enough to be 1 point better than us.

Abit of a stint, some luck, and a squad at 90% and we'll get it.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #7: Feb 21, 2010 05:28:56 pm
      I reckon we need to worry more about our own team rather than how many points the others will drop.  Because going by our lack of attacking threat and cutting edge, we'll drop just as many points.  Having Torres and Yossi back should be a boost though and hopefully will help us show more attacking intent.

Very disappointed with that draw today, and the manner of it doesn't really boost the confidence.  Some thing has to go our way though, 6 bookings today was a bloody joke from that ref, considering what City got away with.  That was just typical of our season so far!
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #8: Feb 21, 2010 05:29:41 pm
      Not a bad result today. It was more of a Must Not Lose Game than Must Win! Still 11 games to go. Plenty of points to win and lose for all teams challenging. Should I say, that we now have a decent run of games until the United game on 21st March... We should win these games, and hopefully we should be sitting on 4th place by the United game.

Looking at Spurs and City's games until that ficture of ours, points will be droped by them. Aston Villa are a worry as they have quite easy run in until they face Chelsea I think on March 17th..

Glad Torres is back..
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #9: Feb 21, 2010 05:31:45 pm
      Abit of a stint, some luck, and a squad at 90% and we'll get it.

well said mate & my thoughts exactly,

once we get the majority of our injured players back (& I include Nando in this) we will p*ss all over the mancs again, and I have a feeling we will do Chelscum again.............and we will win the UEFA Cup/Europa league/whatever name they have gave it

& one last thing.....Peter Fulton was a f**king sh*tbag today, booking Torres for a shoulder charge...maybe he needs to be demoted to sunday league reffing for a week
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #10: Feb 21, 2010 05:34:55 pm
      I'm sure we will get there, but we aren't half making things harder for ourselves, and yes it was nice to see Torres back. So  on to the next one.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #11: Feb 21, 2010 05:38:48 pm
      The team hasn't been invested in for a while. So probably not.

We also have an alarming knack of being reluctant to get the ball in the box early or to test the keeper. I'm hearing the last time we scored more than two goals in the league was all the way back in September. The last time that happened was 40 years ago. If we don't intend to improve on the attacking front collectively as a team, then we're going to find it very hard to finish fourth. And if we start accepting that draws are good results regardless of who we play, I can't see our attacking front improving.

To play football you only need to know how to pass a ball and shoot. The rest of it's in their heads.

Time's certainly running out. We need to start winning now.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #12: Feb 21, 2010 05:47:14 pm
      I'm hearing the last time we scored more than two goals in the league was all the way back in September.
      The last time that happened was 40 years ago.

!

F.F.S.

SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #13: Feb 21, 2010 05:49:44 pm
      ive got a feeling we need to go to Rafa with shanks & paisleys quotes to give us an attacking kick up the ar*e...

....or include Pachaeco in the squad, he was instrumental in making our goal on thursday night

« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010 05:55:37 pm by SpionKop88 »
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #14: Feb 21, 2010 05:59:02 pm
      I agree with what was said above:   We will be closer to 3rd than 5th come may....

We need to be positive people!   

With our team coming back to full strength  (which it hasent been in a while!) we will be fine-  Just look at our squad and bench- we are not a 7th place team!!!

Great to see Torres back- i missed him!!  We have done ok without him with Kuyt stepping up- things can only get better with Nando in the team!!

Come on lads!!!!  Do what we know you are capable of!
      DC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #15: Feb 21, 2010 06:07:29 pm
      We also have an alarming knack of being reluctant to get the ball in the box early or to test the keeper. I'm hearing the last time we scored more than two goals in the league was all the way back in September.

Ha, thats a worrying stat! And as far as I can see its in all competitions, not just the league. Might have to start putting under 2.5 goals on every week now.
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #16: Feb 21, 2010 06:29:16 pm
      i worry that neither of our competitors for 4th have Europe to distract them - but I think the three of them are as inconsistent as the other - so long as we rise above our own inconsistency (far from gaurenteed) we'll get 4th, although no doubt we'll clear own hurdle and another will appear - namely no money over the summer
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #17: Feb 21, 2010 06:50:52 pm
      So what is happening with Portsmouth?    Are they still losing their points?
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #18: Feb 21, 2010 06:56:20 pm

Looks like it. Unless they find new owners... which is unlilkley... They go back to court on 1st March
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #19: Feb 21, 2010 07:39:18 pm

Not just the points the other teams will lose but the goals scored as well.  That's if the courts don't save them.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #20: Feb 21, 2010 10:31:06 pm
      Got to remain positive and I still think we'll do it.

Just have to 'BELIEVE'
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,459 posts | 4587 
      Reply #21: Feb 21, 2010 10:35:10 pm
      Still beleive in 3rd.
      I aint giving up no chance!
      Some battles are won some are lost but the war still rages on.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #22: Feb 22, 2010 09:23:25 am
      The season still has one third to run, it will all depend on how our form is in the remaining games. We have to pick up maximum points, keep our core players fit and treat every game like a final. Approach it with confidence and approach it with a winning mentality.

Villa have the easiest of run-ins as compared to us so I reckon it would be a dogfight between us and Villa. City and Spurs have a couple more tough games to be contend with so they could fall behind a little bit.

Now that a run of 2 tough games is over (Arsenal and City) and we are still within touching distance of the 4th spot, it is time to grab the opportunity in both hands and surge forward.

Quick Reply