Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Coldplay

Read 16605 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Re: Coldplay
      Reply #69: Sep 23, 2011 06:53:47 pm
      Till Kingdom Come is one of my favourite Coldplay songs and I agree with Frankly about Viva La Vida. It's a really good album and the best they have done.

On X and Y it really it hit and miss but still some very good songs on it and I particularly like Swallowed In The Sea and A Message.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #70: Sep 23, 2011 07:55:22 pm
      Till Kingdom Come is one of my favourite Coldplay songs and I agree with Frankly about Viva La Vida. It's a really good album and the best they have done.

On X and Y it really it hit and miss but still some very good songs on it and I particularly like Swallowed In The Sea and A Message.

I'm a big fan of White Shadows from that album. But like yourself I really like A Message as well.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #71: Oct 17, 2011 03:27:33 am
      This is so unColdplay that I don't know what to make of it.

Coldplay - " Princess of China " feat. Rihanna ( Full Studio version ) Mylo Xyloto
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #72: Oct 17, 2011 09:43:33 am

Not sure what to make of that Frankly.

Strange
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #73: Oct 17, 2011 10:55:26 am
      "Mylo Xyloto will be a concept album. According to Chris Martin, the album is "based on a love story with a happy ending.", in which two protagonists: Mylo and Xyloto, who are living in an oppressive, dystopian urban environment, meet one another through a gang called "The Lost Boys", and fall in love."

Sounds like some high-level, pretentious, sh*te right there.

Tho' I'll admit to having a good laugh at the line Martin and Rihanna sing together - “You stole my star.” Brilliant.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #74: Oct 17, 2011 01:32:59 pm
      "Mylo Xyloto will be a concept album. According to Chris Martin, the album is "based on a love story with a happy ending.", in which two protagonists: Mylo and Xyloto, who are living in an oppressive, dystopian urban environment, meet one another through a gang called "The Lost Boys", and fall in love."

Sounds like some high-level, pretentious, sh*te right there.

Tho' I'll admit to having a good laugh at the line Martin and Rihanna sing together - “You stole my star.” Brilliant.

You'll maybe laugh at the meaning of the word Xyloto. Chris Martin said it was along the lines of imagining if you had feet like xylophones!! :D

Some of the stuff he says appears pretentious but I don't get the impression that he comes across as so. The worst thing said by a British popular musician this year goes to Serge from Kasabian. "We've made the first truly great British album of the past 15 years." Err no Serge. Just no!
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #75: Oct 19, 2011 04:38:15 pm
      New album has leaked. It's out tomorrow in Japan I think, not out officially in the UK until the 24th ofcourse.
      I have downloaded it, but I will be buying a copy of it upon release anyway - I always buy physical copies of albums from my favourite bands.

First off, it's absolutely brilliant! I've been waiting for their fifth album now for about 2 and a half years and it's everything I expected it to be.

Even if you're not a big coldplay fan, you have to listen to: Paradise, Charlie Brown and Princess of China. 

Has some amazing reviews aswell so far. MTV saying it may be their best album, BBC gives it a 9/10 rating which is generous from them.
      Not sure what Q have rated it but having read their track by track run down, they rate every song hugely, so i'd expect something like 9/10 aswell from them.

Everyone elses thoughts?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #76: Oct 19, 2011 06:05:46 pm
      New album has leaked. It's out tomorrow in Japan I think, not out officially in the UK until the 24th ofcourse.
      I have downloaded it, but I will be buying a copy of it upon release anyway - I always buy physical copies of albums from my favourite bands.

First off, it's absolutely brilliant! I've been waiting for their fifth album now for about 2 and a half years and it's everything I expected it to be.

Even if you're not a big coldplay fan, you have to listen to: Paradise, Charlie Brown and Princess of China. 

Has some amazing reviews aswell so far. MTV saying it may be their best album, BBC gives it a 9/10 rating which is generous from them.
      Not sure what Q have rated it but having read their track by track run down, they rate every song hugely, so i'd expect something like 9/10 aswell from them.

Everyone elses thoughts?

Read some of the reviews as well. A lot of them are highly positive indeed. There is one bad review out there though from NME (typical eh!) who have only given it 5/10. .which must mean it's pretty good! I've have resisted the urge to hear the leak but I have heard Hurts Like Heaven and Charlie Brown and they are really fantastic. Will be buying this on Monday especially after recent reviews.

Do you think it's their best album yet? Heard a couple say it's their best since 2002's A Rush Of Blood To The Head which is a pretty high watermark to beat!

p.s - here's a review from altsounds. They've given it 93% calling it one of the album's of the year.

http://hangout.altsounds.com/reviews/137077-coldplay-mylo-xyloto-album.html
      « Last Edit: Oct 19, 2011 06:22:46 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #77: Oct 19, 2011 08:12:24 pm
      Read some of the reviews as well. A lot of them are highly positive indeed. There is one bad review out there though from NME (typical eh!) who have only given it 5/10. .which must mean it's pretty good! I've have resisted the urge to hear the leak but I have heard Hurts Like Heaven and Charlie Brown and they are really fantastic. Will be buying this on Monday especially after recent reviews.

Do you think it's their best album yet? Heard a couple say it's their best since 2002's A Rush Of Blood To The Head which is a pretty high watermark to beat!

p.s - here's a review from altsounds. They've given it 93% calling it one of the album's of the year.

http://hangout.altsounds.com/reviews/137077-coldplay-mylo-xyloto-album.html

I had a little look for a review on NME but couldn't find one. Not surprised really, they hate Coldplay and it's pathetic how they closed minded they are when reviewing albums. If they've made their mind up on a band, there's no way they'll ever positively review them.

