Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Wigan 1-0 Liverpool: Post Match Nuclear Fall Out

Read 36345 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Wigan 1-0 Liverpool: Post Match Nuclear Fall Out
      Reply #299: Mar 09, 2010 07:35:27 pm
      Shambolic is the only way to describe last nights performance.

Only positive was Aquilani when he came on.
      the12thkopite
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #300: Mar 09, 2010 07:46:24 pm
      Why is everyone saying Kuyt was terrible? That pass that created the goal for Wigan was pure genius.

yeah i said the same thing earlier today. that was quite possibly the best pass we made all night. at least it actually found a man even if it was a wigan one who went on to pretty damn perfectly cross the ball in to lay on the winner

Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #301: Mar 09, 2010 07:52:34 pm
      yeah i said the same thing earlier today. that was quite possibly the best pass we made all night. at least it actually found a man even if it was a wigan one who went on to pretty damn perfectly cross the ball in to lay on the winner

We found the Wigan man quite alot to be fair.

I'm sure Insua made some crackers.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,635 posts | 130 
      Reply #302: Mar 09, 2010 08:16:15 pm
      I think to pick out some players and give them the fault for yesterdays performance is wrong! For my Rafa haven't any fault as well, for me every player on the pitch must asking himself for what is happen and why things goes in this way. IMO it looks like that for example Gerrard, the captain, haven't had any passion during the match. Looks like that he is thinking where he could play CL next year Oo .... Now I don't want to say a sentence to every player but I want to see players who plays with passion for the club, players who loves to wear the red shirt !
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #303: Mar 09, 2010 08:19:09 pm
      There's no pride in the jersey anymore. Could be a big clearout in the summer!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #304: Mar 09, 2010 08:20:54 pm
      I think to pick out some players and give them the fault for yesterdays performance is wrong! For my Rafa haven't any fault as well, for me every player on the pitch must asking himself for what is happen and why things goes in this way. IMO it looks like that for example Gerrard, the captain, haven't had any passion during the match. Looks like that he is thinking where he could play CL next year Oo .... Now I don't want to say a sentence to every player but I want to see players who plays with passion for the club, players who loves to wear the red shirt !

You could name on one hand the players that looked arsed last night!
      the12thkopite
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #305: Mar 09, 2010 08:22:32 pm
      My team for the next few games would be:
                                     Reina
      Johnson         Agger         Kyrigakos     Insua

Masch(c)    Aqualini

Maxi                       Pacheco             Benayoun
                                     Torres
      Bench:Gerrard, Cavaleri, Lucas, Babel, Carra,Kuyt, Ngog.

hmmmm nah i dont really like that too much to be honest. i actually have a lot of time for babel. most of the abuse he gets is from not looking up  but for all we know he actually just knows where he is going and how to get there so who gives one if he doesnt look up as long as he gets a job done. I dont like it at all but i would be interested to hear your reasons for dropping the captain. yes we are all gutted that yet another and perhaps an even more vital opportunity has been missed but that doesnt mean take drastic action like dropping stevie without good reason.

maxi is less than convincing and im sorry to say that aquilani would do well to try to be more like alonso, or be instructed to play as alonso did. protection from mascherano to allow him to use his skill to direct operations for eager as well as well picked and primed strikers would go a long way to correcting our mess. aquilani certainly seems to be a little on the light side. possibly couldnt handle much in the way of physical abuse or even dish it out so i think he does need protection to operate so think a 3 man midfield with mascherano then aquilani on the left and gerrard on the right but gerrard linking up with Torres. Put benny out on the right overlapping Stevie and to balance the skill on left and right. I think Aquilani and Benayoun maybe 2 of the most silky skilled players we have. Then you have Babel or even Riera on the left would work well.

