Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Carra holds off contract talks

Read 6587 times
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Re: Carra holds off contract talks
      Reply #46: Mar 08, 2010 01:20:46 pm
      Well if he plays well and his legs can handle it then i am sure Rafa would be the happiest person on the planet and he would start every game like he has this season.

But the reality is that with age it is going to get harder for him to start every game and be the first choice CB in the future (not just next season but season after that too). Jamie has never hidden from the fact that he would never be a bench/squad player and would rather move to a smaller club (read his book, it has been stated numerous times).

I am sure Rafa will buy one CB in the summer, this season has highlighted our weakness at the back, we need a CB who is good in the air and has pace (Kajer) which puts Jamies position in the team under threat so to say.

Having said all that, i think he sign an extension but i can't see him finishing his career with us which is kinna sad.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #47: Mar 08, 2010 06:34:07 pm
      Is it me, or is Carragher, right now, a better RB than a CB?
      I don't think so. He is rock solid in the CB position.

If today we see him in the squad and play for the shirt as usually, I'm seeing him here for more than till Summer. If Rafa decide to put him on the bench, my mind will be thinking.

Deep down I think he will stay.

He has another year on his contract therefore if we decide to sell him, we will earn some money 'cos he won't stay on the bench for a year to leave the club the next year with the Bosman rule.
      yoyo-yoyo
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 151 posts | -1 
      Reply #48: Mar 08, 2010 10:28:05 pm
      Great lad but has struggled to be commanding this season which is another reason the whole team has gone backwards.  maybe this says something about his relationship with the boss?  If he goes then all the best to him but it wouldnt be the end of the world.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #49: Mar 08, 2010 10:28:55 pm
      I wouldn't offer him a new contract either.

Played sh*t for about 18 months now.  Terrific servant to the club, fantastic career with us, but it's last orders.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #50: Mar 08, 2010 10:46:42 pm
      I wouldn't offer him a new contract either.

Played sh*t for about 18 months now.  Terrific servant to the club, fantastic career with us, but it's last orders.

Yep.

Nice to see the Blue side of him resurface.  Not.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #51: Mar 09, 2010 06:34:37 am
      The versatile 32-year-old, however, is refusing to decide his future until he knows whether or not he will remain an automatic choice for Rafael Benitez's starting line-up next season.
      Versatile? He plays CB or RB, is sh*t at RB and not mobile enough to play anywhere else.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #52: Mar 09, 2010 01:18:57 pm
      Hes not exactly playing like he wants a contract at present
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #53: Mar 09, 2010 03:52:49 pm
      Me me me! its all about me and not the club at the moment,wether its world cup place is under threat,wanting a new contract or another club is in for me,but what about us?the fans that really matter the club we support?how anyone is expecting a contract who so far has been sh*t this season is beyond me,pull your socks up carra!stop taking the piss like the rest of you so called loyal footballers,if you were in a "PERFORMANCE RELATED PAY" you would struggle,your performace has been poor and dont deserve another contract untill you buckle up.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #54: Mar 09, 2010 03:54:56 pm
      He doesn't deserve a contract at the moment.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #55: Mar 09, 2010 06:23:45 pm
      Me me me! its all about me and not the club at the moment

Sums up most modern day footballers!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #56: Mar 09, 2010 06:26:03 pm
      I didn't think I'd say it but I think the best option would be not to offer him an extension. He's not the rock and best defender in Europe that he once was.

Always a legend but I think his days are numbered now.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #57: Mar 09, 2010 07:13:19 pm
      Jamie Carragher is being unrealistic. Surely with his experience, he should realise that at his age, he cannot be guaranteed a starting place.
      The pace of the game is too much for him now which is proven by his form. His peak was the year of the Champs League win.

Not sure where he thinks he will fit in at other clubs. It wont be a big club that comes in for him. Which means he will be exposed more playing amongst lesser players and could go horribly wrong for him.

He may just be hanging on to see what happens in the summer but he knows he will never be guaranteed a 1st 11 place wherever he goes, so maybe it is just about the big payday.

