Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Would Liverpool be better off with Johnson on the wing?

Read 3800 times
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 747 posts | -3 
      Would Liverpool be better off with Johnson on the wing?
      Feb 22, 2010 08:49:31 pm
      This is just an idea and one i pondered over earlier in the season during our defensive issues.

Does anyone else think the idea of Johnson and Riera as wingers would terrify defences with their dribbling ability? l
      « Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010 09:39:08 pm by hobbithead »
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: Would Johnson be better on the wing?
      Reply #1: Feb 22, 2010 08:56:48 pm
      This is just an idea and one I pondered over earlier in the season during our defensive issues.

Does anyone else think the idea of Johnson and Riera as a wingers would terrify defences with their his dribbling ability?

Fixed that for you. ;)

I do yes.

I think when Riera is on form he can take a man on sufficiently enough. Just wish we had the money to buy him a right foot.

And Johnson would be a frightening prospect on that wing. Take away the defensive responsibilities and let him loose and defences will be rightly sh*tting themselves.
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #2: Feb 22, 2010 09:00:49 pm
      Fixed that for you. ;)

I do yes.

I think when Riera is on form he can take a man on sufficiently enough. Just wish we had the money to buy him a right foot.

And Johnson would be a frightening prospect on that wing. Take away the defensive responsibilities and let him loose and defences will be rightly sh*tting themselves.

Fixed?

Did i do something wrong? If it's spelling mistakes, oops. I'm absolutely shattered and been working long hours.

EDIT*  :)

Just seen the edit, definitely need an early night.  ;D
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: Feb 22, 2010 09:03:15 pm
      Not overly sure myself - think he's good at what he does at the moment.

He offers something different and an element of surprise at times when getting forward but I'm not sure he would be able to do that throughout a whole match. Might run out of ideas?
      B52Diplomacy
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #4: Feb 22, 2010 09:05:32 pm
      It would be fun to try Johnson and Benayoun as the wingers for a game and see how that works, with dropping Gerrard back and putting Aquilani in Gerrard's position.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #5: Feb 22, 2010 09:06:53 pm
      No is the answer to that, full back and wide right are completely different positions, at no stage in his career has he played this position. Johnson reminds me of Dani Alves.

Alves started as a right midfielder but didn't excelled till he was pushed back to full back. There is a misconception among people that attacking full backs can play wide midfield they can't, Maicon, Alves, Evra they have nevered played wide midfield in there lives.

The reason for this is when a full back recieves the ball 90% he is facing the opposition he is not been marked he has space to drive onto he can use pace and power when a player plays right midfield he gets the ball a lot of the time facing his own goal with an opposition player on his back, he doesn't have the space to bomb into. He needs skill and savy to create the space.

I'll guarantee anyone here Johnson would be completely ineffective at right midfield especially with a full back like Carragher who does not overlap. Sorry for getting technical but I'm just sick of our players been played out of position.
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #6: Feb 22, 2010 09:17:47 pm
      It would be fun to try Johnson and Benayoun as the wingers for a game and see how that works, with dropping Gerrard back and putting Aquilani in Gerrard's position.

I think with the Riera and Johnson as wingers we could leave Gerrard in the hole and still use Lucas and Masch as holding midfielders. Our problem is our wingers at present either don't have good enough dribbling ability to go past players. Or if they do, ie Babel and Benayoun, they tend to come inside a lot, making them predictable. Johnson and Riera can hug the line, go past players and deliver crosses with good accuracy. This leaves getting numbers in the box, which has also been an issue all season.

I'm interested to see what Benitez does, given our defensive stability. Skrtel and Agger are putting in some good performances. Carra's delivery from the right back position is awful. But, he does give us that stability and experience at the back.

Will Benitez risk going back to Johnson or try him on the wing? Being as cautious as he appears, it's going to be interesting to see his move on this.  

Sorry for getting technical but I'm just sick of our players been played out of position.

No bother, i wondered why he hasn't been used there. Given that Degen has been played here, I'm curious to see if he trys johnson there too. Thanks for the post. Always wondered he isn't used there more often.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #7: Feb 23, 2010 01:36:30 am
      ......... either don't have good enough dribbling ability to go past players. Or if they do, I.e. Babel and .........

i.e. Babel?

Dribbling ability?
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #8: Feb 23, 2010 04:00:13 am

I'll guarantee anyone here Johnson would be completely ineffective at right midfield especially with a full back like Carragher who does not overlap. Sorry for getting technical but I'm just sick of our players been played out of position.

You really think he would be completley ineffective?

I understand what you are saying. He has never been a winger but he has urgency about him, can dribble and beat a man. As well as being able to put in a quality cross. All attributes in which we are crying out for on the wing at times.

