Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Mountain Biking/Cycling

Read 7725 times
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Mountain Biking/Cycling
      Feb 24, 2010 10:33:17 pm
      Looking to get a new bike for going out riding on (also use it to go to & from work) wether its on the road or in the mountains. Big mountain range near me, Snowdonia ;D so ill be putting that to use very soon ;D ;D

anyone clued up on here at all on decent bikes & bike shops in town?

Much appreciated
      MsGerrard
      Re: Mountain Biking/Cycling
      Reply #1: Feb 24, 2010 10:39:33 pm
      Link

Just bought my hubby one of these for Christmas, he loves it.
      « Last Edit: Jun 13, 2011 10:25:00 pm by JD »
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 783 posts | 11 
      Reply #2: Feb 24, 2010 10:42:26 pm
      Link

That looks well boss!! Ill have to get saving up ;D Cheers MsG
      « Last Edit: Jun 13, 2011 10:25:13 pm by JD »
      MsGerrard
      Reply #3: Feb 24, 2010 10:43:27 pm
      No doubt he'll be bringing it up to Anglesey in May.
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 783 posts | 11 
      Reply #4: Feb 24, 2010 10:50:46 pm
      No doubt he'll be bringing it up to Anglesey in May.

Tell him to get it on the Marin Trail, just had a look at the map on Google, looks immense!!!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #5: Feb 24, 2010 11:08:13 pm

Who wouldn't love it that is a boss racing bike Cas.
      Got an old Claude Butler meself but haven't been on it for a few months cos of a leg injury but Anglesy is brilliant for biking, the air is so fresh.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #6: Feb 24, 2010 11:12:03 pm
      Thanks Stuey, it is a lovely bike, and you can pick it up with one hand, its that light.

Tell him to get it on the Marin Trail, just had a look at the map on Google, looks immense!!!

He's probably done that ride, not sure.

He has a Marin bike as well, wonder if that's what the trail is named after?
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 783 posts | 11 
      Reply #7: Feb 24, 2010 11:13:37 pm
      He has a Marin bike as well, wonder if that's what the trail is named after?

As far as im aware ye MsG, although it may just be a co-incidence, not sure though.

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #8: May 20, 2011 10:23:37 am
      I don't have a huge interest in cycling as a sport but I hope this isn't true. Armstrong has been an inspiration to millions.
      There's a video as well if you follow the link.

Tyler Hamilton, who was allowed to keep his Athens Olympics gold medal despite failing a doping test, has finally confessed to cheating and accused other top cyclists, including Lance Armstrong, of doing the same.

In an interview to be aired by "60 Minutes" on Sunday, Hamilton ended years of denials by finally admitting to using performance-enhancing drugs, but insisted he was not alone.

The 40-year-old said he witnessed his former team mate Armstrong inject himself with a blood-booster during the 1999 Tour de France, which Armstrong won.

"(Armstrong) took what we all took... there was EPO (erythropoietin)... testosterone... a blood transfusion," Hamilton said in an excerpt released by the CBS television network.

"I saw (EPO) in his refrigerator. I saw him inject it more than one time, like we all did, like I did many, many times."

Armstrong, who won the Tour de France seven times, has always denied taking banned substances but has repeatedly had to fend off accusations despite never having failed a drugs test.

His lawyer, Mark Fabiani, told Reuters on Thursday that Hamilton's accusations about Armstrong were untrue.

"Hamilton is actively seeking to make money by writing a book and now he has completely changed the story he has always told before so that he could get himself on "60 Minutes" and increase his chances with publishers," Fabiani said.

"But greed and a hunger for publicity cannot change the facts: Lance Armstrong is the most tested athlete in the history of sports."

Armstrong reiterated Fabiani's view on his Twitter page. "20+ year career. 500 drug controls worldwide, in and out of competition. Never a failed test. I rest my case," he tweeted.

