Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Would Liverpool be better off with Johnson on the wing?

Read 3799 times
      redcraig
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 172 posts | 14 
      Re: Would Johnson be better on the wing?
      Reply #23: Feb 23, 2010 07:30:17 pm
      Johnson is and always has been a full back. His ability to get forward and back is one the factors that stand him out from most other full backs. Like Cole or Alves, he is good on the ball, has pace and skill. He can also run like a hare and get back into position. Full backs do not need to be the best at tackling or heading as long as they do not shirk that responsibility.

In todays games full backs are part of an attacking tactic therefore I would play him as a full back every week. If only our left back could do it!!!!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #24: Feb 23, 2010 07:30:21 pm
      99% of the time Portsmouth played him at right back, the reason he was on the Premiership team of the season in that position, it wouldn't work but then I'm confident you won't see Rafa playing him there and as Bilic rightly pointed out the other night if Rafa is going to continue playing 2 defensive midfielders he needs attacking full backs and Johnson is as good as anyone in the Premiership in this position.

Remember seeing him playing there a few times, can't remember the Premiership team and don't give a monkeys about it to be honest, I just think it would be a change from seeing soft-arse Derek Kuyt jumping about trying to control a ball on the right-side.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #25: Feb 23, 2010 07:36:43 pm
      I'd prefer not to see a striker playing there as well but then I don't want a full back playing there either.

Gerrard is the best right midfielder at the club but if Rafa is intent on playing him behind the front man, he should play Maxi there that is Maxis position he has played there nearly 40 times with Argentina. For some strange reason Rafa seems to play him as well out of position on the left.
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #26: Feb 23, 2010 07:36:59 pm

He can and does go past people. He might look like your aunt Bethel dancing to aggadoo when he does it. But, he can go past players, a quality many of our players lack.
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #27: Feb 23, 2010 09:18:21 pm
      Better than kuyt yes, but I'd prefer to have a proper winger there. Benayoun right, babel left?
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #28: Feb 23, 2010 09:36:21 pm
      I think Johnston could become a winger, but it would take time to mould him into that position.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Would Liverpool be better off with Johnson on the wing?
      Reply #29: Feb 24, 2010 05:35:36 am
      I'd prefer not to see a striker playing there as well but then I don't want a full back playing there either.

Gerrard is the best right midfielder at the club but if Rafa is intent on playing him behind the front man, he should play Maxi there that is Maxis position he has played there nearly 40 times with Argentina. For some strange reason Rafa seems to play him as well out of position on the left.

Not strange at all Maxi is on the left. Kuyt's on the right. No one is taking his spot in the team until he retires!
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #30: Feb 25, 2010 01:40:26 pm
      With due respect to Glen, I honestly believe he's more of a winger than a defender, not much faults in him being a defender except that he tends to be rather a bit soft at times and tend to to be slow to track back compared to Skrytel, Carra and Agger. Since our defence is doing reasoanbly well of late, no need to reshuffle things at the back while we don't have a natural right winger, why not try him out as a winger till the end of the season. Put Kuyt inside the box, he's no winger and he excels inside the box while there aren't many players in the team that dare to take on the opposing defender one on one.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #31: Feb 25, 2010 01:56:46 pm
      Id rather see Johnson on the wing than Kuyt to be honest. Kuyt in behind Torres with Gerrard at RM and Benayoun out wide left.
      Back line has been our strongest part in the last two months and would rather came in as a winger until his full match sharpness comes back.
      That way if he makes a mistake hes further up the pitch and not at our goal mouth.....
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #32: Feb 25, 2010 02:23:35 pm
      Id rather see Johnson on the wing than Kuyt to be honest. Kuyt in behind Torres with Gerrard at RM and Benayoun out wide left.
      Back line has been our strongest part in the last two months and would rather came in as a winger until his full match sharpness comes back.
      That way if he makes a mistake hes further up the pitch and not at our goal mouth.....

Which wing would you like to see Johnson on if your playing Stevie right and Yossi left???????/
      I think Johnston could become a winger, but it would take time to mould him into that position.

Johnson would be good to!
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #33: Feb 25, 2010 02:26:45 pm
      Would love to see glen on the wing he looks sensational when bombing forward with very good control and a good shot him .

And if memory serves me right(might be wrong on this)we dont seem to be shipping to many goals since he,s been out,so why not?are current wingers arnt realy setting the world alight .Wenger turned a average winger into a top striker why not rafa turn johnson into a top winger??????you never know .....ynwa. ;D ;D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #34: Feb 25, 2010 02:43:57 pm
      Which wing would you like to see Johnson on if your playing Stevie right and Yossi left???????/

Johnson would be good to!
      I said Gerrard RM not RWM
      Obviously Johnson would be RWM

Johnson Gerrard Mascherano Benayoun
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #35: Feb 25, 2010 04:14:21 pm
      I said Gerrard RM not RWM
      Obviously Johnson would be RWM

Johnson Gerrard Mascherano Benayoun

Thats Centre midfield where I come from!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/rules_and_equipment/4196830.stm

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #36: Feb 25, 2010 04:16:55 pm
      Thats Centre midfield where I come from!

Well strictly speaking in Rafas formation we have two CDMs but now were being picky
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #37: Feb 25, 2010 04:51:24 pm
      Yes, but I also think we could go to 3 at the back. play 3-5-2 !
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #38: Feb 26, 2010 08:23:05 pm
      Yes, but I also think we could go to 3 at the back. play 3-5-2 !

Crikey not so sure about that mate , we have just started to get it right at the back a change this far into the season could be a disaster.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #39: Feb 26, 2010 08:43:05 pm
      Ive always thought that Johnson would be more suited to playing on the wing,as defensively he still has room for improvement,the same can be said for Insua!!Then invest in some new FB'S or give the likes of Kelly and Darby a chance to shine.
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #40: Feb 26, 2010 10:05:07 pm
      lets face it, we would all love johnson on the wing, but who would we put at right back??? im just not sure young, inexperienced guys would do any good, but maybe im wrong.....
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #41: Feb 26, 2010 10:51:21 pm
      Part of Johnson's ability as an offensive threat is that he builds up pace coming from the back and on overlaps, and that often times he is beating Midfielders off of the dribble instead of Left Backs. His greatness as an attacking Right Back would be negated as a possibly above-average winger. This would work in a video game, but I'm not so sure about on the pitch.
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #42: Feb 26, 2010 10:52:39 pm
      agreed
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #43: Feb 27, 2010 12:20:49 am
      Really only one way to find out!!!!!

Rafa, it' over to you!

Quick Reply