Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Liverpool = Monday Night football. Consequences?

Read 5265 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Liverpool = Monday Night football. Consequences?
      Mar 06, 2010 05:18:25 pm
      We've already got our next two Premier League fixtures pencilled in for a Monday night.

I know that none of the other top four chasers are playing this weekend, but I'm just wondering what the effects of a sustained Europa League campaign would be on us in the Premier League.

If we continue further in to the Europa League I'd imagine we will see more of our weekend games pushed back to at least Sunday, and possibly more Monday nights.

Meaning, on most occasions, we will be playing after our competitors have played.

Surely this will place less pressure on them, and more pressure on us.

My gut feeling is that it is a negative, rather than a positive.  I'm interested as to what you think.
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Re: Liverpool = Monday Night football. Consequences?
      Reply #1: Mar 06, 2010 05:39:28 pm
      It's the price we have to pay for our woeful form from End of September until the  turn of new year  JD
      I actually feel that getting knocked out of the Europa League now would have a detrimental effect on the remainder of the premiership season, as confidence would be enormously affected.
      I also think that the likes of Gerrard, Torres, Johnson, Benayoun. Should be relatively fresh towards the end of the season. Plus we have a large enough squad to bring in players like Rodriguez, Pacheco, should we need to I defo want to see us pushing for a place in the final at Hamburg on 16th May, as well as overtaking Man S*itty Spurs  or any of the top three if they completly capitulate for that 4th spot
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2: Mar 06, 2010 05:43:30 pm
      I guess it depends on their results JD.  If they drop points then we can play with a bit more freedom maybe.  As hard as it is to ignore other results we need to concentrate on us and us alone.  Even if we win every remaining game we still aren't guaranteed 4th place but it does give us a fighting chance.

On a positive note, more chance of locals getting tickets or less day trippers.  On a negative, probably won't be a sell out.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #3: Mar 06, 2010 05:46:05 pm
      On a positive note, more chance of locals getting tickets or less day trippers.  On a negative, probably won't be a sell out.

Was just gonna say this. Monday games usually mean less whoppers and a better atmosphere.

Tottenham monday match! Class night that was.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #4: Mar 06, 2010 07:01:39 pm
      Not very sure how it is gonna affect the ticket sales and all that, you guys are better judge of that.
      But I completely agree with the 'pressure' point.
      Plus you gotta see it from the viewers' point also. I personally don't like monday matches, always waited for the weekends where I would sit down completely free, just have snacks and watch football. But no such fun on monday, that too late at night. :(
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #5: Mar 06, 2010 07:22:00 pm
      If we progress in Europe that means we must be winning matches which can only breed confidence for the lads.

I'm just looking through our fixtures on .tv and we've only got three games on a Saturday during the remainder of the season anyway - Birmingham (3 April) Burnley (24 April) and Chelsea (1 May). So a sustained run in Europe wouldn't really change that many matches would it?

As for other teams playing before us, well that doesn't bother me a great deal anyway. It's up to us to win our own games and hopefully the others will slip up. I can't see us playing after them giving them any sort of lift. They just have to win their games in the same way we have to win ours regardless of whether that's on a weekend or midweek.
      flameswaveswords
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #6: Mar 06, 2010 07:31:50 pm
      maybe it does effect us, maybe it doesn't. we have to win matches. and it doesn't matter if the boys do that on saturday, sunday or monday. i'm optimistic that we are going to see our reds finishing this season in a proper way. key-players came/come back from injuries and maybe lads like maxi are going to show their full potential.
      yozz1982
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts |
      • http://kitster29.deviantart.com/
      Reply #7: Mar 06, 2010 07:38:54 pm
      We just have to win all of our games and hope the others around us drop points, weather its Saturday, Sunday or Monday it will be very tight
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Mar 06, 2010 09:19:36 pm
      In the past I'd be inclined to say the added pressure would be no good for us.

But given the state of this season so far, with us having a small amount of games left, I think we need the added pressure to perform and show the bottle. It's very clear to me that we can't settle for any more draws.

Sounds a bit soft, I know. But I think we need that pressure for us to perform and stay one hundred percent focused.
      SODMG
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts | -1 
      • S.O.D Money Gang
      Reply #9: Mar 06, 2010 09:21:14 pm
      We have done well when put under pressure this season.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #10: Mar 06, 2010 09:31:00 pm
      Interesting point JD. I think the mentality that Rafa sends the lads out with helps but them in the right frame of mind and helps them to get over external factors/pressures. Therefore, i don't see it being a big issue. However, i think i speak for all fans of football clubs, when i say that i would perfer to watch my club play on a Saturday afternoon.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #11: Mar 07, 2010 12:01:55 am
      We currently don't have that option of dropping points anymore. Every game has become a must-win.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #12: Mar 07, 2010 08:54:39 am
      Players got to spend more time with their familys and should be well rested now, so it's not a bad thing for them.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,886 posts | 6818 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #13: Mar 08, 2010 05:45:01 am
      Can see where you are coming from JD but at the end of the day we all have to play 38 games, doesn't matter when we play them, we just have to win them and hope those above drop points consistently.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #14: Mar 08, 2010 06:21:10 am
      I believe the pressure thing can actually work in our favour because many a times we take games too casually and later keep our fingers crossed hoping for our rivals to slip up too.However knowing that we have no other option but to win our match in order to keep pace with our competitors can spur us to go for it.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #15: Mar 08, 2010 12:51:34 pm
      But the monday games coming up - Portsmouth and West Ham - should be games we are knocking the goals in. And the pressure works both ways - if they slip up on the Sat / Sun - they have to then worry about us stealing a march on them.
      JerilKuruvila
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #16: Mar 08, 2010 01:50:17 pm
      I guess it depends on their results JD.  If they drop points then we can play with a bit more freedom maybe.  As hard as it is to ignore other results we need to concentrate on us and us alone.  Even if we win every remaining game we still aren't guaranteed 4th place but it does give us a fighting chance.

On a positive note, more chance of locals getting tickets or less day trippers.  On a negative, probably won't be a sell out.
      I was about to tell this. Take the positives and we will be in TOP FOUR
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #17: Mar 08, 2010 02:02:33 pm
      Liverpool always do well under pressure especially under Rafa especially for the 4th spot.

So it could prove to be a blessing in disguise.

But then I understand your point too. Remember that for glory a higher price always has to be paid.
      Red_Dazzle
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #18: Mar 08, 2010 02:35:29 pm
      I heard someone phone into LFCTV at the weekend about this and he had some stats about how poor we are when we play on Monday nights. I can't remember the detail but something about not winning our last 7 games on a Monday or something. Anyone else got the details and do you put any importance on this sort of stat? I know it shouldn't mean anything but maybe it's too much just to be a coincidence?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #19: Mar 08, 2010 03:05:24 pm
      It all depends on how you look at pressure. I think having the run in the Europa League and playing on Monday is perfectly fine. The team seems well focused now and a good run in the Europa League can only breath more confidence into the squad. Lets have Citeh and Spurs fear their games in the knowledge we will be at our best and win ours. Come on Liverpool!
      Murph
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts | 17 
      Reply #20: Mar 08, 2010 03:08:00 pm
      Take every game as it comes, be it Monday nights or Sunday 4pm
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #21: Mar 08, 2010 04:15:11 pm
      I like it!

Means I can goto pub or scoop in the house, As I get my kids at the weekend!

I also think it does us no harm.

Today we can go back into 4th and put points on the board before our rivals.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #22: Mar 09, 2010 12:11:50 am
      I hate Monday night football  :f_wah:

Quick Reply