TORRES

BABEL/RIERA                                              BENAYOUN

GERRARD
                                      TOMMY
               AQUILANI

this is how we should set up. defence i dont want to get into right now with regards picking players and their relative position coz that really upsets me. we have had a right tough time with injuries this season and despite this we have usually still had quite a lot of talent in defensive areas but this zonal marking crap is not working with any of these guys. i am convinced that we have enough defensive intelligence to actually man mark or at the very least set up zonally and react to opposition movement as per required with immediate effect and we will be fine. When we are on our game we play high up the field, keep possession and put opposition under pressure for long periods. we are open to counter attacking playing this way but with enough attacking prowess and defense being able to operate as play dictates i am sure we would be fine. aside from injury i would have a defense lined up as AGGER SKRTEL CARRA JOHNSON possibly in that order.

people say we do not have the depth of squad and experience that other squads have. is that definite? does that mean we have to follow a defensive paint by numbers manual to exclusion of common sense? come on!
      the12thkopite
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #306: Mar 09, 2010 08:27:43 pm
      We found the Wigan man quite alot to be fair.

I'm sure Insua made some crackers.

yeah your right but in nearly all cases we found the wigan man by accident as our passing almost transcended the notion of finding "a man". Kuyt did really well in making it look like his pinpoint defensive/attacking pass was intentional. i actually like kuyt a lot and think for all of his lack of finesse he carves out hard fought results in almost every game he plays in. last night there wasnt an LFC player on the field. We couldnt have been further from Shankly's boys if we had actually tried
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #307: Mar 10, 2010 12:48:40 am
      All I was wanting to do was turn the telly off I was that stunned by our totally inept performance. I agree Stevie seemed  to have lost  any desire at the end but throughout the game he was shouting encouragement to the rest and bollocking Kuytt for his dire passing. You can only take so much when all around you are playing crap. Then you put a bit extra in trying to rectify things and the game continues to go away from you. We were awefull in every area of the park. We seemed to get the ball at the back and travel, very slowly forward, wait for a wigan player to close us down, and then play a telegraphed pass which was so easily intercepted. When there was a bit of a mix in the center, we were brushed aside like boys among men. So predictable and slow, we were like an over 50s Sunday league side. Once in the whole match, we got a quick rythme of passing going and got Wigan on the back foot which resulted in us getting a shot off. Even though it was off target. Just once in the whole game. When we tried to attack, Wigan had 10 players back, When they attacked we were often caught 3 against 2. That sums up our work rate compared to theirs. If a stranger to the prem witnessed the game and wanted to buy a few players. From what was on show the top 8 would all have had a blue shirt on.  Worst performance I have witnessed in over 50Years. I've said that a couple of times in the last three seasons as well. We seem to be going backwards. Always a Red whatever happens, but I really dont see us playing C. League next Season. That could be the opportunity for a big clear out. Coaching staff first. Is Sammy Lee living in the past, has his brand of football had it's day? Do we not need a coach who is attack minded ? we deffinatley play too defensive to be effective at this level. Needs sorting out quickly or next season we could be looking bottom 4 not top 4. And never believe we are too big for that after yesterdays showing.
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #308: Mar 10, 2010 01:39:49 am
      Pre‧co‧cious [See pronunciation table in "How to use dictionary" pages]
      Definition: Sometimes used to show disapproval in British English:

British English     Henrik.

Segue :  "Down from the Land Of The Ice And Snow Where The Hot Springs Blow"
      LZ.

I'm fully aware what 'precocious' means smart ass - 'dont be precious' is a well known saying.
      By the way, that definition you supplied for 'precocious' is completely unrelated you numbskull (and I didnt need to look up a dictionary to know that)
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #309: Mar 10, 2010 04:13:30 am
      if this team finishes 7th there will be a clearout. torres doesnt say much now about the reds. he is the most brutalized striker in epl. rafa has lost control of the dressing room. he is just going through the motions same as the players. gerrad he is past his best.carra is a liability. reina is probanbly the only one who is solid. bring in players who are professional and play with passion,pacheo and kelly could easily be first team regulars. team has to be rebuilt piece by piece. then u have rafa team who could follow him
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #310: Mar 10, 2010 07:19:54 am
      Our Beloved Leader waited until the 83rd minute before bringing off Kuyt! (Incidentally it's shouldn't be  pronounced "Kout" as in "shout", but "Kite" as in "sh...") ....

No, it's 'Kout'. When we first signed Dirk, every commentator / pundit pronounced his name differently so eventually, an interviewer asked him to clear the matter up, live on TV.
      He said Dirk as though the 'i' wasn't there and rolled his 'r' slightly.
      Kuyt was pronounced Kout.

