Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Wigan 1-0 Liverpool: Post Match Nuclear Fall Out

Read 36253 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Wigan 1-0 Liverpool: Post Match Nuclear Fall Out
      Reply #253: Mar 09, 2010 12:18:54 pm
      Last night was one of the most embarassing displays i have ever seen by a Liverpool team and everyone has to shoulder the blame.
      The owners are a disgrace and last night so was the manager, his staff and the players who are turning into the biggest bunch of overpaid wasters ive ever seen.

I exclude Pepe from any criticism and at least Macsch got stuck in but the rest can F**k off. Where do you start?

The players - Got to say we prob have the weakest left back in the entire league and last night he was out of his depth against Charles bloody Nzogbia FFS. Teams now target Insua and it is ripping us apart. He is slow, his positioning is terrible and when he has the ball he doesnt look comfortable.
      Gerrard was bullied by a 19 year old kid who had fire in his belly and was desperate to win.
      Maxi was anonymous the entire match.
      Lucas is NOT brazilian, he just cant be.
      Kuyt was just awful and gave the ball away so often and found it impossible to control a simple pass.
      I could go on but whats the ponit......

The Manager - thought his tatctics were questionable again. I have no problem if he wants to start a match with the sytem we played but surely when we are one down and getting pumped and with certain players having a nightmare he has to change things.
      I know he took Lucas off with less than hour gone but he replaced him with a bloody full back so he could 'Free' Mascherano. We were desparate for a goal and had an embaressment of offensive players on the bench! But for me that wasnt the worst decision.
      How Kuyt got to play 82 minutes is beyond me. Babel has been scoring recently and looking sharp yet he gets 8 minutes to somehow turn the game round.

There was a complete lack of passion and desire which has been in our game since August. Wigan have lost more matches than us and are in a relegation fight yet look at there desire to win and there togetherness, we could maybe learn a thing or two.

I have no idea what the answer is and there have been no signs of it improving, the players clearly are not responding to the manager any more so what do you do?
      I have always supported Rafa but on these performances something must change wether its the staff or the players, but i suppose if we dont get 4th there may well be massive changes anyway.
      Don't get me wrong the players are as much to blame. I did see an inept performance from Gerrard, I did see Kuyt assist in Wigan's goal, I did see both Kuyt and Gerrard give countless balls away. I did see Lucas who again just looks out of his depth, I did see Insua be made to look like a mug on a handful of occassions. They were a disgrace to the shirt, fecking disgusting! Thoughs match going fans should be given their money back.

However, who's team is it? Who's instructions are they playing under? Who trains them? Who is supposed to train 'game patterns' with them? Who buys them? Who decides to leave a 20Million pound player on the bench for most of the season?

If every footballing fan in the world regardless of their team highlighted the players at fault for their teams demise, no manager would ever be sacked would he?

The buck stops with the manager, end of.
      As a Reds fan for over forty years now my next statement may seem contradictory to the word ‘fan’ but for the first time in god knows how many years I actually thought we would lose last night, if you take into account the fact that I like a lot of supporters never see anything but a Liverpool win even if we are away at Man U. and going through the worst form imaginable  you will see last nights lack of optimism was far removed from the normal rabid biased red supporters path I normally follow.

We have been picking up points lately playing the most uninspiring football I have seen in many a year but beggars cant be choosers and whilst it would be nice to replicate the powerful attacking style we seemed to master last year at this stage of the season getting the points to propel us into fourth is all that matters no matter how they are obtained. A problem I do have with this scrappy style of winning games is there is such a fine line between winning the points and losing them as picking up points in games when maybe you shouldn’t can just flatter to deceive even if Man Utd do seem to have attained some of their recent triumphs by employing those tactics successfully!

So we get to last nights match, away at Wigan a team struggling to get points from anyone, a team with no players to fear a team with no secret weapon as in Stokes case and most importantly a team with Titus Bramble at the back when frankly Alan Carr could do a better job. I didn’t see all these factors as reasons we would win more a really well put case as to why we would lose add to that the Market Garden they call a pitch (I know both teams had to play on it) and honestly I could see us coming home with nil points from the WD40 stadium.
      Last night for the first time Liverpool exposed all their frailties for all to see, everyone to a man looks unhappy and totally oblivious to what their role in the team actually is, Gerrard and Carra so long untouchable to criticism of any sort look frustrated and bemused as they struggle constantly to gain some of the form we know they are capable of and once our bedrocks begin to doubt it doesn’t take long for the rest of the team to follow suit.