Not sure how I'd rank it amongst all their albums, but I struggle putting the first 4 into order as it is! I do generally go for A rush of blood as number 1, but X&Y, Viva and Parachutes change order for me all the time. Will take quite a few listens before I can start to compare it with the other albums. Although I love all the other albums that much that I was expecting this to be their worst album because I thought they couldn't make another classic record - so the fact it's on the same level as them, shows how good it is.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #78: Oct 19, 2011 09:43:36 pm
      I had a little look for a review on NME but couldn't find one. Not surprised really, they hate Coldplay and it's pathetic how they closed minded they are when reviewing albums. If they've made their mind up on a band, there's no way they'll ever positively review them.

Not sure how I'd rank it amongst all their albums, but I struggle putting the first 4 into order as it is! I do generally go for A rush of blood as number 1, but X&Y, Viva and Parachutes change order for me all the time. Will take quite a few listens before I can start to compare it with the other albums. Although I love all the other albums that much that I was expecting this to be their worst album because I thought they couldn't make another classic record - so the fact it's on the same level as them, shows how good it is.

I'd certainly rate A Rush Of Blood To The Head top with Viva just behind it. Parachutes is a comfortable 3rd and X&Y their weakest effort for me. I'm predicting Mylo Xyloto to be somewhere in between the top 3.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #79: Oct 20, 2011 11:29:01 pm
      Watching Jonathan Ross at the moment and he said Coldplay are coming on in a minute  ;D
      MsGerrard
      Reply #80: Oct 20, 2011 11:39:57 pm
      Sang Paradise, excellent, I love Chris Martin's voice.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #81: Oct 22, 2011 02:33:04 am
      Some reviews of Mylo Xyloto from the quality press:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/cdreviews/8838871/Coldplay-Mylo-Xyloto-CD-review.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/theticket/2011/1021/1224306152769.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/oct/20/coldplay-mylo-xyloto-review

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/2a7618ba-f910-11e0-9d4e-00144feab49a.html#axzz1bT6mNXbI

Mylo Xyloto has also beat Adele's pre record sales for her album 21 to become the most pre ordered album of all time. Surprised. Didn't think the pre record craze would be as big as Viva La Vida. But then again MX hasn't had to follow a relatively poor album like Viva La Vida did with X&Y.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #82: Oct 24, 2011 08:31:25 pm
      Giving this new album of theirs a first listen. It bounces from the energetic to the mellow. It's kind of schizo...but it somehow works.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #83: Oct 25, 2011 11:11:35 pm
      Started listening to this on the way to work this morning. Well it may be an age thing, but so far it's 'ok'

May be it will grow on me.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #84: Oct 26, 2011 12:16:45 am
      Started listening to this on the way to work this morning. Well it may be an age thing, but so far it's 'ok'

May be it will grow on me.

I came to the conclusion that it's a good record but nothing more. Worth the 8 pounds I spent on it but for me it just doesn't have the heart of their previous albums. People say X&Y was their worst but for me that was an album that had it's heart in the right place. Viva La Vida was outstanding but Mylo Xyloto isn't. It is far from terrible though. It's a good record.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #85: Dec 16, 2011 01:06:42 pm
      Alan McGee on Coldplay:
      “Coldplay are the dictionary definition of corporate rock. The singer is about as weird as Phil Collins. They are career rock personified. EMI should’ve signed Otis The Aadvark instead. At least he only sucks his thumb rather than corporate cock.”
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #86: Dec 16, 2011 01:09:38 pm
      No Rock Band should play on the X Factor...

EVER

OK?

OK.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #87: Dec 16, 2011 06:06:19 pm
      No Rock Band should play on the X Factor...

EVER

OK?

OK.

Agree mate.

I didn't realise they were on it until we flicked past.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #88: Dec 16, 2011 06:32:41 pm
      Alan McGee on Coldplay:
      “Coldplay are the dictionary definition of corporate rock. The singer is about as weird as Phil Collins. They are career rock personified. EMI should’ve signed Otis The Aadvark instead. At least he only sucks his thumb rather than corporate cock.”

Alan McGee's a deluded w*nk. Even Noel Gallagher said he got it horribly wrong on Coldplay. Also the guy can't stand U2. Amongst the other sh*t that comes out of his neddish mouth he said Glasvegas will be the biggest thing in British music since Oasis in the mid 90s. Still waiting Alan...still waiting. There's a lot of debate as to whether Coldplay should have gone on the X Factor. First of all they didn't need to do it. Secondly everyone saying 'ohhh the X Factor is destroying music'. Erm how? How can shows like the X Factor destroy music when all that comes off the production line is a one week wonder act? Some people ( a lot of them music snobs) just take life too seriously and are too ignorant to realise that it is just a tv entertainment show which millions of people enjoy. Coldplay on the X Factor said many things to many people, but to me it just highlighted the gulf in quality between an act who can write, perform their own music while playing their own instruments up against some glorified karaoke acts. At the end of the day there's no difference to Coldplay performing on X Factor than say the Graham Norton Show.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #89: Dec 19, 2011 09:39:54 am
      I don't give a sh*t what other people think about Coldplay to be honest. I think they've made some of the best music I've ever heard.

The same way I ignore some of the football experts all over the worlds who absolutely hate Liverpool FC and slag us off to the high heavens.

So. F***ing. What.

Quick Reply