Hamilton said he had decided to come clean after he was subpoenaed by a grand injury currently investigating Armstrong after another of his former team mates pointed the finger at him.

In an open letter to his friends and family published by various media, Hamilton wrote: "Last summer, I received a subpoena to testify before a grand jury. Until that moment I walked into the courtroom, I hadn't told a soul.

"My testimony went on for six hours. For me, it was like the Hoover Dam breaking. I opened up; I told the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. And I felt a sense of relief I'd never felt before."

Floyd Landis, who won the 2006 Tour de France but was stripped of his victory after failing a dope test, made similar accusations against Armstrong when he finally confessed to cheating after spending four years and $1 million protesting his innocence.

No charges have been laid against Armstrong, who retired in February after one of the most successful and controversial careers in professional cycling.

The Texan was diagnosed with testicular cancer in 1996 but recovered and returned to racing, winning the Tour de France an unprecedented seven consecutive years, from 1999 to 2005.

He quit when he was at the top, but made a comeback in 2009, at 37, saying he partly missed the thrill of competition but was driven by a greater cause, to help promote cancer awareness.

Hamilton was a support rider of Armstrong's at the US Postal Service team for his first three Tour de France victories.

In 2004, Hamilton won the time-trial at the Athens Olympics and was allowed to keep his medal after testing positive for blood doping because the laboratory accidently destroyed his B sample by deep freezing it.

The following year, Hamilton tested positive for a blood transfusion and was banned for two years.

In 2006 he was linked to the Spanish doping scandal dubbed "Operation Puerto" before testing positive for steroids three years later. He was given an eight-year ban after he said he had taken an over-the-counter treatment for depression.
      Reuters

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/20052011/58/hamilton-armstrong-inject-epo.html

Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #9: May 20, 2011 04:56:37 pm
      I think anyone who follows cycling knows that the majority of cyclists in the past have been on doping. Shouldn't surprise anyone if Arsmtrong or anyone ele who ever won anything in that sport was on something. It's ingrained in that sport. If you think about it, the teams themselfs could easily root out the doping if they tried, but the fact is it's ingrained in the teams aswell. All the people involved in the teams are former cyclists who for the majority all used doping themselfs. When cyclists are caught then the teams fire them and act innocent, while people in that team were probably involved in it. And I like the sport, so it does suck. But I think what's worse is the hypocrisy and taboo that surrounds it all. Ofcourse I rather they didn't use it, but if they are anyway, just allow it and all be honest about it, at least then I know what I'm watching. Not that that will ever happen.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #10: May 20, 2011 07:12:56 pm
      It'll be interesting to see what happens. I really hope its not true either, but as Dex said - its a common thing.

Would definitely tarnish his story, the man commands tremendous respect.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #11: Jun 12, 2011 07:13:04 pm
      Well in Wiggo!  Today he became only the third British rider to win the Dauphine!  Bodes well for a decent finish in the tour this year.

Bradley Wiggins secures Criterium du Dauphine win

Page last updated at 15:27 GMT, Sunday, 12 June 2011 16:27 UK

Britain's Bradley Wiggins clinched the biggest win of his road-racing career with success in the Criterium du Dauphine race in the Alps.

The Team Sky rider led by one minute and 26 seconds going into the 117.5km final stage and retained that advantage over Australia's Cadel Evans.

Spain's Joaquim Rodriguez, who won Saturday's stage, made it back-to-back wins by taking Sunday's finale.

Wiggins finished in 10th place, 11 seconds behind the Spaniard.

The win is a massive boost to the Londoner ahead of the Tour de France, which begins on 2 July.

He is the third Briton to win the traditional Tour de France warm-up race after Brian Robinson in 1961 and Robert Millar in 1990.

Wiggins took the overall lead in the race after a storming display in stage three's time trial on Wednesday.

He then produced a considerable effort on the mountain stages to control the race and maintain his lead.

