Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

World Cup Memories

Read 4913 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      World Cup Memories
      Mar 04, 2010 05:29:29 am
      World Cup 2010 is coming and I cant stop thinking about it. The whole world stops to me during the WC. I always try to watch as many game as I can live, and then download all the others I havent watched, and just cant think or talk about anything else.

When this time comes and we are only 100 days from it, I find myself thinking about the previous WCs I had the pleasure to watch. Having seen my country win it twice in my lifetime, most of my memories are sweet ones. But France exists to remind me it's not always that great. Anyway, winning or losing, it's always a great moment.

So let's share our best/worst memories about the World Cups!

The first one I ever watched was the WC 94, in the US. I was 7 years old then, but I remember everything about it. I'm sure the fact Brazil won it helped to keep those memories with me. The final was something out of this world. There were around 20 members of my family in my grandpa's house watching the game. We were all nervous as hell... Brazil couldnt win it for 24 F***ing years, and a defeat to Italy would mean we were no longer the biggest champions. This would of been a nightmare. But thanks to the greats Romario, Bebeto, Dunga, Aldair, Taffarell, Jorginho, and all the others, I experienced something that probably consolidated my love for the game for the rest of my life. I remember like if it was yesterday... running to my Portuguese grandpa as Baggio missed the penalty, with tears in my eyes, and he would hug me and celebrate like a typical Brazilian.

I could talk about the other WCs forever, but I may share those experiences later, cause no other was as intense as the one above.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: World Cup Memories
      Reply #1: Mar 04, 2010 06:22:02 am
      Australia v Italy, Germany 2006.

Australians complain, complain, complain about Grosso diving in the box in stoppage time and Italians are divers and cheats etc. but WTF was Lucas Neill doing sliding in on a tackle in his own box at that stage of the match? Grosso was on the byline and had nowhere to go which meant he would play for a corner, but Neill comes in and takes him out.

Not to mention Materazzi was sent off in that match and the Socceroos were against 10 men for almost the whole of the second half, yet say 'We nearly beat them and they won the World Cup. Go Socceroos!!!!' when they were dominated on the ball, did nothing when they had the majority of the ball and lost to 10 men!

I love Australia, i love everything about it, but the Socceroos going down to Italy was a World Cup memory i will love.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #2: Mar 04, 2010 07:40:28 am
      Yeah, but that was a pretty blatant dive by Grosso though. :P
      Totti was the one who converted the penalty right?

I remember shouting at the then  Argentinian coach Jose Pekerman in the Quarter Final match against Germany.It was only around 70minutes and he had taken off Riquelme and Crespo. I said he would repent it, and he did. :D
      Was gutted, really like the Argentinian team back then with Riquelme.  :f_wah:
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3: Mar 04, 2010 08:44:43 am
      My first was probably the World Cup 1998 but I can only vaguely remember it. Obviously, that Michael Owen goal was a great moment.

In South Korea/Japan 2002, Fernando Torres' goal against Ukraine was class when Carlos Puyol took the ball all the way from his own half and even did a 360 on the way.

Germany 2006 ... Steven Gerrard finishing as England's top scorer with .... 2 goals! His goal against Trinidad and Tobago deserves a mention.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #4: Mar 05, 2010 03:11:14 am
      Alberto Carlos 1970 and THE greatest goal EVER in the world cup. Loads of really slow passing, finally reaches Pele who just rolls the ball for Carlos to smash the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

Josimar's goal against Northern Ireland and most of Maradona's goals in 86

Brazil v Italy in 82 and Paolo Rossi's hattrick, Tardelli's goal and celebration in the final.

Romania and Gheorge Hagi wiping the floor with the Argies in USA 94.

Owen's goal in 98, soft-arse getting sent-off, the fact England should of beat Argentina that night but for a bit of dodgy referreing in disallowing Campbell's header. T

The French steam-rolling Brazil in the final.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: Mar 05, 2010 07:20:43 am
      England v Brazil in 2002 was a good match.

Owen put England up and then Brazil just realised England were sh*t and battered them.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #6: Mar 05, 2010 01:43:47 pm
      Alberto Carlos 1970 and THE greatest goal EVER in the world cup. Loads of really slow passing, finally reaches Pele who just rolls the ball for Carlos to smash the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

carlos alberto

Josimar's goal against Northern Ireland and most of Maradona's goals in 86.

Josimar 1986 World Cup
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #7: Mar 05, 2010 03:36:15 pm
      miguelred
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts |
      Reply #8: Mar 05, 2010 05:38:46 pm
      Italy 90, Germany scored in the 88' but Freddy Rincon reclaimed a point to the Colombian hopes in 93'.

empate Colombia vs Alemania Italia 90

It si not the WC but was the last match of the qualification to USA 94, Argentina - Colombia in Monumental, Maradona in the previous said "We have to keep the history: Argentina up, Colombia down."