Defensively only Kyriakos came out the game with any sort of respectability but seeing we had the afore mentioned out of sorts Carra, the out of position Masch and the out of his depth Insua to compare with anyone slightly on his game would have come across in the same way. In midfield we had Benayoun and Maxi on the flanks well I say flanks but to be honest they spent more time inside than the Kray twins did as they constantly wandered into the middle and helped to bung up an already over congested midfield, a midfield that contained a despondent Stevie G who frankly has so alarmingly lost form I can only wonder how happy he still is at Liverpool and whilst no player would be happy with our current form its times like these the Captain needs to step up (again) and not be moaning at players and flicking V signs at referees even if he is frustrated with the ineptitude of those around him. As for Lucas all that can be said has been said before and the longer he stays in a red shirt the more detrimental it is to a manager I once had 100% belief in.

Attack wise we had Kuyt a fantastic professional with a marvellous attitude but alas sadly lacking in what it takes to add some thrust offensively, yes he works hard but so does Jimmy Bullard and I don’t want him playing for us either. Torres is obviously as fed up as everyone else and also trying to gain match fitness and find his eye for goal again so his Stevie Wonder finishing in front of goal last night can be overlooked.
      We are having a nightmare season and it doesn’t seem to be improving anytime soon and when you see Rafa come out and actually blame the team for their own inept performance rather than that of a team using bully boy tactics or a ref who didn’t go to Spec savers you know we are in worrying times indeed especially given Rafa’s previous unshakeable belief in his players now seems to be tested to the limit.

There are 101 reasons for this seasons dilemma’s and they will not be rectified by just sacking a manager or welcoming a new sugar daddy in to replace Cagney and Lacey, numerous changes need to be made before we can even steady the club never mind drive onwards and upwards, frankly it is not the loss of next years Champions league participation that worries me more the fact we may be embarrassingly replaced in that competition by Villa, City or Spurs! It’s A bit like Barca or Real Madrid giving way to Sporting Gijon.

I Love Liverpool more than I can say as we have been through so much together so please who ever is still left at our club who shares the passion could they please pull their finger out and sort this mess out before we implode into mediocrity.

I haven’t posted for a while as I feared nothing but blind faith was becoming the norm on these boards and anyone who criticised the manager or the team was swiftly shot down and regarded as not a true fan, but as they say ‘I cant take it no more’ and just wanted to blow off some steam, here’s to a trouncing of Lille on Thursday and all my worries being forgotten because never forget
      we are Liverpool FC. ;)

Can't argue with those three posts.

I'm still angry from what we had to endure last night. And as much as I'm relieved that Rafa came out after the game and was very pissed off - because lets be honest, he F***ing had to - that doesn't make things alright.

The players went out last night representing us. And it was the manager who sent them out.

The last thing I want to hear before the Lille game is any talk from a Liverpool player or the manager of how we're going to put things right.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #254: Mar 09, 2010 12:27:00 pm
      The last thing I want to hear before the Lille game is any talk from a Liverpool player or the manager of how we're going to put things right.

Aye. Heard it all to often.

Im not even looking at pre-match press these days, i used to be all into it but im just sick of letting a little speech get my hopes up about "turning the corner"

When ive seen 11 players consistently playing to the limits their bodies have, and then more, only then will i let myself believe we have turned that corner.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #255: Mar 09, 2010 12:42:04 pm
      Aye. Heard it all to often.

When ive seen 11 players consistently playing to the limits their bodies have, and then more, only then will I let myself believe we have turned that corner.

Limits their bodies have? Nowdays, this 'limit' seems to be somewhat more 'limited' in out team compared to other teams and indeed players of the old. Didn't Gerry Byrne play 90 minutes with a broken collarbone? that's playing to your limits :)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #256: Mar 09, 2010 01:08:33 pm
      Good post glen,have to say i agree with you.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #257: Mar 09, 2010 01:14:41 pm
      Once we conceded the first goal he should have brought babel n instead of glen johnson, babel and aquilani showed some signs of urgency and increase in pace of game ,

