Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

4th Place - Achievable, but will we?

Read 46241 times
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Re: 4th Place - Achievable, but will we?
      Reply #46: Feb 27, 2010 03:08:17 pm
      Got a feeling we'll pull it off in the end. Man city struggle away to the "lesser" teams of the league and really show up for the big ones. If we can push on and pick up the points where we should be picking them up I'm confident we will win the battle for 4th.
      keephope
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 54 posts |
      Reply #47: Feb 27, 2010 03:10:46 pm
      I'm going to have to say 5th maybe 6th. This is based on our form and with 11 games to go I think (my personal opinion and i hope i'm wrong) 5th is a good finish for us this season. Someeone was going to make way for city and, with the lack of investment from them two idiots, it was bound to be us.
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #48: Feb 27, 2010 03:17:24 pm
      I'm going to have to say 5th maybe 6th. This is based on our form and with 11 games to go I think (my personal opinion and I hope I'm wrong) 5th is a good finish for us this season. Someeone was going to make way for city and, with the lack of investment from them two idiots, it was bound to be us.

To be fair the run in we have only really has to stand out fixtures that we could potentially drop points in, the rest look winnable,If we have a fairly decent side out.

City and Spurs look decent at the moment but I very much doubt they will win every game from now until the end of the season. They are not consistent enough. We need to be in order to make sure we can capitalise on their mistakes.

keephope
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 54 posts |
      Reply #49: Feb 27, 2010 03:31:36 pm
      To be fair the run in we have only really has to stand out fixtures that we could potentially drop points in, the rest look winnable,If we have a fairly decent side out.

City and Spurs look decent at the moment but I very much doubt they will win every game from now until the end of the season. They are not consistent enough. We need to be in order to make sure we can capitalise on their mistakes.

The way we have looked this season I cant call any fixture winnable. We have the potential to win them but will that potential turn into reality?
      I want the lads to go crazy and do everything needed to ensure we get that 4th spot. If we do get it then surely this season will have to be called the great escape. If not then where does that leave us in english football? I ridicule the thoughts of us being the new leeds. My answer to that is "shut it". But where does it leave us. It is something we have to look at. I dont want to ignore the fact that there is a strong possibility of us ending the season 5th or 6th. I dont want to blindly place all my hopes on 4th.
      « Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010 03:32:26 pm by Bpatel, Reason: Response was inside quote box. »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #50: Feb 28, 2010 03:54:21 pm
      Just looked at the table and after this we have 9/10 games left to play.

If we win this game we are 1 point behind Spurs who have played the same amount of games.

City have 1 game in hand and Villa have 2. Supposing they both win those games in hand we'll be in 7th place - 4 points behind 4th.

I don't know whether that's worrying or not to be honest. All 4 teams have some tough games left to play but it could be extremely difficult. Supposing we won every game we had left - we'd still need to hope that City and Villa particularly drop points - in two games at least.

But we've got the likes of Chelsea/United and we could potentially mess up against others meaning we would need the teams around us to drop even more points in the remaining 9/10 games.

Hmm.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #51: Feb 28, 2010 05:46:24 pm
      Even if we finish 4th, all the other teams in Europe will spend money this summer - we'll continue to sell our best players and carry on not investing in the team.

Maybe we won't even make the group stage next year and might get knocked out in the Qualifying Round.

That'll be different.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #52: Feb 28, 2010 06:02:07 pm
      Even if we finish 4th, all the other teams in Europe will spend money this summer - we'll continue to sell our best players and carry on not investing in the team.

Maybe we won't even make the group stage next year and might get knocked out in the Qualifying Round.

That'll be different.

Worrying and sad times ahead if that happens.  Still don't think they (the owners) realise the consequences of not investing and remaining so stubborn about selling or should I say not selling.
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #53: Feb 28, 2010 06:21:25 pm
      if we do get 4th, is it not a case of ' so what'?
      We're on a downward spiral which will only be enforced by the summer transfers (both for us and our rivals)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #54: Feb 28, 2010 06:32:48 pm
      Depressing.
      thunderbolt
      • Banned

• 8 posts |
      Reply #55: Mar 01, 2010 12:02:50 am
      yes we will, our form is due.
      shaunchef
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 746 posts | 11 
      • JFT96 YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #56: Mar 01, 2010 10:02:14 pm
      It is going to go to the wire and it is too close to call even with 10 games to go, City had a good win at '' Bridge Gate" but have been inconsistent away from home but who knows maybe they are finding there form as well, I fancy Villa to be in the running more than Spurs, all that said,  all we can do is play with the desire that we did in the first half yesterday ( Blackburn) and win all the remaining games or get as many points possible from the 30 left to play for, and after tha it is up to the football Gods and if we aren't meant to finished fourth then that is what is meant to be, atleast it will prove to the too MUPPETS that if you don't invest you don't succeed !!!!

