Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Horse Racing

Read 83685 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,011 posts | 2087 
      Re: Horse Racing
      Reply #322: Apr 09, 2022 02:51:17 pm
      Fiddler on the roof and Longhouse Poet for me.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #323: May 29, 2022 02:27:50 pm
      Lester Piggott has died.

RIP
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,857 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #324: Mar 14, 2023 03:53:35 pm
      Constitution Hill a machine of a horse.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,011 posts | 2087 
      Reply #325: Apr 15, 2023 01:12:12 pm
      Any tips for the National today?? I'm going Le Milos!
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,652 posts | 1584 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #326: Apr 15, 2023 04:54:09 pm
      Any tips for the National today?? I'm going Le Milos!

Love the Grand National, although I'm extremely sad to hear that two horses have already died and we've not even had the race yet  :(
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,156 posts | 717 
      Reply #327: Apr 15, 2023 07:47:24 pm
      Love the Grand National, although I'm extremely sad to hear that two horses have already died and we've not even had the race yet  :(
      With the obvious Liverpool connection the National was always a big day in our house growing up. I have no interest in racing at all and It's fair to say I know nothing about thoroughbred horses. The protests today are valid and a genuine concern for the animals. I wonder if it might be time to reform steeplechase jumping? It seems to me too tough an ask to put horses through that degree of physical stress. I don't know the answer, but horses shouldn't be dying in pain for sport.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #328: Apr 15, 2023 08:47:07 pm
      With the obvious Liverpool connection the National was always a big day in our house growing up. I have no interest in racing at all and It's fair to say I know nothing about thoroughbred horses. The protests today are valid and a genuine concern for the animals. I wonder if it might be time to reform steeplechase jumping? It seems to me too tough an ask to put horses through that degree of physical stress. I don't know the answer, but horses shouldn't be dying in pain for sport.

Well said.
      3 deaths now.
      Harrisimo

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #329: Apr 17, 2023 02:59:13 pm
      Suppose the horse racing fraternity would claim these horses wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for racing. Not a horse racing fan. Worked on Aintree a lot of years ago and saw a lot of injured horses. One horse died, well broke it's leg and was 'put to sleep'.

Plenty want it stopped but it's part of racing and it won't be stopped by a few hundred protesters no matter how well intentioned they are.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,857 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #330: Apr 17, 2023 03:07:13 pm
      Suppose the horse racing fraternity would claim these horses wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for racing. Not a horse racing fan. Worked on Aintree a lot of years ago and saw a lot of injured horses. One horse died, well broke it's leg and was 'put to sleep'.

Plenty want it stopped but it's part of racing and it won't be stopped by a few hundred protesters no matter how well intentioned they are.

Any sport can be dangerous at times, horse racing no exception.
      Harrisimo

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #331: Apr 17, 2023 03:11:42 pm
      Any sport can be dangerous at times, horse racing no exception.

Very very true. Nearly all sport carries some form of risk. In horse racing Jockeys get injured on a regular basis. Protesters would claim they have a choice.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,857 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #332: Apr 17, 2023 05:00:53 pm
      Very very true. Nearly all sport carries some form of risk. In horse racing Jockeys get injured on a regular basis. Protesters would claim they have a choice.

Protesters are hypocrites & snowflakes all rolled  into one. Delaying the race doesn’t help the horses. I’m heavily involved with greyhound racing and delays really can have an adverse effects on some greyhounds. Fook the long haired louts ( protesters  ;D ) pity a horse didn’t run into one, or even two.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,573 posts | 6915 
      Reply #333: Apr 18, 2023 12:07:04 am
      National was always a big thing in my family growing up but Saturday's race was a tough watch.  Not just seeing the video of that horse that died on impact at the first fence but think it was the Canal Turn on the first lap.  Two horses careering through the crash barriers, another horse running sideways at the fence and clattering into another horse.  It was almost farcically cruel.

Wife didn't watch it and my 10 year old looked at me at the end and said 'I don't want to watch that again.'  Didn't really get any thrill from watching it which is weird as it has been a fairly big sporting occasion in my life (I've even been twice).

I don't think jump racing is under threat as there are obviously far too many vested financial interests in taking money from the poor via the gambling industry.  Classic reverse Robin Hood.  However, I do think these protests will have an effect on public opinion.  I think the peak of the Grand National's popularity days probably have passed. 

Quick Reply