Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)

Read 379663 times
      Dancho
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts |
      Re: Raheem Sterling Player Thread
      Reply #1380: Jan 03, 2014 12:02:56 pm
      I personally would be baffled if Raheem is loaned after his good run of games recently. I really like his game and I think he can link with Suarez, Coutihno and Gerrard pretty well.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #1381: Jan 03, 2014 12:24:59 pm
      I personally would be baffled if Raheem is loaned after his good run of games recently. I really like his game and I think he can link with Suarez, Coutihno and Gerrard pretty well.
      Yeah his link up play with Suarez and Coutinho (particularly in the city game) has been great to watch. Who would have known a young english lad could keep up with 2 world class South Americans haha.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #1382: Jan 03, 2014 04:44:11 pm
      There is no harm in trying and trying is probably as far as they will get Swansea.  We can't be letting him go.  Brendan has been highlighting the size of the squad and then he is going to send one of our best performers in the last month on loan.  Doesn't make sense be happy if we give you Aspas or Ibe if he plays well against Oldham. 
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,627 posts | 2161 
      Reply #1383: Jan 07, 2014 06:21:37 pm
      Outside of Suarez I wonder if there is anyone in the side playing better than young Raheem at the moment? He has quietly played himself into the form and confidence we saw in patches early last season and is currently enjoying the spell of his young career so far. I love the fact he is always on the front foot and looking to run at players at the moment and his link up play with Suarezand Johnson and the general intelligence in his play has come on a ways. Perhaps the biggest surprise is the improvements we have seen in the defensive side of the game. He works as hard as anyone in the team when it comes to pressing and tracking runners and as has already been pointed out he busts a gut to get back and cover for Johnson is we lose the ball high up the pitch. He has clearly been working hard in the gym and you can see he is stronger, able to hold the ball up better and is even making a few tackles, there was a good example of him muscling off one of the Oldham layers when he was asked to play right back for the last 10 minutes at the weekend.

I actually felt his England call up last season was ridiculous and irresponsible and it may well have contributed to his loss of form but right now I think he could be the biggest beneficiary of Walcott's injury in that England squad.

Don't say it too loudly but perhaps we're watching the best player to come out of the Academy since Stevie Gerrard all those years ago!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1384: Jan 07, 2014 07:25:51 pm
      Outside of Suarez I wonder if there is anyone in the side playing better than young Raheem at the moment? He has quietly played himself into the form and confidence we saw in patches early last season and is currently enjoying the spell of his young career so far. I love the fact he is always on the front foot and looking to run at players at the moment and his link up play with Suarezand Johnson and the general intelligence in his play has come on a ways. Perhaps the biggest surprise is the improvements we have seen in the defensive side of the game. He works as hard as anyone in the team when it comes to pressing and tracking runners and as has already been pointed out he busts a gut to get back and cover for Johnson is we lose the ball high up the pitch. He has clearly been working hard in the gym and you can see he is stronger, able to hold the ball up better and is even making a few tackles, there was a good example of him muscling off one of the Oldham layers when he was asked to play right back for the last 10 minutes at the weekend.

I actually felt his England call up last season was ridiculous and irresponsible and it may well have contributed to his loss of form but right now I think he could be the biggest beneficiary of Walcott's injury in that England squad.

Don't say it too loudly but perhaps we're watching the best player to come out of the Academy since Stevie Gerrard all those years ago!
      I totally agree, but 99% :D He needs to improve his finishing.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1385: Jan 07, 2014 07:43:25 pm
      Suarez' unplayable form is largely playing it's part IMO. Suarez is literally getting all the headlines and attention meaning that Sterling has been able to go about his game almost unnoticed as such. Whilst we were without Suarez we and everyone else were looking at more players other than Sturridge chipping in and Sterling was at the centre of high expectations because of the way he was heavily involved last season. Unfortunately his form dipped and his confidence appeared to take a knock but Suarez has basically been making Sterling's game easy, they have developed a good understanding and Sterling isn't a half wit, he knows exactly what runs to be making and where to be making them and he is thriving on having a player like Suarez playing him through and also knowing Sterling's game is enabling Suarez to get in the positions where Sterling is going to play it. Sterling was able to take advantage of space being opened up by defenders all swarming towards Suarez and after a few times of Sterling exploiting that space his confidence has boosted massively and he is skinning players for fun and getting in on the goals too.

Fully deserving of his place in the team but I am interested to see how he reacts to having a game where he isn't performing as well, whether he let's it effect him and hit his confidence or whether he is able to bounce straight back. Either way I hope it doesn't happen anytime soon because he has been brilliant and is getting better and better and is becoming a real genuine threat on a consistent basis.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #1386: Jan 08, 2014 12:20:41 pm
      Great to see Sterling playing so well. He's an incredible asset at a very basic level in football: he's phenomenally quick.

But he has also improved his decision-making and awareness, makes better runs and work-rate. And has also bulked up a lot.

