Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Reserve/Youth Team - Any Of Them Good Enough Yet?

Read 1516 times
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reserve/Youth Team - Any Of Them Good Enough Yet?
      Jun 02, 2007 12:41:02 pm
      This has been touched on a bit in another topic, but does anyone think any of our youth or reserve team is good enough to make the step up next season?

Personally I think it's time Paul Anderson was given a shot at the first team, I was quite disappointed he didn't appear in one of the final Premiership matches this season. He's been the star man in the reserves for two seasons now, surely it's time to see if he can mix it with the first team.

Besian Idrizaj is another promising talent, but with a star striker likely to be on their way it's difficult to see where he could fit in. My mate's son plays for Luton youth, and has been training with the first team for the second half of this season preparing him to make the step up, he says Idrizaj is by far the best player in training, running rings round the seasoned pros, and not outmuscled either.

For me these are the only two who stand a chance of breaking through next season. Hobbs, Antwi & Roque have all impressed on their day but for me lack a bit of consistency at the moment. I would definately like to see us take Arsenal's approach to the Carling Cup though, and field a team of kids to see how they get on.

Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Re: Reserve/Youth Team - Any Of Them Good Enough Yet?
      Reply #1: Jun 02, 2007 12:44:05 pm
      yeh. course they are. the youth team have won the fa cup youth final bout 3 years in a row now, recently against man utd. they just need more experience and im sure we're bound to see a few of them in the first team. 
      Sisowler
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts |
      • . 1977 1978 1981 1984 2005
      Reply #2: Jun 02, 2007 12:44:52 pm
      Paul Anderson, Craig Linfield and Insua are all good players. Dont forget Nabil El Zhar.
      EddieC
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #3: Jun 02, 2007 12:48:27 pm
      Paul Anderson, Craig Linfield and Insua are all good players. Dont forget Nabil El Zhar.

Was impressed with Insua when he played the last couple of Prem games actually, maybe if Aurelio carries on being so injury prone he might get a chance too next season.

El Zhar, same as Idrizaj, is talented, but hard to see where he'd fit in.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #4: Jun 02, 2007 01:55:20 pm
      I'm garbage with names, kind of defeats my contribution to this thread but that captain of our youth side. Big baldy get. He looked fairly promising but I have a feeling he has been released.

Linfield I would imagine could certainly push for a place.

The problem is that we have such strength and depth in our first team already AND Rafa always says we do not have enough players.  I think it would take somebody truly exceptional to be given a freak chance through a catalogue of injuries in our first team to break through.

Who has Rafa brough through the ranks compared to Houllier?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #5: Jun 02, 2007 03:25:56 pm
      I'm garbage with names, kind of defeats my contribution to this thread but that captain of our youth side. Big baldy get. He looked fairly promising but I have a feeling he has been released.

Jay Spearing? He looks like he's gonna be a beast of a player. Attitude is spot on and works really hard for the full 90. As you've said though, it is really hard to see where they could fit in, unless a catalogue of injuries came along. Out of all of them, I myself would expect Anderson to have some input in the near future as with Lindfield as well. Who knows though.
      mingles
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • GOD, THE NATION AND LIVERPOOL
      Reply #6: Jun 04, 2007 02:04:40 pm
      i think the likes of Hammil,Idrizaj,Insua ,Anderson and Craig should be given the step up next season.They need  little prem. experience
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #7: Jun 05, 2007 01:33:04 pm
      I liked the look of Insua who seems to have less about him going forward but seems able to defend hope to see more of him
      Cork City FC
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      • Cork City FC - The Rebel Army
      Reply #8: Jun 05, 2007 03:28:27 pm
      Do your Youth team have any tournements/pre-season matches planned? Does the Youths season run parallel to the seniors in England?
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #9: Jun 05, 2007 04:36:05 pm
      Adam Hammill may get a look in as he has done well whilst out on loan, other than him I cant think of anyone who is ready yet and maybe this is one of the reasons Rafa has taken over at the academy and that more young new talent is still arriving at the club even after we have signed quite a few in the last year or so.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #10: Jun 05, 2007 04:55:21 pm
      Adam Hammill, he looks good, midfield player, been on loan to Dumfermline all last season, but by all accounts did very well up there.

FRANCISCO MANUEL DURAN, only saw this player play 1 game, but he did look good.

CRAIG LINDFIELD not sure on this one, seen him play a few time, he has good games and some very bad ones, but does know were the net is.

NABIL EL ZHAR been with us for about 2 years now, not sure if he will make it.

BESIAN IDRIZAJ big lad, plays in midfield, were not short in that dept. but still only about 19, so time is on his side.
      Jay Spearing, does look good, plays right back, has not made it yet to train with the 1st team, but I'm sure he will soon.

don't know to much about the young new players that have come in over the last few months, but from what i have seen, yes some of them are very good players, i have not seen anyone yet that you go wow he,s good, but with saying that most of them are only about 19, so maybe.

Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #11: Jun 06, 2007 03:21:48 pm
      The cutthroat world of academy football has certainly put reserve team football into perspective; three players only from the FA youth Cup winning team are to be promoted to melwood. Goalie Martin Hansen, winger Ray Putterill and centre half Jay Spearing have all been given the nod whilst Josh Mimms, Michael Burns, Charlie Barnett and Jimmy Ryan are staying at the academy. Unfortunately David Roberts, Paul Barratt, Ryan Wignall, Lee Westwood, Stephen Behan and Jon Pringle have all been released.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6948 
      Reply #12: Jun 07, 2007 12:28:01 am
      Out of interest - how many players train at Melwood? Anybody know?

Does being at Melwood confirm you as a member of the first team with a squad number?  Does that make you a senior squad player?
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #13: Jun 07, 2007 08:55:49 pm
      There are about 45 to 48 who train at melwood, they are the 1st team squad, not all of the have numbers about 30 i think, and not all of them are there, some are out on loan (carson) and many more.
      Hope that puts you in the picture more.
      Have a good day.

Quick Reply