One thing i do know is that i don't want to be counting on Evercum to do us a favour on the last day of the season !!

IRWT
      « Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010 10:10:09 pm by shaunchef »
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #57: Mar 02, 2010 01:29:42 am
      Mates I find myself looking at this thread with doubt.The omens are against us,much as though I regret to say it.For me it doesn't feel right.I listen to posts on here, both positive and negative, and sometimes I find it hard to argue against either.Injuries and suspensions are obvious problems,Rafa's tactics sometimes remain bewildering, as does the form of key players.The ownership problems remain as a black veil over our ambitions,even the fan base now comes into question,unheard of in my day at Anfield.To my generation this situation is un-tenable.Either the manager or owners have to go,or the squad has to be culled of underperformers, and we start again.Hard medicine,but we are a working class club,I would prefer that we re-develop our roots,rather than buy an instant hit.Our future is building a stadium worthey of the New Anfield name.
      yoyo-yoyo
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 151 posts | -1 
      Reply #58: Mar 02, 2010 06:08:13 pm
      wow, chasing 4th place isnt this just wonderful.......apologie s for the sarcasm but really...
      i notice some people are still talking about maybe even 3rd spot, are you guys actually watching this team play? :-[

personally i dont think we will make it, but i dont mind being proved wrong.  I find very little to be optimistic about at present. :f_steam:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #59: Mar 06, 2010 11:09:08 am
      wow, chasing 4th place isnt this just wonderful.......apologie s for the sarcasm but really...
      I notice some people are still talking about maybe even 3rd spot, are you guys actually watching this team play? :-[

personally I dont think we will make it, but I dont mind being proved wrong.  I find very little to be optimistic about at present. :f_steam:

Im a bit like that mate. TBH I would much prefer a Europa Cup win this season.

I do think we will nick 4th spot, all our challengers for 4th will be playing each other. We only have 2 hard games left at united and the chavs at anfield.

We should get enough points to finish 4th.

But I honestly would like to win the Europa even if it meant 5th place in the league or somfin. If the money is down, maybe the yanks will F off. as well. Might be a better thing for the long term future.
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #60: Mar 06, 2010 11:15:50 am
      Us - Chelsea and Man United

Let's not forget we're prone to dropping points against other sides as well.
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #61: Mar 08, 2010 12:45:13 am
      So - don't know if this has been picked up on but our final home game of the season is against Chelski.
      If, hypothetically, we have 4th place tied up by then (unlikely I know!) - who would be secretly supporting Chelski for the day in the hope of preventing an increasingly inevitable looking 19th title heading to Old Trafford???
      (ME!!!!)
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #62: Mar 08, 2010 11:20:43 am
      So - don't know if this has been picked up on but our final home game of the season is against Chelski.
      If, hypothetically, we have 4th place tied up by then (unlikely I know!) - who would be secretly supporting Chelski for the day in the hope of preventing an increasingly inevitable looking 19th title heading to Old Trafford???
      (ME!!!!)

Uniteds title hopes will be over when we thrash them at their place, if it does come down to that scenario I might even get out my plastic blue and white flag.
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #63: Mar 08, 2010 11:37:27 am
      Uniteds title hopes will be over when we thrash them at their place, if it does come down to that scenario I might even get out myplastic blue and white flag.

:lmao:

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #64: Mar 08, 2010 12:31:03 pm
      3rd is still achievable .....  but would 5th be so bad, it would defiantly be the end of H&G as they would have to lower there asking price with no CL next season

err yes, 5th would be a disaster and here is why:

1) No champs league money, meaning bugger all investment in squad, leading to more mediocre players coming in.
      2) The nice guys at RBS will see that we have no champs lge money coming in and will not extend the facility to build a new stadium leading further long term turmoil for the club
      3) The asking price for the club will be dropped, hence the yankee g*bshites will not be able to make a quick buck and exit, instead they will hang around like leeches, slowly sponging off the club until god knows what they plan to do.

call me a pessimist, but 5th place would be a disaster :(

on a positive note, i geniunely think we will make 4th spot.

shanks said it, football is simple, “If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just pop it in the net and we'll discuss your options afterwards.”

:D
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #65: Mar 08, 2010 09:48:53 pm
      What do we reckon now then?

Pretty much impossible?

Still possible?

I really can't see it now.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,279 posts | 802 
      Reply #66: Mar 08, 2010 09:52:52 pm
      Plain and simple, NO!
      We are pants, need to buck are ideas up and think about the Europa Ligue now
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #67: Mar 08, 2010 10:11:59 pm
      Think we can pretty much write the season off after that shambles of a performance
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #68: Mar 08, 2010 10:17:15 pm
      No.

Quick Reply