Will certainly make the WC if he keeps up this form and fitness, and should only get better and better.

Also interesting to note that for such a young lad, he has quite a lot of experience and is a year younger than Everton's great talent Ross Barkley - who will also go.

Exciting to watch Sterling at the moment.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #1387: Jan 13, 2014 04:43:33 am
      Has a great game again last night.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1388: Jan 13, 2014 10:31:52 am
      Was my MotM as a reward for how well he's played in recent games without full recognition. Really come back with a bang Raheem, his decision making is improving rapidly, his work rate is top notch and his application is drawing more and more players from the opposition towards him.

When we have numerous threats (him/Suarez/Sturridge) on the pitch at the same time the opportunity to double up and sometimes triple up on him as we've seen recently just wont be there. Defenders are absolutely terrified of his pace, he's added the ability to cut inside more rather than just hit and run and he's starting to see the benefits of making defenders guess rather than anticipate his next move.

Very impressed with his development after thinking he could have stagnated a little he's kicked on again, brilliant to see, well in Raheem.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #1389: Jan 13, 2014 05:08:44 pm
      Fantastic again. It's so easy to find him with a pass these days, he's always in acres of space to receive the ball thanks to his agility and speed. And his first touch has improved rapidly, the one before our first goal was just exceptional. Well in Raheem
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #1390: Jan 19, 2014 09:51:18 am
      I have been a critic of Sterling at times but yesterday watching him finding loads of space for himself and not getting the service was frustrating,you could see his desire for the ball and his determination get something from which was in all not a good game,he wanted the win and he gave it a go.Well in Raheem.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1391: Jan 28, 2014 11:06:38 pm
      Another great performance boy this lad is going to be something in a couple of years time. The way he helped out Flanno to snuff out Baines brilliant.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1392: Jan 28, 2014 11:15:24 pm
      Another great performance boy this lad is going to be something in a couple of years time. The way he helped out Flanno to snuff out Baines brilliant.

Forgot Baines was playing (what a way to celebrate his new contract!).

Unbelievable display of teamwork, determination and skill from Flanagan and Sterling tonight.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #1393: Jan 28, 2014 11:16:09 pm
      Great game tonight from Raheem and I'm glad to see him playing so well and maybe becoming the player we all hoped he would.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1394: Jan 28, 2014 11:17:17 pm
      Another cracking game for him! Just gets better and better
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1395: Jan 28, 2014 11:59:40 pm
      Excellent game from the young lad.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #1396: Jan 29, 2014 12:47:02 am
      Proud of our academy and Raheem himself. A massive development of his game. He's now a level up from last season, and he's on progress to another level.

Admitted I'm underestimated his intelligent, now he's proved I'm wrong.
      Keep work hard Raheem :)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1397: Jan 29, 2014 10:19:18 am
      Can tell he is learning all the time and now puts a real shift in up and down the wing and now for a little lad, doesn't half put himself about. Would love him to be more clinical in front of goal and in his final delivery, but he's not the first and won't be the last winger to fall short in that area.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #1398: Jan 29, 2014 10:23:17 am
      Can tell he is learning all the time and now puts a real shift in up and down the wing and now for a little lad, doesn't half put himself about. Would love him to be more clinical in front of goal and in his final delivery, but he's not the first and won't be the last winger to fall short in that area.

The form he's had over the last month or so has been nothing short of brilliant. He's really stepped up now. Let's not forget it was his pressing and winning of the ball that set Coutinho free for Sturridge's first goal.

As you say though mate, it's just that end product in front of goal and when in a position to cross or pass. Once he has improved on that front, he's going to be immense for us I think.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1399: Jan 29, 2014 10:25:09 am
      His work rate and defensive play has come on leaps and bounds. Still going to have dips, as seems to be the norm for players of both his age and that position.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #1400: Jan 29, 2014 10:37:59 am
      Was brilliant, loved his work just needs to work on his final ball but wow he's been good lately
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1401: Jan 29, 2014 12:44:11 pm
      I'm always a bit wary of English wingers, as I think historically too much emphasis is put on pace and crossing ability, and too little on their game intelligence. That's why I worried about Sterling's development as a player. However, all my doubts were clearly unfounded - if he did have decision making issues early on, for me it is now clear that they were due to his very young age, not a lack of a proper football brain. He's still incredibly young but his reading of the game and understanding of his role for the team has never been so good. I would dare to say that, in current form, he could start for any team in the league. He's our black Iniesta! :D I'm very impressed with this lad and long may it continue. It's hard to measure the exact impact of the manager in his development but I applaud him for getting the best of a this young player with lots of raw talent.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #1402: Jan 29, 2014 01:09:04 pm
      Has really knocked his performance level up a notch or two this year.

Started the year quite poorly it must be said but has worked hard and improved. He's still got a bit of improving to do as well which is a scary thought at just how good he can be.

Quick Reply