Feel torres needs players like them around him more than kuyt or lucas .. IMO torres gerrard looked off colour.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #258: Mar 09, 2010 01:19:56 pm
      Is Rafa blind? I mean why would he play Maxi again last night. Since he has arrived he has done F**k all. Yet he keeps playing him. When Maxi was with Athletico he looked brilliant. Now he looks 12. How come when Arsenal lose there best players through injury like Van Persie and Fabregas they can still win games whereas if we lose Torres and Gerrard for any long period we are fu**ed. Looking at that game last night its obvious to me that we need about 4 maybe 5 new players to compete at the top of the league. And thats not going to happen cos we have no money so Liverpool FC are screwed. Gerrard has given up. Carra is probably playing his last season. Torres will F**k off cos he wants to win trophies. Kuyt is useless. Yossi is sh*te. Lucas is getting worse as he gets older. Aquilani would probably do a job for us but our incompetent manager wont start him. He cost us 20 F***ing million pounds. Its crazy. I have never felt this way before about the team i love. Im hurt.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #259: Mar 09, 2010 01:27:59 pm
      Our Beloved Leader waited until the 83rd minute before bringing off Kuyt! (Incidentally it's shouldn't be  pronounced "Kout" as in "shout", but "Kite" as in "sh...") He put one slide rule pass last night. Unfortunately it to one of their players. Why on earth did Benitez keep him on for so long when he was obviously out of form.  As for Maxi, he should be renamed "Mini". He was totally anonymous for the whole game. Insua? If there is a worse left back in the premiership would somebody point him out? Lucas? At least for the first time in living memory, Benitez substituted somebody before 60 minutes. Lucas is a liability. He gives away more free kicks than Mascher despite not being as effective. Benitez substituted Beni instead of Maxi  He's a tactical genius? As Jim Royal would say...my a.se. It's obvious that he has lost the players. Trouble is we can't afford to get rid of him. 
      bgwdivemaster
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts |
      Reply #260: Mar 09, 2010 01:33:51 pm
      Why can't you just say you checked your phone, you proud kiwi. Need you tell us that you are using a blackberry.  >:D

Nothing special about a blackberry mate :)  Just a boring work phone most of us are burdened with.  Personally I prefer cheap throw away phones ;D

I thought a good night's rest would help but still gutted about our loss...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8513 
      Reply #261: Mar 09, 2010 01:34:40 pm
      It's obvious that he has lost the players. Trouble is we can't afford to get rid of him. 

What does that say about the petulant, over-paid shower of cu*ts that represent us on the pitch.

F***ing hell, I don't give a F**k if they don't want to play for the man, but at least show some pride when pulling on that shirt.
      uncleRico
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 287 posts |
      Reply #262: Mar 09, 2010 01:35:25 pm
      worst performance I've seen in 17 years supporting liverpool. Cant blame rafa for this one, players were just awful. Sloppy passing, couldnt string more than 2 passes together. Stevie didnt look one bit interested
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #263: Mar 09, 2010 01:38:32 pm
      Gerrad and kuyt and yossi need to be dropped.Insua well little said the better.Wigan played good football thier movement was good and at times made us look sh*t.

I heavily disagree that Yossi needs to be dropped
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8513 
      Reply #264: Mar 09, 2010 01:44:37 pm
      worst performance I've seen in 17 years supporting liverpool. Cant blame rafa for this one, players were just awful. Sloppy passing, couldnt string more than 2 passes together. Stevie didnt look one bit interested

Sorry to say, but i've seen far worse, does getting beat 1-0 by Wigan make it worse than getting twatted by Coventry 5-1 under Souness, embarrasing ourselves in France against Strasbourg under Evans or some of the embarrassing performances we had to put up with in the last two years of Houllier.

It was bad last night, watching the gutless shower that were supposed to call our players, but to say it was our worst performance sounds a bit Hansenesque from 2005 against Southampton and his "worst performance for 40 years."

Oh well at least the players are consistent!!
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #265: Mar 09, 2010 01:47:41 pm
      I still think the worst matches of the season are probably the replay against Reading, draw away at wolves and last night! Doesnt it get worse?

some dude told me we win the europa league and finish 5th we will get in the champs league? Sounds bull to me but just checking
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8513 
      Reply #266: Mar 09, 2010 01:55:18 pm
      some dude told me we win the europa league and finish 5th we will get in the champs league? Sounds bull to me but just checking

It is bull!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #267: Mar 09, 2010 01:56:55 pm

Pre‧co‧cious [See pronunciation table in "How to use dictionary" pages]
      Definition: Sometimes used to show disapproval in British English:

British English     Henrik.

Segue :  "Down from the Land Of The Ice And Snow Where The Hot Springs Blow"
      LZ.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #268: Mar 09, 2010 01:57:52 pm
      Hammer of the gods!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #269: Mar 09, 2010 02:08:02 pm
      Midnight Sun should be in there somewhere.
      Deliberate Mistake or senility?

Senility.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #270: Mar 09, 2010 02:17:40 pm
      What does that say about the petulant, over-paid shower of cu*ts that represent us on the pitch.

F***ing hell, I don't give a f**k if they don't want to play for the man, but at least show some pride when pulling on that shirt.

Couldn't agree more. Rafa has 'lost the dressing room' my ar*e. Of course he has been making some awful decisions (Lucas?), but last night was down to the whinging, gutless bunch of pretenders on the pitch.