The part where he said about not playing for England, I think is trying to make a point, but Rafa wont think twice about calling his bluff and offloading him.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #58: Mar 09, 2010 08:18:38 pm
      Maybe fat f**k from blackburn could offer him a contract.Heknows how to bring the best out of unwanted players! Maybe thats carra bargaining chip,play me in the starting 11 or im off to blackburn.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #59: Mar 10, 2010 07:11:09 pm
      He will certainly go down as a Liverpool Legend. However, I think he should sign a 1 year deal and announce his retirement.  Make next season a farewell tour. He retires in a Liverpool jersey and remains a legend of Anfield. He'll have a ceremony in his last match at Anfield and go away from the game with respect and a fitting tribute to a legendary player.

Of course I think he'll leave. Go somewhere for a big payday, maybe, and get 10-15min. of playtime a match and retire in another jersey and basically be forgotten. whatever club he goes too wont do anything for his retirement. He will be just another in a long line of players not retiring when its time and thinking that they can still play at 100%.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #60: Mar 10, 2010 11:31:34 pm
      The versatile 32-year-old, however, is refusing to decide his future until he knows whether or not he will remain an automatic choice for Rafael Benitez's starting line-up next season.
      If I was Rafa and Jamie said he was only signing if he was a guaranteed starter then I would suggest he found another club.

He either wants to play for this club or he doesn't and if his form is good enough to warrant a place in the starting 11 then well and good but if it isn't then he should not expect to play just because of who he is.

I would offer him a new contract but on the clubs terms as although his form has been pretty poor for most of the season he is still a very important player to have in the squad but if he doesn't want to sign it then he knows what to do.
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #61: Mar 10, 2010 11:40:43 pm
      It's a difficult one for Rafa in a way. Although i still fully support him, I am certainly aware that the numbers having doubts are growing. Also any move on forcing out Jamie, would be met with strong disagreement by a lot of supporters, who maybe see Jamie as a local link to the club.

I have to say though, I am an old fashioned supporter in so much as, in any stand off between a player and manager, there can only be one winner; ie the manager. Otherwise it would be like the inmates taking over the asylem!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #62: Mar 11, 2010 02:51:35 am
      Also any move on forcing out Jamie, would be met with strong disagreement by a lot of supporters, who maybe see Jamie as a local link to the club.

Don't be too sure, I know quite a few lads who are pissed off with Jamie going constantly moaning to his mate Chris at the NOTW!
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #63: Mar 11, 2010 07:17:25 am
      Yeah, I've got a few friends myself who are somewhat fed up with it.

It's a strange thing Jamie is considered by some fans to be the most one who has the biggest understanding of the club. Yet he continues to speak to that journalist and that paper.

Just out of interest does Bascombe, have any contact with LFC, or is it just certain players who are feeding hime titbits?
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #64: Mar 11, 2010 09:00:41 am
      Theres no hurry to give him anew contract is there? He still has another season and im sure if he plays well next season and is in the team then everyone will be happy with him getting an extension.

However in the week he comes out in the papers talking about a new contract you would think he would back it up witha a performance but if the Wigan match is anything to go by then he might have to consider his future elsewhere, which is a shame because when Carra is at his best he is the best.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #65: Mar 11, 2010 09:50:53 am
      We all know Skrtel and Agger will be the main pairing when the squad is fit and with Kyrgiakos Carragher and Kelly we have experience and youth as back up. Maybe Carra doesn't like that but thats where we are at right now and that ultimately is what's best for the club... so no Jamie we can't guarantee you regular football... but that doesn't mean you can't see out your career here. Suck it in and get on with it
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6692 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #66: Mar 11, 2010 09:14:51 pm
      We all know Skrtel and Agger will be the main pairing when the squad is fit and with Kyrgiakos Carragher and Kelly we have experience and youth as back up. Maybe Carra doesn't like that but thats where we are at right now and that ultimately is what's best for the club... so no Jamie we can't guarantee you regular football... but that doesn't mean you can't see out your career here. Suck it in and get on with it

Agreed, we know you love the club but surely you must realize you can't be guaranteed a first team spot when the future needs to be sorted and we have two ready made replacements for your position available on most occasions.

Think of the future of this Club first and foremost.

Quick Reply