Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Craig Bellamy has been confirmed as the next Wales captain

Read 1678 times
      LFC LEGENDS
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal
      • Started Topic

• 98 posts | -1 
      • Ynwa
      Craig Bellamy has been confirmed as the next Wales captain
      May 31, 2007 09:20:37 pm
         Reds striker Craig Bellamy has been confirmed as the next Wales captain once current skipper Ryan Giggs retires from international football on Saturday.
      Giggs will win his final Wales cap in the Euro 2008 qualifier with the Czech Republic in Cardiff before handing the armband to Bellamy.

Manager John Toshack said: "Craig is something of a character, but I have complete faith in him as Wales' new captain on a permanent basis."

Bellamy first skippered Wales last October in matches against Slovakia and Cyprus when Giggs was injured.

Toshack added: "I immediately took Craig aside and told him he would be taking over when Ryan had left.

"Without a shadow of a doubt he is the right man for the job. He did it very well earlier in the season.

"He is committed to Wales and I would accept he is very vocal about things."
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Re: Craig Bellamy has been confirmed as the next Wales captain
      Reply #1: Jun 01, 2007 01:15:57 pm
      I'm gutted about Giggs leaving Wales, Bellers leaving Liverpool (most likely !) but happy he's getting the role, maybe he will calm down a bit.. LEG.END ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #2: Jun 01, 2007 04:50:46 pm

Manager John Toshack said: "Craig is something of a character,

What a quality quote.
      Sisowler
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts |
      • . 1977 1978 1981 1984 2005
      Reply #3: Jun 01, 2007 04:52:57 pm
      Ah its nice to see him get it but unfortunetly its more then likely he will be leaving Anfield this summer.
      Eniac
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #4: Jun 01, 2007 05:11:03 pm
      I'm gutted about Giggs leaving Wales, Bellers leaving Liverpool (most likely !) but happy he's getting the role, maybe he will calm down a bit.. LEG.END ;D

Please not. Giggs was a quiet one and did it do Wales any good? Not that I remember. The only hope of Wales to improve is a captain who kicks his mates in their lazy behinds when they play sh*t. Now Bellers can berate them officially. I think he has found the vocation of his life...:-)

Sort of the understatement of the season. :D Anyway, one of the great evils of the modern play is that there seems to be little place for characters. The marketing industry prefers pretty, bland boys who only say what their PR agent has told them and are so nice that you want to puke at them. I, at least.
      ozzyred
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts |
      Reply #5: Jun 01, 2007 05:46:02 pm
      good luck for him as wales captain but he wont b at liverpool next season
      samcharles
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 181 posts | -9 
      Reply #6: Jun 01, 2007 05:55:13 pm
      WHO CARES SELL HIM AND LETS MOVE ON ITS AS SIMPLE AS THAT,,,,,,,,, IF ITS NOT GOING TO HELP LIVERPOOL OR IF FOOTBALL MATTERS ARENT DIRECTLY TO DO WITH THE CLUB THEN IM NOT BOTHERD ABOT THAT  NEWS ONE BIT......... SELL HIM AND LETS MOVE ON.....ITS AS  :D AS COLD AS ICE ............ :D
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #7: Jun 01, 2007 06:29:36 pm
      WHO CARES SELL HIM AND LETS MOVE ON ITS AS SIMPLE AS THAT,,,,,,,,, IF ITS NOT GOING TO HELP LIVERPOOL OR IF FOOTBALL MATTERS ARENT DIRECTLY TO DO WITH THE CLUB THEN IM NOT BOTHERD ABOT THAT  NEWS ONE BIT......... SELL HIM AND LETS MOVE ON.....ITS AS  :D AS COLD AS ICE ............ :D

forum rule

5. Do not post IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.  Your post will be deleted - even if you spent 3 hours typing it. Repeat offenders will be banned.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #8: Jun 03, 2007 09:12:38 pm

To be fair though, it is directly beneficial to Liverpool, as it can spur him on if he is to stay on at Anfield (admittedly unlikely now) or it could push his value up! The captaincy may help his character, make him a little more refined on the pitch! Good luck to the lad anyway! 8)
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: Jun 06, 2007 10:00:56 pm
      Eniac, I think being captain will maybe calm him down a bit, but he will always have a fiery temper, he will never be as quiet as Giggsy, everyone knows that. I think now though he will be representing his country, not just himself, so if he misbehaves we look bad, not just him. I hope.
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #10: Jun 06, 2007 10:17:18 pm
      i thought Bellamy would be a v good sign for the club . i thought his pace and finishing were "the final piece of the title winning jigsaw " but after his first season he has gone down in my expectation as a player and as a person after the riise thing glad he is leaving now tho because we don't really need him at the club we are linked now with players that make Bellamy look like a sunday league bench warmer
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #11: Jun 07, 2007 04:59:40 pm
      Bottom line is we need a good goalscorer who's gonna score at least 20 in the league.

Quick Reply