You know why scum win so many games when they're not playing well? Because the whole f*cking team (of gobsh*tes) attack and play out of their skin. If they are losing, guaranteed they have 7 or 8 players charging the box for anything THROUGHOUT the game.

I know, I know, I have just praised the c***s for having more passion then us, I'm really sorry all, but it's true.
      MrKite
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 475 posts | -2 
      Reply #271: Mar 09, 2010 02:18:15 pm
      What an utter embarassment. I am so embarassed.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8513 
      Reply #272: Mar 09, 2010 02:28:16 pm
      Couldn't agree more. Rafa has 'lost the dressing room' my ar*e. Of course he has been making some awful decisions (Lucas?), but last night was down to the whinging, gutless bunch of pretenders on the pitch.

You know why scum win so many games when they're not playing well? Because the whole f*cking team (of gobsh*tes) attack and play out of their skin. If they are losing, guaranteed they have 7 or 8 players charging the box for anything THROUGHOUT the game.

I know, I know, I have just praised the c***s for having more passion then us, I'm really sorry all, but it's true.

Thats the thing it's clear for all to see, when they play they are literally busting a gut to win the game, unlike us this season.

Last season we saw at times what we're capable of, even without Alonso, this season, though it's like they just don't give a F**k and is the most unacceptable thing, I can take defeats when players have tried their hardest to win games and we've been beaten through bad decisions. But it's not just last night, go back to Portsmouth, Sunderland, Reading - the players just did not look arsed or bothered to give a 100%.

The Arsenal home game summed it up for me, all over them first half, 1-0 up, come out second half, sit back and play like complete F***ing strangers.

I've said it since Fiorentina at home, there is something very wrong at Anfield, the whole club is currently rotten to the very core and I don't see it getting any better! 
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #273: Mar 09, 2010 02:50:03 pm

Know why they play like that? Because if they don't they get roasted by Whisky Nose. The same Whisky Nose who backs them up completely when they are attacked by the press and who never blames them when they do play badly. You can't say that about Benitez.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #274: Mar 09, 2010 03:03:48 pm
      I think that whilst you can applaud Rafa for a good season last year, he must take some responsability for this years shambles.

1) Players do not seem motivated
      2) The formation is old news, to negative, it relied on Gerrard and Torred fit and in form.
      3) The signing of, and use of Aquliani
      4) The inabilty to change, and change soon enough when we need a fresh idea.
      5) The ugly football we have played all season since probably the Hull game near the very beginning of the season.
      6) 7 League defeats, 3 of which have come against Sunderland, Wigan, Pourtsmouth, plus of course Reading in the cup, when it was priority, none of these are big spenders, or have brilliant players/managers.

It is time people face up to the fact that Rafa is not beyond SERIOUS questioning, on here people say he could change things as an afterthought, but surely now, he is becoming a major worry. If we do not finish top 4 this season, it could be some time before we finish top 4 again, let alone fighting for the title.

So F***ing frustrating!!!!!!!!!
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #275: Mar 09, 2010 03:27:39 pm
      Thats how its been all season.  I dont understand how a team can go from 5 points of winning the league in the 08/09 season, having one of the best years ever and only losing 2 matches,  to now being out of the CL, FA Cup,Carling and fighting to stay mid tier with a glimmer of hope to secure the 4th spot and we already have 9 losses.

I dont understand and would love to know what happened. 

What happened was we sold the player who was the engine room and controlled the matches. He was replaced by a player who we dont even know if he is capable of taking a game by the scruff of the neck because he is so rarely played.

On last nights performance, I cannot recall any of our players, except for reina, actually successfully dribbling the ball past a Wigan player. Every single time we took them on we lost possession, and on a slow pitch many many passes were intercepted before reaching the intended target.

(most notably kuyts pass to lucas leading to their goal)

My biggest beef was one I always go on about, setting out too defensively.  I would have played Babel up front with Torres because he looked really good recently, and although he didnt do much last night he only had 8 minutes. We are playing Wigan for heavens sake, surely we can be more ambitious.

I also do not understand why Aquilani is not given a few full games to establish himself, whilst Lucas has failed to flatter and yet played almost every match. Now I hear talk about Aquilani being loaned out, and its hardly surprising he must be getting fed up like Crouch & keane did when they couldnt get on the pitch.   Kuyt should have been subbed at half time, his touch and passing was very poor.
      Insua at one point was walked around by their winger, it looked totally embarrassing.

Cant help thinking there is more than a niggling injury making Gerrard lack form, I am sure we shall learn the truth in the coming weeks ahead.

Surely the time has now come for rafa to send them out there with a message to go all out attack every match.  And lets start with a more attacking line up please.

Quick Reply