'Drrk Kout'

but anyway, back to the whining....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #311: Mar 10, 2010 10:34:00 am
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #312: Mar 10, 2010 10:40:18 am
      Thoroughly entertaining post by Glenbuck about the debacle at Wigan with some incisive and sometimes cryptic comment none more so than "Torres' Stevie Wonder finishing in front of goal can be overlooked" -  not by Stevie Wonder it can't.
      « Last Edit: Mar 10, 2010 01:27:42 pm by stuey »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #313: Mar 10, 2010 07:46:10 pm
      Almost finished watching the full game for a second time.  I'm not smarting as much from the defeat so can watch it a bit better.

Aquilani has clearly got talent.  I'm convinced of that now.  I remember the interview he gave with MOTD a month ago saying he was still playing in pain.  I'm completely sure now that he is playing in fits and starts because of that - because if he was 100% he would be a regular starter.  

Secondly, Gerrard was F***ing shocking.  Absolutely no excuse for his abysmal performance.  Masch, Lucas and Aquilani were all far better than him and I'd have no qualms if he was left on the bench tomorrow.  If he didn't have the name behind him he almost certainly would be.

Some of the players are actually getting in good positions when we have the ball but there is a real inability to find them.  Carragher especially is awful at distributing the ball - 9 times out of 10 if there is a man free he will instead play it to somebody with men around them or back to Pepe.

I'm convinced we still have a good solid side - our results this season have not been down to a lack of quality but a lack of application and some enormous painful dip in form, that pre-Wigan I thought we were emerging from.

It really wouldn't surprise me if we went to Old Trafford and won.  We have the players - it's all down to them to go on the pitch with the confidence they had last year.

Oh, and Insua is going to need replacing.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #314: Mar 10, 2010 08:14:18 pm
      The passing was what done my head in. I think there was very bad passing going on on Monday. Especially forward distribution.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #315: Mar 10, 2010 08:24:51 pm
      Aquilani has clearly got talent.  I'm convinced of that now.  I remember the interview he gave with MOTD a month ago saying he was still playing in pain.  I'm completely sure now that he is playing in fits and starts because of that - because if he was 100% he would be a regular starter. 

As I said, the one positive I could take from that debacle.

Good post mate.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #316: Mar 10, 2010 08:45:31 pm
      I think people do have to start realising some of the personnel at Liverpool are not good enough.

Ya we have a good spine but how many F***ing years have we been saying that now. The problem this season is to many ordinary players have played to many games.
      the12thkopite
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #317: Mar 10, 2010 09:17:14 pm
      I think people do have to start realising some of the personnel at Liverpool are not good enough.

Ya we have a good spine but how many F***ing years have we been saying that now. The problem this season is to many ordinary players have played to many games.

you can say that about every team there is. how good the real good ones are sometimes make some of the others seem a lot less good. granted some teams do actually have more in number consistent performers in their teams but they are also less injured and repeatedly picked in their teams too. if we had a starting 11 that just had people waiting for an injury to get a game im pretty sure we would be doing a lot better. but no its fashionable to have horses for courses. screw that i say. consistency comes with playing time and thats what our team dont get. that goes for gerrard and torres getting playing time with other players as well as themselves getting it. you just cant expect a changing team to become a tight unit.

ok yeah we have some reserve teamers in the first team too i suppose. actually im not sure that some of our first teamers should be guaranteed a regular spot in the reserve team.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,608 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #318: Mar 11, 2010 09:43:55 am
      Almost finished watching the full game for a second time.  I'm not smarting as much from the defeat so can watch it a bit better.

Aquilani has clearly got talent.  I'm convinced of that now.  I remember the interview he gave with MOTD a month ago saying he was still playing in pain.  I'm completely sure now that he is playing in fits and starts because of that - because if he was 100% he would be a regular starter. 

Secondly, Gerrard was f**king shocking.  Absolutely no excuse for his abysmal performance.  Masch, Lucas and Aquilani were all far better than him and I'd have no qualms if he was left on the bench tomorrow.  If he didn't have the name behind him he almost certainly would be.

Some of the players are actually getting in good positions when we have the ball but there is a real inability to find them.  Carragher especially is awful at distributing the ball - 9 times out of 10 if there is a man free he will instead play it to somebody with men around them or back to Pepe.

