Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

4th Place - Achievable, but will we?

Read 46031 times
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Re: 4th Place - Achievable, but will we?
      Reply #713: May 01, 2010 07:06:32 pm
      Of course it's achievable to give up on your team and state its 'officially over' and 'put to bed' are plain wrong been spoken from the mouths of LFC fans have Grimsby fans given upon finishing 22nd ?
      In my opinion (optimistically or otherwise !) we WILL until we CAN'T !
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 994 posts | 68 
      Reply #714: May 01, 2010 07:12:33 pm
      Of course it's achievable to give up on your team and state its 'officially over' and 'put to bed' are plain wrong been spoken from the mouths of LFC fans have Grimsby fans given upon finishing 22nd ?
      Grimsby being my home town but a life long Liverpool fan i totally agree.
      Shankly managed both clubs so maybe devine intervention from the great man?
      My grandad tells some great stories about shanks.
      djdan
      • Banned

• 189 posts | -30 
      Reply #715: May 01, 2010 07:47:14 pm

I'm sorry.. but that's the attitude that enables the press to ridicule our fans.  It's like a the start of every season - "we will win it this time".  I suppose that's what you will be saying at the end of this season: "We will win the League! We will win the FA Cup! Every cup we are in! We will get a treble!!" - after all, we WILL until we CAN'T.

I much prefer a realistic attitude. Why doesn't Rafa just say "we blew it.  An utterly terrible season - worst on record for many many years.  I'm sorry... hopefully we will be able to get back to winning ways again." Honesty, and realism.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #716: May 01, 2010 07:56:54 pm
      I'm sorry.. but that's the attitude that enables the press to ridicule our fans.  It's like a the start of every season - "we will win it this time".  I suppose that's what you will be saying at the end of this season: "We will win the League! We will win the FA Cup! Every cup we are in! We will get a treble!!" - after all, we WILL until we CAN'T.

I much prefer a realistic attitude. Why doesn't Rafa just say "we blew it.  An utterly terrible season - worst on record for many many years.  I'm sorry... hopefully we will be able to get back to winning ways again." Honesty, and realism.

Either way, the man is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #717: May 01, 2010 08:02:25 pm
      I'm sorry.. but that's the attitude that enables the press to ridicule our fans.  It's like a the start of every season - "we will win it this time".  I suppose that's what you will be saying at the end of this season: "We will win the League! We will win the FA Cup! Every cup we are in! We will get a treble!!" - after all, we WILL until we CAN'T.

I much prefer a realistic attitude. Why doesn't Rafa just say "we blew it.  An utterly terrible season - worst on record for many many years.  I'm sorry... hopefully we will be able to get back to winning ways again." Honesty, and realism.

So you would rather be like the bitter blues**te then would you.  Supporters support the Club, the Players and the Manager regardless.  We can criticise but we never give up on them.  

I guess you're one of those fans who "only sings when you're winning".

Do you think we would have won in Istanbul if 45,000 fans had left the ground at half time instead of singing You'll never walk alone.  That my friend is what supporters do.
      djdan
      • Banned

• 189 posts | -30 
      Reply #718: May 01, 2010 08:10:39 pm
      ;D @ the above.

I'm talking realism.  In one game... there is always a chance of coming back.  But to say we will win the league etc when it is clear we don't have the ability to do so is too much.  Not optimism.  That's ignorance.
      djdan
      • Banned

• 189 posts | -30 
      Reply #719: May 01, 2010 08:12:17 pm
      Just one other point, can the little children around here stop trying to 'big themselves up' by giving "poor posts" to lower the "post rating".  Just because you disagree.... it's a bit pathetic.

Grow up.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #720: May 01, 2010 08:13:32 pm
      ;D @ the above.

I'm talking realism.  In one game... there is always a chance of coming back.  But to say we will win the league etc when it is clear we don't have the ability to do so is too much.  Not optimism.  That's ignorance.