"We have a plan for the Tour de France and the Dauphine was part of the plan. I'm not 100% yet," said Wiggins, whose best Tour de France finish was fourth place in 2009, but he struggled in the mountains last year.

"I am just going to have to ride my race, not put myself in the red in trying to follow [Alberto] Contador and [Andy] Schleck.

"It's clear that the podium is certainly a real possibility, but others like [Belgian] Juergen van den Broeck can also get there."

Rodriguez broke clear in the last kilometre of the stage from Pontcharra to the mountain resort of La Toussuire.

Thibault Pinot of France was second and Dutch rider Robert Gesink was third on the stage - both eight seconds behind the Spaniard.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cycling/13743749.stm

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #12: Jun 12, 2011 07:21:07 pm
      Well in Wiggo!  Today he became only the third British rider to win the Dauphine!  Bodes well for a decent finish in the tour this year.

Bradley Wiggins secures Criterium du Dauphine win

Page last updated at 15:27 GMT, Sunday, 12 June 2011 16:27 UK

Britain's Bradley Wiggins clinched the biggest win of his road-racing career with success in the Criterium du Dauphine race in the Alps.

The Team Sky rider led by one minute and 26 seconds going into the 117.5km final stage and retained that advantage over Australia's Cadel Evans.

Spain's Joaquim Rodriguez, who won Saturday's stage, made it back-to-back wins by taking Sunday's finale.

Wiggins finished in 10th place, 11 seconds behind the Spaniard.

The win is a massive boost to the Londoner ahead of the Tour de France, which begins on 2 July.

He is the third Briton to win the traditional Tour de France warm-up race after Brian Robinson in 1961 and Robert Millar in 1990.

Wiggins took the overall lead in the race after a storming display in stage three's time trial on Wednesday.

He then produced a considerable effort on the mountain stages to control the race and maintain his lead.

"We have a plan for the Tour de France and the Dauphine was part of the plan. I'm not 100% yet," said Wiggins, whose best Tour de France finish was fourth place in 2009, but he struggled in the mountains last year.

"I am just going to have to ride my race, not put myself in the red in trying to follow [Alberto] Contador and [Andy] Schleck.

"It's clear that the podium is certainly a real possibility, but others like [Belgian] Juergen van den Broeck can also get there."

Rodriguez broke clear in the last kilometre of the stage from Pontcharra to the mountain resort of La Toussuire.

Thibault Pinot of France was second and Dutch rider Robert Gesink was third on the stage - both eight seconds behind the Spaniard.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cycling/13743749.stm

So do you think Wiggins is on drugs as they all seem to be at it.well the answer is a definite NO!!!!!!!!!.
      Sky took their time picking a squad that would be completely drug free.
      Not ALL teams or ALL cyclists take drugs far from it cycling is "THE" most tested sport on the planet.
      Some people cheat in all forms of sport and life drugs are just another form of cheating.The difference with Cycling is they will probably mean you dont see your 60th birthday.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #13: Jun 30, 2011 08:54:10 pm
      You have to hope that Schleck wins the Tour (if not Wiggins of course) because to have the threat of the win being taken off Contador when the ACU finally get round to sorting his ban out would be a ridiculous situation.
      Hopefully Cav can win the green jersey
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #14: Jun 30, 2011 09:04:44 pm
      You have to hope that Schleck wins the Tour (if not Wiggins of course) because to have the threat of the win being taken off Contador when the ACU finally get round to sorting his ban out would be a ridiculous situation.
      Hopefully Cav can win the green jersey

Isn't it his previous two tour wins that are in question?  I really have my doubts about this lad.  This is the second major doping shadow to be thrown over him.  The ICU really needs to grow a set over this I think.  And I have my concerns with the Schleck brothers, mainly due to their previous manager, drugged up cheat of a rider that he was  :f_steam:

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the start on Saturday.  Hope Wiggo has a fine ride, can't see him winning the overall, but a place on the podium would be superb.  And deffo looking forward to Cav's battle for the green.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #15: Jul 01, 2011 07:56:10 pm
      Isn't it his previous two tour wins that are in question?  I really have my doubts about this lad.  This is the second major doping shadow to be thrown over him.  The ICU really needs to grow a set over this I think.  And I have my concerns with the Schleck brothers, mainly due to their previous manager, drugged up cheat of a rider that he was  :f_steam:

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the start on Saturday.  Hope Wiggo has a fine ride, can't see him winning the overall, but a place on the podium would be superb.  And deffo looking forward to Cav's battle for the green.