I would give it a shot. Defo, mayaswell?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Feb 23, 2010 05:56:29 am
      No is the answer to that, full back and wide right are completely different positions, at no stage in his career has he played this position. Johnson reminds me of Dani Alves.

Alves started as a right midfielder but didn't excelled till he was pushed back to full back. There is a misconception among people that attacking full backs can play wide midfield they can't, Maicon, Alves, Evra they have nevered played wide midfield in there lives.

The reason for this is when a full back recieves the ball 90% he is facing the opposition he is not been marked he has space to drive onto he can use pace and power when a player plays right midfield he gets the ball a lot of the time facing his own goal with an opposition player on his back, he doesn't have the space to bomb into. He needs skill and savy to create the space.

Agree totally with that, although i wouldn't bet he won't succeed there at all. Has a good game style for it, but right back is where he should be in my opinion.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #10: Feb 23, 2010 08:49:54 am
      Keep him at right back! Did anyone see bilic on MOTD2? He brought up a great point of us needing full backs like man ure, where evra and rafael bomb forward! Once johnsons back we have that on the right but not on the left, insua definately doesnt do it enough!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #11: Feb 23, 2010 09:08:40 am
      If Johnson played wide he would completely lose that surprise factor he has when he defends for all he is worth and then before you can blink he's in the opposite penalty area sending a cross in or testing the goalie himself,
      He can judge when is the opportune time to wander upfield or take up a strategic less advanced role,either way it is a talent that would be missed if he took up a wingers position.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #12: Feb 23, 2010 09:31:30 am
      I think the only reason this has even come up is the fact that we haven't found a proper right winger yet.
      Kuyt is a workhorse and that's about it. Yossi is class but not a winger, in my opinion. Maxi hasn't done anything significant yet.
      Put Johnson on the wing and he'll be picked up by the opposing fullback / defensive midfielders. Play Johnson as right back and a proper winger in front of him, the opposition have a problem. Ok so he is often criticised for leaving a hole at the back but we play every game with 2 defensive midfielders, we don't need everyone defending all of the time.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #13: Feb 23, 2010 09:47:35 am

Absolutely spot on corbally. Agree with you mate. I too think it would be a mistake playing johnson right mid for the reasons you've already mentioned. 1. Hes never played there. 2. No overlapping full back.

Reply to the first thread: Riera is about as consistent as Babel. He will have one great game then the very next week he will be absolutely awful. Personally i don't think hes good enough due to his poor consistency and although he isn't a out an out winger, id much rather have Yossi there any day of the week.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #14: Feb 23, 2010 10:22:59 am
      Johnson is a good player. It's just a matter of 'for the good of the team', isn't it?

He may have shown abilities of a winger but he's done that at Right back. I'd say stick him right back. I wouldn't say he won't excel as a winger but RB is where he's at.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #15: Feb 23, 2010 12:22:26 pm
      Well there's a good chance he'll get to play on Sunday so let's see how that tumbles.
      Who knows the boss might try him wide,can't see it meself but there you go.
      Be great to have Glen back we've missed his input but I wonder how Jamie will slot in?
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #16: Feb 23, 2010 06:04:58 pm
      I'd prefer him to stay at right back. I think this is similiar to people wanting Agger at left back.

Attacking from defence is alot different to attacking from midfield.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #17: Feb 23, 2010 06:10:54 pm
      I think the title of this thread narrows the topic a little.

How about: Would Liverpool be better with Johnson on the wing?
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #18: Feb 23, 2010 06:28:55 pm
      Our defence has been solid the last few games give or take a single mistake against Arsenal . Glen Johnson gets forward alot and leaves gaps at the bacl IMO, put him on the wing and his passing and crossing ability could be a blessing especially with Nando back !
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #19: Feb 23, 2010 06:34:35 pm
      Lucky for us Rafa will never play him on the wing. Johnson is a right back plain and simple, maybe if you want to change the formation and play wing backs I'd say Johnson would be capable of playing wing back.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #20: Feb 23, 2010 07:02:07 pm

Did very well for Portsmouth when played in that position, and it probably would work if you had someone like Martin Kelly behind him at right-back.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #21: Feb 23, 2010 07:11:13 pm
      99% of the time Portsmouth played him at right back, the reason he was on the Premiership team of the season in that position, it wouldn't work but then I'm confident you won't see Rafa playing him there and as Bilic rightly pointed out the other night if Rafa is going to continue playing 2 defensive midfielders he needs attacking full backs and Johnson is as good as anyone in the Premiership in this position.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #22: Feb 23, 2010 07:22:23 pm
      I wouldn't mind seeing him play a game as a winger, just to see him show the other wingers how it should be done. But he was playing really well in right back before he got injured, so i think that's his best position.

Quick Reply