And its irony that you are talking about realism.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #721: May 01, 2010 08:19:40 pm
      ;D @ the above.

I'm talking realism.  In one game... there is always a chance of coming back.  But to say we will win the league etc when it is clear we don't have the ability to do so is too much.  Not optimism.  That's ignorance.

I see someone doesn't have faith in the team he supports?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #722: May 01, 2010 08:30:29 pm
      ;D @ the above.

You ridiculed us by stating at the start of every season we say we're going to win the league - It's like a the start of every season - "we will win it this time".

Why is it ignorant of us to believe that?
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #723: May 01, 2010 08:45:18 pm
      You ridiculed us by stating at the start of every season we say we're going to win the league - It's like a the start of every season - "we will win it this time".

Why is it ignorant of us to believe that?

Exactly... it's called faith
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #724: May 01, 2010 09:08:46 pm
      I think a win against Chelsea would be a huge boost to a club that has just been shot with emotional woes all season. If we finish on somewhat of high it might just spark more interest towards our club. And if we lose, Man United won't get the title, so all in all, it's a win-win.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #725: May 01, 2010 10:21:25 pm
      Both Chelsea and City were mid table mediocre sides before the big benefactors rode into town. In fact include Villa in that as well, so a big takeover in the summer will get us back on the road again. The other clubs I mentioned wern't in the C.L. when they were  invested in, so why would financiers be put off investing Liverpool ? We might be in a sorry state by OUR standards but we're in as good a position as the other teams were when their investors took over. We deffo won't get 4th this season but we sure would next season with the required investment as long as we can keep our top players. Bit of a mixed topic I know, but just couldn't stop. Sorry.
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #726: May 01, 2010 10:58:16 pm
      So just to clear up a few things after today's results

Ideally we need a Spurs/Manc draw on Wed AND both teams to lose their last games against Burnley and West Ham respectively (both away games) that's quite a big probability and as a educated football fan ;D I would have to concede that it's not going to happen.

Who Will Finish 4th?
      Selection   Odds
      4/5
      Tottenham
      EVS
      Man City
      100/1
      Liverpool

PS have I missed anything?  :mad:
      Babel-Torres-Gerrard
      • Forum David Johnson

• 230 posts |
      Reply #727: May 01, 2010 11:21:12 pm
      If City draw against Tottenham midweek then West Ham can keep them to a point on the final weekend -PLUS Burnley beat Tottenham at Turf Moor, then it's achievable.  But unlikely. 
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #728: May 01, 2010 11:25:28 pm
      If City draw against Tottenham midweek then West Ham can keep them to a point on the final weekend -PLUS Burnley beat Tottenham at Turf Moor, then it's achievable.  But unlikely. 

Exactally, it would cause one hell of an upset though  >:D
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #729: May 02, 2010 12:19:24 am
      Really really really isnt going to happen.

I did have faith at first but it just wont happen, and, we dont deserve it.

Very negative from myself but we have played dreadfull, forgettable football and although its going to kill me watching us in the Europa next year...  Its what we deserve
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #730: May 02, 2010 01:44:52 am
      Personally No

winnie
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 108 posts |
      Reply #731: May 02, 2010 02:34:11 am
      Yes.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #732: May 02, 2010 04:45:39 am
      As i stated a few months back...NO.
      Get no pleasure from it but believe its not the worst scenario in the world. Clean slate and all that
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #733: May 02, 2010 08:41:27 am
      And we will probably only be in that on behalf of portsmouth!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #734: May 02, 2010 12:20:11 pm
      If Burnley and West Ham were still battling for survival I'd say yes.

But since they're not, it's a no from me.

Roll on next season.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #735: May 02, 2010 02:03:09 pm
      In football never say never but ffs! :mad: At this moment in time ill be made up just to have our club in sound hands and everyone still here fit and raring to take back what we have let go this year. Like you say roll on next year, i remember saying that last year too! :f_steam:

Quick Reply