I'm convinced we still have a good solid side - our results this season have not been down to a lack of quality but a lack of application and some enormous painful dip in form, that pre-Wigan I thought we were emerging from.

It really wouldn't surprise me if we went to Old Trafford and won.  We have the players - it's all down to them to go on the pitch with the confidence they had last year.

Oh, and Insua is going to need replacing.

Im guilty of watching the game a couple of times myself and as frustrating as it was to lose ih the second half we played some good football.
      Aquilani looked the sharpest I've seen him. Gerrard looked more comfortable behind Torres. (Easy RLB)
      Great to see Johnson back but I would agree Insua needs replacing and with Aurelio out injured most of the time we are shockingly weak at LB.
      I'm nearlly afraid to say this but I can see us getting a positive result against Lille. We might just get it right for the United game
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #319: Mar 11, 2010 09:47:42 am
      This thread should be locked. No point in dwelling on a loss. We need to move on and forget about this game.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #320: Mar 11, 2010 09:54:34 am
      Am i missing something with Aquilani?

Re watch the game for a third time and count just how many times he touches the ball. I'd be interested to no just how many times he has actually kicked a ball in a red shirt in 10 or so appearences.

Im not going to praise him just for the sake of it and the fact he is new and cost 20m. I also don't care if hes been at the club 2 minutes, 2 seasons, or 12 seasons, if hes not producing the goods then i'll happily criticise him too. He has shown no talent, not even a glimpse, since his arrival. Some people actually want him playing off torres too, F***ing hell!

Actually, his debut against arsenal, he made a cracking 20 yard pass out wide, whoopie doo.

Im happy to be proved wrong and hope he comes good, i also hope he proves his fitness and can play atleast 30 games a season. His stats suggest otherwise though and from what i've seen so far, as early as it is, i don't think he will ever cut it at Anfield or even the premiership for that matter. The pace is too quick for him and hes too lightweight, its a physical league and i don't think he will last 5 minutes, especially seen as he gets injured every 5minutes.
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #321: Mar 11, 2010 10:30:13 am
      Am I missing something with Aquilani?

Re watch the game for a third time and count just how many times he touches the ball. I'd be interested to no just how many times he has actually kicked a ball in a red shirt in 10 or so appearences.

Im not going to praise him just for the sake of it and the fact he is new and cost 20m. I also don't care if hes been at the club 2 minutes, 2 seasons, or 12 seasons, if hes not producing the goods then I'll happily criticise him too. He has shown no talent, not even a glimpse, since his arrival. Some people actually want him playing off torres too, f**king hell!

Actually, his debut against arsenal, he made a cracking 20 yard pass out wide, whoopie doo.

Im happy to be proved wrong and hope he comes good, I also hope he proves his fitness and can play atleast 30 games a season. His stats suggest otherwise though and from what I've seen so far, as early as it is, I don't think he will ever cut it at Anfield or even the premiership for that matter. The pace is too quick for him and hes too lightweight, its a physical league and I don't think he will last 5 minutes, especially seen as he gets injured every 5minutes.

It is apparent the lad has ability even though we've only seen mostly cameo appearances from him. You only have to look at his 'off the ball movement' to see the lad as game intelligence. Honestly, watch his movement and the space he makes for himself without the ball, he's almost always open and looking for a pass. Technically in possession he looks sound and with players like Kuyt who can trap a ball further than I can kick and Carra who opts for hoof ball. It is a nessecity that we have someone who is not only comfortable in possesion (like Alonso was) but someone who has the vision and composure to pick a pass. As of yet we haven't seen any stand-out game breaking passes from him yet, but my hunch is, the lad has it in his locker. Secondly the fella does need to start playing regularly to find some form, christ we've endured a season of Lucas in midfield, surely we can give this lad some grace in the hope he replaces the Brazillian.

My only concern is his prone to injury record, 33 competative games in the last three years add on the little he's played this season and that will be something like 42 games in four years. Pretty shocking and only player like Kewell and Owen can boast of injury records to boot. In that sense, Aquilani was a big gamble and thus far because of his set-backs the gambled hasn't paid off for him. We're suffering the consequences of that and to many 'hardworking' players such as Lucas and Kuyt will only get you so far.

Quick Reply