Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)

Read 379635 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Raheem Sterling Player Thread
      Reply #1495: Mar 17, 2014 11:09:54 pm
      I couldn't help but laugh a bit when I heard someone on here compare young Raheem with Iniesta (being a massive Iniesta fan, I thought it was quite a bold claim). But seeing this lad play in the AM role I started to have an understanding of the comparison. Although he wasn't the most influential player, he had some moments of absolute class. One particular moment was when he picked up the ball from deep with his back to goal and being pressed by Fellaini or some sh*t. Instead of panicking or just passing back he just remained composed, done a few body feints and made a forward pass to start an attack. Fairly simple and went unnoticed by most but only few players would have done that, Iniesta being one of them.

I agree with all that, this part especially "Fellaini or some sh*t" :D
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #1496: Mar 17, 2014 11:14:57 pm
      Thought he had another very good game, just before he went off he was still fighting for every ball and tackled Fellaini and another Manc about 3  or 4 times in the matter of seconds and then just tore away from them with the ball.

It's amazing how he just glides past players. For someone so young he has an incredible amount of composure.

Deserves all the plaudits he's getting at the mo. Top player!!
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #1497: Mar 18, 2014 05:48:21 am
      obviously he's a winger but I like how BR is challenging our young players. he taught coutinho to play central midfield and the lad will be better for it - teaching sterling to adapt to more positions will only make him a better smarter player. i am excited to see suso come back and play a few roles, show his versatility, prove he can mix it with the players who are making it in this system.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1498: Mar 19, 2014 11:29:14 pm
      I couldn't help but laugh a bit when I heard someone on here compare young Raheem with Iniesta (being a massive Iniesta fan, I thought it was quite a bold claim). But seeing this lad play in the AM role I started to have an understanding of the comparison. Although he wasn't the most influential player, he had some moments of absolute class. One particular moment was when he picked up the ball from deep with his back to goal and being pressed by Fellaini or some sh*t. Instead of panicking or just passing back he just remained composed, done a few body feints and made a forward pass to start an attack. Fairly simple and went unnoticed by most but only few players would have done that, Iniesta being one of them.

Yeah, he is far more now than the flying winger with questionable end product that he was when he first broke into the side. He has the class, intelligence and work rate to be a complete footballer from wide or in the centre.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1499: Mar 20, 2014 01:31:44 am

I'm happy more people are now seeing it :P I'm a huge Iniesta fan as well, but I do see similarities between them. Not at first, no; at first I imagined Sterling more Aaron Lennon than Andres Iniesta; but as you say, he's proven to be far more intelligent than I ever gave him credit for before. His close ball control, body strength despite being relatively small, and quick decision making all remind me of Iniesta somehow. The Black Iniesta! ;D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1500: Mar 30, 2014 05:59:47 pm
      Outstanding display, the maturity and strength from a lad of his age and size is stunning. Right up there with his very best displays in a red shirt today, easily my MotM in a game with many fantastic performances.

Well in Raheem lad.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #1501: Mar 30, 2014 06:00:55 pm
      Awesome today and my MOTM.

Difficult to stand out today as we were that good but he did.

Special player in the making.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1502: Mar 30, 2014 06:02:21 pm
      Iniesta is the white Sterling.

This kid is out of this world. Such work rate to go with his talent, too!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1503: Mar 30, 2014 06:16:02 pm
      Outstanding, just outstanding. Raheem was F***ing brilliant today. Energy, pace, movement, workrate, decision-making and STRENGTH were all top notch today. My God, is he strong! Excellent, excellent performance.

;D
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #1504: Mar 30, 2014 07:25:47 pm
      Great performance, again. Not starting in the last 2 games has made him hungry again & boy did he deliver.

Hard to believe his only 19. His running & strength are fantastic.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #1505: Mar 30, 2014 07:28:34 pm
      Great performance, again. Not starting in the last 2 games has made him hungry again & boy did he deliver.

Hard to believe his only 19. His running & strength are fantastic.

He was great. And should have started the last two games. He'll start the next six that's a certainty
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #1506: Mar 30, 2014 07:40:49 pm
      voted him MOM he just gets better. But Brendan will use him wisely in the run in
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,243 posts | 851 
      Reply #1507: Mar 30, 2014 07:47:48 pm
      2nd MOTM today, run close to Suarez.

fantastic performance
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #1508: Mar 30, 2014 08:02:12 pm
      He was great. And should have started the last two games. He'll start the next six that's a certainty

Don't think he'll start vs West Ham. They'll defend deep. Coutinho would be better suited to a deep defending team with Allen coming in for Sterling.

That's what I would do, and then use Sterling's quick acceleration later on. I'm not the boss tho, just what I would do.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1509: Mar 30, 2014 09:30:45 pm
      Will be a travesty if he does not win the young player award.

Edit. Just remembered Coutinho also qualifies!!

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #1510: Mar 30, 2014 10:25:35 pm
      This kid keeps his head on straight he's going to be a HUGE LFC star. What a performance today, he showed toughness, skill and intelligence throughout the game. I've had to eat huge crow about him as earlier this year I fancied Ibe over him but Sterling has proven me (not that hard) to be completely wrong about him. What a player we have there.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,886 posts | 6818 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1511: Mar 30, 2014 11:08:28 pm
      My MOTM ahead of Skrtel and Suarez.  This lad has got it all. What I really love about him his ability to hold up the ball and get out of challenges. For such a young skinny lad, once he gets the ball, he doesn't often get it taken off him.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1512: Mar 30, 2014 11:13:46 pm
      Our very own Messi.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1513: Mar 31, 2014 06:37:42 am
      Close call but he got my MoTM.

A truly excellent display by Raheem that, under Rodgers guidance this lad could be something very very special. He's a special player now but as he develops the potential to hit greater heights is there.

He caused Spurs no end of problems with his pace, skill and vision. He'd pop up on the left, the right, drop in the middle and from there he'd tried to pick out some great passes, the vision is there. His work rate and effort is matched by his ten team-mates at a very highly level, he presses well, he tracks back and helps his fullbacks out which capped off a great all round performance.

Great little player and for someone so young to provide a display up their alongside the likes of Gerrard and Suarez - he has to edge my MotM.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1514: Mar 31, 2014 09:46:47 am
      When you compare the press hype with Januzai or whatever his name is and Raheem it's laughable really. All this "will he choose Albania or England?" bollocks, there's no comparison between them as footballers.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1515: Mar 31, 2014 11:54:49 am
      A quick player who looks great with the ball at his feet, but what has impressed me more is he knows he doesn't always have to do the work, he can let the ball work for him, some of his long passes, showing his awareness of others, were great and they'll get better.  Add to that his body strength when defending, which is abnormally strong from someone so small and his arse out defensive style (which reminds me of some one), the fact that he tracks back so willingly and he's just come on leaps and bounds.  Their were times early this season where he looked like he'd either burnt out or needed a loan spell at a lower level, with regular games, to get his game back.  Credit to Raheem and the boss for pulling through that spell though.   
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1516: Mar 31, 2014 01:41:25 pm
      Huge game from the boy yesterday. Playing beyond his years at the minute!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1517: Mar 31, 2014 01:59:18 pm
      I absolutely love him.

He has it all. I love when he's standing still and does a full 360 and all of a sudden has gone around the defender and in space with one touch. Superb.

Quick Reply