We humilliated them, five times  :D

Colombia 5 - Argentina 0
      « Last Edit: Mar 06, 2010 12:39:51 am by miguelred »
      MrKite
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 475 posts | -2 
      Reply #9: Mar 05, 2010 06:02:11 pm
      First World Cup I remember was when I was 11 and witnessing World Cup 2002. Remember coming home from school on the Friday and learning England had beaten Argentina. That surprised me. Then remember when England went 1-0 up against Brazil but such was England's ineptness mostly on the touchline, Brazil won it fairly comfortably 2-1.

I looked forward to Germany 2006 - turned out to be an utter snoozefest that isn't worthy of a mention from myself. Because of that I'm not that excited about the upcoming World Cup.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #10: Mar 05, 2010 06:18:05 pm
      It si not the WC but was the last match of the qualification to USA 94, Argentina - Colombia in Monumental, Maradona in the previous said "We have to keep the history: Argentina up, Colombia down."

We humilliated them, five times  :D

http://www.youtube.com/v/MyvnXemunk0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&

I didnt know you are Colombian, mate!

I was really young by the time but I remember all the fuss about the Colombian team after that amazing victory at the Monumental. Shame you guys couldnt make it to the 2nd round, and very sad what happened to Escobar.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #11: Mar 05, 2010 06:26:04 pm
      Could mention so many different ones that could be mentioned but one of the the best has to be Zidane's performance in the 06 world cup, most people only ever associate that world cup with Zidane headbutt, but he was absolutley fantastic throughout the tournament, he played such a huge part in getting them to the final and for me he was player of the tournament despite what happened with Materazzi, earned himself the Golden Ball.

Captaining his country and at the end of his career too, the match against Brazil in the quarter final in particular was amazing, he really carried France through it and he was so graceful on the ball, I always think of him doing that Marseille roulette trick in that match, taking on an awesome Brazilian team. Easily one of the best players of my generation, if not the best.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #12: Mar 05, 2010 06:32:42 pm
      I looked forward to Germany 2006 - turned out to be an utter snoozefest that isn't worthy of a mention from myself. Because of that I'm not that excited about the upcoming World Cup.

I know it wasnt the best WC ever, but I disagree. For the importance of the ocasion, it's always worth watching, and there are always very exciting moments.

Some of my favourites are...

- Holland vs Portugal (one of my favourite matches ever), never forget Deco and Gio, both Barça players then, together after being sent off:
      deco & gio van bronckhorst

- Italy vs Germany (even tough I wanted the germans to win, that Grosso goal and celebration reminded me a lot of Tardelli in 82)
      Grosso Goal- Italian Announcer

- Argentina's goal vs Serbia
      Argentina v Serbia Montenegro - 2-0 Cambiasso SBS Tyler
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #13: Mar 05, 2010 08:29:17 pm
      Will always remember this;

Rivaldo Dive - 2002 World Cup

:lmao: What an idiot.
      miguelred
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts |
      Reply #14: Mar 05, 2010 11:15:26 pm
      I didnt know you are Colombian, mate!

I was really young by the time but I remember all the fuss about the Colombian team after that amazing victory at the Monumental. Shame you guys couldnt make it to the 2nd round, and very sad what happened to Escobar.

Yes we had everything but mentality in that WC. It's a disgrace what happened to Escobar who, just remembered, scored a goal in Old Wembley.

The last generation of colombian footballers is very rich in quality like that generation, but they have a very poor mentality, thinking more about money than football.
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #15: Mar 06, 2010 05:55:02 am
      All my memories are coming in 97 days time.Ive managed to get my hands on some tickets

Spain vs Honduras
      Netherlands vs Denmark
      1 of the quarter final games

Cant wait for June to come.

I just want to say well done to SA for all the hardwork.Job well done.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #16: Mar 06, 2010 06:32:07 am
      All my memories are coming in 97 days time.Ive managed to get my hands on some tickets

Spain vs Honduras
      Netherlands vs Denmark
      1 of the quarter final games

Cant wait for June to come.

I just want to say well done to SA for all the hardwork.Job well done.

Thats great mate! I cant wait for 2014, gonna be amazing... a World Cup final only 10 minutes from my home ;D

And then in 2016, the Olympic Games in my city. Cant wait!!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #17: Mar 06, 2010 07:26:28 am
      John Aloisi scoring the penalty that put us into the '06 world cup. Love it!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #18: Mar 06, 2010 12:18:20 pm
      That Cambiasso goal for Argentina is sensational.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #19: Mar 06, 2010 12:39:45 pm
      I was 4 in 1998, so I don't remember too much of it, especially as I wasn't into football then. So my first memories were in 2002. Apart from England's matches, one of my best memories was playing football outside with my Dad, when the next door neighbour told me that Germany were beating Saudi Arabia 7-0. So, I went in to watch it, and Ballack scored a freekick to make it 8. I remember it was a glorious day as well.

Really cannot wait for June. ;D
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #20: Mar 06, 2010 12:50:09 pm
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #21: Mar 06, 2010 01:38:59 pm
      Man I can't wait.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #22: Mar 06, 2010 02:15:02 pm
      I swear. I'm going to have a calender in my room in a few days, ticking off dates till the 10th of June. :P

Quick Reply