Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)

Read 375810 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: Raheem Sterling Player Thread
      Reply #1771: Sep 21, 2014 08:53:35 am
      You know, with all the fuss over the possibility of Raheem burning out by playing too much, I got the feeling watching the game yesterday that it's not only about how *much* he plays, but also .... *how* he plays.

Last season, when our attack was so free-flowing and natural, it seemed almost like the players were just gliding through defences like butter, with almost no effort at all.  I think that Raheem could easily play almost every game like that, without any great damage to himself, if any at all.

But watching the West Ham game, it was completely different, he would get the ball in almost a dead standing position, and then he would have to go from 0 to 60 all on his own, with defenders all over him, with the other attackers standing around etc.  Surely that takes much more effort than playing the way we did last season.

Last season, we were passing and moving, and Suarez or Sturridge or Coutinho would hit Raheem in his stride, so he would already have his momentum going, and then he would lay it off to someone, etc etc, and so on and so forth.  This season---apart from away at Spurs---there is much more work required for Raheem to get his space, less effort taken off of his shoulders by the other attackers, most of whom aren't at his level, etc.

Playing the way we did last season, Raheem could play every game.  Playing the way we did yesterday, he will indeed burn out rather quickly.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,491 posts | 232 
      Reply #1772: Sep 23, 2014 10:53:22 pm
      Thought he had an excellent game, apart from the brainfart at the end of normal time, and the pen miss. What a player we have.

Its getting slightly uncomfortable to rely on someone so young to be your best player in the games we have had this season.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #1773: Sep 23, 2014 11:10:53 pm
      Thought he had an excellent game, apart from the brainfart at the end of normal time, and the pen miss. What a player we have.

Its getting slightly uncomfortable to rely on someone so young to be your best player in the games we have had this season.

Should not have played 120mins considering the game on the weekend.

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1774: Sep 23, 2014 11:44:52 pm
      Onus is on this lad this season. It'll show just how mature he is, but in one sense I feel it's unnecessary for a player of such young age to have such expectations. Luis took so much pressure off the young lads shoulders and I feel this helped him significantly. Sure, he'll probably have to mature quicker now but being the top dog here, I hope his perspective on us does not change. I feel he admired playing behind Sturridge and Suarez. Now he is the focal point of Liverpool FC and is expected to win us games on his own.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1775: Sep 23, 2014 11:46:27 pm
      That back pass knocked his confidence I think, didn't look comfortable stepping up for his penalty. Hopefully it wont have a negative impact on him for the next game.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1776: Sep 24, 2014 07:42:42 am
      The only criticism of Raheem is giving/losing the ball away cheaply when in possession when we should be running the clock down, did it in the champions league game and now against Boro, it's just inexperience I know, but has to learn from it. Apart from that he is our most dangerous player. 

Yeah quite right. Apart from that last night though I thought he was head and shoulders above anybody else on the pitch.

He was f**king everywhere.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #1777: Sep 24, 2014 08:32:35 am
      Missed a penalty, and partly caused the equaliser.
      BUT he was still far and away our best player.
      You could see how some of the things he did (like being pushed over, then took a quick free kick to break) he seemed to have learned from Suarez.

His stamina is greatly improved, tho I think the inevitably tiredness caused him to slip up once or twice late on.
      He's certainly becoming a leader. Shame players around him let us down.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,440 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1778: Sep 24, 2014 10:04:31 am
      Too deep at the start to have an effect was better and more effective later in the game but still needs to improve obviously but he kept going, thought he was pretty average to be honest.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1779: Sep 24, 2014 12:14:29 pm
      Ah here we go. Lock him into a contract with a silly release clause of 100+m.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/watch-liverpool-echo-sports-editor-7823965
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #1780: Sep 24, 2014 12:25:11 pm
      Now he is the focal point of Liverpool FC and is expected to win us games on his own.
      Isn't that a bit too much to ask at this moment?

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,299 posts | 766 
      Reply #1781: Sep 25, 2014 06:44:39 am
      I think Raheem deserves a new and improved contract, but unfortunately this will not stop clubs like Real Madrid coming in and making a bid for the player. They seem to have more money than sense tbh.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1782: Sep 25, 2014 04:26:33 pm

They would probably still pay the release clause, ;D!

Yes, give him a new contract, but end of the day, If someone puts in a bid and he wants to leave, so be it, no player is bigger than the club.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1783: Oct 05, 2014 06:45:16 pm
      http://www.espnfc.co.uk/blog/transfer-talk/79/post/2071880/transfer-talk-paris-saint-germain-enter-race-for-raheem-sterlings-signature

Whether this is complete crap or not, don't like to see it, must unsettle players. Certainly does me  :-\
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #1784: Oct 05, 2014 07:30:11 pm
      I have some question marks over his loyalty to our club, hopefully i'm wrong and he signs a new improved contract.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1785: Oct 05, 2014 10:32:22 pm
      I have some question marks over his loyalty to our club

Why?
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1786: Oct 05, 2014 10:33:02 pm
      @TonyBarretTimes: Liverpool made an approach to Raheem Sterling's representatives in the last fortnight & talks on a new deal are set to begin soon.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1787: Oct 06, 2014 12:23:01 am
      I have some question marks over his loyalty to our club, hopefully i'm wrong and he signs a new improved contract.

:roll:
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #1788: Oct 06, 2014 07:16:33 am
      i have worried about his form in the past around the time of contract talks, he seems to not be totally focussed on doing his job which he's still getting paid fortunes for.
      To all those worrying about other clubs interest, it's a good sign obviously. If we had more young players that the big clubs were after, we'd know we had top class talent at the club.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #1789: Oct 06, 2014 07:42:02 am
      He looks like could do with a break, unfortunately with the International's Woy will flog him every game.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1790: Oct 06, 2014 09:39:55 am
      Isn't that a bit too much to ask at this moment?

Indeed, which could explain his drop in performance due to the weight on his shoulders. With Lallana improving with each game that passes, this will hopefully take Raheem out of the spotlight for a good while. Not to forget that Sturridge will soon be returning to the team.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1791: Oct 06, 2014 09:55:31 am

You have no grounds to have such question marks.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #1792: Oct 06, 2014 11:02:41 am

Well I have some question marks over your loyalty to our club. Last week you wanted Brendan sacked now you're on Raheems case :roll:
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1793: Oct 12, 2014 09:50:06 pm
      I see that thick tw*t Hodgson has dropped another clanger with one of our lads with his latest comments in the media opening up Raheem for all sorts of criticism. I didn't think it possible that he could do more damage as England manager than he did when he had the Anfield job but he has made a pretty good fist of it

Quick Reply