Last year is in doubt but if he wins again this year and then they decide to implement a ban which would be retrospective he loses it in some court room  like Floyd Landis as opposed to one the road.
      As for Riis it's ironic that Contador has joined his team this year and the Sclecks have quit and joined Leopard Trek.
      Cavendish may be hampered by the new rules regarding interim sprints but he, Petacchi and Hushovd should be fighting all the way to Paris. It would be 3 in a row if Cav can win on the Champs-Élysées
      Neitsab
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 333 posts |
      Reply #16: Jul 10, 2011 04:30:41 pm
      MsGerrard
      Reply #17: Jul 10, 2011 05:03:50 pm
      Whoa !!! Real nasty that.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #18: Jul 11, 2011 11:45:08 am
      That was a shocker.  Poor Johnny Hoogerland got cut to shreds from the barbed wire fence.  He needed 33 stiches.  Awful driving by the French TV car.

This tour has been brutal so far, there have been so many crashes that have ended up with riders breaking bones.  I can't remember a tour like it.
      Neitsab
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 333 posts |
      Reply #19: Jul 11, 2011 01:59:31 pm
      Hoogerland on the podium as he received the polka dot jersey

TOUR DE FRANCE 2011 stage 9 - Johnny Hoogerland cries on stage after being hit by a car

Respect to you Johnny.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #20: Jul 12, 2011 10:44:26 am
      Watched him and Juan Antonio Flecha struggle to finish the stage. They may not win the tour, but they will surely finish it. Such an inspiration.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #21: Jul 14, 2011 02:17:43 pm
      Geraint Thomas is away in the break in the first of the Pyranean stages today.  Had a couple of jittery moments on the first descent.  I'm sure it was coincidence but he rode past a woman waving a Welsh flag and shot across the road and off the edge :D

Fortunately he had a gentle landing on a not very steep bit but very shortly after it looked like his wheel locked and he went off the road again.  Got a bit of a chase to catch up with the rest of the breakaway now, sure his nerves will be a bit frayed.  Mon Geraint!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #22: Jul 17, 2011 06:26:44 pm
      Cavendish may be hampered by the new rules regarding interim sprints but he, Petacchi and Hushovd should be fighting all the way to Paris. It would be 3 in a row if Cav can win on the Champs-Élysées

Feared for Cav yesterday when he dropped out of the peleton on the first climb, but he got through the stage, big thanks to Bernie Eisel for riding with him.  And well in for his 4th win of this year's race today and his 19th to date!  He recovered really well, and took the first spot in the intermediate sprint after the five breakaways.  This is the first year he has really contested the intermediates and he's done well so far.

The battle for the green jersey's a good one this year, although Cav's pulled out a bit of a gap on Rojas and Gilbert after todays stage win.  Hushvod's in 4th despite not really contesting the sprints this year being Farrar's leadout man.  Petacchi got 3rd today but hasn't done anything of note so far.

I've got Wednesday to Friday off for the alpine stages this week, can't wait!  I hope Cav gets through them unscathed.  In the overall, Tommy Voeckler's done fantastically well so far to stay in yellow.  Can he win it?  That would be something!  Or will Andy Schleck do the unthinkable and actually put in a meaningful attack?!  Could it be Cadel's year or will Contador recover from the first weeks knocks and find some form?  It's a fascinating race this year, whatever happens!

Quick Reply